Re: Transfer Thread 9.0- Brazuca Edition 

Post#1103 » by GMgoran » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:15 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/494780282260979712[/tweet]
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#1104 » by Boognish » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Corporal Jenkinson set to get some PT, alright. WH kits look pretty sharp.
GMgoran
Banned User
And1: 206

Post#1105 » by GMgoran » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:29 pm

Boognish wrote:Corporal Jenkinson set to get some PT, alright. WH kits look pretty sharp.

West Ham have made some very interesting signings this summer: Enner Valencia, Cheikhou Kouyate, Mauro Zarate, Carl Jenkinson, Aaron Cresswell ... I can't escape the feeling that these are not exactly Big Sam's type of signings ...
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1106 » by and1GS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:43 pm

GMgoran wrote:
Boognish wrote:Corporal Jenkinson set to get some PT, alright. WH kits look pretty sharp.

West Ham have made some very interesting signings this summer: Enner Valencia, Cheikhou Kouyate, Mauro Zarate, Carl Jenkinson, Aaron Cresswell ... I can't escape the feeling that these are not exactly Big Sam's type of signings ...

Was reading a book on the EPL and apparently Big Sam is an advocate of advanced stats in football (I know, super odd to me when I read about it). These signings are a bit random to me, which leads me to believe that either he knew exactly what they were doing or the board was literally throwing darts at the wall.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
GMgoran
Banned User

Post#1107 » by GMgoran » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:00 pm

and1GS wrote:
GMgoran wrote:

Was reading a book on the EPL and apparently Big Sam is an advocate of advanced stats in football (I know, super odd to me when I read about it). These signings are a bit random to me, which leads me to believe that either he knew exactly what they were doing or the board was literally throwing darts at the wall.

Every time I see the "advanced stats" expression, I immediately think of Damien Comolli ... He was capable of such brilliant signings, yet at the same time, he was capable of some totally atrocious signings ... That leads me to believe that the "advanced stats" model is pretty much the same as throwing darts at the wall ...
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1108 » by and1GS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:03 pm

GMgoran wrote:
and1GS wrote:
GMgoran wrote:

Every time I see the "advanced stats" expression, I immediately think of Damien Comolli ... He was capable of such brilliant signings, yet at the same time, he was capable of some totally atrocious signings ... That leads me to believe that the "advanced stats" model is pretty much the same as throwing darts at the wall ...

Totally understand, Comolli came up a ton as they tended to lionize his big signings and omit the crap ones. They basically said Rafa sucked in the transfer market with Pool while Comolli crushed it...don't know about the latter. Thought it was interesting regardless.

I think football is such a creative, teamwork-based game that advanced stats is only half of the puzzle. Was just trying to say that Sam likely was trying to fit all those guys into whatever piece of **** tapestry he's constructing.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,612

Post#1109 » by Baphomet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Comolli only made one really good signing with Liverpool, and that was Suarez. Henderson has come good to some extent, but the rest of his signings have ranged from bad to awful.

On the other hand, the vast majority of his Spurs signings were great, although not all of them found success at Spurs, K.P. Boateng, Gio dos Santos, etc.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#1110 » by Next Coming » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:10 pm

GMorgan >

Keep giving it to them mate. Lol.
GMgoran
Banned User

Post#1111 » by GMgoran » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:12 pm

"Agent of Porto's Juan Quintero plays down talk of Arsenal move"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... senal-move
GMgoran
Banned User

Post#1112 » by GMgoran » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:27 pm

Baphomet wrote:Comolli only made one really good signing with Liverpool, and that was Suarez. Henderson has come good to some extent, but the rest of his signings have ranged from bad to awful.

On the other hand, the vast majority of his Spurs signings were great, although not all of them found success at Spurs, K.P. Boating, Gio dos Santos, etc.

Suarez (£22.8 million) was a brilliant signing ... Henderson (£13 million + 3 million in incentives) is turning into a quality player ... Enrique (£6 million) was also a solid signing ... Coates (£4.9 million) has been performing really well in recent weeks, after missing the entire season due to a knee injury, so in the worst case scenario we would recoup what we have paid for him ... Ibe (£500,000) was another great scouting job ...

