Forum Tournament Group Stage - Group D

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Re: Forum Tournament Group Stage - Group D (Rd 2 polls are u 

Post#21 » by truth18 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:37 pm

So, I unfortunately don't have access to anything other than my phone today, the lineup above is what I'm going to use against cgf with nani as a sub and Ben Arfa starting.

As far as strategy goes, ill post something more detailed if/when I get a minute (I've had an insanely busy past two days), but I'd like to think my midfield/pressing attack would give that back line hell. Sturridge, Cout and Reus can dribble circles around that defense, and although the mf passing game may be weak at times due to cgf's formation, I'm pretty sure Sturridge and Reus get at least a goal a piece in this game, possibly two.

That said, your forwards will most def destroy my back line, especially on the counter where I can be slow. Should be a close game Imo, perhaps a tie.
YOU LOSE
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Re: Forum Tournament Group Stage - Group D (Rd 3 lineups!) 

Post#22 » by Ted Lasso » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:36 pm

BUCKnation has defeated poeman.

cgf has defeated truth18.

MountainDrew has defeated cgf.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Re: Forum Tournament Group Stage - Group D (Rd 3 lineups!) 

Post#23 » by BUCKnation » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Same lineup to start against cgf. I think his weakness is on the wings so I will attack that.

His midfield is pretty stacked so I think if I find my team struggling there, I will move to a 4-3-3 with
Schurrle-Ibra-Aguero up top and move Candreva down or sub on a MF.

I think the defense is the worst part of his team so I will definitely attack it.
truth18
RealGM

Re: Forum Tournament Group Stage - Group D (Rd 3 polls are u 

Post#24 » by truth18 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:27 am

I think I beat or draw drew with that same formation. My midfield is too athletic for him to handle and my front three would have a field day with his back line. Reus, Sturridge and Khedira win this for me.

2-1 or 1-1 with my team playing better possession football
YOU LOSE
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,915

Post#25 » by cgf » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:13 pm

Bucknation has a lot of fire power and strong backline, but like a few other teams in this comp he's very undermanned in the midfield and limited against the ball. Ibra, though my second favorite character in the gane, is shockingly lazy and useless against the ball. Aguero isn't as lazy, but that's cause I'm willing to split hairs when it comes to pressing, which to me is the most important aspect of the modern game. Schurrle helps a lot, candreva's solid and the Oscar-Toulalan partnership more than hold their own, if they don't get overrun, which my numbers throug the middle should ensure.

We stick with the 3-5-2 so that we have the numbers to limit ibra-Aguero with a spare man in back and the numbers to overwhelm their middle to isolate those wonderful attackers of his and get them frustrated. Suarez and costa will continue working the channels between the cbs and FBs to force his FBs to play more carefully, and we'll give our two plenty of support when we build that far, but this is a game we'll win with an ugly goal to snag the 2-1 if things go well, and a game in which a hard fought 1-1 will probably be fair given how good his defense is even if we do divide his side like we should.

While the ability to launch merciless counters from anywhere the instant we get the ball, wherever we get it, is a big part of this side and why we have so many great passers, with Schär, Witsel and mussachio in particular to launch beautiful long balls, this game we have to focus more on retaining possession to frustrate those attackers and impose ourselves on that sparse midfield, even if he does being a third man into the fray. We have the talent and numbers in those areas to do it, even if it is a style I personally don't like us much unless it's a situation like this where you're playing a very divided team that has a lot of talent on the ends but puts little in the middle. If we can't establish midfield dominance Dzagoev will come on for nainggolan to make our midfield even more clinical with the ball and real strangle the service to those two beasts of his.

cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#26 » by MountainDrew » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:05 pm

http://lineupbuilder.com/2014/custom/?sk=445h

Same lineup as against cgf, but Navas and Schneiderlin drop back a little bit more to contain Reus. Luiz can easily handle Ben Arfa/Nani. We will be pretty good in posessions especially on the left side with Strootman-James-Draxler triangle. Both Luiz and Strootman can play a quick long crosspass to Navas for the counter as well.

Not quite sure about the supposed athleticism of a Bender-Khedira-Coutinho midfield tbh. His fullbacks will have a very hard time with my wingers and I think we'll have plenty of chances to score.
Trust the Process
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#27 » by Ted Lasso » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:19 pm

MountainDrew has defeated truth18.

BUCKnation has defeated cgf.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Re: Forum Tournament Group Stage - Group D (Rd 4 polls are u 

Post#28 » by poeman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:08 pm

Captain: Gigi Buffon

Bench Players
ST - Antonio Di Natale
CDM/CM - John Obi Mikel
CB - Simon Kjær
LB - Henri Bedimo

Cricitcal game vs. cgf...Time for my team to roll out our primary and best squad...Biggest weakness cgf has is in the flanks and on the edge, and my biggest strength is on the wing.

A speed dynamic attack of Ribery, Mandzukic, Pedro and Sneijder cannot be managed by cgf's fullbacks. This also allows at times to bring Alba and Seamus up front.

