Football Related Random Thoughts Thread 2.0

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Re: Football Related Random Thoughts Thread 2.0 

Post#121 » by Baphomet » Mon Feb 3, 2014 8:24 am

I always circle the date when Stoke and West Ham play each other in the league. It's like England's very own Superbowl. Except at half time instead of vulgar displays of grotesque hedonism and national pride, you have Andy Carroll grazing near the corner flag like a drunk gazelle.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Post#122 » by Baphomet » Mon Feb 3, 2014 9:01 am

Mick McCarthy. :rofl:

Spoiler:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/glennebrey/status/428297087877263360[/tweet]
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#123 » by Foye » Mon Feb 3, 2014 9:52 am

J-Mezzy wrote:
Foye wrote:
J-Mezzy wrote:
Futbol>>>>American football. But this game is a bad sample of the game. It's better than this.

No, it's not. Eggball is absolutely terrible. Same with baseball.

Only hockey and basketball are cool.

Not every game is 36-0. There are some exciting games, but I do find it funny when the American media ridicules futbol.

It is not only the scoreline today. Eggball is kinda like if you were only allowed to take free kicks or run to the goal by dribbling without passing the ball in soccer. Lame.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,216

Post#124 » by J-Mezzy » Mon Feb 3, 2014 2:57 pm

WTF is up with Colombia's federation? Being ranked 4th and being a South American team in a world cup that will be hosted in S. America and with 6 S. American teams should be able to land you some decent friendlies. Yet, we are playing Albania, Honduras, and God knows what other lame team to finish it off.

Do you guys think it's important to play tough games in friendlies prior to the WC or is it not that big of a deaL?
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,111

Post#125 » by magik9113 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 3:49 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:WTF is up with Colombia's federation? Being ranked 4th and being a South American team in a world cup that will be hosted in S. America and with 6 S. American teams should be able to land you some decent friendlies. Yet, we are playing Albania, Honduras, and God knows what other lame team to finish it off.

Do you guys think it's important to play tough games in friendlies prior to the WC or is it not that big of a deaL?

i don't think it's a big deal. I wouldn't blame you for hoping their 3rd game would be against a quality opponent but I doubt it matters. I have often wondered if these warm up games matter but I don't think so. Italy looked clueless leading up to Euro2012...they lost their friendlies to USA and Uruguay then got DESTROYED by Russia 3-0 right before the tournament began. But they were a new team once it started
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#126 » by KF10 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 5:57 pm

KF10 wrote:Herrera is going to sit down and talk with Vela in February about the situation. IMO, Vela comes back to the NT.

Annnnd I'm wrong.

Vela says no because he is not "mentally ready" for the WC.

What a shame.

Vela was the best out field player for CONCACAF by a mile imo.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#127 » by edfmx86 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 7:52 pm

KF10 wrote:
KF10 wrote:Herrera is going to sit down and talk with Vela in February about the situation. IMO, Vela comes back to the NT.

Annnnd I'm wrong.

Vela says no because he is not "mentally ready" for the WC.

What a shame.

Vela was the best out field player for CONCACAF by a mile imo.

A shame indeed. Oh well, forget him. I'm ready to root for the guys who actually give a damn. The guys who went through the embarrassing qualifiers, struggle to score and shed tears in the process. It's only fair that they get to sweat the shirts in Brazil over a guy who clearly has no interest in doing so. I wish Vela the best in Spain and hope that someday we get to see him represent the country again at a high level.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#128 » by J-Mezzy » Mon Feb 3, 2014 7:58 pm

What the F is Vela's problem? He didn't like the last coach, but what now? Screw that guy and I am not even Mexican.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#129 » by edfmx86 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 8:08 pm

The letter from Carlos Vela (in Spanish)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ceezj0p0s4p0c ... ebrero.pdf

Solamente irán 23 jugadores a Brasil. La gran mayoría o todos los que asistirán al Mundial serán muy afortunados. Algunos de estos 23 han vivido, gozado y sufrido esta calificación y no sería justo por mi parte el que alguno de ellos se quedara fuera para cederme su lugar.

100% agree with that.

If Miguel Herrera can get out of his group and win Mexico's dread fourth game with what ever squad he takes, surely they'll build him a statue outside of El Azteca.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#130 » by J-Mezzy » Mon Feb 3, 2014 8:16 pm

edfmx86 wrote:The letter from Carlos Vela (in Spanish)

Solamente irán 23 jugadores a Brasil. La gran mayoría o todos los que asistirán al Mundial serán muy afortunados. Algunos de estos 23 han vivido, gozado y sufrido esta calificación y no sería justo por mi parte el que alguno de ellos se quedara fuera para cederme su lugar.

100% agree with that.

If Miguel Herrera can get out of his group and win Mexico's dread fourth game with what ever squad he takes, surely they'll build him a statue outside of El Azteca.

I don't agree with that. Victor Ibarbo, Eder Balnta, Jeison Murillo were all not a part of the qualifying process, but all Colombians will like to see them in the world cup. In the end, you want your best players out there and it is an honor for a player to represent their country, especially in latin America bro. You don't turn that down with some lame excuse like this.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#131 » by edfmx86 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 8:36 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:

100% agree with that.

I don't agree with that. Victor Ibarbo, Eder Balnta, Jeison Murillo were all not a part of the qualifying process, but all Colombians will like to see them in the world cup. In the end, you want your best players out there and it is an honor for a player to represent their country, especially in latin America bro. You don't turn that down with some lame excuse like this.

Well Im sure Ibarbo, Balnta, and Murillo weren't all denying the call ups for their team. For me, even though i would have loved to see him go to the World cup, if Vela goes to Brasil it would feel a lot like the story of the little red hen. Where no one helped the hen make the bread but sure as hell wanted to help her eat it. Vela didn't help make the bread so he shouldn't get a piece of it either. His absence only hurts because of Mexico's poor qualifiers.
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant
And1: 548

Post#132 » by Man of Steel » Sat Feb 8, 2014 5:52 pm

R.I.P. Maicon, who passed away in a car accident today.
HALA MADRID || GO LEAFS GO || LET'S GO RAPTORS
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#133 » by J-Mezzy » Sat Feb 8, 2014 6:06 pm

Damn that sucks. R.I.P and bless his family
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#134 » by J-Mezzy » Sun Feb 9, 2014 1:13 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3k7gumrqI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Such an underrated beast. I remember someone here saying he was an average goal keeper. If you watch this guy play, you will know right away that he is a very good goal keeper. He is just unknown, but that will change come world cup time though.
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#135 » by Point forward » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:24 pm

:D
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#136 » by DD12 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:43 am

100% agree with that.

What is he basically saying?
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#137 » by J-Mezzy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 am

That 23 other players suffered and lived the qualifiers and that it would be unfair for him to take one of their spots.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#138 » by edfmx86 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:07 pm

DD12 wrote:

100% agree with that.

What is he basically saying?

the quote says that the 23 players who will get selected to go to the WC are all players who have lived and suffered the qualifiers and that it wouldnt be fair for him to take a spot knowing someone who did play in the qualifiers is going to be out.

the rest of the letter says things like he's not mentally ready to join the National team and that someday he would like to come back, blah blah, same old stuff we've heard in the past.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#139 » by edfmx86 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:26 pm

I cant stop watching :lol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vcJibyBRAM[/youtube]
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#140 » by and1GS » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:48 pm

Best celebration ever :lol: saw that yesterday
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in

Return to The General Soccer Board