Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: The Official North American Soccer League Thread 

Post#41 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:03 am

CSA, CFL and NASL to launch Canadian league

CSN has confirmed that the CSA is involved in negotiations with the CFL and NASL to launch an all-Canadian league.

There could be as many as seven teams involved, all affiliated with local CFL teams and playing in CFL stadiums.

Hamilton's Bob Young is said to be the leading voice on the CFL side. The Ti-Cats owner was previously involved in professional soccer in Carolina. Although he had a falling out with Traffic Sports, sources say that relationship has been healed.

The league would likely begin play in 2016, which the possibility of up to two teams coming in for 2015 (Hamilton and Calgary have been suggested).

The three MLS markets will likely opt out. There is no word on whether teams independent of CFL teams (with the exception of the pre-existing FC Edmonton) will be considered. It's likely that such arrangements would be considered after the league was established.

The league would be affiliated with the American NASL. The format would likely resemble Major League Baseball with two distinct leagues operating in close cooperation. There would be some inter-league play and the Soccer Bowl would likely be played between the two champions.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index ... ague-r4701

Finally! I am so happy this country will have it's own domestic league. Partnering with the CFL makes so much sense. Stadiums, Ticketing, Staff, Marketing all already in place.
DIEHARD_005
Starter
And1: 902

Post#42 » by DIEHARD_005 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:27 am

Skeptical.

Not sure how a league of all Canadian clubs will function without teams in Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:56 am

DIEHARD_005 wrote:Skeptical.

Not sure how a league of all Canadian clubs will function without teams in Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal.

With the CFL's backing it will work I think. They have the money and the know how to run a small domestic league.

Plus both Vancouver and Montreal are interested, teams would just be located in Victoria and Quebec City instead.

A 8 team league with big pockets backing them is a great start in my opinion.
The Watcher
Senior
And1: 171

Post#44 » by The Watcher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:31 am

Ozzy, please stop bumping your own personal interests to A BASKETBALL FORUM.

You shamelessly lock threads that you consider to be in any way off-topic/irrelevant, and then bump your own threads based on your own personal interests.

I am well-aware that you have officially filed it under the "General Soccer Board", but this topic should not appear on the TORONTO RAPTORS BASKETBALL FORUM. It's behavior like this that has made you one of the most maligned moderators on this forum.

Almost nobody in the RealGM Raptors basketball community cares about a CFL-backed Canadian domestic soccer league, except you. ESPECIALLY during the peak of free agency, when many basketball-starved fans are constantly clicking the "refresh" button to see if there is any news about where LeBron is going.

If you love the Raptors board like I think you do, please take this as constructive feedback that you are in fact hurting something that you love so dearly.

Sincerely,

The Watcher
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:54 am

The Watcher wrote:Ozzy, please stop bumping your own personal interests to A BASKETBALL FORUM.

You shamelessly lock threads that you consider to be in any way off-topic/irrelevant, and then bump your own threads based on your own personal interests.

I am well-aware that you have officially filed it under the "General Soccer Board", but this topic should not appear on the TORONTO RAPTORS BASKETBALL FORUM. It's behavior like this that has made you one of the most maligned moderators on this forum.

Almost nobody in the RealGM Raptors basketball community cares about a CFL-backed Canadian domestic soccer league, except you. ESPECIALLY during the peak of free agency, when many basketball-starved fans are constantly clicking the "refresh" button to see if there is any news about where LeBron is going.

If you love the Raptors board like I think you do, please take this as constructive feedback that you are in fact hurting something that you love so dearly.

Sincerely,

The Watcher

I haven't locked a thread on the Raptors forum in over two years. I'm not a Moderator on that forum.

I do and will continue to promote soccer on that forum in a way to grow this board though. I don't think it hurts nor hinders the enjoyment of the Raptors forum as the topics quickly drop off the main page.

I find this pretty funny considering just a few days ago someone posted with the exact opposite view of you about the way I am promoting soccer on RealGM.

Double Helix wrote:Just wanted to chime in and share that I like these updates on the main Raptors board that then re-direct to the applicable forums.

If TFC makes a crazy signing I would like to know about it. If the Jays add a quality pitcher via trade I would like to know about it as it's happening. If there's a crazy UFC fight I had forgot about I do appreciate the reminder. If there's a crazy off topic Canada story that's big news I would like to know about it.

These re-direct updates are great. They fade down the main page just fine in due time and because they're re-directs they can't be bounced back up and clutter the Raptors main board. It's been a great addition to off topic stories and events. I just wanted to share that.

Thanks,
DH

Just proves you can't please everyone. Some will always like it, some will always hate it. Just ignore the threads if you have no interest in soccer, it's that simple.
The Watcher
Senior
And1: 171

Post#46 » by The Watcher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:41 am

LittleOzzy wrote:
The Watcher wrote:Ozzy, please stop bumping your own personal interests to A BASKETBALL FORUM.

Sincerely,

The Watcher

I haven't locked a thread on the Raptors forum in over two years. I'm not a Moderator on that forum.

