World Cup Quarter Finals: Argentina vs. Belgium (July 5th)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Who will win?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 5, 2014 10:33 pm

Argentina
48%
Belgium
52%

Total votes: 23

Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,863

Re: World Cup Quarter Finals: Argentina vs. Belgium (July 5t 

Post#141 » by Hoopstar23 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:10 pm

Is Di-Maria alright? will he be ready for the SFs?
TheAdmiral
RealGM
And1: 1,213

Post#142 » by TheAdmiral » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:10 pm

Messi is King wrote:
TheAdmiral wrote:Unbelievable how lucky Argentina has gotten once again. Need a Ramos type miracle to tie this match

You've been crying all tournament.

Argentina outplayed the hell out of Belgium, I'm sorry Ronaldo east good enough to do anything in this tournament

What the **** are you on? Pass some of the drugs you're on. Argentina outplayed the hell out of nobody. Belgium was far from good, but Argentina didn't do much either that would make anyone think they truly deserved the win. No need to dwell on it though, they're through thanks to Higuaín. Good for a former Madrid player to show up and carry this team to the semifinal.

Why would you even mention Ronaldo? Portugal was awful sure, but did you forget how easy Argentina's schedule was during the group stages? Iran, Nigeria, Bosnia vs Germany, US and Ghana? Try being objective for once instead of fanboying it up 24/7.

Coming from a mixed background, I primarily support Brazil and the Dutch second. Just so you get your facts straight.
D-31 wrote:again..all of u Jordan fans are caught up in his scoring accolades and fail to realize that he was a lousy basketball player.

Jordan never fully understood basketball. He had the lowest basketball IQ of any NBA "superstar" in history.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,652

Post#143 » by cgf » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:11 pm

5DOM wrote:
cgf wrote:
Ted Lasso wrote:
...which is incredibly ironic.

Not when they decide to start Fellaini, he's a good plan B off of the bench when they have possession but can't finish and need someone in the box to create havoc, but he's just so slow and so bad with the ball at his feet, you can't start him and expect to achieve more than what everton have done or the QF.

Also didn't help that their only creatives where actually invisible and not mesut-invinsible where they still create multiple great chances and can put a cross into the box.

C'mon now, Hazard led all players in interceptions today. I thought you liked that stuff - not being a notoriously clueless EPL watcher and all.

Touche, and I do think Hazard has gotten **** on a little more than is appropriate by some today, nor would I ever take him off for Chadli, but I couldn't pass up the chance to take a rib at all the people talking **** about mesut being invisible despite giving both Mueller and Schurrle golden chances to put the game away.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#144 » by DD12 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:14 pm

Whatever earl supports or thinks will win, please let me know guys. I will bet other side and make lots of $$$$
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,225

Post#145 » by EArl » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:15 pm

DD12 wrote:Whatever earl supports or thinks will win, please let me know guys. I will bet other side and make lots of $$$$

should I root against the germans so you can win and lose at the same time?
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
cgf
RealGM

Post#146 » by cgf » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:15 pm

Ted Lasso wrote:
cgf wrote:
Ted Lasso wrote:
...which is incredibly ironic.

Not when they decide to start Fellaini, he's a good plan B off of the bench when they have possession but can't finish and need someone in the box to create havoc, but he's just so slow and so bad with the ball at his feet, you can't start him and expect to achieve more than what everton have done or the QF.

Also didn't help that their only creatives where actually invisible and not mesut-invinsible where they still create multiple great chances and can put a cross into the box.

I believe there's been a misunderstanding once again. It's incredibly ironic that Belgium's best option is in fact the full Stoke when you consider their reputation as a team overflowing with creative offensive talent.

I don't think it's really ironic that people who don't know what they're talking about don't know what they're talking about :wink: Belgium have yet to show that they're a fluid attacking side like Colombia and qualified with a very pragmatic campaign, made it through their group very functionally and only really looked like they were a creative side against the US. And if one looked at the team they were sending out you could see why with Fellaini being a starter the most clear sign that this wasn't a fluid passing side that flourished with the ball at their feet.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#147 » by El Turco » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:16 pm

Hoopstar23 wrote:Is Di-Maria alright? will he be ready for the SFs?

don't have info but that look like a ligament injury, i doubt it
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
EArl
RealGM

Post#148 » by EArl » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:16 pm

El Turco wrote:

don't have info that look like a ligament injury, i doubt it

RIP El Belgian
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#149 » by 5DOM » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:16 pm

cgf wrote:Touche, and I do think Hazard has gotten **** on a little more than is appropriate by some today, nor would I ever take him off for Chadli, but I couldn't pass up the chance to take a rib at all the people talking **** about mesut being invisible despite giving both Mueller and Schurrle golden chances to put the game away.

