Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread 

Post#1581 » by Baphomet » Tue Feb 3, 2015 9:59 am

Ted Lasso wrote:Back to MK Dons on loan for the rest of the season.

He seems pretty highly rated. Haven't seen much of him, mind you.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfUvqb_EOmA[/youtube]

That pass at :39, good grief.
mjba
Analyst
And1: 121

Post#1582 » by mjba » Tue Feb 3, 2015 12:27 pm

glad to see Kane signed a new deal. kudos
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1583 » by Baphomet » Tue Feb 3, 2015 2:30 pm

mjba wrote:glad to see Kane signed a new deal. kudos

Doesn't mean a whole lot in football, sadly. Sure, it means his transfer value will be prohibitively high to most clubs, but top clubs that really want the player in question will offer extortionate amounts regardless of contract status. Bale for example signed a new four year deal 13 months before he was sold to Madrid.

By all means though, I think Kane is the loyal sort, speaking long term. Local lad and all that.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1584 » by and1GS » Tue Feb 3, 2015 11:55 pm

Yup, prior to his run of ape **** play I thought we might let him go in the coming seasons, but hated the sound of that since he's such a loyal Spur. After Livermore's departure it's nice to have a true Spur on the team who can actually play a bit.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
mjba
Analyst
And1: 121

Post#1585 » by mjba » Wed Feb 4, 2015 10:02 am

Baphomet wrote:
mjba wrote:glad to see Kane signed a new deal. kudos

Doesn't mean a whole lot in football, sadly. Sure, it means his transfer value will be prohibitively high to most clubs, but top clubs that really want the player in question will offer extortionate amounts regardless of contract status. Bale for example signed a new four year deal 13 months before he was sold to Madrid.

By all means though, I think Kane is the loyal sort, speaking long term. Local lad and all that.

Yeah, I was only referring to bold, which is better than nothing.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#1586 » by Elden Payton » Wed Feb 4, 2015 10:56 am

Kane reminds me of Shearer to be honest.

A mixture of both the hold up play and finishing ability is rare in modern day forwards.

He might never be a world class player but I'd say he's the best chance we have outside of Lamela becoming one imo.

Eriksen is probably our best player but he's near as good as he'll be imo.

Alli is a great buy imo and would have went for much more in the summer imo, he's a physical player who has silk and class in spades, which is also a rare combination.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#1587 » by Ted Lasso » Wed Feb 4, 2015 11:49 am

Sik Infant wrote:Eriksen is probably our best player but he's near as good as he'll be imo.

I agree with this statement entirely. It's probably a good thing too, because as useful as he is for us, it is unlikely that bigger clubs would chase after him. He is sorta the new van der Vaart.

I think chances of Lamela turning out to be special are pretty low at this point though.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1588 » by Baphomet » Wed Feb 4, 2015 12:20 pm

I think what impresses me most about Eriksen this season is his fitness level. Not only does he cover the most ground out of all of our players (and most of the Premier League), but he seems to have the most energy at the end of games, pulling out heroics and hustling hard. This might be an odd thing to say, but he doesn't seem like the kind of player who would have such a crazy motor, it's almost deceptive, like he does it stealthily almost.

I like where Lamela is heading, honestly. I personally think he's improving a lot as a player, and his performances have improved, particularly his exceptional one against Burnley before he got injured. Less dwelling on the ball, quick passes, better movement off the ball, improving defensive support. However, he does need to cut out the mental lapses, but I'm hoping that will come with time. He may not be the superstar Bale replacement some were hoping for when we signed him, but I think he still has the potential to be a very good player. He's better than Townsend will ever be, imo.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread 

Post#1589 » by and1GS » Sat Feb 7, 2015 10:49 pm

I'm not sure what to think of Lamela anymore. Good, but not good enough and I've only seen minor improvements. Never expected him to score goals but he hasn't done all that much this year otherwise. We already have Soldado to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1590 » by Baphomet » Sun Feb 8, 2015 1:05 am

and1GS wrote:I'm not sure what to think of Lamela anymore. Good, but not good enough and I've only seen minor improvements. Never expected him to score goals but he hasn't done all that much this year otherwise. We already have Soldado to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app

