SF76 Deadline Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kevin12
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: SF76 Deadline Thread 

Post#2301 » by Kevin12 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:57 pm

Knux-Future wrote:
Kevin12 wrote:People are doubting Cole Aldrich for the same things that caused Brook Lopez to drop to 10th overall.

LOL.

5 Wins

So?

Are you saying Brook Lopez isn't the best center in the East not named Dwight Howard because his team only has 5 wins?
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,697

Post#2302 » by Negrodamus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:19 pm

Lopez also proved that he had an offensive game in college by avg around 20 a game. Combine that with being 7-0 tall.
Kevin12
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#2303 » by Kevin12 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Lopez also proved that he had an offensive game in college by avg around 20 a game. Combine that with being 7-0 tall.

On a Stanford squad with no weapons.

Are you telling me that Brook Lopez would average 20 points on this Kansas team?
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#2304 » by Negrodamus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Kevin12 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Lopez also proved that he had an offensive game in college by avg around 20 a game. Combine that with being 7-0 tall.

On a Stanford squad with no weapons.

Are you telling me that Brook Lopez would average 20 points on this Kansas team?

He would definitely average more points because he is miles better offensively than Aldrich. And Aldrich wouldn't sniff 20 ppg at Stanford when Lopez was there (back when it was competitive).

Look, I'm not saying Aldrich is bad or will be bad in the league. He will be a serviceable center that will play good defense and may start for a team. I say his absolute ceiling in terms of stats is what Dalembert is currently doing.
radrmd216
Rookie
And1: 8

Post#2305 » by radrmd216 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:45 pm

Once again I think the impact of a quality center is being underrated.

Hopefully the teams in the lottery don't think Aldrich is that good and he falls to the Sixers. If the Sixers do indeed have a pick in the 8-10 range.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#2306 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:40 pm

Yeah, even without much offensive ability, a legit center that can defend and rebound well is pretty valuable. I'm not talking about Aldrich here, just in general. But he would be a good pick in the 2nd half of the lottery.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2307 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:50 am

Aldrich has a much superior post game to Dalembert. He isn't "athletic" okay, so he can't jump out of the gym. So what? He has a solid offensive game, and yes he brings the rebounding and shotblocking.

He's a top-5 pick, give me a Center with post skills, rebounding skills and blocking skills and I'll tell you we have a great prospect. People forget how bad the 5 position is these days. We get a pretty good 5 prospect and all of a sudden we rail on that prospect?

I agree with Kevin12: Aldrich will suffer in the draft the same way Lopez did.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#2308 » by 51X3RF4N » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:34 am

Aldrich would likely be a decent pick.

He could start for the Sixers after Dalembert expires. He could play next to Brand and then Speights off the bench. He could turn out to be a pretty solid NBA player. But I don't think STAR when I watch him play. And I don't think he can be a top 10 Center in the NBA. However, probably a solid pick. The problem is then who plays SG? We NEED to address this position through the draft or Free Agency/Trade market.

By the way, what I find interesting about Meeks is not his list of strengths...they are what most NBA SG's are: Shooting, 3 pt shooting, free-throw shooting, pull up jumper....etc.

I think there is one key strength that Meeks posseses that matters: Role Player Potential. Not star potential. Not even starter potential. Role player. Willie Green's replacement and nothing more.

However, I also find his weaknesses very telling....

- Weak Scoring instincts
- Average ball-handler
- Ability to defend position at next level?
- Weak Defensive awareness
- Did not win in college
- Limited upside?
- Average athleticism
- Undersized
- Weak Ability to create separation from defender

That is NOT what I want to see in our new SG. Also, very similar to Willie Green....
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#2309 » by freshie2 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:47 pm

So let me get this...Iguodala is the sole reason the Sixers are underachieving, and Aldrich is a top 5 pick?? Did my flight land on the right planet?? If Aldrich falls to the low teens, and that is where the Sixers are picking, it is a reasonable pick, but I don't think you can put the hope of your franchise on him. If you are picking in the top 10, there are big men with tremendous potential that you would have to pick over him. It is a superstar league, and Aldrich is a great addition to a team with superstars, but you can't count on him being that superstar.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#2310 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:05 pm

I can't understand how anyone is saying anything about Jodie Meeks' "weak scoring ability". That is probably the one thing he can really hang his hat on. Has he been putting up numbers in the pros? No, because he was buried on the bench.

Unless you guys watch numerous games of Jodie Meeks, your analysis is very crude and uninformed.

It would be like me giving an evaluation on Evan Turner. I have seen one game the kid has played in. Therefore I cannot base anything about his game on that one game.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#2311 » by tk76 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:22 pm

sweetlou23 wrote:sorry, couldn't let the kemp comment pass. kemp was a very skilled player

Kemp was a phreaking monster for seven plus years. If whomever you are talking about can be kemp in his prime for 3 or 4, you have to take him. in case you forgot....

stats
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... psh01.html

visual
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQbUastCD5E

Thanks for that great youtube link. Really enjoyed those high flying Seattle teams. Reign Man was a force to behold. He had 9 great years during which he was one of the most exciting players to watch- would love to have a player like him on the Sixers. He was the PF version of 'Nique.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#2312 » by 51X3RF4N » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Negrodamus...

My post was taken directly from DraftExpress's evaluation of Meeks pre-draft. So maybe your gripe should be with the people who watched pretty much all of his games and scouted/analyzed him for years.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#2313 » by Lapinski » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:58 am

freshie2 wrote:So let me get this...Iguodala is the sole reason the Sixers are underachieving, and Aldrich is a top 5 pick?? Did my flight land on the right planet?? If Aldrich falls to the low teens, and that is where the Sixers are picking, it is a reasonable pick, but I don't think you can put the hope of your franchise on him. If you are picking in the top 10, there are big men with tremendous potential that you would have to pick over him. It is a superstar league, and Aldrich is a great addition to a team with superstars, but you can't count on him being that superstar.

Agree with your assessment of Aldrich. He may only turn out to be Greg Ostertag, which is who he reminds me of. Anyone thinking he is anything more is setting themselves up for disappointment in my opinion.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#2314 » by Lapinski » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:00 am

51X3RF4N wrote:Negrodamus...

My post was taken directly from DraftExpress's evaluation of Meeks pre-draft. So maybe your gripe should be with the people who watched pretty much all of his games and scouted/analyzed him for years.

Be careful of the "draft experts". Jerome Mosio was once thought of having Kevin Garnett type game.

I'm not trying to get in a dispute but the facts are Meeks was a part-time player his freshman year, injured his sophomore year, and blew the joint up when he got heavy minutes his junior year. His three years are so different it is hard to tell which player he was.
SJSF
Banned User
And1: 310

Post#2315 » by SJSF » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:19 am

Th only way this team is going to get good is if we get lucky with the draft. And unload some big contracts

Return to Philadelphia 76ers