At the same time, he has signed Carroll (£35 million), Downing (£18.5 million) and Adam (£6.75 million) ... In the end, we were lucky to recoup £28 million for those 3 players ...
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1113 » by and1GS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 pm

GMgoran wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Comolli only made one really good signing with Liverpool, and that was Suarez. Henderson has come good to some extent, but the rest of his signings have ranged from bad to awful.

On the other hand, the vast majority of his Spurs signings were great, although not all of them found success at Spurs, K.P. Boating, Gio dos Santos, etc.

Suarez (£22.8 million) was a brilliant signing ... Henderson (£13 million + 3 million in incentives) is turning into a quality player ... Enrique (£6 million) was also a solid signing ... Coates (£4.9 million) has been performing really well in recent weeks, after missing the entire season due to a knee injury, so in the worst case scenario we would recoup what we have paid for him ... Ibe (£500,000) was another great scouting job ...

At the same time, he has signed Carroll (£35 million), Downing (£18.5 million) and Adam (£6.75 million) ... In the end, we were lucky to recoup £28 million for those 3 players ...

In the book they called the Downing signing a major coup and neglected to mention Andy Carroll :lol: Henderson was a really solid get, though.

The Downing one exemplified my thoughts on advanced stats. In short, the stats said Downing was creating more goal scoring opportunities for his team, proportionately, than any other player on any other EPL team.

However, I watched Villa a lot when Downing was there and despite you dummies saying he was the real star, it was painfully clear that he was not near Ashley Young talent-wise, and that the team revolved around Gabby. Downing was good for Villa and ticked all the boxes, but he could never take over a match and had a surprisingly limited skillset.

Comolli pooped the bed on that one, but stats are kinda in their infancy in football regardless.

Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#1114 » by Next Coming » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:30 am

LOL! Still can't believe we got £17M for Carroll.
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#1115 » by DD12 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:10 am

For some stupid reason, english players are extremely overrated and overpriced. There is no way Southampton can make over 150 million euro in one transfer window. No way downing, bent, carroll can make several 10+ million pound transfers.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,310

Post#1116 » by MaliBrah » Fri Aug 1, 2014 4:34 am

jenkinson looks good in that west ham kit. Hopefully he has a solid season
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,310

Post#1117 » by MaliBrah » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:49 am

quintero linked to arsenal , colombians flourishing after that world cup performance.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,612

Post#1118 » by Baphomet » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:56 am

DD12 wrote:For some stupid reason, english players are extremely overrated and overpriced. There is no way Southampton can make over 150 million euro in one transfer window. No way downing, bent, carroll can make several 10+ million pound transfers.

Yeah, it's really baffling. I think that's also part of why so few English players move abroad, because foreign clubs are unwilling to pony up the ridiculous premium that clubs are asking for. Let's not forget David Bentley, who moved to Spurs for £17m and has now retired from football at only 29 years old. In my eyes, by far the worst transfer in our entire history.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#1119 » by Det the Threat » Fri Aug 1, 2014 6:01 am

DD12 wrote:For some stupid reason, english players are extremely overrated and overpriced. There is no way Southampton can make over 150 million euro in one transfer window. No way downing, bent, carroll can make several 10+ million pound transfers.

It's the english market and all the money from those investors.
If you're able to walk straight forward without injuring yourself, you're worth at least £10M.
Players in England are just way more expensive then in a country like Germany etc., where you can get players with the same talent level for about half that price.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,451

Post#1120 » by Foye » Fri Aug 1, 2014 7:35 am

Det the Threat wrote:

It's the english market and all the money from those investors.
If you're able to walk straight forward without injuring yourself, you're worth at least £10M.
Players in England are just way more expensive then in a country like Germany etc., where you can get players with the same talent level for about half that price.

You are way too kind to English players lol. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to The General Soccer Board