Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Re: Best Current World XI 

Post#21 » by Ted Lasso » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:33 pm

Man of Steel wrote:
Ted Lasso wrote:
Man of Steel wrote:Also, me counts 5 Real Madrid players.

That was a reference to Zidane's team.

Although you should both sport a megahomer's blush.

Meh. We're coming off a ridiculous win streak (something like 21 or 22 games straight). Could've probably swapped a CB out for one from another team and maybe put in a different attacker, but what's the point. Ronaldo's better than everyone on the left wing, Robben's been hella productive on the right, Hazard hasn't played as centrally so I went with the next best 10 this year in James, and Messi is Messi. Only real homer move was picking Casillas over Neuer, and like I said, he's on ridiculous form lately, if you'd been watching. Everyone aside from him justifies their placement in the XI with their year-round performance.

Attack-wise, this is the world XI I'd wanna field if I was coaching :dontknow:

The number of Real Madrid players you included isn't really a problem. It's entirely plausible for a club to have five reps in a World XI and not even be the best team in the world. This is similar to why i don't like basing NBA All-Star selections on teams' records.

On the other hand, picking Casillas over Neuer is madness. It's not like Iker is even the alternative in that debate. I'm glad he is no longer a disaster and all, but Chelsea alone have two superior goalkeepers.

I'm gonna give the team a go myself but the landscape has changed dramatically since we last did this sort of thing.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#22 » by Ted Lasso » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Neuer

Lahm, Silva, Terry, Rodriguez

Modric, Matic

Robben, Messi, Ronaldo

Suarez

------------------------------------------

I think?

I could throw Zabaleta, Schweinsteiger, Fabregas, Iniesta, and Ibrahimovic in there in various roles.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,231

Post#23 » by ardee » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:30 pm

De Gea
Lahm, Ramos, Terry, Alaba
Matic
Kroos-Isco
Sanchez-Aguero-Ronaldo

Isco may seem like the odd pick but with the forwards I have I think there's enough attacking potential, meaning I just want Isco as a handyman of sorts. Picking up lose balls, doing some pressing, cleaning up defensive errors, always being open to receice a pass... plus he's more than capable of taking over a game if need be.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
40yards
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#24 » by 40yards » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 pm

neuer

ivanovic benatia thiago silva alaba

kroos yaya toure

robben ronaldo messi

ibra
Maex
Senior
And1: 180

Post#25 » by Maex » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Man of Steel wrote:Meh. We're coming off a ridiculous win streak (something like 21 or 22 games straight). Could've probably swapped a CB out for one from another team and maybe put in a different attacker, but what's the point. Ronaldo's better than everyone on the left wing, Robben's been hella productive on the right, Hazard hasn't played as centrally so I went with the next best 10 this year in James, and Messi is Messi. Only real homer move was picking Casillas over Neuer, and like I said, he's on ridiculous form lately, if you'd been watching. Everyone aside from him justifies their placement in the XI with their year-round performance.

If you would have to decide, would you have to take Ramos or Pepe?
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,449

Post#26 » by Foye » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:50 pm

40yards wrote:neuer

ivanovic benatia thiago silva alaba

kroos yaya toure

robben ronaldo messi

ibra

Benatia actually looks like a human being next to King Boateng these days.
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#27 » by No_20 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Maex wrote:
Man of Steel wrote:Meh. We're coming off a ridiculous win streak (something like 21 or 22 games straight). Could've probably swapped a CB out for one from another team and maybe put in a different attacker, but what's the point. Ronaldo's better than everyone on the left wing, Robben's been hella productive on the right, Hazard hasn't played as centrally so I went with the next best 10 this year in James, and Messi is Messi. Only real homer move was picking Casillas over Neuer, and like I said, he's on ridiculous form lately, if you'd been watching. Everyone aside from him justifies their placement in the XI with their year-round performance.

If you would have to decide, would you have to take Ramos or Pepe?

Ramos.

He scores big goals as we saw last year.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Maex
Senior

Post#28 » by Maex » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:24 pm

No_20 wrote:He scores big goals as we saw last year.

That is more flashy for sure, but I am not so sure, if that is what I am looking for at a CB.
No_20
Veteran

Post#29 » by No_20 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:27 pm

Maex wrote:
No_20 wrote:He scores big goals as we saw last year.

That is more flashy for sure, but I am not so sure, if that is what I am looking for at a CB.

Flashy and flashy.

When you do it twice as he did against you guys + Final, then it is something you want from a CB.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Maex
Senior

Post#30 » by Maex » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:29 pm

But that is gone and I am not sure if a lot of coaches would put priority on goals, when choosing the better CB. e.g. van Buyten would have been Bayern's best CB by far.
No_20
Veteran

Post#31 » by No_20 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:31 pm

Maex wrote:But that is gone and I am not sure if a lot of coaches would put priority on goals, when choosing the better CB. e.g. van Buyten would have been Bayern's best CB by far.

I think he has 50 goals for Real Madrid.

It's a massive bonus if your CB is a threat on Set pieces as well.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#32 » by Det the Threat » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:35 am

Honestly guys. Benatia, Terry etc. at cb?
The best cb right now is Jerome Boateng.

I don't like Bayern but the guy's made himself into a great reducing his mental lapses and finally putting all the tools together.
He's tall, physical, fast and yet technically sound. His passes with either foot over at least 30 meters right into the foot of the teammate are a joy to watch and are just the icing on the cake.
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant
And1: 548

Post#33 » by Man of Steel » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:50 pm

Maex wrote:
Man of Steel wrote:If you would have to decide, would you have to take Ramos or Pepe?

Pepe's a slightly better defender but I'd probably put Ramos in for the added bonus of what he did in the final.

Edit: just to add to that, as much of a prick as Ramos must seem to anyone but Real Madrid fans ( :lol: at that misquote from Ramos about Real Madrid being God's team), he's a very vocal leader in the defense, something guys like Pepe need next to them.
HALA MADRID || GO LEAFS GO || LET'S GO RAPTORS
Swift3
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#34 » by Swift3 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:18 am

De Gea; Lahm, Boateng, Silva, Alaba; Modric, Alonso, Fabregas; Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#35 » by DD12 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Courtois; Ivanovic, Thiago Silva, Sergio Ramos, Alaba; Matuidi,Yaya Toure, Pogba; Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic
No_20
Veteran

Post#36 » by No_20 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:27 pm

How would your XI look today?

(3-4-3)

Neuer
Boateng - Pique - Alaba
Müller - Kroos - Busquets - Pogba
Messi - Suarez - Neymar
Andre3822
Bench Warmer
And1: 424

Post#37 » by Andre3822 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:14 am

No_20 wrote:How would your XI look today?

(3-4-3)

Neuer
Boateng - Pique - Alaba
Müller - Kroos - Busquets - Pogba
Messi - Suarez - Neymar

I love it, except I would put Iniesta instead of Kroos and replace Pique with either Silva or Kompany.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,612

Post#38 » by Baphomet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Kompany has scarcely played this season and has been just okay when he has, not deserving of a spot imo.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#39 » by Next Coming » Fri Apr 1, 2016 1:06 am

Baphomet wrote:Kompany has scarcely played this season and has been just okay when he has, not deserving of a spot imo.

Man said Kompany. I'm shocked.
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#40 » by DD12 » Fri Apr 1, 2016 3:17 am

Who put kompany?

Return to The General Soccer Board