Draft slot 5-8

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

SJSF
Banned User
And1: 310

Re: Draft slot 5-8 

Post#21 » by SJSF » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:31 pm

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/donatas-motiejunas

Can this guy play you think? I am more of a pro basketball guy not much on college. Why i am asking you guys about this.
SJSF
Banned User

Post#22 » by SJSF » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:33 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:
Gsraider wrote:The list opens up quite a bit if you trade the #5-7 pick (based on estimations) along with a player. That increases the salary you can take back, plus it could potentially open up other avenues if someone like Speights, Young or Iguodala is the player. By the same token, you could lower your expectations and try to use that pick to get someone to take Brand's contract if Philly truly wants to move it. As for trading the pick alone for a player, that is pretty difficult when you consider it could probably only be done for guys that make almost nothing since Philly is over the cap.

Sure... but for who? What SGs are out there that you want?

Also, I absolutely would not package the #6 with Brand in order to get a team to take his deal. I'd rather keep Brand and add a good player than give the #6 away with Brand for expirings.

I agree. I would not trade Brand especially when we don't have any halfcourt players besides him. At least in the halfcourt we can go to him and he can get his own shot. We don't have any other players that can do that. Maybe Jrue can.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#23 » by dbodner » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:36 pm

SJSF wrote:http://www.nbadraft.net/players/donatas-motiejunas

Can this guy play you think? I am more of a pro basketball guy not much on college. Why i am asking you guys about this.

He doesn't play in college.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by dbodner » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Wes Johnson smells of Al Thornton at worst and is merely duplicating what we have in Thad (better outside shooter, lesser inside player than Thad) at best. A non-dominant combo forward with an average to below average handle and one who will be 23 in July.

If Wes Johnson doesn't share any of the strengths of either Thornton or Thad, how are they his comparisons? Is everyone with a below average handle (and I don't think Johnson's is as bad as either) now compared to Thad?

The key to Johnson, for me, is whether his defense translates. He has great defensive tools, and effort doesn't seem to be a problem, but Syracuse plays almost exclusively zone. If he's a + defender in the NBA I think he's worth a top 5 pick.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#25 » by tk76 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:55 pm

He's certainly worth a top 5 pick this year... but I'm not sure how he stacks up against similar prospects in the past.

is it safe to say he is clearly a notch below Melo when he came out? Melo was more of a natural scorer, while Wes had to learn to be dominant at the college level... but I guess you can say the same about Turner.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#26 » by Sixersftw » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 pm

I think it is safe to say he is a couple of notches lower. I remember melo getting consideration for the 1st pick in an "all-time good" draft.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by dbodner » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Yeah, he's not 'melo. Melo's offensive game is much more diverse.
F-Stop
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#28 » by F-Stop » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:29 am

If we get any of these slots please.. We need to trade it with Miami - Wolves - Memphis. We need to address multiple positions and these 4 slots represent complimentary players. Jumpshooter & Shotblocker needed. Let somebody else get excited and draft that Max Potential guy at 5-8. We have business to attend to. Willie Warren - Solomon Alibi - Lazar Hayward - Larry Sanders. These are the type of people we need to fill out our roster, reduce cap space. Dalembert probably will not be here after next season so his skill set needs to be replaced and will still have that little Jumper issue going on.
Make them respond to your way of playing not the other way around
SJSF
Banned User

Post#29 » by SJSF » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:31 pm

Skates wrote:The more I watch Monroe, well actually I won't get to watch him any more, the less enamored of him I am at the NBA level. He doesn't have much lift and isn't center sized. I don't think he can get his shot off down low at the next level and he doesn't have much of a jumper.

Aldritch is no great shakes, but watching him I agree with one of the draft sites that called him Joel Pryzbilla with some offensive skills, which isn't horrible for a role player type center.

It would take a real idiot for any of Cousins, Favors Turner or Wall to last past number four (or possibly a blow up by Cousins along the way). Favors is the type who will blow people away in workouts.

