ImageImageImage

The SF1976 Draft Thread (Final Update On Page 90)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Re: The Official SF1976 off-season thread 

Post#21 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:53 am

I think if nothing else, this deal gives the Sixers more depth at the SG spot, freeing them up to trade Lou Will and bring in some additional draft pieces or depth at other positions.

Plus, you take a chance on Allen returning to his form of a few years ago, and you give Giddens some actual playing time and see what he turns into. If neither work out, what have you lost? Willie Green?

I see NO viable reason as to why this deal shouldn't be done, unless it is due to Green being involved in another package landing us a better return.

Thanks for the update SF! I'd love to see the Sixers take Lawson!
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
SmittyTheGreat
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#22 » by SmittyTheGreat » Wed Jun 3, 2009 4:01 am

I'd take Tony Allen's defense and Giddens' potential over Willie's anything.

And I've been on the Ty Lawson to 76ers bandwagon for the past couple weeks now..glad to see he's their top choice.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,859

Post#23 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jun 3, 2009 4:03 am

Re-sign Miller and draft a Smurf...

Wow.

Hard to contain my enthusiasm over THAT plan.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jun 3, 2009 4:07 am

Got a question SF...

When you say

1) Draft Lawson or Maynor
2) Resign Miller

Are they still going to look to resign Miller even after they've drafted a PG?

And if they don't get Korver or Parker, what is the backup plan there for SG? Lol. Seems crazy to bank on getting 1 of the 2.

Thanks again!
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#25 » by Gsraider » Wed Jun 3, 2009 4:12 am

Hey SF, in light of what you told us about Young possibly being packaged with Dalembert in order to move him and after Jordan failed to mention his name at his PC conference yesterday, should we read anything into that? Please tell me that they aren't being this short sighted. Even if they can't trade Dalembert this year, he should be an asset next year with a big expiring deal, shouldn't he?
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#26 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jun 3, 2009 4:18 am

Its going to VERY hard to move Dalembert for anything of worth imo unless its for anotehr disgruntled player with a decent sized contract. or a young promising piece like Young is involved.

Tons of teams are pinching pennies because of the economy AND because the most highly coveted FA class is coming up in 2010 and everyones trying to free up space and get a shot at a superstar.

I think unless theres a deal that really pops...we hold onto Sam, let him do his usual 8-10 -2 while anchoring our D and then afetr the season, we have a valuable 12 million expiring to dangle at the deadline with ether a likley mid-late 1st rounder (15-20 range) or younger player (speights,smith,lou) and or Willie/Evans' expirings to poss get a really solid piece.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jun 3, 2009 4:19 am

bebop...who do you want them to draft?

I'm just curious. Not trying to start anything.

Smitty,

I've been on the Lawson bandwagon since I saw him as a HS senior at Oak Hill, then followed him for 3 years at my fav college team UNC. I realize the issue of height, short arms, etc. but this guy dominated when healthy in college against some of the best PG's in the NCAA. His assist to turnover ratio was insane. The way he protects the ball, while pulling off crazy moves and making crisp passes through lanes that most PG's wouldn't see, make him an ever better true PG than most of the prospects in this draft.

He regularly got in the lane on 7'0 Centers and scored layups like it was easy. He creates his own space, then he creates contact and draws fouls, then he finishes the play. Not to mention his 3pt shot is vastly improved in the past 2 years. And his defense is good because of his low center of gravity and blinding speed/quickness that allow him to move his feet and stay with a man.

He also has very good strength that allows him to play physical. He is the same height as Chris Paul, but weighs more because he has more muscles, which will help him against taller, stronger guards. His ability to fly up and down the court will also be crucial in the Sixers fast break game, where they will rely on turnover and good defense to creat offensive opportunities. I can't count how many times UNC had a good defensive possession and before anyone could blink, Lawson was laying it up at the other end.

At UNC, he would run his sprints and laps during practice while dribbling a basketball, and he would still beat most of the team down the court sprinting and dribbling.

I caution people to realize his talent will outweight his "physical disadvantages" of being 6'0 (AI, CP3, Johnny Flynn who people love, Patrick Mills) and having short arms.

If people are happy that the Sixers do not draft Lawson, IMO that is a mistake.

Here are some nice videos of what he is capable of doing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0dTOMGsBvo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVIyl09XvIo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1_oVzVx ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqPPQyGz ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxCHPZV ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwl-k0_K ... re=related

This one at about 54 seconds in, he makes a play against a good shot blocker. He scored because of his upper body strength and release point.

