Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread 

Post#1541 » by Baphomet » Mon Dec 1, 2014 3:33 am

Great win against Everton. I feel like we played the opposite of how we usually play, in the sense that we had less possession but had more chances on goal. We also showed a lot of resiliency, which is rare for this team and I hope we can kick on from this and build some squad character. We're sitting at 7th but I think the league situation is improving, thanks to some of the wins we scraped together.

How will we shape up against Chelsea? I don't rate our chances of course, but the Everton win will at least give us some confidence. Chelsea also appear somewhat tired and are without Costa, so I suppose we have perhaps a small glimmer of hope.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1542 » by and1GS » Wed Dec 3, 2014 5:50 pm

Big reason we were more incisive with less possession is no Capoue. I like what he brings to the team, but he's a final piece in a squad that has a ton of attacking verve. Not a key cog in an average lineup.

We didn't play many of our usual starters against Everton, but I was impressed with our defensive display. Fazio/Vert fared much better in the center of the pitch than gaptooth ever did. I think we get clobbered today, but who knows.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#1543 » by No_20 » Wed Dec 3, 2014 6:14 pm

I remember Fabregas being a Spurs-killer when he was at Arsenal.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1544 » by Baphomet » Thu Dec 4, 2014 3:09 am

and1GS wrote:Big reason we were more incisive with less possession is no Capoue. I like what he brings to the team, but he's a final piece in a squad that has a ton of attacking verve. Not a key cog in an average lineup.

We didn't play many of our usual starters against Everton, but I was impressed with our defensive display. Fazio/Vert fared much better in the center of the pitch than gaptooth ever did. I think we get clobbered today, but who knows.

It was interesting to see that our team covered the most ground out of any PL team in that Everton gameweek, too. I don't think I've seen a Spurs team do that in years. Now that Chelsea's out of the way, hopefully we can pick up more points in the coming weeks.

Palace (H), Swansea (A), Burnley (H), Leicester (A) are our next 4 games. I think 8-10 points is a reasonable expectation from those matches.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#1545 » by Ted Lasso » Thu Dec 4, 2014 11:54 am

8-10 points? Reasonable??

God damn it, man, where is the faith in your team? Where are the bold claims!? If we win out and collect 12, you've forfeited the right to enjoy it. :D
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1546 » by and1GS » Thu Dec 4, 2014 6:11 pm

If we drop three points in any of those matches, I'm burning down Levy's home. Swansea could be tough, but other than that we're just playing the relegation zone!

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#1547 » by No_20 » Thu Dec 4, 2014 11:36 pm

Spurs wont get Top 4, their biggest chance for CL is the EL, but they always get crushed in the Knock out stage once they meet a quality team.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#1548 » by Boognish » Thu Dec 4, 2014 11:42 pm

and1GS wrote:If we drop three points in any of those matches, I'm burning down Levy's home. Swansea could be tough, but other than that we're just playing the relegation zone!

typical spud, always with the arson smh
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,326

Post#1549 » by MaliBrah » Fri Dec 5, 2014 12:42 am

Boognish wrote:
and1GS wrote:If we drop three points in any of those matches, I'm burning down Levy's home. Swansea could be tough, but other than that we're just playing the relegation zone!

aha! so it was and1gs that burned down the steel company :lol: :lol:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1550 » by Baphomet » Fri Dec 5, 2014 1:54 am

No_20 wrote:Spurs wont get Top 4, their biggest chance for CL is the EL, but they always get crushed in the Knock out stage once they meet a quality team.

Pretty sure nobody here said we'd make top 4 this season. Appreciate the vote of confidence, though.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1551 » by and1GS » Fri Dec 5, 2014 3:45 pm

MaliBrah wrote:
Boognish wrote:

aha! so it was and1gs that burned down the steel company :lol: :lol:

You'll never take me alive copper!

