Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread 

Post#1601 » by and1GS » Tue Mar 3, 2015 8:55 pm

Nah, Lloris oddly has shown he really wants to stay. Also from what I've seen it's a bit harder for teams to pry away GKs than field players. As Seth Rollins would say, it's what's best for business. However, I think Vertonghen may be gone then random insignificant players like Paulinho/Adebayor will be sold if possible.

TBH I'm not sure if I even want us making Europa next campaign. We clearly can't win it without more depth, and we probably won't get that this summer. Good thing we're not a sure thing for the competition?
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#1602 » by Ted Lasso » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:22 am

Where would he go anyway? No team capable of prying him away actually needs a goalkeeper. Real Madrid could be considered an exception, but my guess is if they decide they want a new keeper, they'd aim higher than Lloris and focus on Cech or De Gea.

I definitely want us to make the Europa League every season from here on out and i would take the competition very seriously. It may be our best shot at a CL place in the next few seasons. In fact, i think one could reasonably make the argument that we should have reversed our Fiorentina & Chelsea squad rotation.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,592

Post#1603 » by Baphomet » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:32 am

That might have worked out.

In the Chelsea game I felt like we had a little more bite when Lamela and Soldado came on anyway. Of course, that's partly down to Chelsea reverting to a more defensive mode with a 2 goal advantage, but the less direct approach from Lamela and Soldado helped us create some slightly better chances at the end of the game.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1604 » by Baphomet » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:31 pm

Not liking the Dier/Vertonghen CB pairing at all. At this point I would not be too disappointed to see Vertonghen sold while he still has some value.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#1605 » by Ted Lasso » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:04 pm

Baphomet wrote:Not liking the Dier/Vertonghen CB pairing at all. At this point I would not be too disappointed to see Vertonghen sold while he still has some value.

There is no satisfactory pairing at the moment. Kaboul is finished. Dier is young and developing. Vertonghen is unfocused. Fazio hasn't settled. Chiriches is inadequate. We have had a committee approach to centre-backs since Redknapp and failed to establish a permanent partnership.

It may be best to see out the season with the current duo in order to continue to develop Dier and preserve Vertonghen's value, and then re-evaluate the position in the summer. Perhaps Fazio will come good next year. If not, i might pair Dier with a reliable veteran - someone like Jose Fonte. Wimmer is apparently left-footed, so his arrival may signal Vertonghen's departure.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1606 » by Baphomet » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Oh, by all means, I agree completely. Our defence is a shambles right now, whatever combination of defenders we put out there seems to be a bad one. I'm fine with Dier playing and learning through his mistakes, it's not like we have anything to play for right now anyway with top 4 essentially out of reach. We might require more wholesale changes in general, we can't expect to qualify for anything when we leak as many goals as we do. God knows where we'd be without Lloris.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#1607 » by Ted Lasso » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Rumours of Lloris leaving. They're saying PSG or Man Utd if de Gea goes to Madrid.

I understand that PSG may want the captain of France on the team, but Sirigu is better than Lloris.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1608 » by Baphomet » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:20 pm

I guess it's not too surprising. Just the other day I was thinking that Man United probably makes sense as a destination for him if de Gea leaves. Not sure if Levy would sell to them, though? I know he sold Carrick and Berbatov there, but I have a hard time seeing him sell Lloris to another PL team.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,200

Post#1609 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:36 pm

Talk about Jackson Martinez again. You guys think he'd be a good fit?
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,893

Post#1610 » by BUCKnation » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:27 am

J-Mezzy wrote:Talk about Jackson Martinez again. You guys think he'd be a good fit?

Hard to say since we have Kane. We'd have to spend a lot to get him, so you'd want him to start, which would mean Poch would have to change his main formation (4231) likely.

Ted Lasso wrote:Rumours of Lloris leaving. They're saying PSG or Man Utd if de Gea goes to Madrid.