The reason guys like Hazard and Ozil get criticized harshly is because they are expected to perform much better. IMO much of the criticisms are actually justified in this tournament. They have been mediocre at best outside a few moment.

Hazard's usually crap for Belgium, so I don't think they would have lost much if Januzaj played instead. I doubt they would have gained much either though. Their offence is just so slow and predictable.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#150 » by El Turco » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:16 pm

let's be real belgium was always overrated 8-)
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
cgf
RealGM

Post#151 » by cgf » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:22 pm

5DOM wrote:
cgf wrote:Touche, and I do think Hazard has gotten **** on a little more than is appropriate by some today, nor would I ever take him off for Chadli, but I couldn't pass up the chance to take a rib at all the people talking **** about mesut being invisible despite giving both Mueller and Schurrle golden chances to put the game away.

The reason guys like Hazard and Ozil get criticized harshly is because they are expected to perform much better. IMO much of the criticisms are actually justified in this tournament. Hazard's usually crap for Belgium, so I don't think they would have lost much if Januzaj played instead. I doubt they would have gained much either though. Their offence is just so slow and predictable.

But in the case of Ozil I don't think it's reasonable to expect too much more than the creation he's done, he's in there to feed guys chances on a golden platter and he blows everyone else on our team away in that category, and that with Gotze often in the exact same space so they can get in each other's way.

I won't argue Hazard being consistently underwhelming for Belgium, although I think there to it's important to re-calibrate expectations to how Belgium actually play, versus how people who only look at their roster and the clubs those guys play for think they would play. Witsel's an excellent holder and de bruyne's a big talent who's learning to be consistent, but they started **** Fellaini and Origi in a WC QF against Messi, while playing 4 CBs. The team just isn't built for him to be really fluid and when they don't have space to counter he just isn't given a chance to take over a game.

People criticize chelsea for over-pragmatism, but they have done a much better job of supporting Hazard and putting him in positions to take advantage of his class.

Hoopstar23
Veteran

Post#152 » by Hoopstar23 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:23 pm

EArl wrote:
El Turco wrote:

don't have info that look like a ligament injury, i doubt it

RIP El Belgian

I hope hes healthy they will need him
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#153 » by Boognish » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:38 pm

El Belgian is dead, move on
EArl
RealGM

Post#154 » by EArl » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:53 pm

Boognish wrote:El Belgian is dead, move on

Please take of avy Boogs.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#155 » by Next Coming » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:57 pm

Belgium are frauds. That Wilmots character is a bad ted. Needs the sack.
cgf
RealGM

Post#156 » by cgf » Sat Jul 5, 2014 7:13 pm

Wilmots has done a lot to unite a lockerroom that's traditionally been a mine field. He's got all of those guys playing together for Belgium and that's huge. I don't think they can' get rid of him unless they fail to improve at the euros, but there's still a lot he needs to improve tactically to keep his job beyond then.

They went as far as they should've this year as the QFs is where most had them going out, and although they failed to impress there's still a lot of talent coming through that's now gone through a major tourney together.

Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#157 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Jul 5, 2014 7:43 pm

I don't know how you could possibly justify sacking Wilmots, and i'm not even a fan.
Hoopstar23
Veteran

Post#158 » by Hoopstar23 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 9:27 pm

Official Di Maria is gone, out for the rest of the world cup with a muscle tear

http://www.managingmadrid.com/2014/7/5/ ... cup-injury

Damn hopefully Aguero comes back
EArl
RealGM

Post#159 » by EArl » Sat Jul 5, 2014 10:30 pm

Hoopstar23 wrote:Official Di Maria is gone, out for the rest of the world cup with a muscle tear

http://www.managingmadrid.com/2014/7/5/ ... cup-injury

Damn hopefully Aguero comes back

wow. Looks like Germany's chances to win this year just went up higher.
TheAdmiral
RealGM
And1: 1,213

Post#160 » by TheAdmiral » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Fellaini:

D-31 wrote:again..all of u Jordan fans are caught up in his scoring accolades and fail to realize that he was a lousy basketball player.

Jordan never fully understood basketball. He had the lowest basketball IQ of any NBA "superstar" in history.

Return to The General Soccer Board