ImageImageImage

SF76 Deadline Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Hooch20
Junior
And1: 18

Re: Sixerfan back re:Stein on ESPN.com: 6ers determined to deal 

Post#41 » by Hooch20 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:55 pm

tk76 wrote:Hooch, I expect the Sixers want more than just expirings back for Iguodala. They want to get out from under Brand or Sam's contracts more than Iguodala's, but are considering using Iguodala as the sweetener.

They would probably do something like
Iguodala
for Camby + Gordan + Jordan but the Cippers would likely balk at that.

I agree 100% with what they want to do, but how likely is it that a team will take on Brand or Sam in a deal? Putting together roughly 20 million in contracts isn't the easiest thing to do. Dallas may be the only team willing to go for it. And it didn't seem like something the Sixers were interested in.

At least for you guys Sam is starting to put up some numbers so that should make things a little easier.
underpressure
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#42 » by underpressure » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:59 pm

So you basically say that moving Iguodala is the only likely scenario to shed some salary? I hardly believe that.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#43 » by Kova » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Believe it or not, but atm, if I had to choose between Dre, Brand and Sam, I'd rather trade the first two. At this point, I'm even against trading Dalembert. Not only because of his recent performances, but also because next season he'll have much more value as expiring.. Other than that, I wouldn't exclude keeping him beyond next season, for a contract around MLE, if he remains this consistent..

Our burden is Iguodala's and Brand's contracts, because they are faaar from performances they owe us, so they must be the first to go if we are going to move from this spot of mediocrity.

Look, lets face it, this team isn't contender even with Phil Jackson.. Blow it up, and get a new coach..
76ers76ers
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#44 » by 76ers76ers » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:02 pm

underpressure wrote:So you basically say that moving Iguodala is the only likely scenario to shed some salary? I hardly believe that.

I believe it.
76ers76ers
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#45 » by 76ers76ers » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:05 pm

Kova wrote:Believe it or not, but atm, if I had to choose between Dre, Brand and Sam, I'd rather trade the first two. At this point, I'm even against trading Dalembert. Not only because of his recent performances, but also because next season he'll have much more value as expiring.. Other than that, I wouldn't exclude keeping him beyond next season, for a contract around MLE, if he remains this consistent..

Our burden is Iguodala's and Brand's contracts, because they are faaar from performances they owe us, so they must be the first to go if we are going to move from this spot of mediocrity.

Look, lets face it, this team isn't contender even with Phil Jackson.. Blow it up, and get a new coach..

Yes, but I do believe Sam will go back to old Sam again. But he could be a factor during his final year of his contract. And if he keeps playing like he is now then, yeah he will be a valuable asset next season.
underpressure
Analyst

Post#46 » by underpressure » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:10 pm

76ers76ers wrote:
underpressure wrote:So you basically say that moving Iguodala is the only likely scenario to shed some salary? I hardly believe that.

I believe it.

Even if we add some incentives like Thad or Speights?
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#47 » by bebopdeluxe » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:18 pm

Based on how he is currently playing, based on the need out there for defensive bigs, and based on the increasingly shorter contract that he has, I am no longer thinking of Dalembert as purely a salary dump. The guy is averaging 9.3 rpg in only 25 minutes - on a per-48 basis, he's #5 in the NBA at 17.2 per...only one behind Howard and Camby...he's 2nd in the league in blocks (and well out in front of the pack in terms of blocks-per-48). A team like Dallas or Houston should WANT him - he would improve their team. Would they give up a lot for him? No...but it is no longer unreasonable to expect at least some cap relief for the guy. And I certainly no longer think we need to package him with a young guy or draft picks to move him.

The only deal right now that I even feel remotely comfortable doing (other than a no-brainer like moving Lou or Willie G...if there is somebody out there that is willing to do a deal) would be packaging Brand and Thad. To my eyes, Brand looks pretty productive - particularly on the offensive end. His defense and rebounding have been no great shakes, but I wonder how much of that is the fact his team and coach SUCK at that...and with a better team and defensive philosophy, it wouldn't surprise me to see him improve in those areas.

My big fear is that EFJ has CRUSHED Thad's value. At the end of last season, Thad would have brought a LOT more than he would bring now. In general, trading anybody other than Iggy would probably be a situation where we bend over and grab our ankles...so why do it? Any deal we make won't bring back any relief from the red-ink that Comcast will see this year...the only thing that will help there is MORE WINS...a team that plays to its potential and gets people excited about coming to see them...and the only way to do that is...