Pogba and Hernanes can monitor the holding midfield and execute passes. Pogba is going to latch on Suarez.

If at all I go down, then we will sub out Pedro for Di Natale for the final third and if we go up, then we bring on Obi Mikel for Hernanes and Bedimo for Alba to close out the victory.
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#29 » by BUCKnation » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Same lineup again for MountainDrew.

I'm keeping the fullback out their to contain Navas and James. I think Benatia and Garay can handle Bony and Falcao both on the ground and in the air.

Once again I think the difference maker will be Aguero and Ibra. Both being skillful and a bit of change of pace, I don't think his defense can handle them. We will try to catch him on the counter, while Schneids and Luiz is up the pitch. Strootman can stay back though and that is where Oscar has to come in and be the difference maker. My top 3 will have to show up big in order to get goals.
MountainDrew
Veteran

Post#30 » by MountainDrew » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:45 am

Same players and formation against Bucknation.

Going to try to counter whenever we can, but I think in possesion the key will be Draxler. Can Toulalan handle him? His defense is basically playing 1 on 1 with his fullbacks defending James and Navas, while his Cbs have to deal with Bony and Falcao. If Draxler gets past Toulalan, which he's skilled and physical enough to do, he will have plenty of options to play a pass and create a chance, or shoot from distance.

We are definitely not going to go all out attacking, definitely prefer the counter. Candreva and Schurrle are capable wingplayers who provide width for Ibra and Aguero, 2 of my favourite strikers. James and Navas can't always go forward, they are needed defensively. I think on defense, Strootman and Schneiderlin are needed to take care of Oscar. If we can take away Oscar, his strikers will have a hard time getting the ball on the ground. And we can defend the crosses since my defenders are quite strong in the air.
Trust the Process
cgf
RealGM

Post#31 » by cgf » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:05 pm

With poeman's lineup we switch back to a 4 man backline, jantschke's done a great job on Ribery historically and though I'm a big fan of pogba's I see the midfield battle as a strength to my side in this match. With Firmino coming back on to play a free role off of Suarez-costa. This should be a tough match with a lot of physical battles and fouls, but I like how my backline matches up and with the numbers in midfield that bodes well for us as well. Plus I think sokratis and Howedes is a duo we should have a lot of success against, especially when pressing them as sokratis is poor with the ball and Howedes just alright. Hopefully my confidence turns out to be more appropriate this time around and we do manage to control the ball and burn them on the break as soon as we get it high up the pitch.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
truth18
RealGM

Post#32 » by truth18 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:22 pm

I really think Draxler is being overrated here (and I'm a huge fan of his)
YOU LOSE
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#33 » by Ted Lasso » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:10 pm

There will be a run-off between a cgf win and a poeman win.

BUCKnation has defeated MountainDrew.
BUCKnation
RealGM

Re: Forum Tournament Group Stage - Group D (Rd 5 Lineups!) 

Post#34 » by BUCKnation » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:46 pm

Same lineup again.

Truth's backline is his weakest area. I will definitely be able to exploit it down the wings and through the middle. One thing helping him in that aspect is his 2 DMs. If he plays defensive, I will look to play a little more attacking and force the action.

Overall, I don't think he can handle my offense.
cgf
RealGM

Re: Forum Tournament Group Stage - Group D (Rd 5 polls are u 

Post#35 » by cgf » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:01 pm

I really should've paid more attention and argued for ties in lieu of the runoffs, huh? At least this one I get, but that first matchup still puzzles me, that lineup is so naively "everybody charge forward!" that I can't even imagine our team not slicing them to pieces unless Firmino, Suarez and Costa all decided to have the worst games of their careers at once, and judging by last seasons form that wouldn't happen as firmino and suarez simply didn't have games that bad last year, and Costa had a handful at most. Oh well, still had my fun.

MountainDrew
Veteran

Post#36 » by MountainDrew » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:54 pm

http://lineupbuilder.com/2014/custom/?sk=411s

Same team as usual. Schneiderlin and Jagielka kind of double team Ribery and I think we'll be able to handle the rest. Falcao and Bony can definitely score on Sokratis and Howedes I think, and he has two offensive minded fullbacks so the counters should be very effective.
Trust the Process
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#37 » by poeman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:06 pm

Captain: Gigi Buffon

Bench Players
ST - Antonio Di Natale
CDM/CM - John Obi Mikel
CB - Simon Kjær
LB - Henri Bedimo

Same team going against MountainDrew...Again, my strengths are on the wing and MD has no fullbacks!...His CDM's are not going to catch up to Ribery, Pedro, Alba and Seamus all game.

Bony and Falcao are strikers but they are not strong in the passing game...Pogba will follow James all game but my defense has the core functions that they are good at, speed, tackling and heading so they can throw MD's squad off the ball and play possession all game 'Deep Wide on the Flanks'...

If at all we go down, I will roll out Di Natale and if we are up I will insert Bedimo for Alba and Obi Mikel for Hernanes to hold the fort
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#38 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:12 am

6 votes for a match in 40 hours!?
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#39 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:22 pm

BUCKnation has defeated truth18.