J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#1552 » by J-Mezzy » Sat Dec 6, 2014 1:14 am

I hear you guys are getting Jackson. He'll be productive, just don't expect him to step up on the big games lol.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1553 » by Baphomet » Sat Dec 6, 2014 2:49 am

J-Mezzy wrote:I hear you guys are getting Jackson. He'll be productive, just don't expect him to step up on the big games lol.

Seems like there's a lot of English interest in him, not just from us. What we need is someone who WILL step up in the big games, though. A Bale, a Van der Vaart, a Berbatov, those guys often willed us to victory against better teams on paper. I like JM and he has a great goalscoring record, though.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#1554 » by BUCKnation » Sat Dec 6, 2014 6:44 am

Obviously we have heard stuff before, but I really think this January will be an interesting transfer window for us. It certainly seems like Poch has his guys and I think we will see a lot of "dead weight" dropped. I could see Townsend, Dembele, Paulinho, Ade :pray:, and some others all going.

It will be interesting to see who comes in as well. A lot of paper talk has been going on and December just started.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#1555 » by J-Mezzy » Sat Dec 6, 2014 12:33 pm

Jackson is a hard worker, he has the physical traits of an EPL striker. He's a pure #9 and should be successful. He just has those moments where he hesitates and doubts himself. He would still be an upgrade over anyone you guys have right now.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1556 » by and1GS » Mon Dec 8, 2014 9:54 pm

Crystal Palace, LOL. We suck.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1557 » by Baphomet » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:12 am

Chadli mugging off Arsenal and Wilshere on twitter has immediately raised his status in my book, besides his vastly improved play this season.

Thoughts on reaching the Capital One cup semis and having a pretty good draw in Sheffield United? Do we have a chance? In a one off cup final I feel like we'd raise our game against Chelsea or Liverpool. We've been quite poor against these two lately, but our somewhat improved play of late has me feeling a little hopeful. It would just be nice to make another cup final again, it's been too long.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#1558 » by BUCKnation » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:49 am

It feels like Poch has finally figured out the team and things within the team are starting to click. Having Walker back will only help this and his overlapping runs with Lamela cutting in, which makes for a dynamic right side.

Chadli can be utilized multiple ways and he seems to be fine in any role he is in.

This January should be interested. So many rumors flying around, I'd love to grab a striker as a consistent supplement to Kane who seems to be wearing down a bit with all of his play. Schneiderlin would be a dream, but we may have to wait until the summer to grab him. Yedlin is already confirmed and I am excited to see him play and develop under Poch.

Right now, things are looking nice. This weekend should be interesting with a "easy" game Boxing Day and then the quick turnaround on Sunday with Man U.

As far as the cup goes, I am glad we got a great draw. I don't really care about the C1C, but it is a trophy and would be fun to win.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1559 » by Baphomet » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:03 pm

C1C is a more entertaining competition than the FA Cup these days. It's also the last trophy we won back in '08. I would be delighted to win it again, that's for sure. Don't count on January being too active, I remember when we were in 3rd place in 2012 and we brought in Saha and Ryan **** Nelsen in January instead of getting proper reinforcements, which condemned us to finishing 4th, which allowed Chelsea's CL win to push us out of the competition. With some good signings we might have even challenged for the league.

Here's hoping we actually do something this time.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1560 » by and1GS » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:17 am

I expect far more outgoings than incomings in January, which is fine since it will cut down the midfield mess AVB left behind. Moussa, Paulinho (I know, I was surprised he was still on the team too) and Ade could all be gone. Vlad could leave for better PT.

I don't expect a splashy signing, but someone like Jay Rodriguez (know he's injured, but a talent like that) to replace inconsistent Townsend on the wing would be good. Obviously a striker would be best, but last time I wished for that we got a bag of rotten Paella.

Realistically, to make a jump back into the top 5 we need another Eriksen caliber guy and a shored up defense. That's not terribly difficult to accomplish TBH. Let's just not fire Poch before the year is up. I'd be fine sticking with him long term (which is 3-4 years now in football) because while he isn't a world beater, he learns from his mistakes and isn't handicapping the team with tactics.

Return to The General Soccer Board