Expanding the Soccer Forum? (Now With Link)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Re: Expanding the Soccer Forum? 

Post#21 » by kdawg32086 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:45 am

I'm with the consensus against the idea. Nothing personal, but we expanded the NFL and MLB forums way too quickly and I don't want to see the soccer forum turn into that. We're getting to the point where expansion makes sense...we're just not there yet.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,624

Post#22 » by Baphomet » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:14 am

In some ways, I support the idea that Earl's put forward. I actually brought this up with Howard a little while ago, but I think having an international football subforum makes by far the most sense if we do intend to expand this board. Keep the club stuff in the 'General' board as we do now, but have national club threads there (German thread, Team USA thread), WC/Euro/ACON/Copa America qualifiers there, and actual tournament threads. I remember during the madness of the World Cup activity that it was quite hard to discuss other things such as transfers and league news, because the World Cup threads littered the first page or two and other threads quickly got lost.

I agree with the consensus that the MLS isn't big enough on RealGM to warrant more forums, though. I think the status quo with club threads should remain too, in the sense that they're kept for clubs that have large enough followings to keep them fairly active (Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Man United, Madrid, etc.)

Oh, and free GMgoran. That's an automatic ticket to more activity. :D
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#23 » by truth18 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:23 am

^infraction he had was on a different board so no chance at that :(. Gmgoran: never forget.
YOU LOSE
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#24 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:30 am

Too many of you guys just fear change I think.

Comparing a two forum expansion to the 30 team forum expansions of the NHL & NFL isn't fair in my opinion. We would be making a slight jump to hopefully increase viewership, no one is talking about a massive expansion with multiple forums.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:37 am

Also looking at post count alone, we are already bigger than the whole NHL area, so expansion is justified.

Three forums will be just as easy to navigate, but will make us look much bigger.
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#26 » by No_20 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:38 am

I think the majority of posters here are Germans.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#27 » by kdawg32086 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:57 am

truth18 wrote:^infraction he had was on a different board so no chance at that :(. Gmgoran: never forget.

It was on here...but the answer is still no. :wink:
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#28 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:08 am

Think there are enough crickets on this board and I like the 1-stop shopping.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,215

Post#29 » by J-Mezzy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:46 am

I understand and somewhat agree with the concerns, but you can count me in Oozy. Not just to voice my opinion, but to try to support any expansion forums. I'll try to be as active as can be and bring some posters from the magic board
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,943

Post#30 » by BUCKnation » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:00 am

I like how it is set up now. If there was a way to organize it all on one page that would be nice, I really don't want to have to search and move to different forums to find certain things that I may only check once in awhile. I keep this forum and 3 others open all the time and rarely check anything else.

Other than the NBA forums, the others only have a couple of teams that are active. I don't really think this would be any different.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#31 » by EArl » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:05 am

Baphomet wrote:In some ways, I support the idea that Earl's put forward. I actually brought this up with Howard a little while ago, but I think having an international football subforum makes by far the most sense if we do intend to expand this board. Keep the club stuff in the 'General' board as we do now, but have national club threads there (German thread, Team USA thread), WC/Euro/ACON/Copa America qualifiers there, and actual tournament threads. I remember during the madness of the World Cup activity that it was quite hard to discuss other things such as transfers and league news, because the World Cup threads littered the first page or two and other threads quickly got lost.

I agree with the consensus that the MLS isn't big enough on RealGM to warrant more forums, though. I think the status quo with club threads should remain too, in the sense that they're kept for clubs that have large enough followings to keep them fairly active (Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Man United, Madrid, etc.)

Oh, and free GMgoran. That's an automatic ticket to more activity. :D

I think thats the biggest that we can expand right now. My biggest grief would be the inactivity on the international football board in the off season, but we can add some extra things to make it interesting. I am glad that we are talking about expansion. This means that we are headed in the right direction.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#32 » by J-Mezzy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:09 am

As long as there is a Colombia thread, I can bring a bunch of people lol. There might be some Spanish speaking though
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,267

Post#33 » by Shaazzam » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:00 am

LittleOzzy wrote:Also looking at post count alone, we are already bigger than the whole NHL area, so expansion is justified.

Three forums will be just as easy to navigate, but will make us look much bigger.

It doesn't mean expansion is justified, it means that going full bore with the NHL was dumb.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#34 » by and1GS » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:37 am

I don't think it makes any sense to expand as outlined. And no, I'm not afraid of change. I am the change I wish to see in the world. Anyways, on an old forum I posted on we made a separate section during World Cup time, I think just having a International and Club forum would accomplish the same thing since we have people posting about the Confed Cup, Euros or a very specific South American team quite often. If that division doesn't go down though I won't be too upset, I'm cool with how it is. Activity has serious ebbs and flows that I don't see on my basketball board out here.

Oh and free GMGoran.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#35 » by NBAfan3024 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:40 am

I would be in favour
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#36 » by Foye » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:00 am

I think it would make more sense to divide this board into club and national team subtopics but whatever count me in.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#37 » by El Turco » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:08 am

Some sorta player comparison board might be worthwhile. Those rankings threads seem to get the best out of people. In terms of leagues only bundesliga and epl boards have a chance at survival.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#38 » by J-Mezzy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:03 pm

I like this idea of international forum. It's no secret that I'm a junkie for international futbol.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:24 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:I like this idea of international forum. It's no secret that I'm a junkie for international futbol.

Removing the EPL & MLS threads from the general board will give a lot more room to international football.

It will also give more room to other leagues that get pushed off the first page too often.

I have plenty of ideas to keep the General Board active, given the chance with expansion.
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Expanding the Soccer Forum? 

Post#40 » by DD12 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:35 pm

kdawg32086 wrote:
truth18 wrote:^infraction he had was on a different board so no chance at that :(. Gmgoran: never forget.

It was on here...but the answer is still no. :wink:

He was popular and getting a lot attention. I hope he'll be back.

Return to The General Soccer Board