I do and will continue to promote soccer on that forum in a way to grow this board though. I don't think it hurts nor hinders the enjoyment of the Raptors forum as the topics quickly drop off the main page.

I find this pretty funny considering just a few days ago someone posted with the exact opposite view of you about the way I am promoting soccer on RealGM.

Double Helix wrote:Just wanted to chime in and share that I like these updates on the main Raptors board that then re-direct to the applicable forums.

If TFC makes a crazy signing I would like to know about it. If the Jays add a quality pitcher via trade I would like to know about it as it's happening. If there's a crazy UFC fight I had forgot about I do appreciate the reminder. If there's a crazy off topic Canada story that's big news I would like to know about it.

These re-direct updates are great. They fade down the main page just fine in due time and because they're re-directs they can't be bounced back up and clutter the Raptors main board. It's been a great addition to off topic stories and events. I just wanted to share that.

Thanks,
DH

Just proves you can't please everyone. Some will always like it, some will always hate it. Just ignore the threads if you have no interest in soccer, it's that simple.

I actually agree with DH about re-directing BIG news.

This is not big news. It's a crappy domestic soccer league with what are likely semi-professional or amateur players. The MLS is not even considered a world-class league, and this will be a pretty poor derivative of that - it's like the minor leagues of the minor leagues.

What's next: Canadian domestic volleyball league news? Go Cart Grand Prix of North America?

I don't know why this bothers me so much, but it does. With that said, you aren't going to stop what you're doing and I'm not going to stop commenting when I think it's a waste of text on my screen.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: North American Soccer League (NASL) Discussion Thread 

Post#47 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Apr 7, 2015 7:41 pm

POWER RANKINGS | Week 1

Here are the rankings after the first week of action:

1 – Tampa Bay Rowdies

The Rowdies posted the most impressive victory on opening weekend. With the defending champions, the San Antonio Scorpions, celebrating their 2014 triumph before the game, the Rowdies ended the party swiftly. With an opening goal in the 10th minute from Stefan Antonijevic, the Rowdies never looked back to record their first three points of the Thomas Rongen Era.

2 – Jacksonville Armada FC

What a way for the Armada FC to begin in the NASL. Jemal Johnson scored just 12 seconds into the game, setting a new Modern Era record for the fastest goal and sending the Armada FC on their way to a convincing victory over FC Edmonton. Jacksonville kept the theme of breaking records going, as their inaugural game attracted 16,164 fans - the largest ever crowd in the Modern Era. Alhassane Keita and Marcos Flores also opened their Armada FC scoring accounts in the win, putting the finishing touches on a dream debut.

3 – Carolina RailHawks

Powered by Tiyi Shipalane’s vibrant display on Saturday, the RailHawks opened up their season with a 3-1 win over Ottawa Fury FC at WakeMed Soccer Park, a perennially tough place to play for visitors. Simone Bracalello, brought in to add another veteran presence, scored a goal in his RailHawks debut and Hunter Gilstrap, also making his club debut, kept the momentum going for the home side with his penalty save in the first half.

4 – New York Cosmos

In Raúl’s debut with the New York Cosmos, on the road at Fort Lauderdale, the club secured all three points. It was a scrappy game from the visitors, as Leo Fernandes’ header was the lone tally in the game. The Cosmos, who at times had trouble taking all three points in these type of games last season, will be buoyed heading into their travels to Indy after their gritty performance.

5 – Atlanta Silverbacks

In Gary Smith’s coaching debut, the Silverbacks nearly came away with all three points at home against Indy. Shaka Bangura, starting up top for the home side, produced a strong game and scored the club’s lone goal in the second half. Jonathan Okafor also had an impressive opening performance in the 1-1 draw. One thing is for sure - the Silverbacks have a team that could prove to be very competitive this season.

http://www.nasl.com/news/2015/04/07/pow ... gs--week-1

Anyone watching NASL soccer this season?
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by LittleOzzy » Tue May 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Another team coming to Canada.

NASL expansion announcement in Hamilton could take place in the next month

This past weekend Tim Horton's Field officially hosted its first ever soccer event. While the kickoff for League 1 Ontario's women's division did not draw a large number of fans it did provide a glimpse of what the stadium has to offer soccer fans in the area.

While the L1O games on Saturday were a test run for the venue the real debut will come this weekend when it plays host to the Canadian Women's National team as they take on England in their final tuneup for the Women's World Cup which is just around the corner now.

That friendly is very close to being sold out with only a few dozen tickets remaining to be sold as of Tuesday afternoon. It will show fans just what Tim Horton's Field can do as a host venue for soccer with 24,000 fans in attendance.

The Ticats ownership group is hopeful that this game will result in an increase in excitement for soccer in the city of Hamilton. That increased excitement will hopefully carry over to the Pan Am games in July which are selling well but not trending towards a complete sellout.

According to a report in the Toronto Star the organizers expect the knockout round matches to be sellouts but not all of the group stage games. That is not surprising considering the size of the venue and the number of games that it will host in a short period of time.

