Best team you've seen?

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,231

Re: Best team you've seen? 

Post#21 » by ardee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:54 am

beach house wrote:i've been watching soccer since the mid 90s and the best team is impossible to say

the most overachieving team i've ever seen was 2009-10 internazionale

least stacked team to ever complete a treble

shame the ownership was even cheaper than SSOL phoenix suns sarver

That team was underrated stacked.

Julio Cesar was the best GK in the world that year. Maicon easily the best right back, Lucio the best center back.

Cambiasso is basically Xabi Alonso with better defense and slightly worse passing.

Sneijder should have won the Ballon D'Or.

Milito scored 30 goals in 50 games and scored in every CL knockout tie. The fact that Maradona didn't take him to SA was a joke, he should've been leading the line with Messi :banghead:

Some real quality on that team, and Mourinho brought it all out.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#22 » by Ted Lasso » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:49 am

No_20 wrote:2002 Brazil were overrated.

Great on paper, but they played very defensive Scolari-football. They were lucky that Seaman and Kahn made some horrible mistakes and IIRC Turkey and Belgium played them close in the Knock out stages as well.

Belgium had a perfectly legal goal chalked off as well.
Maex
Senior
And1: 180

Post#23 » by Maex » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:19 pm

Live: Bayern Munich 12/13
TV: Barcelona 10/11
beach house
Senior
And1: 1,044

Post#24 » by beach house » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:17 pm

ardee wrote:
beach house wrote:i've been watching soccer since the mid 90s and the best team is impossible to say

the most overachieving team i've ever seen was 2009-10 internazionale

least stacked team to ever complete a treble

shame the ownership was even cheaper than SSOL phoenix suns sarver

That team was underrated stacked.

Julio Cesar was the best GK in the world that year. Maicon easily the best right back, Lucio the best center back.

Cambiasso is basically Xabi Alonso with better defense and slightly worse passing.

Sneijder should have won the Ballon D'Or.

Milito scored 30 goals in 50 games and scored in every CL knockout tie. The fact that Maradona didn't take him to SA was a joke, he should've been leading the line with Messi :banghead:

Some real quality on that team, and Mourinho brought it all out.

like i said most of those guys where way overperforming relative to their talent

julio was insane, but he fell back down to earth really quickly (see 2010 world cup)
i disagree lucio as best cb
i dont think cambiasso was anywhere near xabi's league

sneijder was the best player in all of soccer that year, but cmon its not like he plays at messi/cr7 level year in year out

milito was insanely clutch, but he too was definitely feeding off the team's momentum

maicon is probably my favorite player of all time and i agree he was best rb at the time, but he was never an excellent defender

the team was definitely talented but nowhere near as stacked as last year's bayer, even current barcelona, etc
if they still had ibrahimovic on top of everyone else then maybe

it just seemed everyone was playing way above their pay grade
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#25 » by El Turco » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Great on paper, but they played very defensive Scolari-football. They were lucky that Seaman and Kahn made some horrible mistakes and IIRC Turkey and Belgium played them close in the Knock out stages as well.

they were lucky because they didnt face a quality challenger, they were easily better germany and england though and would have won with or without keeper mistakes. germany might not even be a top 5 team in that world cup.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,231

Post#26 » by ardee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:13 pm

2012 Madrid is not talked about enough.

They just destroyed teams on the counter.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,659

Post#27 » by cgf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:38 pm

El Turco wrote:

they were lucky because they didnt face a quality challenger, they were easily better germany and england though and would have won with or without keeper mistakes. germany might not even be a top 5 team in that world cup.

Kahn alone was a top 5 team in that world cup. No goalie has played at the level Ollie was in at that WC since.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
youngtea
Sixth Man
And1: 1,045

Post#28 » by youngtea » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:53 pm

ardee wrote:2012 Madrid is not talked about enough.

They just destroyed teams on the counter.