He's a strange one. Defensively I feel like he's improved a lot, he's making important challenges and initiating counters, and it gives our midfield a lot more presence along with Mason and Bentaleb's workrate. He tries to be too clever with his passes, he often doesn't put enough on them or misdirects them. I feel like it's an over eagerness to prove himself.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#1591 » by BUCKnation » Sun Feb 8, 2015 1:43 am

His offense wasn't up to par, but I thought he did a great job with his work rate and defensively, this may have been his best game. Also, his corners, as proved with the goal, are way better than Eriksen's. Eriksen is just not very good at non-direct free kicks.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1592 » by and1GS » Sun Feb 8, 2015 4:51 am

Agree on corners, though his job is to skill his way down the sideline and whip it in. Hard to do that when he's playing center mid half the time - notice that after half he started playing wider and actually produced some good passages of play? We need him out wide and making things happen more often offensively.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant
And1: 548

Post#1593 » by Man of Steel » Sun Feb 8, 2015 5:22 am

congrats on the win today :D

#YerAWizard'Arry
HALA MADRID || GO LEAFS GO || LET'S GO RAPTORS
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1594 » by Baphomet » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:46 am

Lamela was good against Liverpool despite a few errors. He covered tons of ground and made a lot of challenges, now he just needs a string of good performances to keep the confidence high and those mental lapses down. I think he's beginning to fit in well with our current midfield setup.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#1595 » by BUCKnation » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:34 pm

His assist to Kane was beautiful.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#1596 » by Ted Lasso » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Whether he makes it as the high level offensive contributor he was supposed to be or not, i'm never going to mind a player who presses as well as Lamela. His recovery is unbelievable.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1597 » by Baphomet » Tue Mar 3, 2015 9:38 am

Out of the EL and lost in the league cup final. This season's pretty much lost as I see us as rank outsiders in making a top 4 finish, barring an extremely strong run, which still probably wouldn't be enough. All I can hope for is continued development from our homegrown young players, really proud of how Kane, Mason and Bentaleb have all come good this season.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#1598 » by Ted Lasso » Tue Mar 3, 2015 12:08 pm

Baphomet wrote:Out of the EL and lost in the league cup final. This season's pretty much lost as I see us as rank outsiders in making a top 4 finish, barring an extremely strong run, which still probably wouldn't be enough. All I can hope for is continued development from our homegrown young players, really proud of how Kane, Mason and Bentaleb have all come good this season.

Our situation in the league was to be expected. We simply do not have the horses.

In terms of the young players, while Bentaleb has some promise, Dier looks a sure thing, and Kane has wildly exceeded anyone's expectations, Mason remains a thoroughly average player in my opinion. He has indeed been a breath of fresh air because he has got a battling quality that the likes of Paulinho and Dembele sorely lack, but his final product is awful and he often makes poor decisions with the ball.

I look forward to a transfer campaign of Pochettino's making. We have given him little to work with in that regard. Some good investments for the future, but the man needs a starter or two.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#1599 » by Ted Lasso » Tue Mar 3, 2015 12:14 pm

I also wanna add a word on Chadli. He has looked better this season and been more productive because Pochettino has taken him off the ball and used him as a Schurrle sort. But he sure has gone back to his rage-inducing ways recently. When he attempts any sort of wing action with the ball, i feel like ripping my hair out.

He almost always plays alongside a playmaker (Eriksen) and ball-dominant winger (Lamela or Townsend). His entire existence ought to be about stretching the field, making up numbers in the box, and running into channels.
tbennett5438
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#1600 » by tbennett5438 » Tue Mar 3, 2015 7:07 pm

Do you guys think Lloris is gone after this year?
I like the Detroit Pistons

Return to The General Soccer Board