I understand that PSG may want the captain of France on the team, but Sirigu is better than Lloris.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave, but I don't see the PSG interest coming off as legit and I highly doubt Levy will sell to Utd.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#1611 » by Elden Payton » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:38 am

OUT
------

Adebayor
Lloris
Vertonghen
Paulinho
Soldado
Kaboul
Chiriches

IN
-----

Danny Ings
Will Hughes
Andrew Robertson
Virgil Van Dijk
Jordan Rhodes/Rudy Gestede
John Stones
Jack Grealish

I'd like us to also make a cheeky bid for Raheem Sterling or Ross Barkley.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1612 » by Baphomet » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:28 am

Would be delighted with Ings as a second striker. John Stones, along with Wimmer, would also be a nice trade off for potentially losing Kaboul and Vertonghen. Stones has a lot of promise and has that important Premier League experience, I rate him quite a bit.

I know Will Hughes has performed well for Derby, but honestly, I prefer our very own Alex Pritchard who's coming back from Brentford this summer. Somewhat different players, sure, but I think he can play a role with us. With Dele Alli also coming in the summer (thought I suspect he'll be subsequently loaned), and Tom Carroll returning, I'm happy with our current stock of young players. Is Grealish actually any good? I haven't really seen much of his game besides a couple of sub appearances for Villa. Flash hair, mind you.

Want no part of Sterling, not that we'd pay his wage demands anyway. Don't rate him, or his attitude. He's nowhere near good enough to hold a massive club like Liverpool for ransom like he's doing right now. Complete disrespect.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#1613 » by Ted Lasso » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:26 am

J-Mezzy wrote:Talk about Jackson Martinez again. You guys think he'd be a good fit?

For many years, he would have been just the thing. Now, with Kane, it's hard to see.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#1614 » by Ted Lasso » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:49 am

Sik Infant wrote:OUT
------

Adebayor - Adios!
Lloris - If he wants to
Vertonghen - Probably. His performance hasn't matched his reputation in some time.
Paulinho - Adios!
Soldado - Adios!
Kaboul - Adios! No, really, get out.
Chiriches - Adios!

IN
-----

Danny Ings - Don't see why not on a free.
Will Hughes - Seen little of him. Can't say i'm a huge fan so far.
Andrew Robertson - I want Willems if we sign another left-back.
Virgil Van Dijk - Seems unnecessary.
Jordan Rhodes/Rudy Gestede - Don't trust either. Would probably cost too much for third string anyway.
John Stones - I'd love it but i doubt Everton sell him.
Jack Grealish - Barely seen him.

I'd like us to also make a cheeky bid for Raheem Sterling or Ross Barkley.

I don't believe we'd have a chance with either but i'd take Sterling or Barkley in a heartbeat.

In response to Baphomet, i think it's too soon to say that Sterling is holding Liverpool for ransom. Maybe he's not signing a new deal because he simply doesn't wish to be there.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#1615 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:57 am

Ted Lasso wrote:

For many years, he would have been just the thing. Now, with Kane, it's hard to see.

Yeah I forgot about Kane, that's the one position you guys are set at. Me thinks he'll end up in Liverpool
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#1616 » by DD12 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:09 pm

Paulinho is a great example why you don't pay **** loads of money after one tournament. Just like James Rodriguez at RM.

Soldado-Chiriches and Paulinho. Spurs wasted 60 million euro on these players.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#1617 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:26 pm

DD12 wrote:Paulinho is a great example why you don't pay **** loads of money after one tournament. Just like James Rodriguez at RM.

Soldado-Chiriches and Paulinho. Spurs wasted 60 million euro on these players.

James has been one of the top players for Madrid this season. Sure they paid a lot, but Florentino always does. His performance on the field has been legit though. Don't get the Paulinho or Soldado reference
DD12
Assistant Coach

Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread 

Post#1618 » by DD12 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:38 pm

He was injured for 2 months. He sucked first 2 months. How come he is the top player this season?

He is ok but not worth 90 mil € price tag. Max at 40
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#1619 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:20 pm

DD12 wrote:He was injured for 2 months. He sucked first 2 months. How come he is the top player this season?

He is ok but not worth 90 mil € price tag. Max at 40

Did he really suck the first 2 months though? It was more like 3 weeks which is understandable since he was new to the league and leaning a new position. I didn't say he was the top player for Madrid, but easily one of the most influential during the season. By the way, those 2 months he missed were the worst of the season for Madrid.
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#1620 » by DD12 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:58 am

oh please. they were losing not because they were missing James. They were losing because they didn't have Modric who is very crucial for this team.

Return to The General Soccer Board