Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Re: 2013 

Post#1881 » by Next Coming » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:35 pm

treiz wrote:
5DOM wrote:
Next Coming wrote:
If you had a choice who'd you take?

You are asking a Chelsea fan. Wanted Mourinho back at Chelsea the moment he left. I'm not a fan of tiki-taka football either, so Pep wouldn't even be my second choice if I could choose.

Yeah find it nonsensical when people complain about 'entertainment', Arsenal are arguably the most entertaining side in the world ever since Wenger took over, doesn't stop everybody having a go at Wenger for the last 9 years, at the end of the day sport is all about winning and especially in today's football where results are everything. Look at AVB in his time here for example.

Would rather win boring than lose looking good.

With that in mind I'd ask Arsenal fans (or any other), would rather lose boringly 1-0 against Hull in the FA Cup final, or lose 4-3 but a very entertaining game? Think the answer is pretty obvious.

Can see both arguments really. It's a game at the end of the day. Id rather my team always play fun than ten men behind the ball nonsense.

You spend that type of money there should be a responsibility to play in an attractive type of way.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#1882 » by 5DOM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:37 pm

Klopp, Simeone, van Gaal, Hiddink, Big Sam, Pulis, Di Canio etc.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1883 » by 5DOM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Next Coming wrote:Can see both arguments really. It's a game at the end of the day. Id rather my team always play fun than ten men behind the ball nonsense.

You spend that type of money there should be a responsibility to play in an attractive type of way.

1) Attractive football is subjective
2) Who says you have to play attractive football
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1884 » by Next Coming » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:02 pm

5DOM wrote:Klopp, Simeone, van Gaal, Hiddink, Big Sam, Pulis, Di Canio etc.

Loooooool
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1885 » by Next Coming » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:05 pm

5DOM wrote:
Next Coming wrote:Can see both arguments really. It's a game at the end of the day. Id rather my team always play fun than ten men behind the ball nonsense.

1) Attractive football is subjective
2) Who says you have to play attractive football

Everything is subjective. Would you honestly rather watch a team set up to play attacking football or defensive, muddy the water type football?

You spend all that money? Why not entertain?
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1886 » by 5DOM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:24 pm

Next Coming wrote:Everything is subjective. Would you honestly rather watch a team set up to play attacking football or defensive, muddy the water type football?

I prefer a team built around solid defence, and unlike many, I don't enjoy watching Barcelona style of football.

Success is the surest entertainment. We had a team that scored 100+ in a season, but the best moment of the last decade came when we defended with 11 men. Chelsea has no responsibility to entertain Liverpool fans.
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#1887 » by No_20 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:25 pm

How to beat a Mourinho team:

Defend and hit em on the counter.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#1888 » by MaliBrah » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:33 pm

No_20 wrote:How to beat a Mourinho team:

atletico couldn't defend and counter a team that wasn't attacking. Chelsea came in and did what they had to do with hazard and eto'o out. Put them selves in a good position going home.
No_20
Veteran

Post#1889 » by No_20 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:35 pm

Chelsea's CL semi-final scores under Mourinho: 0-0, 0-1, 1-0, 0-1, 0-0. 1 goal scored in 480 mins (inc extra time)

Would be terrible for football if they won the CL.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
No_20
Veteran

Post#1890 » by No_20 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:42 pm

MaliBrah wrote:
No_20 wrote:How to beat a Mourinho team:

atletico couldn't defend and counter a team that wasn't attacking. Chelsea came in and did what they had to do with hazard and eto'o out. Put them selves in a good position going home.

The most important thing for Atletico was to not concede at home.

Thats the bad thing about the away goal rule.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#1891 » by MaliBrah » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:45 pm

the away goal rule is stupid aha , I hate it.
IronChef
Head Coach
And1: 432

Post#1892 » by IronChef » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:18 am

treiz wrote:
5DOM wrote:
Next Coming wrote:
If you had a choice who'd you take?

You are asking a Chelsea fan. Wanted Mourinho back at Chelsea the moment he left. I'm not a fan of tiki-taka football either, so Pep wouldn't even be my second choice if I could choose.

Yeah find it nonsensical when people complain about 'entertainment', Arsenal are arguably the most entertaining side in the world ever since Wenger took over, doesn't stop everybody having a go at Wenger for the last 9 years, at the end of the day sport is all about winning and especially in today's football where results are everything. Look at AVB in his time here for example.