I would not trade a lottery pick for him, but I would move a guy like Speights (whose stock is dropping badly IMO) for Anthony Morrow from GS. Also, any move to trade Iggy needs to bring back a center or shooting guard.

I agree we need to trade Iggy for a SG. And then draft a big.
KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Post#30 » by KKell2507 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:28 pm

Slot 5-8 would be the worst case scenario. If we cant get in the top 4 to get a guaranteed Wall, Turner, Favors, Or Cousins we absolutely have to trade down. Trade down with anyone who has multiple picks or willing to give up firsts next year. Only player I would even half consider is Ed Davis, but i feel we have a terrible draft if we come out of this draft with nothing but Ed Davis. Trade down and get multiple picks. Id much rather have Xavier Henry/James Anderson and Larry Sanders than one mediocre player.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by dbodner » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:31 pm

at libertyballers we're calling this tanking think missionwtf (Wall-Turner-Favors). I do anything I can, trade anyone I need, to get one of those 3. those are the 3 I would have full confidence in drafting on draft night.

If I had to have a 4th, it would be Wesley Johnson over Cousins. Cousins is #5 on my draft board. I'd be fairly confident with either of those 2.

After 5 gets dicey for me.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,506

Post#32 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:26 pm

The draft has talent but lacks those franchise changing players I think. I'd add Monroe to the list if he changes his mind and enters the draft.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#33 » by Cru Thik » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:53 pm

This euro kid Donatas Motiejunas is he really a top 10 talent in this years draft?
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#34 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Cru Thik wrote:This euro kid Donatas Motiejunas is he really a top 10 talent in this years draft?

I haven't seen anything on the kid but I trust dbodner and he didn't sound impressed at all.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#35 » by doctor him » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:08 pm

It was said earlier but the drop off between #5 and #6 in many drafts is pretty staggering. This one included.

I feel really good about any of the top 5 (we know who they are), so let's say we get slot #6 (which is looking likely).

My first choice there is Aldrich. I think he's athletic enough and tough enough to defend in this league and he's a decent offensive player. I think he could well end up as a 12-9-2 guy which I'll take out of my #6 pick.

After that I like Monroe. No he's not super athletic, but the kid can play ball. He can pass is and he can shoot it for a big. To me he sort of reminds me of a Danny Manning type if I squint. He's not a star in the league, but I think he'll have a good 10 year career.

After that Whiteside intriugues me. No I haven't seen him, but if the "Marcus Camby with a jumper" label is anywhere close to true then you have to look at him. Looks like a classic boom or bust prospect, but it's not like we don't have time to wait.

We all know we need a 2 and none are out there and if the draft breaks with us getting a 4/5 man, then I think it's going to end up with us dealing for a 2 using some combination of Iguodala,Speights and some expiring contract(s).
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by dbodner » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:15 pm

fyi whiteside is almost guaranteed to come out....because its looking like he's going to lose his academic eligibility. it's also why he lost a year after high school and he's going to be 21 by the time the draft hits.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#37 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Or deal Iguodala for a second draft pick. Either the Memphis deal discussed in the fantasy trade forum, or you hope Minnesota drops and you entice them with Iguodala, who would be a cornerstone 3 for them, considering Evan Turner would probably be off the board and they don't need a big.

Evan Turner/Favors would be a heck of a draft.

PG-Jrue Holiday
SG-Evan Turner
SF-Thaddeus Young
PF-Elton Brand
C-Derrick Favors
redemption
Junior
And1: 20

Post#38 » by redemption » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Talking to a friend who goes to Marshall yesterday. He is not impressed with Whiteside. Says his room looks like a shrine to himself with posters and pictures of him all over. Pretty stuck on himself.

Said he threw off his jersey after his last game and said he couldn't wait to play for a 'real team'...

Which, of course, rules out the Sixers, as currently constituted!

redemption
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#39 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:36 pm

That rules him out from a team perspective: Dude, you go to freaking Marshall. my big problem apart from your stinking attitude is that what games have you played agaInst big competition?

If he shows those kind of attitude problems, then he'll drop in the draft.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#40 » by SparksFly87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:40 pm

But can he help us win ball games?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers