Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Re: RE: Re: Brett Brown and Colangelo Season end Presser Had some Key Info 

Post#41 » by bedjawII » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:38 am

sixerswillrule wrote:
sixers238 wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:Colangelo isn't the coach, let the coach do his job and you do yours.

It is good to say before a draft that we could play Ben at PG though so teams don't know what we will do.

Smokescreen? I hope so. You might be onto something with him basically saying we are set at point guard, and that we need a power forward. I guess B.C. did do the same thing with the Noel/Okafor situation...

Ridiculous. He's going to draft Markkanen.

I actually like Markkanen but don't think we drop far enough to warrant taking him. The draft is too deep this year but if we do drop to 7 I think he is in the fold. I've been saying PF is a need for awhile, but saying it less the last 2 months, with DS's improvement. It wouldn't surprise me if they kick the tires on Blake Griffin. EI is also a candidate to come back.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,591

Post#42 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:17 pm

bedjawII wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
sixers238 wrote:
Smokescreen? I hope so. You might be onto something with him basically saying we are set at point guard, and that we need a power forward. I guess B.C. did do the same thing with the Noel/Okafor situation...

Ridiculous. He's going to draft Markkanen.

I actually like Markkanen but don't think we drop far enough to warrant taking him. The draft is too deep this year but if we do drop to 7 I think he is in the fold. I've been saying PF is a need for awhile, but saying it less the last 2 months, with DS's improvement. It wouldn't surprise me if they kick the tires on Blake Griffin. EI is also a candidate to come back.

Well now with those comments (not to mention his draft history) I could definitely see him taking Markkanen at 4 or 5. There are reaches in the draft every year and this could be one of them.

Colangelo wrote:I think the stretch-four position, backing up Dario or starting in front of Dario, whichever it is, if we can find somebody that’s better. We’ve got to probably address that position.

PF is definitely not a need unless we plan to trade Saric. With Dario and Ben that is 48 minutes of PF covered (defensively - Ben is still PG on offense). Ben will already have to play 10-15 minutes at SF - by adding another PF you are basically making him play SF exclusively which is a very bad idea.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#43 » by SparksFly87 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:24 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
bedjawII wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:Ridiculous. He's going to draft Markkanen.

Well now with those comments (not to mention his draft history) I could definitely see him taking Markkanen at 4 or 5. There are reaches in the draft every year and this could be one of them.

Colangelo wrote:I think the stretch-four position, backing up Dario or starting in front of Dario, whichever it is, if we can find somebody that’s better. We’ve got to probably address that position.

PF is definitely not a need unless we plan to trade Saric. With Dario and Ben that is 48 minutes of PF covered (defensively - Ben is still PG on offense). Ben will already have to play 10-15 minutes at SF - by adding another PF you are basically making him play SF exclusively which is a very bad idea.

I think we should trust Bryan Colangelo and Brett Browns expertise over yours.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,678

Post#44 » by the_process » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:41 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
bedjawII wrote:

Both of their expertise is still in question, quite frankly.

Markkanen would be an awful pick except in the scenario where the Sixers win the lottery and two other lower teams also jump the Lakers, pushing that pick to 6. Then you could justify taking Lauri.
long range bomber
Bench Warmer
And1: 52

Re: Brett Brown and Colangelo Season end Presser Had some Key Info 

Post#45 » by long range bomber » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:13 pm

Colangelo is a fool if he signs a high priced PF. The way the league is trending, 3 of our best players (Simmons, Saric, and Cov) are probably best suited to defending PF.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,726

Post#46 » by HotelVitale » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:11 pm

bedjawII wrote: I actually like Markkanen but don't think we drop far enough to warrant taking him. The draft is too deep this year but if we do drop to 7 I think he is in the fold.

There's a 1% chance of us dropping to 7th. Even if we did there's a good chance that at least one and maybe two of Monk/Tatum/Isaac are still available (if there's a Fultz/Ball/Jackson/Fox/Smith top 5). Seems hard to pass on that to draft dude that can only play PF.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#47 » by Sixerscan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:28 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
bedjawII wrote: I actually like Markkanen but don't think we drop far enough to warrant taking him. The draft is too deep this year but if we do drop to 7 I think he is in the fold.

There's a 1% chance of us dropping to 7th. Even if we did there's a good chance that at least one and maybe two of Monk/Tatum/Isaac are still available (if there's a Fultz/Ball/Jackson/Fox/Smith top 5). Seems hard to pass on that to draft dude that can only play PF.

If we get 7 then by definition the lakers pick is at 6. I don't want Markkanen but I could see the argument that if you get the guard/wing at 6 then you could theorhetically afforded to take a PF at 7.

But, as you said, there's less than a 1% chance of that scenario happening. And in the other 99% this doesn't come up.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#48 » by LloydFree » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 pm

the_process wrote:
SparksFly87 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

Markkanen would be an awful pick except in the scenario where the Sixers win the lottery and two other lower teams also jump the Lakers, pushing that pick to 6. Then you could justify taking Lauri.

Markkanen would be an awful pick anywhere in the top 10. If I had to bet money on what player is the most likely 'bust' of all the consensus top 10, I'd put the house on Markkanen
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,678

Post#49 » by the_process » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:27 am

LloydFree wrote:
the_process wrote:
SparksFly87 wrote:

Markkanen would be an awful pick anywhere in the top 10. If I had to bet money on what player is the most likely 'bust' of all the consensus top 10, I'd put the house on Markkanen

I'm not very big on Markkanen, either. The point simply was if they got the number 1 pick, they could get away with taking a shot at 6 on some other guy BC wanted. While you don't want to waste assets, with 3 potential superstars and some good role players you can afford to gamble on upside.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#50 » by SelfishPlayer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:32 pm

The Sixers need speed at guard and/or guards that are lights out shooters. All of this talk of Simmons playing PG obscures that reality. The NBA is a perimeter oriented game that has made it easier for perimeter players to dominate. The Sixers should prioritize drafting one of the guards with their pick. Simmons and Embiid need more speed and agility on the floor especially if Saric and Roco are starting.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#51 » by shawn_hemp » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:55 pm

kriss73 wrote:Add this:

Read on Twitter

Bayless is under contract too.
No Okafor and Anderson.

I count 2 PG, 3 guards, 2 forwards and 2 centers.

Thinking at the backup stretch-4/vet, maybe James Johnson is a target? BC traded for him when he was in Toronto and JJ is FA this summer.

found this interesting. I would imagine Stauskas is on the list for now but would be the first one that could be taken off of it so to speak
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#52 » by Sixerscan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:37 pm

I wouldn't take that list literally. May have just forgotten okafor or Anderson, said stauskas because he was at the conference etc.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#53 » by Unbreakable99 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I wouldn't take that list literally. May have just forgotten okafor or Anderson, said stauskas because he was at the conference etc.

He didn't forget Okafor. Trust me.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers