2014 World Cup General Discussion

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Re: 2014 World Cup General Discussion 

Post#141 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:05 am

DD12 wrote:
J-Mezzy wrote:Again, Spain might win the whole thing, but if I am a team like Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Switzerland, etc, I rather play Spain than Brazil or Germany.

I think you are a bit underestimating Spain. They have been winning almost everything past 10 years. Everybody knows what to do, injuries seem no problem for them at all, all the players are pretty consistent.

I would be amazed if they can't make the finals.

I don't know. Maybe I just haven't been impressed with them over the past 1.5 years in WCQ, Confed cup, or friendlies. I know they are elite and I wouldn't be surprised if they won the whole thing, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they were a second round out.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#142 » by EArl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:08 pm

Spains one of those teams that half asses everything and then tries to turn it on when it matters. Basically your NBA's Heat.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,908

Post#143 » by cgf » Sat Feb 1, 2014 8:23 am

I know I mentioned them before but I can't sleep so I've been dicking around on my phone before bed and took a look at the serbian youth teams, and the U17 and U19's are both into the elite qualifying round with pretty easy groups and the U21s are holding their own in the toughest group, a point ahead of italy and 3 behind belgium, with a game in hand on the belgians.

Plus I forgot Ljajic in my earlier posts, that dude is such a stud.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,111

Post#144 » by magik9113 » Sat Feb 1, 2014 4:40 pm

cgf wrote:I know I mentioned them before but I can't sleep so I've been dicking around on my phone before bed and took a look at the serbian youth teams, and the U17 and U19's are both into the elite qualifying round with pretty easy groups and the U21s are holding their own in the toughest group, a point ahead of italy and 3 behind belgium, with a game in hand on the belgians.

That group is STACKED with young talent between Italy-Belgium-Serbia. I've been watching many of the games and Serbia is legit especially on D with Nastasic
cgf
RealGM

Post#145 » by cgf » Sat Feb 1, 2014 7:49 pm

magik9113 wrote:
cgf wrote:I know I mentioned them before but I can't sleep so I've been dicking around on my phone before bed and took a look at the serbian youth teams, and the U17 and U19's are both into the elite qualifying round with pretty easy groups and the U21s are holding their own in the toughest group, a point ahead of italy and 3 behind belgium, with a game in hand on the belgians.

That group is STACKED with young talent between Italy-Belgium-Serbia. I've been watching many of the games and Serbia is legit especially on D with Nastasic

Yeah, I hadn't been paying too much attention because our U21s have a pretty easy group while the U19's are more exciting and are in a crazy group with Spain and the Danes, but I may have to start trying to watch those games in your U21 group, especially cause there's still so many big games between you three to go.

I don't know much about you guys, but the serbians seem to have been using a lot of their big name young talents who've already been cap'd by the senior side, Markovic, Djuricic, Mitrovic, new-Dortmunder Jojic and the 17yo Zivkovic, and the Belgian roster looks absolutely nasty in midfield and attack.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#146 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Feb 7, 2014 3:44 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1950 ... s-colombia

Everyone seems to have us losing to Brazil. Can't say that I disagree, but maybe we can be 2014's version of "el maracanaso"

This is perhaps the most accurate article about Colombia, good read.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#147 » by magik9113 » Fri Feb 7, 2014 7:03 pm

cgf wrote:
magik9113 wrote:

Yeah, I hadn't been paying too much attention because our U21s have a pretty easy group while the U19's are more exciting and are in a crazy group with Spain and the Danes, but I may have to start trying to watch those games in your U21 group, especially cause there's still so many big games between you three to go.

I don't know much about you guys, but the serbians seem to have been using a lot of their big name young talents who've already been cap'd by the senior side, Markovic, Djuricic, Mitrovic, new-Dortmunder Jojic and the 17yo Zivkovic, and the Belgian roster looks absolutely nasty in midfield and attack.

Italy only has had 2 players from the squad that made the u21Euro finals and they got a new coach right after that tournament. [I'm sure many teams had this problem, but] this overhaul hurt them in their first qualifying game where they lost to Belgium. Little Lukaku and little Hazard were very impressive that match. Italy looked good that game, though, and went on to easily win the rest of their games, including the 2nd vs Belgium.

It wasn't until Serbia came along that Italy got destroyed. It ended 1-0 but they could not get pasted Nastasic or the rest of the back 4 and goalkeeper Bardi was the only reason it was so close. I recall Markovic and Mitrovic starting up top, constantly dangerous.

Serbia vs. Belgium and Serbia vs. Italy both will be played beginning of March, I can't wait
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#148 » by magik9113 » Fri Feb 7, 2014 7:07 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1950405-tighes-2014-world-cup-tactics-board-analysing-jose-pekermans-colombia

Everyone seems to have us losing to Brazil. Can't say that I disagree, but maybe we can be 2014's version of "el maracanaso"

Yepes is still projected to be a starter? God bless him. I'm sure he'll do well with his experience though. He's probably the best defender Chievo has ever seen
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#149 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Feb 7, 2014 7:12 pm

So we played Serbia last year and only beat them 1-0. At the time, I was disappointed with that result, but judging from the posts here, that result actually wasn't that bad?
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#150 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Feb 7, 2014 7:16 pm

magik9113 wrote:
J-Mezzy wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1950405-tighes-2014-world-cup-tactics-board-analysing-jose-pekermans-colombia

Yepes is still projected to be a starter? God bless him. I'm sure he'll do well with his experience though. He's probably the best defender Chievo has ever seen

Hopefully he doesn't start, but he's definitely going to the world cup. It will be Zapata and someone else. Hopefully Murillo from last liga.
cgf
RealGM

Post#151 » by cgf » Fri Feb 7, 2014 7:24 pm

magik9113 wrote:Italy only has had 2 players from the squad that made the u21Euro finals and they got a new coach right after that tournament. [I'm sure many teams had this problem, but] this overhaul hurt them in their first qualifying game where they lost to Belgium. Little Lukaku and little Hazard were very impressive that match. Italy looked good that game, though, and went on to easily win the rest of their games, including the 2nd vs Belgium.

It wasn't until Serbia came along that Italy got destroyed. It ended 1-0 but they could not get pasted Nastasic or the rest of the back 4 and goalkeeper Bardi was the only reason it was so close. I recall Markovic and Mitrovic starting up top, constantly dangerous.

Serbia vs. Belgium and Serbia vs. Italy both will be played beginning of March, I can't wait

Yeah, I'm excited to see those match ups. I'm pulling for the young serbs to pull it out, would mean a lot to them for the next qualifying cycle of their senior team as Nas, Markovic and Mitrovic will be big parts of that senior team. Would love to see them win a youth tournament together before going to the A-team for good.

J-Mezzy wrote:So we played Serbia last year and only beat them 1-0. At the time, I was disappointed with that result, but judging from the posts here, that result actually wasn't that bad?

Their defense has been legit for a while, but now they're starting to get some exciting midfield and attacking talent to, a good bit of whom are now with the u21 team.

Looking at the lineups from that game it wasn't their best squad, but they're a tough to break down team even without all of their best players.

Garbs_7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,582

Post#152 » by Garbs_7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:28 am

Anyone else here actually going to Brazil for the WC? Can't wait...
EArl
RealGM

Post#153 » by EArl » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:07 pm

I wish. I have a friend thats will be staying there for a month. He has family over there so he doesn't have to worry about finding a place.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
cgf
RealGM

Post#154 » by cgf » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:21 pm

I was going to but things came up, the group I was gunna go with kinda fell apart, and the Brazilians we worked with turned to be just as scheisty as you'd expect Brazilian pharmaceuticals to be. Instead this summer is for planning my move to NYC.

ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#155 » by ardee » Thu Mar 6, 2014 6:01 am

Do people think France is a bit of a dark horse?

They have a terrific midfield headlined by Pogba, Matuidi and Cabaye. Ribery is a given, Nasri has been in great form this year. Up front you have Benzema who has finally shown people what he can really do at Madrid, Valbuena also shows up for France a lot. Not to mention Griezman.

Suspect at the back, left back is a big hole and Varane does not seem ready in the middle, but it's a talented team overall with an embarrassment of riches in the front six and a nice core already playing together at PSG.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
cgf
RealGM

Post#156 » by cgf » Thu Mar 6, 2014 6:29 am

This is the same French side who almost got themselves knocked out by the Ukraine. Their producing individual talents better than they have in a while, but they're still a poorly organized and disciplined whole.

Plus most of their talents aren't so great that they can overcome better organized top teams. Only Ribery, Lloris and Pogba are truly world class, and for Pogba he's still inexperienced at it.

EArl
RealGM

Post#157 » by EArl » Thu Mar 6, 2014 6:34 am

Ribery and Benzema from my recall don't do much in international play iirc.
EArl
RealGM

Post#158 » by EArl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Any news on Falcao?
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#159 » by magik9113 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:17 pm

ardee wrote:Do people think France is a bit of a dark horse?

They have a terrific midfield headlined by Pogba, Matuidi and Cabaye. Ribery is a given, Nasri has been in great form this year. Up front you have Benzema who has finally shown people what he can really do at Madrid, Valbuena also shows up for France a lot. Not to mention Griezman.

Suspect at the back, left back is a big hole and Varane does not seem ready in the middle, but it's a talented team overall with an embarrassment of riches in the front six and a nice core already playing together at PSG.

What do you guys think?

Their core players seem to be in terrific form. This team is growing on me and I would not be surprised if they made a run to the semi finals even. My money is on them getting knocked out in the quarters.

Lloris is a good enough GK, I actually feel like Mandanda is less error prone.
Defense: Varane, Evra, Sakho, Koscielny, Rami, Sagna....good players to choose from.
Mid: Pogba who is already world class, Ribery, Griezmann, Matuidi, Nasri -- all having great seasons. Also Valbuena like you said is a star for the national team.
Attack: Benzema, nuff said
Cruzeirao
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#160 » by Cruzeirao » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Now i have tickets to 4 games (all then will be played at my home city - Belo Horizonte).

Colombia X Greece
Belgium X Algeria
Argentina X Iran
Costa Rica X England

I bought today, after a long time waiting, Argentina X Iran.

Return to The General Soccer Board