World Cup Semi-Finals: Argentina vs Netherlands (July 9)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Who will win?

Argentina
43%
Netherlands
57%

Total votes: 37

Mike X
Starter
And1: 13

Re: World Cup Semi-Finals: Argentina vs Netherlands (July 9) 

Post#261 » by Mike X » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:28 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:another horrible failure of a run by the Dutch, for all that talent in the team, they came up short yet again in the WC....really hurts the leagacy of those supposed star players who fell so short on the big stage 2 WC in a row

How was this another failure? They weren't even the favourites going into the match (just like they weren't in 2010). They played to their potential both years.

I agree, unless you thought before the wc they were a lock to get to the final, which no-one did.

Being a Holland fan for nearIy I wasnt impressed with there style but feel the run heralds a good future in the next 4-6 years.

In particular the performances of De Vrij, Memphis, Fer, Clasie and Kongola give me alot of encouragement for the next few years.

Just no more 3-5-2 please.
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#262 » by MountainDrew » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:59 pm

As a Dutchman, I'm very proud of what we've done. I didn't really expect us to even make it out of the group stage, to even be amongst the last 4 nations standing is tremendous with so many eredivisie players.

Nobody should say our cup run was a failure, we overachieved, if anything, and I think we've put ourselves in good position for the future.
Trust the Process
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#263 » by and1GS » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:12 pm

DaRealHibachi wrote:Vlaar took the penalty because he was the 3rd player asked by van Gaal after 2 others passed up their opportunity... Vlaar saw it as his responsibility.. Too bad he missed, but he was amazing for us.. If it wasn't for him, we would've lost in regulation..

lol, I can't believe people pass up penalty kicks. Over the past couple years I've been part of about 4-5 penalty shootouts and after losing our first one, in which I didn't volunteer to shoot, I always made sure to get in the first three takers. If the opportunity presents itself might as well be at the forefront than be a pussy and refuse an opportunity for glory.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#264 » by Foye » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:32 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DZACTqM76o[/youtube]

It appears Vlaar's penalty was a case for goal line technology. Did the Netherlands get ripped by the refs? I don't think Vlaar touches the ball after Romero kept it.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#265 » by Andi Obst » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Foye wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DZACTqM76o[/youtube]

It appears Vlaar's penalty was a case for goal line technology. Did the Netherlands get ripped by the refs? I don't think Vlaar touches the ball after Romero kept it.

Looks like he touched it AND it didn't cross the line IMO :dontknow:
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Re: AW: World Cup Semi-Finals: Argentina vs Netherlands (Jul 

Post#266 » by Foye » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:17 pm

I dont think he touched it. Looks like in the last moment he decides to pull away his shoulder. But you are probably right that the ball is not fully over the line. It is very close, though.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to The General Soccer Board