Top 10 players in the world

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,495

Re: Top 10 players in the world 

Post#21 » by cgf » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Eh, those results are kind of offset by his team winning their league every year of his career until last season. Sure the CL is important, but it isn't the only trophy that matters. If you're going to just judge him by his results they've been fantastic.

Pirlo to me is just a more influential player than Rooney right now, he lead Juve to a dominant Serie A win and followed it up with a great EC. You just don't see him not leave his mark on a game the way Rooney does when he gets sucked too deep.

Rooney was one of the players I was considering for the 10th spot before I decided to put a healthy Schweini on my list. But he just hasn't been that astounding over the past two years.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,200

Post#22 » by J-Mezzy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Zlatan has played in the best team every year, so how much weight can be placed into his winning the league every year?
I am not a big fan of Rooney, but Zlatan does have a reputation for disappearing in the big games. I will admit that I haven't witnessed this, but I am just stating what I hear from most soccer analysts
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#23 » by Slava » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Weren't 2 of those league titles with Juventus fixed as well?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Massimo
Banned User
And1: 68

Post#24 » by Massimo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:23 pm

In my opinion, Zlatan is the best striker in the world. I wouldn't even use his name in a sentence with Rooney. He is clearly in a better tier.
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#25 » by USA » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:56 pm

I am a Milan fan so I have seen a good bit of him the last few seasons and I also seen a bit of him when he was at Inter and Juve. I wouldn't say Zlatan necessarily 'disappears' in big games, he just doesn't raise his game. His game is walk around the pitch for a majority of the game until the ball is passed to him and he usually is within shooting distance when that happens. He has some amazing skills and with his black belt in karate, he can pick the ball out of the air at virtually any angle and get massive power behind it to score some amazing goals. His problem is that he can get away with walking around and waiting for the ball to be handed to him on a silver platter in Serie A and against weaker opponents but when you play against elite teams in the champions league, they mark you better and is game isn't as effective. Some may call that disappearing some may call it not raising your game but either way, he doesn't come through that often in big games.

A little irrelevant but the thing I hate about Zlatan is his arrogant attitude. He reminds me a lot of Kobe in that retrospect. He constantly yells at other players for screwing up but never places the blame on himself for messing up. There are countless stories throughout the years of what a cancer the guy was in different locker rooms.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#26 » by Foye » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:45 pm

As a team I would go with this:

Cech/Neuer
x - Thiago Silva - Pique - x
Iniesta - Xavi - Ribery
Messi - Ronaldo

I really struggle to name world class wing backs. There's a bunch of really good guys but nobody is really an obvious top choice. Overall - the talent level on this position is pretty bad, though.

Mesut Özil does not belong on this list at all.

Overall, I think Bayern Munich's players are really, really underrated around here.
I don't think there is a better left winger (other than Cristiano Ronaldo) in the world than Franck Ribery right now if he's healthy.
IronChef
Head Coach
And1: 432

Post#27 » by IronChef » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:58 pm

Rooney is right up there with the best strikers in the world, imo. Top 10 for sure.
Massimo wrote:Arsene wenger for the president.
IronChef
Head Coach
And1: 432

Post#28 » by IronChef » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:04 am

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:Messi
Ronaldo
Iniesta
Xavi
Rooney
Yaya Toure
Van Persie
Falcao
Ibrahimovic
Kompany

That's probably what I would go with too.
Massimo wrote:Arsene wenger for the president.
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#29 » by Point forward » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:08 am

Foye wrote:Overall, I think Bayern Munich's players are really, really underrated around here.
I don't think there is a better left winger (other than Cristiano Ronaldo) in the world than Franck Ribery right now if he's healthy.

Unfortunately, that is a large "IF". The biggest issue with many Bayern players is health, e.g. Schweini or Robben - which is bad luck is b/c they have a medical genius (Dr. Müller Wohlfahrt) as team doc. Similarly, Jerome Boateng could be one of the best defenders on this planet if he didn't commit 2 howlers per game.
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
Massimo
Banned User
And1: 68

Post#30 » by Massimo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:56 am

Foye wrote:As a team I would go with this:

Cech/Neuer
Iniesta - Xavi - Ribery
Messi - Ronaldo

So you are playing with 10 men against 11? :)
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#31 » by Foye » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Massimo wrote:
Foye wrote:As a team I would go with this:

Cech/Neuer
Iniesta - Xavi - Ribery
Messi - Ronaldo

So you are playing with 10 men against 11? :)

:lol:

If I can have both Cech and Neuer in the goal then hell yes. :lol:
crazybranman360
Starter
And1: 37

Post#32 » by crazybranman360 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:45 am

1. Messi
2. Christiano Ronaldo
3. Xavi
4. Andries Iniesta
5. Santiago Corzola
6. Yaya Toure
7. David Silva
8. Andrea Pirlo
9. Wayne Rooney
10. Robin Van Persie
Brt19
Bench Warmer
And1: 424

Post#33 » by Brt19 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:52 am

J-Mezzy wrote:Yes, this is difficult once you get past Ronaldo, Messi, Iniesta, and Xavi.

This. It is really close after 5 or 6. You can make arguments about players that didn't make the list but I'll try one. Here is my list:

Messi
Ronaldo
Iniesta
van Persie
Xavi
Yaya Toure
Falcao
Schweinsteiger
T. Silva
Casillas
BelgianMagic
Head Coach
And1: 130

Post#34 » by BelgianMagic » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:41 pm

My list:

Messi&Ronaldo (obvious)
Xavi&Iniesta (obvious)
Falcao
Rooney
Schweinsteiger (when 100% healthy)
Vincent Kompany
Yaya Touré
Neuer (slightly better than Casillas IMO)

after them, Ibra/Ozil/RVP/Silva/Aguero ..

And as a Belgian, I think Hazard and/or Fellaini can one day make these lists. They're both playing great at the moment, and Fellaini has been dominating games like I haven't seen in a long time
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant
And1: 548

Post#35 » by Man of Steel » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:25 pm

No particular order:

Ronaldo
Messi
Iniesta
Falcao
RVP
Ibrahimovic
Thiago Silva
Kompany
Pirlo
Casillas (If we're just talking field players then sub him for Hazard. I know he's young but he was the best in Ligue 1 two years running and has had a phenomenal start to his PL season this year).

Close runner ups that I kept off due to form/injury would be Ozil, David Villa, Cazorla, Neuer, Cech, Xabi Alonso (can't stress how important he is to the Madrid squad), Ramos, Pedro, Rooney, Aguero, Mata, Xavi, Fabregas, Kaka, and Modric.
HALA MADRID || GO LEAFS GO || LET'S GO RAPTORS
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#36 » by ATL Boy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:05 pm

1a. Messi
1b. Ronaldo
3. Iniesta
4. Xavi
5. Falcao
6. Iker
7. RVP
8. Ozil
9. Schweinsteiger
10. Ibrahimovic
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
SunKing
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,509

Post#37 » by SunKing » Tue Oct 2, 2012 9:08 am

Very hard... First of all you have to take in account all the global accomplishement on the last 3 season. You can't be "best player in the world" on one season without being flat out dominant or playing a huge part in an outstanding winning or being incredibly consistant. When I'm talking about this, I'm talking of having a Cristiano Ronaldo/Lionel Messi type of season so IMHO you can't be among the best based on one season.

So my top 10 from 2010 to today :

1) Lionel Messi. What else ?

2) Cristiano Ronaldo. Well I rank him under Messi but still in a tier of his own.

3) Andrès Iniesta. What I liked about him is how much of a big game player he is, plus he's after Messi the less system player of Barcelona.

4) Wayne Rooney. The most erratic player among the best, you never know what to expect to him. His last season with Ronaldo he had to go on the wing doing the dirty work, then he became an incredible goalscorer then after his "transfer request" he became my number 2 player in the world during that 2011 season and then he came back to being a goalscorer and now with Van Persie you don't know what he's going to be. But one thing is for sure is that Wayne Rooney is the best striker (with Drogba and Eto'o being gone) in Europe, he can basically do everything. Sorry but everyone doubted when Ronaldo went to Madrid, then he delivered and became the world class main attacker that everybody wanted him to be, won the game in San Siro and if it wasn't for him and his injury against Bayern, MU would have go to Bernabeu to the final. Then his season as a second striker after his payrise was class and my favourite. His last season his touch seems totally off and wasn't that impressive... And he score 34 goals in 44 games, that's world class in my book. One of my favourite player.

5) Xavi Hernandez. Being the general of two of the best team in the history of the game (Spain & Barcelona) speaks for itself.

6) Yaya Touré. Mister do-it-all from CB to second striker. The most complete player as of today as he was a starter for Barcelona treble team (only went to the bench in favour of a more DNAed Barcelona Busquets), then was great in boring City of R. Mancini in 2011 and won them the FA Cup and now he's the general of the England champion the actual only player that I truely see as world class

7) Iker Casillas (if he wasn't retired it would have been Edwin Van der Sar). The most exposed and mediatic of those playing the most exposing position in the game, being that good with that amount of pressure is incredible. On the mighty 4 clasicos run he was clearly in my eyes the best player. You can say all you want about him (I know british doesn't seem to rate him that much since I guess he has not this tall GK stand like Neuer or Joe Hart), but he always delivers when it count. Never cost Spain a game during WC2010 and Euro12 nor during Real Madrid champions league campaigns of the last two seasons. Plus he's a super classy guy.

8) Radamel Falcao. Dude is born to score. Whenever there's a final or something, he got to score plus that's some badass goals. His only problem is no UCL football, but I take the bet it's not a problem for him.

9) Vidic/T.Silva/Kompany/Abidal. If you asked me this question 2008/2009 it would have been John Terry and Rio Ferdinand but those 2 guys are getting older and are still good but not the same. I can't define really who is the best of those 4, but all are great defenders but actually I don't rate them as much as prime Ferdinand, Terry and let's not talk about Nesta and Thuram (RIP Ledley King if it wasn't for injuries he had all the tools to be an all-time great defender). Vidic is the one (thanks to MU) that proved himself in Europe but he got exposed against some of the really great striker of this era I think... then Kompany has to prove himself in Europe but he was good last season in City campaign but he has right now some **** start debut of season, and T. Silva is great but I don't know, I just want to see more of him.

10) Zlatan Ibrahimovic. The best league player in the world Ronaldo and Messi. But when the challenge get higher he just doesn't has it. Yeah I sound like Skip Bayless but in this case that's so much truth. There's a time when you had to have that killer instinct, you have to be the one that fight the defenders, that never says stop... Rooney showed it, Drogba showed it, Eto'o showed it. His ability are amazing but he's not a fighter on the pitch.

Special mention to Eto'o, Drogba, Xabi Alonso, Arjen Robben etc... that can make the list.

IMHO if there were always here Drogba and Eto'o would still be in my top 10 list.

Drogba and Eto'o are the best striker from 2004 to 2012 in my book (with Rooney altough his start to be really world class in 2006), few players won as much and where as much lethal as them but also they were warriors guys that can do everything possible to win, easy to root for... Drogba might be a **** on the pitch, Eto'o might have said in the past some non political correct BS, but you know that with them in your team you have a guy upfront on who you can count.

That's why they are the 2 favourite player of José Mourinho... and since I'm african also my 2 favourite players :lol:
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#38 » by ardee » Tue Oct 9, 2012 1:01 pm

huskerdu wrote:Honestly, I love Zlatan and think he's a phenomenal player.

But really, he's the Carmelo Anthony of soccer. The poster above pretty much nailed why.

Excuse me :o ?

Zlatan has won the league title every year of his career save '11-'12. More like the Bill Russell of soccer :lol:
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#39 » by ardee » Tue Oct 9, 2012 1:03 pm

1. Ronaldo
2. Messi
3. Iniesta
4. Casillas
5. Falcao
6. Ibrahimovic
7. Xavi
8. Yaya Toure
9. Hummels
10. Pirlo
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#40 » by Mirjalovic » Tue Oct 9, 2012 3:45 pm

Let me try, its seems you guys forget about the Serie A

1a. Messi
1b. Ronaldo
3. Ibrahimovic
4. Xavi
5. Iniesta
6. Falcao
7. Gigi Buffon
8. Andrea Pirlo
9. Hernanes
10. Nesta, he is the only one defender that i can trust to contain Messi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ik2G9TemM
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Return to The General Soccer Board