World Cup Rd. of 16: Netherlands vs. Mexico (June 29th)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Who will win?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:53 pm

Netherlands
71%
Mexico
29%

Total votes: 31

poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Re: World Cup Rd. of 16: Netherlands vs. Mexico (June 29th) 

Post#361 » by poeman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:54 am

Rafa is the one the blame...He got baited and still poked his feet out impeding Robben...It is a foul even if Robben made it dramatic. Sucks but it is what it is.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,500

Post#362 » by cgf » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:59 am

The Duke wrote:Robben should have been given a PK for an earlier challenge.
The one at the end, is a PK as well. He beat his man, he is entitled to the room.
The defender made it too easy for the ref, and in reality should have let Robben go, cuz there was 4 mexican defenders in the box, and Robben (at that point) did not have the angle. Yes, the defender should have seen that cuz he was at the touch line.

Did Mexico really think they could flat out defend for 40mins?
Dutch has been putting pressure on everyone in the entire tournament.
Mexico got really tired at the end, you could see it in the errors they were committing.
Somehow Robben was still strong after all that at the end. Amazing conditioning.
One would think that Central/South American teams would be more acustomed to these hot conditions.

Chile and Mexico were the best runner-ups that the group winners were going to face.
For me its ... Mexico - Chile - Switz - Uruguay - USA - Alegeria - Greece - Nigeria

France will handle Nigeria, Germany will handle Algeria. France vs Germany later is going to be nice.

Beligum vs USA ... Argentina vs Switz .. could be interesting.

Robben is the **** energizer bunny. Dude can lay out a sprint at top speed in stoppage time and still have the strength and energy to make a sharp cut before bursting in another direction. His stamina is just insane now and he's in the best physical shape he's ever been. This is why he's been healthier in recent years, his conditioning and strength have increased massively since arriving in Bavaria. Hate him and that team, but damn is it impressive.

As for the rest of your post I'd put mexico behind Chile and the Swiss, and drop a suarez less Uruguay behind the USA and I think even Algeria. With how underwhelming both Belgium and Argentina have been in the group stages tomorrow looks primed for an upset, just hoping it's the swiss that take down Argentina and not the US knock off the Belgians.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
mas1977
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#363 » by mas1977 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:40 am

I'm Dutch, but I don't believe it was a penalty... Having said that, a defender should never give the ref a reason to give one. And the defender did just that with the way he set his foot. There was contact and Robben used that.

And Robben should definitely have gotten one at the end of first half, where he was kicked twice.

Very happy with this one. I think I just only quit jumping around. It was a tough match and again we played poorly. After the 1-0 Mexico just lost it when we changed tactics. It's not even that we started playing much better, but more that Mexico gave us the space to do so. Still we barely got chances. The Sneijder goal came out of nowhere. Robben was THE man again. Really amazing how dangerous he is.

Costa Rica next... We shouldn't underestimate them. They came through a very difficult group without a loss. Still think it should be very doable to reach the semis. And who knows after that, we definitely have the luck of a champion...
Mazter
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Post#364 » by Mazter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:03 pm

mas1977 wrote:I'm Dutch, but I don't believe it was a penalty...

Well, my best guess it was a pk. He already raised his right left leg to evade the contact and Marquez still clips Robben's right foot. Did he fall theatrically? Of course he did. But when he didn't in the first half he didn't get the pk, so maybe selling the contact is necessary sometimes to get the right call.

Besides, it was a poor and unnecesarry challenge by an experienced defender under pressure. There were 3 other defender, the ball looked gone for Robben and there was no angle to shoot. But that happens if you are with your back against the wall. Mistakes are going to be made eventually. I'm glad Marquez did and the ref wisthled for the pk, not all refs would have done it.

Holland took the game over after the 1-0 and dominated the last 20-30 minutes. They outshot Mexico 14-12, had 10-2 edge in corners and 55% of the ball possesion. Mexico had their moment but
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#365 » by Higga » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:41 pm

I don't know if it was worthy of a PK or not but if you're an experienced player like Marquez you do NOT put yourself in that position.

Mexico have nobody to blame but themselves. They played way too passively once they got the lead and the Dutch are too talented offensively to not score if you keep giving them possession deep in your own end.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#366 » by JV4MVP » Tue Jul 1, 2014 1:31 am

Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Post#367 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Jul 1, 2014 5:54 am

Robben admits to flopping, IMHO he should see a card for that. The game can do without this flopping and theatrics.

Return to The General Soccer Board