Official Team Canada Soccer Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Re: Official Team Canada Thread 

Post#21 » by MitchellUK » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:02 am

GREY 1769 wrote:I'm confused. I thought the last game got us a spot in the WC, but it just keeps our hopes alive, then?

North American qualifying has four (potentially five) stages. The nations are all seeded, and the bottom 10 compete in the initial two-leg knockout phase, with 5 of them getting through. The second phase features those five teams plus the next 19 seeds, competing in 6 groups of 4 teams, each playing the other teams in their group twice, with the group winners going through to phase three.

Phase three features the 6 group winners and 6 final (top) seeds who receive a bye to the final round. Three groups of four teams, each team playing the others in their group twice, with the group winners and runners up going through to phase four.

Phase four features those final six teams in a single group, each team playing the others twice, with the top three guaranteed a place at the World Cup. The bottom two teams in that final group are eliminated completely, whilst the fourth place team goes to a fifth round, where they play a two game playoff against the team that won the Oceania qualifying phase. The team that wins that playoff goes to the World Cup.

It's pretty long winded, tbh. If Canada were to win through to the finals they will have played 22 games (24 if they went via the final playoff) to get there. Currently it's in the third stage, and Canada sit second in their group after two of their six games. They got a tough group, as well. They're in a strong position to get into the fourth round, and in that stage they will be in a group with (if the standings remains as they are now) the U.S, Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica and Panama, needing to finish in the top three to gain a place or fourth to have a shot via the final playoff with the Oceania winners.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#22 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:39 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:I'm confused. I thought the last game got us a spot in the WC, but it just keeps our hopes alive, then?

I wish it was that simple. We play more games starting in September.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,432

Post#23 » by G R E Y » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:15 am

LittleOzzy wrote:I wish it was that simple. We play more games starting in September.

Thanks, Ozzy. Clearly I'm bereft of knowledge on the topic. It was wishful thinking after all. Still, good to know we're in the fight...

MitchellUK wrote:

North American qualifying has four (potentially five) stages. The nations are all seeded, and the bottom 10 compete in the initial two-leg knockout phase, with 5 of them getting through. The second phase features those five teams plus the next 19 seeds, competing in 6 groups of 4 teams, each playing the other teams in their group twice, with the group winners going through to phase three.

Phase three features the 6 group winners and 6 final (top) seeds who receive a bye to the final round. Three groups of four teams, each team playing the others in their group twice, with the group winners and runners up going through to phase four.

Phase four features those final six teams in a single group, each team playing the others twice, with the top three guaranteed a place at the World Cup. The bottom two teams in that final group are eliminated completely, whilst the fourth place team goes to a fifth round, where they play a two game playoff against the team that won the Oceania qualifying phase. The team that wins that playoff goes to the World Cup.

It's pretty long winded, tbh. If Canada were to win through to the finals they will have played 22 games (24 if they went via the final playoff) to get there. Currently it's in the third stage, and Canada sit second in their group after two of their six games. They got a tough group, as well. They're in a strong position to get into the fourth round, and in that stage they will be in a group with (if the standings remains as they are now) the U.S, Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica and Panama, needing to finish in the top three to gain a place or fourth to have a shot via the final playoff with the Oceania winners.

WOW, Mitchell, this is a really clear,great explanation. Much obliged for taking the time. It's a much tougher grind than I thought. It does surprise me, though, that given how many of Canada's cultures love football that it hasn't had better support or results. Everyone loves an underdog, and with MLS burgeoning, a surging Canadian team can make some noise and bring more attention to the sport. When played well, it's beautiful to watch.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Kaizen
Starter
And1: 22

Post#24 » by Kaizen » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:20 am

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/201 ... ed-results

Looks like our best prospect, Keven Aleman, is sticking with us for now. Great news. Tied Mexico and lost to them 3-0 in two exhibition games. Hopefully they were using their best under 20 players.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Anyone know if Canada's friendly against Trinidad and Tobago is on TV this week?
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#26 » by Double Helix » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Is there anything anyone can do to put a little additional pressure on Junior Hoilett to commit? Anybody interested in making a website or some kind? He has his contract. It's a 4 year-deal, so it's secure.

He's been away for so long maybe he just feels like Canadian fans don't particularly want him, or won't support the team.

There's not much reason for him to choose Jamaica over us and England does seem unlikely given the hurdles he'd have to jump. Riding the wave of positivity from the women's team winning bronze, it would be great if there was a grassroots campaign of some kind to get him on board. You could even talk about how the Canadian women's team made history. Now it's time for the men to come back and represent their country just as all the other players around the world do.