Would rather win boring than lose looking good.

With that in mind I'd ask Arsenal fans (or any other), would rather lose boringly 1-0 against Hull in the FA Cup final, or lose 4-3 but a very entertaining game? Think the answer is pretty obvious.

If it's a single game, a cup final, I'd rather win boring than lose exciting, but they're not mutually exclusive. You can lose boring and win exciting. I'd ultimately rather have my teams philosophy be to attack and play quick football, than dull, defensive football. I couldn't watch that kind of game every week, it'd drive me insane.

If I had the choice for next season between Wenger or Mourinho, I'd take Wenger. Aware of the fact that I may be in the minority for that one.
Massimo wrote:Arsene wenger for the president.
IronChef
Head Coach
And1: 432

Post#1893 » by IronChef » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:24 am

5DOM wrote:
Next Coming wrote:Everything is subjective. Would you honestly rather watch a team set up to play attacking football or defensive, muddy the water type football?

I prefer a team built around solid defence, and unlike many, I don't enjoy watching Barcelona style of football.

Success is the surest entertainment. We had a team that scored 100+ in a season, but the best moment of the last decade came when we defended with 11 men. Chelsea has no responsibility to entertain Liverpool fans.

Barcelona play the dullest form of attacking football there is though, it can be great, but it can be very boring too. Prime Arsenal were fast, strong, and full of flair, and that is the kind of football I'd like Arsenal to get back too.t

It's not just the defensive football that bugs me with, it's all the little nonsense that always seems to come with it. The chippy little fouls just to break up play, lightly kicking the ball away every free kick, taking an age over every set piece, all that stuff drives me insane. It makes for an awful game for viewers, imo.
Massimo wrote:Arsene wenger for the president.
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#1894 » by DD12 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:02 am

Exactly.

For example, if you wanna see some beautiful attacking scenes, you should have watched Bayern Munchen. Their counters were unstoppable and they played a great season with magnificent football.

So coming up with Barcelona's disgusting style is a bit excessive. They are even more boring than Today's Chelsea.
MiaFLSurf
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#1895 » by MiaFLSurf » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 am

Winning is entertaining.

Winning.

Thats all I care about.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1896 » by 5DOM » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:20 am

IronChef wrote:If it's a single game, a cup final, I'd rather win boring than lose exciting, but they're not mutually exclusive. You can lose boring and win exciting. I'd ultimately rather have my teams philosophy be to attack and play quick football, than dull, defensive football. I couldn't watch that kind of game every week, it'd drive me insane

If this happened every week, that would drive me insane too because eventually you need to score to achieve your goals, but I think there's a reason to be satisfied with (or even entertained by) today's performance for Chelsea fans at least. Goalless draw obviously isn't the greatest result, but avoiding a loss in what is only the first of the two-legged tie gives us a chance next week. And of course it's not we go for a goalless draw every week. We are 3rd in goals scored and it's certainly not because of lack of trying.

IronChef wrote:It's not just the defensive football that bugs me with, it's all the little nonsense that always seems to come with it. The chippy little fouls just to break up play, lightly kicking the ball away every free kick, taking an age over every set piece, all that stuff drives me insane. It makes for an awful game for viewers, imo.

I could do without the gamesmanship myself, but it happens at all levels of football, and every team does it. I'm afraid that won't change.
No_20
Veteran

Post#1897 » by No_20 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 am

Plucky little brave Chelsea fighting their way to get a draw against super rich Atletico.

Btw if you are wondering where the rest of the Atletico players are: Free or on loan.
Maex
Senior
And1: 180

Post#1898 » by Maex » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:02 am

Sadly this game was as boring as expected.
Maex
Senior
And1: 180

Post#1899 » by Maex » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:15 am

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,486

Post#1900 » by cgf » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:33 am

While winning ugly is better than losing pretty, see West Germany - The Netherlands, winning pretty is best of all, so those very same Germans in the 70s, when they even out total football'd the Dutch. Dortmund have won pretty, arsenal of yore won pretty, Bayern last year won pretty. Chelsea have the guns to win pretty against all but the truly top of the top, and yet Mou has them bunkering against peers and even lesser sides.

That I do dislike. It's why I don't have the same disdain for Italy 2006 or us in 2002. If you're maximizing your limited talent that's one thing, but that's not what we saw.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Return to The General Soccer Board