If you go through each of those videos, and try to argue the point that he is too short or doesn't have long enough arms, you will notice how many layups he made that were contested by big men. He was somehow able to score with his short arms.

Sure, there is some homerism from my point of view, but I can certainly see why the Sixers would be very interested in him running the fast break and the show here in Philly. Not to mention the way he gets others involved and just doesn't turn the ball over. The videos don't do that part of his game any justice.

Sorry for the scouting report, but I feel that too many people on this board are basing their opinion of Lawson mainly on the "physical stats" and the "hearsay" that he may not be big enough for the NBA. I strongly disagree with that.

Also, Smitty, would your name happen to be related to Steve Smith from the Panthers?
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
SmittyTheGreat
Sophomore

Post#28 » by SmittyTheGreat » Wed Jun 3, 2009 4:22 am

Haha, I have a UNC bias, so that's most of the reason why I'm on the wagon. I just love the dude's game and would go crazy(in a good way) if Stern calls his name when our pick is up.

And nah, it's just a nickname. Although Steve Smith is one of my fav NFL players.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,591

Post#29 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Jun 3, 2009 4:33 am

I'd be fine with Lawson.

Won't we be at the tax after re-signing Miller?
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#30 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jun 3, 2009 4:37 am

willrule...i think we would be very close to it if we resigned Miller.

So its either:
Draft @ 17 BPA
July 1st:Resign Miller

thats our offseason...other than a poss low trade or vet min FA signing.
No MLE...no Korver,no Parker, etc.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Mahorn at the 4
Senior
And1: 7

Post#31 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 9:54 am

sixerfan1976 wrote:I will post here if the hot pictures continue.. :D

lets see how the friday workouts go..but we are real high on Ty Lawson..and I truly get the feeling Maynor and him are 1 and 1a. I dont see us moving up. With Rush,Donyell,Theo etc all free agents...we may get a 2nd rounder to groom since we have some roster space.

its hard projecting miller because draft is before free agency..so me thinks it has to be a point guard at 17.

They want to move dalembert....however they can...if they cant..he wont play much.....Speights and Smith will be in the rotation....

Said it yesterday in another thread...this is their plan

1) Draft Lawson or Maynor
2) Resign Miller
3) Use the MLE on Anthony Parker or Korver
4) Trade Dalembert

Lou or Green could get moved......if the deal made sense...but Lou is a BYC til August I think.

Boston offered us tony allen and Jr Giddens for Green verbally...not sure what that does for us. Probably nothing.

Sixerfan1976,

Are you hearing anything about buying a late first? I think Daye or Hansbrough would be a nice addition to this team later in the 1st. Or, perhaps stash a Calthes in Europe for a year. In re: to the 2nd round, Rice from BC would be a nice backup PG option.

Willie to Boston? I can see why Boston would do this. Green gives them a more reliable player for their rotation. Allen is very athletic, but injury prone. BUT, if he could put it together, we'd have a steal.

Any word on Dalembert interest? Dallas? Phx, if they move Shaq. Wildcard?...Cleveland. They ned an athletic big, esp. when Verajau opts out.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by sixerfan1976 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 11:56 am

we wont buy an extra first..maybe a 2nd.

Thad and Dalembert in a package they are kicking the tires on if they can get an elite 2 guard.

I think they draft a PG regardless of Miller since they dont know what will happen June 1
PrimeTime21
Analyst

Post#33 » by PrimeTime21 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 12:09 pm

I think there are a few teams out there that would be interested in getting Sam this offseason if with their playoff loses fresh in their minds. I can see Cleveland being interested given Big Z's huge flop of a series vs. Howard, Dallas seems possible too, along with Phoenix if big Shaq goes elsewhere. San Antonio would be deadly with Sammy next to Duncan. Yes, Philly will have to take back a bad contract and/or crappy stiff but I still think he is moveable.
Gsraider
Starter

Post#34 » by Gsraider » Wed Jun 3, 2009 12:59 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:Thad and Dalembert in a package they are kicking the tires on if they can get an elite 2 guard.

I kind of hope Stefanski fails here because I think trading Thad will be a big mistake. I also hope that his idea of an elite SG is not B. Gordon or something along those lines. What elite SG can you get by the way? A broken down M. Redd? VC? C'mon.

I just hope that Stefanski doesn't act too aggressively to move Dalembert to make sure his job is secure. One more year and Dalembert goes from untradeable to what should be a very tradeable contract. Why not ressurrect the NO talks for Chandler if you are desperate to boot. Just get Sammy to waive his kicker or have Philly pick it up.
Mahorn at the 4
Senior

Post#35 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 1:00 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:we wont buy an extra first..maybe a 2nd.

