Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread 

Post#1921 » by BUCKnation » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:33 pm

few players came out snoozing, glad we picked it up. danny rose is immense.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1922 » by and1GS » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Suck it Burnley SPURS ALL DAY!

If we can beat the bottom of the table, we can beat anyone baby!!! Separately, where the **** has Lamela been for the past 3 months?
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,612

Post#1923 » by Baphomet » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:19 pm

Hard to believe we're on pace for our best Premier League season, points wise. The quality of performances have been nowhere near as good as last season, yet we find ourselves in a decent position.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1924 » by Baphomet » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:32 pm

Lloris signs until 2022.

:rockon:
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1925 » by and1GS » Tue Jan 3, 2017 6:10 pm

Baphomet wrote:Hard to believe we're on pace for our best Premier League season, points wise. The quality of performances have been nowhere near as good as last season, yet we find ourselves in a decent position.

Ya overall we've looked ****. Going bargain bin shopping for wingers and backup strikers is really catching up to us. I like Nkoudou's direct style, but we can't rely on Son's form all season and Lamela's success is so tied to his confidence that it's risky to bet on him for anything. It's tough to figure out formation out here in the U.S. (ESPN literally just tells me the players that are on the field...and my recordings start after the formation is shown), but have we recently just said **** it and gone full AVB with 5 CMs out there?

I actually do feel good about our younger guys and have come to be a huge fan of Onomah's (if he just calms the **** down), but with Winks I'm just not seeing it. He's the newer Tommy Carroll that you guys rave about until we sell him to Tottenham B Team to play with Huddlestone, Mason and Livermore.

All's I'm saying is we've cemented a back 4 with really high caliber backups at each spot. Time to figure out what kind of goalscoring winger and backups striker fit our high pressure style. Sissoko has been much better IMO, and is a helpful player, but he need consistent goals.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1926 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jan 4, 2017 1:21 am

Idk how you see it with Onomah and not with Winks. Winksy has been fantastic, way better than anything Carroll produced at that age/level of experience.

Also, we've been running a 4-2-3-1 for the most part, (other than that 3 atb game) just switching the other winger around with Son/Sissoko when Eriksen/Alli gets rest.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1927 » by Baphomet » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:41 pm

We've actually played pretty well the last few matches. We always seem to kick up a gear when Christmas rolls around. Yeah, Winks has looked very sturdy in his time this season, and actually able to contribute defensively unlike Carroll. Onomah is okay, but doesn't seem to do anything well, a bit like Mason.

Hopefully we can end Chelsea's winning streak tonight. It's going to be very difficult against such a hot team.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1928 » by and1GS » Wed Jan 4, 2017 9:48 pm

Onomah I see in more of the Dele role. Basically the same height, both have some trickery in their locker and both offer enough pace to get in behind a defensive line. I don't see any of that with Winks and he reminds me much more of Ryan Mason than Onomah does. Neither is really shifty and they're both lauded for their motors and not freaking out. I think Onomah has just been nervous and is trying to mentally figure out if he's a winger or CAM. He is 19 afterall - a year younger than 'Arry W.

Winks provides good cover as a 6, sure, but I don't see a whole lot there in the way of potential to be a consistent starter. Not a huge deal and I'm glad we keep producing strong youth players, but we're at a point where we should be aiming high.

and1GS
RealGM

Post#1929 » by and1GS » Wed Jan 4, 2017 10:03 pm

How the **** is Dele still 20 haha. What a monster.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1930 » by Baphomet » Wed Jan 4, 2017 10:04 pm

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of Winks. I envisage him long-term as cover for the CM/DM spot, assuming he doesn't break out like Dier did last season (unlikely). I'm hoping they can both come good, but right now I think Winks projects to be the better player imo. Hopefully both Onomah and Winks will get a good run out at the weekend against Villa in the cup.
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1931 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jan 4, 2017 10:21 pm

The biggest positive with Winks is his quick feet/decisiveness. He came into the game today like an experienced vet providing calmness and quick/safe passing.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1932 » by and1GS » Wed Jan 4, 2017 11:02 pm

Yup, he's very safe and he's not going to do anything monumentally stupid, Onomah probably would. As a young backup you'll take ineffectiveness at times, but you can't live with colossal mistakes unless you're a lower mid table team.

Vesper
Junior
And1: 66

Post#1933 » by Vesper » Thu Jan 5, 2017 4:24 pm

SOme guys peak early.

Especially, when their primary strengths are physical.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1934 » by Baphomet » Thu Jan 5, 2017 5:50 pm

Alli's development will be interesting, I think statistically he's on a similar trajectory to the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes, and has the potential to be a talismanic midfielder who contributes with plentiful assists and goals like them. However, I think the thing he needs to improve upon the most is his decision making. The most frustrating thing about watching Alli is how he tries to flick the ball past his defender and beat them that way. It almost always results in a loss of possession and he would be better off just passing it.

Technically he's way ahead of most 20 year olds, and his ability to know exactly where to be in the attacking phase is wonderful. It gives defenders fits and opens space up for Kane, Eriksen and the fullbacks.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1935 » by Baphomet » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:52 pm

AC Milan want Tottenham's Moussa Sissoko

AC Milan's excellent transfer acumen strikes again! Please take him.
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1936 » by BUCKnation » Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:02 am

Bapho, I see your boy Mick is coaching CCV up nicely. Ipswitch's potm for February.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1937 » by Baphomet » Mon Mar 5, 2018 2:49 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Bapho, I see your boy Mick is coaching CCV up nicely. Ipswitch's potm for February.

Yup, it's nice to see some of our loanees doing quite well. Josh Onomah was playing really well at Villa too, though his form seems to have dropped off a bit of late.

I like CCV's potential but I don't know if he'll ever see it come to fruition at Spurs, given how strong we are at CB. But since Toby and Jan often pick up injuries, he could see some time on the pitch. I'd rather see that than rotate Dier in there.
tjumper78
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#1938 » by tjumper78 » Mon Mar 5, 2018 3:28 pm

sonny's on fire!
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1939 » by Baphomet » Mon Mar 5, 2018 4:14 pm

tjumper78 wrote:sonny's on fire!

He's rapidly become one of my favourite Spurs players

Such a dynamic attacking player
tjumper78
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#1940 » by tjumper78 » Mon Mar 5, 2018 4:44 pm

Baphomet wrote:
tjumper78 wrote:sonny's on fire!

He's rapidly become one of my favourite Spurs players

Such a dynamic attacking player

a lot of people including myself will be very upset if poch starts lamela over sonny again. sonny getting subbed at 70' was a good sign tho.

Return to The General Soccer Board