I'm not a web designer but I honestly think that stuff like this can help a little. The timing couldn't be better. Anybody up for this? Probably wouldn't need a ton of web work. Even a single web page with some solid photoshop work and a simple website address would be solid enough to tweet around. Alternatively... maybe a simple Facebook page would do the trick? You could tweet or share the page to journalists and other Canadian soccer fans and ask them to "like" it. I don't know what the best course would be but I hate leaving it to the media to ask questions. They're not aggressive enough and there aren't enough dedicated Canadian soccer journalists working.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Sep 8, 2012 2:02 am

Canada really needs to do something about their lack of scoring recently.

We had 18 goals to 1 against in the last round but in this group we seem to have a real issue with creating chances.
Kaizen
Starter

Post#28 » by Kaizen » Sat Sep 8, 2012 2:05 am

I will repeat that it is not just a problem in this round. It does not matter how many goals you score against poor teams. It is what you do against the teams around your level and we did not score against twice against weaker teams in the last round.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#29 » by Geddy » Sat Sep 8, 2012 4:27 am

Big win tonight and puts Canada in great position. One thing though - doesn't the ref usually give a signal before taking a free kick, especially when it's that close to the net? I didn't see the replay so I'm not sure how it went down.

Also, that bit with hiding the ball under the bench was a bit bush league and shouldn't have been done.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Sep 8, 2012 4:40 am

Geddy wrote:Big win tonight and puts Canada in great position. One thing though - doesn't the ref usually give a signal before taking a free kick, especially when it's that close to the net? I didn't see the replay so I'm not sure how it went down.

Also, that bit with hiding the ball under the bench was a bit bush league and shouldn't have been done.

A player has the choice to take the free kick quickly or he can ask the Ref to pace out the 10 yards and signal the start of play.

We chose to take it quickly.
Kaizen
Starter

Post#31 » by Kaizen » Sat Sep 8, 2012 11:46 am

Quick free-kick is why Canada lost to Sweden in the women's world cup in 2003. Happy to see it work to our advantage for once.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Sep 8, 2012 1:23 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb_je80gFlo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tpd5ctv-R0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwS6UDafVw0[/youtube]

Second video is a must watch.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Canadian soccer: There's reason to believe

It has been 26 years since the Canadian men’s one and only appearance in the World Cup final and most attempts since the 1986 have fallen miserably short. But the 17,586 fans at BMO Field on Friday night left the stadium with a sense that the drought may finally come to an end.

As it stands now, Canada has played three games in this third round of regional World Cup qualifying and have seven points — good enough for first place in the four-team division, a division that includes two higher ranked sides, Panama (50th in the world), and Honduras (72nd), as well as Cuba. Canada is ranked 73rd in the world and has been clearly the best team in the group so far, though it only has two goals in three games to show for its efforts. The top two teams in the division move on to next year’s final qualifying round.

Goal scoring continues to be Canada’s bugaboo and if it hopes for results in its next three games, it has to start finishing. Stephen Hart’s team has played some inspired football, but with two of the final three games on the road, starting with a rematch in Panama on Tuesday, it has to find a way to score consistently and not just rely on its stingy defence.

But if there’s any one player who can take the bull by the horns offensively and lead Canada to the promise land so to speak, it’s De Rosario. His goal, off a quick free kick by Atiba Hutchinson in front of the Panama goal, marked his 20th for Canada, passing former national team head coach and player Dale Mitchell, who was a member of the 1986 World Cup squad.

De Ro is one of the few truly gifted goal scorers on Canada, a team that plays with guts and determination, but with limited flair on offence. It’s like every time it gets a solid chance, somebody pours liquid nitrogen over the attacking player. But Canadian soccer fans aren’t worrying about that today. They can smell a spot in the World Cup, and that’s pretty special.

For many of us of a certain age, the Canadian men qualifying for one more World Cup has become a bucket list wish. And now, finally, there is some hope.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/08/ca ... to-believe

I'm not getting my hopes up too high just yet. I'm afraid the team is going to get too complacent in the next two games when really we need to keep pushing forward.

If we play anywhere close to like the last game I think we have a good chance at taking 3 points in Panama. Those 3 points plus a win against Cuba could be all we need to make it to the next round.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Well it's time to look over the rosters and hope for 2018...

http://www.torontofc.ca/academy

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/programs

http://academieimpactmontreal.com/en/academy/

I hope three MLS teams mean a brighter future for Canada Soccer.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by Geddy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:33 pm

The Canadian Soccer Association (or Canada Soccer) needs to be torn down and built with people that actually care about the sport, and further developing it in this country. There is talent in this country but for whatever reason it's not rising to the top. Also, for the national team there needs to be more training and international friendlies scheduled at proper times so that the team can become more cohesive.