Thad and Dalembert in a package they are kicking the tires on if they can get an elite 2 guard.

I think they draft a PG regardless of Miller since they dont know what will happen June 1

Elite 2 guards?

Joe Johnson? Kevin Martin?

Spurs allegedly wanted Dalembert in the past.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,859

Post#36 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jun 3, 2009 1:00 pm

51X3R:

I want them to try to get the Wizards pick at 5 (trading Speights) to draft Curry.

I want them to move up to 11-13 and get whichever PG falls out of the top 10 (Jennings)

I do NOT want them to sit at 17 and draft a 6-foot-NOTHING PG who does not have NBA 3-point range.
Mahorn at the 4
Senior

Post#37 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 1:06 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:51X3R:

I want them to try to get the Wizards pick at 5 (trading Speights) to draft Curry.

I want them to move up to 11-13 and get whichever PG falls out of the top 10 (Jennings)

I do NOT want them to sit at 17 and draft a 6-foot-NOTHING PG who does not have NBA 3-point range.

I agree, Curry needs to be here.

Sixerfan, any word from the club on interest in Curry?

Another 2 guard...Jason Richardson?
Gsraider
Starter

Post#38 » by Gsraider » Wed Jun 3, 2009 2:37 pm

Mahorn at the 4 wrote:Elite 2 guards?

That's my point. For Joe Johnson? Yeah, as much as I love Thad, that is one guy I would have to seriously think about. And, the Hawks could actually use a real center and one who can run with their athletic core. However, would the Hawks really want another SF even if Young is a great prospect? Unless they can move M. Williams, I'm not sure this would work, although I suppose the deal could be expanded and Williams could go to a third team or to Philly as a reserve. Kevin Martin would also be interesting, but would Sacramento want Dalembert when they just drafted Hawes a couple of years ago? As for S. Antonio, they don't have any young SG's that I can think of.

Perhaps if they are really hell bent on this, they should look at the Clips real hard and see if they would consider moving E. Gordon. My understanding is that LA has been interested in moving Kaman for awhile and Young/Thorton could provide a pretty nice F combination down there for years to come. I suppose the biggest incentive for the Clips might be that Dalembert's contract expires a full year before Kaman's does.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#39 » by doctor him » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:23 pm

Mahorn at the 4 wrote:
sixerfan1976 wrote:we wont buy an extra first..maybe a 2nd.

Elite 2 guards?

I'm curious myself at what our management considers an "elite" 2 guard. (Personally, I agree with dealing for a high level 2 guard, but I'd do Iguodala before Young).

For example...if it's Martin or Johnson then yeah...bye Thad. If it's someone of the Ben Gordon ilk, then I'm not sure he qualifies. If it's someone like a Michael Redd (who also I wouldn't consider elite), then I'd be very concerned.

But after Joe Johnson and Kevin Martin...what 2 guard would be acceptable in terms of talent, youth and ceiling?

Eric Gordon? Sure, but I can't see the Clips letting him go
OJ Mayo? See Eric Gordon
JR Smith? Don't think he's elite and don't think there's a fit there.
Rudy Fernandez? Maybe...I like him a lot, but I'm curious what our management thinks about him
Randy Foye? Not good enough
Mike Miller? See Randy Foye
Ray Allen? Too old
Vince Carter? Too old, but not by a whole lot
Tracy McGrady? Screams salary dump
Rip Hamilton? See Vince Carter
Manu Ginobili? Not sure about his age and injury history

And finally

James Harden? Dealing for a pick to draft a guy not in the league yet at this price would be risky

Outside of those (some realistic and others not) options I don't see anyone else for whom to deal.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#40 » by tk76 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:42 pm

I've been worried about a Young/Sam trade for a while. Really disturbing.

By attaching Sam's dead weight to Thad you are devaluing what you can get for Thad. Meanwhile, just wait 1 year, and Sam is a huge expiring, and no longer has negative trade value. Why would you want to take out most promising young player and devalue him by using him to help you unload Sam?

If you are going to unload a promising 20 year old you want to maximize his value to get back the best star you can. Wait 1 year, then you can package a valuable expiring Sam with someone like Thad or Speights for a superstar.

Expiring + young talent + picks = Superstar (a couple get moved like this every year.)

Bad Contract + young talent = only a good player

Return to Philadelphia 76ers