Watched them live at Camp Nou. Casillas that season was at his best until the fight with Mou that offseason.
youngtea
Sixth Man
And1: 1,045

Post#29 » by youngtea » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:57 pm

I don't know how you would consider that team overrated. They have questionably 3-4 players that were superstars of all-time. Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos and Rivaldo. This does not include Kaka and Cafu. Sure they would have trouble in the worldcup, but every team that has ever won it has. Even Spain lost to Switzerland.
cgf
RealGM

Post#30 » by cgf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:02 pm

That's probably why they're over-rated. Kaka wasn't yet a star, but Cafu, Roberto Carlos and that attacking trident where insanely talented, but the team struggled a lot more than that talent should've at both the WC and before it.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#31 » by No_20 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:36 pm

El Turco wrote:

Ballack was suspended for the final as well. Best outfield player(after Ronaldo) that tournament.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
TheChosen
Junior
And1: 51

Post#32 » by TheChosen » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:55 pm

2013 Bayern , damn that was a pleasure. Barca 08/12 and Spain 08-12. Germany 72. Brazil 62/70/2002.
"Hard work beats talent,when talent fails to work hard." - Kevin Durant
cgf
RealGM

Post#33 » by cgf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:23 am

That 72 squad has had profound impacts on my thoughts about this sport and tactical theories. It's why I love brilliant central midfield maestros who have tried, and failed, to reach Netzer's level (Ilkay, Veratti, Xavi, Pirlo amongst recent examples); why I'm a firm believer in the importance of skilled and mobile CBs who can control matches with the ball on their foot like the kaiser would (see my love for Hummels/Schar/Laporte/Bonucci/Ginter's potential); and why all of my favorite strikers have had a brilliant sense for moving off of the ball and pulling CBs out of position with their runs into wide areas/in from wide areas, as the little fat mueller used to when our NT adopted and improved on Total Football and Gerd became one of the precursors to the false-nine wave that we saw arise while scoring at simply absurd rates. If drink and the DFB hadn't done him in it would be hard for me to not give him a spot in my top 5 despite Netzer being my favorite player ever and the biggest impact maker during that title run to my eyes.

It's amused me how much that barca side that dominated everything and the football they inspired took from the Dutch/Germany NTs of the early 70s...at least when it came to the things they did with the ball. That pressing that Pep added to the german-dutch total football was a gamechanger though; cause ain't no way you could press like teams do now with the sports medicine and training that existed back then.

BJGOAT3
Rookie
And1: 362

Post#34 » by BJGOAT3 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Not necessarily the best but the most enjoyable team to watch was 05-07 Barcelona for me.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#35 » by Higga » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Pep's Barca teams. Could do it all. Dominant on all fronts.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#36 » by lukekarts » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Pep's Barcelona is the easy choice for me.

I was also looking back at the early 00's Juventus, I remember thinking they were underachievers. How they didn't win with a lineup consisting of Van der Sar, Zambrotta, Ferrara, Montero, Thuram, Davids, Zidane, Del Piero, Trezeguet, Pipo...

It does kinda support my theory that Nedved > Zidane, though.
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
Canada_7
General Manager
And1: 2,486

Post#37 » by Canada_7 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:58 am

Those early to mid 2000 Arsenal teams played some pretty football, but boy were The Invincibles a beauty to watch. Not the best team ever, but great to watch.

Watching Guardiola's Barcelona's teams just hold onto the ball and cut other teams' defense apart like Swiss cheese was just unbelievable.
tkbchimyjr18
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#38 » by tkbchimyjr18 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:44 am

Pep's Barcelona, Mou's Madrid in 2012 (Mou will never have a team that good at Chelsea), Heynckes Bayern in 2013
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Re: Best team you've seen? 

Post#39 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:16 am

lukekarts wrote: Van der Sar, Zambrotta, Ferrara, Montero, Thuram, Davids, Zidane, Del Piero, Trezeguet, Pipo...

Wow

Really, they didn't win with that team ?

One of the best ever on paper.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Re: Re: Best team you've seen? 

Post#40 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:47 am

mercgold3 wrote:
lukekarts wrote: Van der Sar, Zambrotta, Ferrara, Montero, Thuram, Davids, Zidane, Del Piero, Trezeguet, Pipo...

Wow

Really, they didn't win with that team ?

One of the best ever on paper.

Well, van der Sar was woefully poor for them and Thuram never actually played alongside Zidane at Juventus. But the chief reason is they were coached by Carlo Ancelotti, who is a chronic underachiever domestically.

Return to The General Soccer Board