Getting soccer in the forefront of Hamiltonians minds is great news for the Ticats group as they work to secure a professional team for the city. It seems to be something that they are set to capitalize on as Waking the Red has learned that the ideal time for an expansion announcement in Hamilton would be at some point in the next month.

Timing it between the CanWNT friendly and the Pan Am games would allow the ownership group to use both events to create buzz about the new professional team and take advantage of soccer coverage in the city being at what will likely be an all-time high. Add in Canada hosting the Women's World Cup and the Ticats are just hoping to make the most of soccer being on Canadians mind this summer.

The expansion plans for Hamilton do not seem to be completed yet as they are still in talks with NASL but the two sides appear to be making progress with sources close to the league indicating that getting things done in Hamilton is a top priority for the league.

Hamilton should be next in line for NASL expansion with the league having announced Miami FC as their 12 team for 2016. The announcement that NASL would potentially be going toe-to-toe with MLS in the city of Miami was greeted with some mixed reactions by observers of the league who questioned the viability of that market and the need for further expansion in the state of Florida.

Miami would be the 12th team in the league with Virginia and Oklahoma City both unlikely to ever actually take to the field after being announced as expansion teams. With 12 teams in the league NASL is now able to add another expansion team in Canada while still abiding by the rules set forth by USSF for their division 2 sanctioning. Only 25% of teams in the league can be based outside of the United States which means that the league now has enough American teams in place to allow for them to add a third Canadian club.

To be fair, NASL could have made Hamilton their 12th franchise without breaking that 25% rule but the option to expand in Miami came out of nowhere and it seems like it was too good for the league to turn down. In fact, some close to the situation have said that there was only a period of 3 months between the league learning of the Miami group's interest and the expansion announcement. NASL has already been working with the Hamilton group for more than 3 months and should now be next in line barring any other groups with someone like Paolo Maldini connected to them.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2015/5/26/8 ... n-the-next

Anyone in Hamilton excited about Soccer coming to the city?
bigscrims
Junior
And1: 112

Post#49 » by bigscrims » Tue May 26, 2015 10:29 pm

Isn't there a TFC forum or something on this site? Why is this thread on the Raptors forum?

Not trying to be dick-ish, but this board gets too cluttered as it is...
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by LittleOzzy » Wed May 27, 2015 12:34 am

bigscrims wrote:Isn't there a TFC forum or something on this site? Why is this thread on the Raptors forum?

Not trying to be dick-ish, but this board gets too cluttered as it is...

Not to be dick-ish, but the thread is on the Soccer Forum.

I was simply promoting that Hamilton will likely have a team next season in NASL.
bigscrims
Junior
And1: 112

Post#51 » by bigscrims » Wed May 27, 2015 1:27 am

LittleOzzy wrote:
Not to be dick-ish, but the thread is on the Soccer Forum.

I was simply promoting that Hamilton will likely have a team next season in NASL.

I realize the thread is on the soccer forum, but my question referred to why it was also linked to the Raptors forum.

I was simply curious....not a big deal. Good for Hamilton.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:18 pm

Ottawa Fury FC sitting on top of the NASL standings, with Edmonton is 3rd.

Look out America because here comes Canada to win the Cup!
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:54 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/naslofficial/status/686728947569176581[/tweet]

Now just one team remains in Atlanta. Fans will have to wait for MLS soccer in 2017.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:35 pm

North American Soccer League Announces Cancellation Of 2018 Season

The NASL announced that it has canceled the 2018 Season after failing to receive a preliminary injunction preventing the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) from revoking the NASL’s Division II status.

On September 1, 2017, the USSF’s Board of Directors took a decision to revoke the NASL’s Division II status jeopardizing the future of the league and its member clubs. On September 19, NASL filed an antitrust suit in Federal Court in the Eastern District of New York seeking a preliminary injunction to preserve the NASL’s Division II status while the Court considers the underlying claims. On November 4, the District Court denied the NASL’s motion for a preliminary injunction and on February 23, 2018, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit affirmed the District Court’s decision.

NASL Interim Commissioner Rishi Sehgal issued the following statement: “The focus of the antitrust suit to date has been obtaining a preliminary injunction to save the 2018 Season. Unfortunately, with USSF’s decision and the loss of the preliminary injunction, playing the 2018 Season is no longer a possibility. The focus of the antitrust suit now shifts to securing the long-term advancement of soccer in this country, not only for the NASL, but for all soccer fans, clubs, and communities impacted by the USSF’s restrictions on competition. Also, the NASL is prosecuting a breach of fiduciary duty action against certain USSF Board members for conflicts of interest and derelictions of duty which have harmed the NASL and countless other constituents in U.S. Soccer. The NASL and its clubs will look at all avenues to return to the field for the 2019 Season.”

http://www.nasl.com/news/2018/02/27/north-american-soccer-league-announces-cancellation-of-2018-season

Sad, I don't see the league recovering from this.

RIP NASL

Return to Major League Soccer