FIRE EDDIE JORDAN

You know...I thought that ruthless business guys like the Roberts boys and Snider were supposed to be smart....right?
Hooch20
Junior
And1: 18

Post#48 » by Hooch20 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:20 pm

underpressure wrote:
76ers76ers wrote:

I believe it.

Is it really worth getting rid of your 2 nice young pieces to get rid of 1 year of Sam?

I would keep the young pieces and move Sam next year when he's got a very valuable expiring contract. Sure you want to rebuild, but making getting rid of a good young player isn't helping the rebuilding.

You guys may not have liked my Clippers deal, but even if it's not us, why not shoot for moving Kapono in an Dre deal?
dilbert719
Sixth Man
And1: 128

Post#49 » by dilbert719 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:20 pm

underpressure wrote:
76ers76ers wrote:

I believe it.

Every indication we have is that the team is unwilling to give up Thad or Speights (or Jrue), so any scenario involving them is unlikely. Since nobody's going to take our contracts without some incentive, and I think teams wouldn't consider Lou to be enough incentive, moving Iguodala with Brand (or, if Stefanski's under orders to destroy this team for the next five years, with Dally) becomes the only likely scenario.
Bryan Colangelo Elton Brand: The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

Daryl Morey: The Solution to All of Life's Problems
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,602

Post#50 » by Slacktard » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:21 pm

How smart can Roberts be? Comcast just bought NBC for crying out loud dude ;)
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#51 » by tk76 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Hooch20 wrote:You guys may not have liked my Clippers deal, but even if it's not us, why not shoot for moving Kapono in an Dre deal?

Like Sam, Kapono comes off the books after next year. No real reason to dump either player jsut to save 1 year of salary...

...Unless Stefanski is under orders to avoid the tax at all costs. Right now they will be a few mil over the tax next year (but then they shed 20M in expirings the following summer.) But say they are 3M over, that translates into 10M lost for Comcast because the 3M is doubled and you lose out on the 4M in revenue sharing that goes to teams under the tax.

So basically being a few mil over the tax for next year could force Ed to make some kind of horrible shirt term move that sets the team back even further... if that is even possible.
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#52 » by Gsraider » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:27 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:My big fear is that EFJ has CRUSHED Thad's value. At the end of last season, Thad would have brought a LOT more than he would bring now. In general, trading anybody other than Iggy would probably be a situation where we bend over and grab our ankles...so why do it? Any deal we make won't bring back any relief from the red-ink that Comcast will see this year...the only thing that will help there is MORE WINS...a team that plays to its potential and gets people excited about coming to see them...and the only way to do that is...

FIRE EDDIE JORDAN

EXACTLY! Why sell low on these guys right now? Why sell any of these guys at all right now with Jordan in place? The team has waited long enough at this point with half the season gone. Even with some sort of revival in the second half, this team is probably already buried deep within the lottery and has a shot at Wall. In the meantime, play Holiday, rebuild Young, and try to find out what you actually have in place with a real coach that actually caters to the strengths of this team. Believe it or not, DiLeo actually had a much better idea of how to use these guys, including with Brand before he went down. Go read Depressedfan.com. That guy is on to something!
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#53 » by sixerswillrule » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:43 pm

I can't believe that we're trying to "dump" a 26 year old all-star caliber player with his entire prime ahead of him along with a guy who has been playing very well lately with 1 year left on his contract! And we need to add more?! WE SHOULD BE GETTING MORE!
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#54 » by bebopdeluxe » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:50 pm

Word, sixerswill rule.

THIS is the magnitude of the damage that "Dumb and Dumber Part 2" have wreaked on this franchise.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#55 » by 51X3RF4N » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Does Portland trading for Dalembert work for any of you? They want Pryz and Oden as a long-term solution, but need some help now.

Dalembert gives them help next to Aldridge at least for this year, then they can ship him out next season since he would be an attractive expiring.

Would that situation create the leverage in our favor? We might be able to pry either a 1st rounder or a decent young guy from them for Dalembert.

On a side note, this is the best news I've heard in a while. I'm glad to know that the Sixers are at least exploring the idea of trading for cap space and rebuilding. I don't know how many more games I can watch where we see overpaid players underperforming. Iggy is just getting *old* in my book. Same lack of energy when he plays, unless he has an open break-away. Then he wants to show off. Or if he hits a game winner. But every other minute of the game he shows no energy, complains ALL THE TIME to the refs because he thinks every time he drives he gets fouled. He misses big shots, he misses outside shots. And to top it all off, he has lost whatever defensive presence he had prior to 2009.

I'm ALL for trading Iggy and packaging him with either Lou, Brand, or Dalembert if it brings back expirings and another 1st rounder.