I also believe there is something wrong with the team's mental preparation before games, especially those in Central America. It's as if whenever they travel down there, they have the mindset that they are going to return home with a loss. The atmosphere and everything else rattles them quite badly and it showed yesterday.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Stephen Hart pays the price for Canada's humiliating loss to Honduras

Canada's humiliating loss in Honduras has cost coach Stephen Hart his job.

Canadian Soccer Association president Victor Montagliani said Hart had resigned effective Thursday.

Canada needed just a tie or win in San Pedro Sula on Tuesday to advance to the final round of World Cup qualifying in the CONCACAF region, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Instead, Hart's team was drubbed 8-1 Tuesday in the worst defeat by a Canadian men's team since an 8-0 shellacking in Mexico in 1993.

Hart said after the game he thought he had done his best. But he understood that Canadian fans would not be able to forgive him.

Montagliani said Hart had served the CSA with class, calling him an "exemplary model for the game at both the national and international levels."

Hart, 52, worked his way through the CSA coaching ranks and had several stints as interim coach of the men's team before getting the job for good in December 2009.

Hart, then under-17 coach and assistant coach with the senior side, first took over as interim coach in July 2006 after Frank Yallop resigned to take over the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Hart, who has also served as the CSA's technical director, was named interim coach again in April 2009 after Dale Mitchell was fired following Canada's exit from World Cup qualifying with a dismal 0-4-2 record.

Hart had been a candidate for the job given to Mitchell.

Hart also served as interim coach at the 2007 Gold Cup when Mitchell was coaching the national under-20 team at the world championships.

Hart led Canada to the semifinals of the CONCACAF championship in 2007 and the quarter-finals in 2009. Canada failed to make it out of the group stage in 2011.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/stephen-ha ... -1.1001283
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:03 pm

US, Canada to square off in Jan. 29 friendly in Houston

The US and Canadian men's national teams will square off in a friendly on Jan. 29 at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, the federations of both countries announced on Monday.

The match marks the culmination of the US national team's annual January camp, as well as the winter camp of their Canadian counterparts. The Canucks will be facing Denmark in Tucson, Ariz., on Jan. 26.

Both teams are competing in next summer's Gold Cup — which may well see US head coach Jurgen Klinsmann field a "B" team similar to the one he will summon to January camp. The US are also participating in the final Hexagonal round of 2014 World Cup qualifying, which kicks off eight days after the Canada friendly at Honduras.

"The match against Canada will come at the end of an important training camp as we get players ready for the World Cup qualifier against Honduras, and also get a good look at some up-and-coming players in the national team pool," Klinsmann said in a statement.

Next month's match will mark the third time the North American rivals have squared off over the past three years. The US beat the Canadians 2-0 in their opening match of the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup in Detroit, and the teams played to a 0-0 draw this past June at Toronto's BMO Field in a match that was part of the Canadian Soccer Association's 100th anniversary.

US Soccer is celebrating its own centennial in 2013, and this Canada match will be its first event.

"Obviously we have a great history with Canada, and they were unlucky not to qualify for the final round [of World Cup qualifying]," Klinsmann continued. "The stadium in Houston is awesome and the fans have been incredibly supportive there, so for us it's a great way to start off the centennial year of US Soccer."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... ly-houston
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:40 pm

Canada tune up for US with friendly vs. Denmark

Canada is turning the page in 2013.

The national team squad that will be facing Denmark in Tucson, Ariz., on Saturday (LIVE STREAM on KICKTV in the USA and Sportsnet.ca in Canada) is a radically different Canadian side than the one that last played this past October in an 8-1 World Cup qualifying debacle. That closed the books on Canada’s hopes of qualifying for the 2014 World Cup, and quite possibly on an era of players who never really lived up to their potential.

A very young team has been training in Scottsdale, Ariz., seizing the opportunity to build for the future with many European-based senior players remaining with their clubs for the non-FIFA fixture date.

The average age of the squad is just younger than 25 years old, which makes it the youngest Canadian squad in seven years. A total of 10 members of the 22-man squad received their first national team call-up.

It’s a similar story for the Danes, as they’ve brought a squad made up entirely of players based in their home league as the Danish Superliga is still on winter hiatus.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/20 ... EN/preview

Should be a good game today I hope. Canada really needs to get their soccer program going in the right direction.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Geddy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:29 am

Jonathan de Guzman has been playing well for Swansea and got called up by the Dutch national team. Shame he never committed to Canada and went down the Hargraeves route. Oh well we don't need the likes of him or Hoilett.
Redeemer
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#40 » by Redeemer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 pm

if i'm hoilett and have a chance to represent england rather than canada, then i'd take that chance. same goes for de guzman. canada needs to expand its funding in soccer.

Return to The General Soccer Board