Official Chelsea FC Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Re: Official Chelsea FC Thread 

Post#1001 » by J-Mezzy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Isn't the game Saturday? That's a full 3 days rest. No excuses from the guys please, this is the biggest game of the season. 3 days should be enough, even after that marathon yesterday
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#1002 » by lukekarts » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:20 pm

Is there any way of tracking how good we are defensively with Terry versus how we are without him?

Cahill especially looks rubbish every time he's not playing alongside JT. I don't get it.
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#1003 » by fatlever » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 pm

Terry definitely keeps Cahill and Zouma organized when they play with him. Ivanovic, has in the past, been pretty good at organizing the back line. there was a stretch a few years ago when Ivan and Cahill had a great partnership. When Terry is out, I'd rather see either Cahill or Zouma partnered with Ivan than with each other. That being said, its been a while since we've seen Ivan get a run of games at centerback, so who knows how he'd fare now.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1004 » by fatlever » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Core guys play 120 minutes in a very intense game. Costa probably suspended. Cesc with hamstring injury, Luis with a calf injury, Ivan with a foot injury.

check out Ivan's bloody foot.

treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#1005 » by treiz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:40 pm

lukekarts wrote:Is there any way of tracking how good we are defensively with Terry versus how we are without him?

Cahill especially looks rubbish every time he's not playing alongside JT. I don't get it.

All you have to do was watch yesterday's game, it was incredible from Terry. Zouma looked a bit shaky early on (he did settle down and had a good game in the end) and Terry always covered him, a fine example was early on when Zouma mistimed a header and let Sterling through. JT covered him perfectly which allowed Sterling to run into Zouma for the recovery. There was also a few instances when Liverpool's front was causing our midfield a lot of pressure and JT just passes it towards the wings like it was nothing.

Not really sure what the problem with Cahill right now is, he's usually a good covering defender and last season he thrived as the initiator and let JT cover. Think it might just be the fatigue of last season, the WC and this season setting in since he's also played most of the cup games too whereas JT tends to get rested for those. Surprised Jose hasn't used Iva more as a CB.

In regards to the game against City, fatigue shouldn't be that much of an issue considering the rest period from now until late Saturday afternoon. The issue are the players missing through suspension or injury, I can see Jose going for Drogba upfront when Remy could be the better choice with his pace. Hope one of Luis or Iva will be alright and especially Cesc.
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#1006 » by lukekarts » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:14 am

treiz wrote:
lukekarts wrote:Is there any way of tracking how good we are defensively with Terry versus how we are without him?

All you have to do was watch yesterday's game, it was incredible from Terry. Zouma looked a bit shaky early on (he did settle down and had a good game in the end) and Terry always covered him, a fine example was early on when Zouma mistimed a header and let Sterling through. JT covered him perfectly which allowed Sterling to run into Zouma for the recovery. There was also a few instances when Liverpool's front was causing our midfield a lot of pressure and JT just passes it towards the wings like it was nothing.

Not really sure what the problem with Cahill right now is, he's usually a good covering defender and last season he thrived as the initiator and let JT cover. Think it might just be the fatigue of last season, the WC and this season setting in since he's also played most of the cup games too whereas JT tends to get rested for those. Surprised Jose hasn't used Iva more as a CB.

In regards to the game against City, fatigue shouldn't be that much of an issue considering the rest period from now until late Saturday afternoon. The issue are the players missing through suspension or injury, I can see Jose going for Drogba upfront when Remy could be the better choice with his pace. Hope one of Luis or Iva will be alright and especially Cesc.

I was more thinking in the lines of statistics as I agree - it's so ridiculous how much better defensively we appear to be when Terry plays.

I'm really not a fan of Cahill, though - especially without JT. I don't feel he's good enough but then there's a real lack of top quality CB's across the world right now. I miss the days when we could only play two of JT/Gallas/Riccy.
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1007 » by fatlever » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Cesc and Luis doubtful for Saturday per the Internets. Lets hope Ivan is good to go.

In other news... Thoughts on Salah going on loan in the deal for Cuadrado? Does this have any impact on Schurrle leaving?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1008 » by fatlever » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Cuadrado deal agreed - contracts and medical to follow.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#1009 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Great news. He won't disappoint
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#1010 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Can't wait to buy the jersey lol
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Official Chelsea FC Thread 

Post#1011 » by DD12 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:36 pm

I think he'll fail. He is not mou's player at all
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1012 » by fatlever » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:07 pm

DD12 wrote:I think he'll fail. He is not mou's player at all

care to elaborate?
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#1013 » by Captain_Obvious » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Confirmed: Chelsea is Wolfsburg's farm team
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#1014 » by 5DOM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Not sure that he's better than Willian, but should be a decent backup at the very least.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#1015 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:31 pm

Pretty hefty price for a back up. He was bought to start IMO, at least until he screws up and i think he's better than Willian. The guy plays defense, has a great work rate, is fast, 5 star dribbler, unselfish and good scoring instincs.

He's one of the top rated players in Serie A as per whoscored.com.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#1016 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:36 pm

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#1017 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:55 pm

Cuadrado in Chelsea is a great fit, provaly the missing piece for that starting 11.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#1018 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:38 am

I thought there'd be more excitement about the Cuadrado signing. The guy is not just a world cup wonder, he's been beating for Colombia and in Serie A for years now and the EPL is the one league that fits pacy and dribblers best.

A lot of people say he's not an upgrade over Schurrle, actually he is like him with better defensive work rate. Willian? He's like him but with better offensive skills. He's pretty much a combination of the 2 and I believe that this is why Jose got him.

I know that I seem like the Colombian Massimo (I wish I was that cool) , but I haven't been wrong about our players in Europe. Told you guys Falcao was worth the 40 million when Atletico signed him, told you guys James was special since he was at Porto, started hyping Cuadrado since his time at Lecce, told you guys Bacca and Jackson would be good strikers in Europe, etc. Cuadrado will succeed in Chelsea. I have no doubt about it.

My only fails would be Muriel and maybe Quintero, but those guys were so young and they both showed a lot of promise.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#1019 » by J-Mezzy » Sun Feb 1, 2015 2:39 am

Ready for some of this during our games.

5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#1020 » by 5DOM » Sun Feb 1, 2015 2:45 am

Hopefully more often than not. We are really lacking goals from the RW position. I hope we can rest Hazard/Willian a bit too

Return to The General Soccer Board