If we go with Jrue at the PG spot and play him big minutes I think it goes a long way towards the future.

I would also be interested to see how Thad would play stepping out of Iggy's shadow. And if Brand is traded, I'd be very excited to see what Speights can do in a 2 man offensive set with Thad. And you know what? If it all turns out bad and we end up sucking, we get a great player in the draft.

Even just pairing a top 3 pick with Jrue/Thad/Speights, we should be able to attract a big name FA like Bosh, Amare, Wade, etc.

Assuming we could get a mid range 1st rounder from a trade of Iggy/etc., would anyone be opposed to seeing this lineup next season?

Jrue
Evan Turner (top 5)
Thad
Bosh (FA)
Aldrich (top 15-20)

Bench
Lou
Kapono
Carney
Speights
Smith

I would say that is 10 steps forward for this organization after taking about 5 steps back. You have Bosh as your go-to franchise guy instead of Brand/Thad at the PF spot. You have Aldrich instead of Sammy D (Younger, stronger, much higher BBIQ) as your franchise Center. You have Turner instead of Lou/AI/WG as your SG. He is 6'7 and is much stronger than those 3, much better defender, shoots almost as well as any of them, handles the rock as good as most of them, and scores consistently. True SG IMO. Thad steps in for Iggy at the SF spot too. And Jrue takes over as franchise PG instead of Lou.

So you've improved almost every starting spot, while keeping a deep bench and still having some cap space.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
underpressure
Analyst

Post#56 » by underpressure » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Hooch20 wrote:Is it really worth getting rid of your 2 nice young pieces to get rid of 1 year of Sam?

How did you come up with this? I never uttered that I would ever consider moving Sam and Young and Speights for cap relief. That is crazy (even more than your proposal).

The bottom line is that the 76ers have multiple ways to shed some salary. They can move some smaller contracts (Lou, Green, Kapono) or bigger ones (Dalembert, Brand, Iguodala). The question is how they will get rid of them and at which costs. Trading Iguodala for cap space (as mentioned in this thread) is less beneficial for the team's short- and longterm plans than trying to get rid of other players with an incentive (and I am sure, if Snider wants to cut costs, Young and Speights WILL be available).
Welfare Fraud
Starter
And1: 13

Post#57 » by Welfare Fraud » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm all for blowing it up.

If one of our three main young guys are in a trade, I'd want picks or other prospects in return. Aside from that, everyone can go for expiring bums... we need a fresh start.
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#58 » by Gsraider » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:38 pm

Welfare Fraud wrote:Aside from that, everyone can go for expiring bums... we need a fresh start.

A fresh start could also come in the form of a new coach that has a clue. If things still need to be shaken up, at least enhance the value of a few guys first and then trade them. Even still, I'm not sure there should be a fire sale right now based on the job EJ has done. I cannot even imagine a system that could make them look worse then they actually are.
KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Post#59 » by KKell2507 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:39 pm

If we trade Iguodala as a salary dump, that has to honestly be the dumbest thing this franchise could ever do. he is the 39th highest paid player in the NBA. Are there honestly 39 players in the NBA that do more than Iguodala does? 24 players will be playing in the All-Star game next month. So those 24 plus 15 others who dont make the All-Star game are better than Iguodala? No one will ever be able to convince me that he is overpaid other than the argument that ever professional athlete in the world is overpaid. We want to get rid of players but keep our young guys? Iguodala is 25! since when was 25 years old not young too?

Overall I just dont understand the desperation to get rid of salary right now before the deadline when there are like 3 teams willing to add salary. We cant wait til the offseason, when Lebron stays in cleveland, Wade stays in Miami, Amare stays in Phoenix, Bosh stays in toronto, and Joe Johnson stays in Atlanta and the nets, bulls, and knicks are **** out of luck with their cap space and nothing to do with it? You dont think one of them wouldnt bite on Elton Brand, Samuel Dalembert, or Lou Williams then when all of THEIR fans have waited years for this offseason just to come up with nothing? There are more teams under the cap this offseason than there are stars in free agency, someone is going to be more than desperate. Doesnt that still put us under luxury tax for next season unless I am completely missing something?

I would not move a single player before the deadline unless its something like a willie green or jason kapono small swap type thing to shed a little cash. Of course im thinking about whats best for the team and not whats best for my own job like Stefanski might be doing at this point.
Juannydawkins
Junior
And1: 25

Post#60 » by Juannydawkins » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:01 pm

Post moved and combined, see page 6
: )

Return to Philadelphia 76ers