Sepp Blatter to step down

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Re: Sepp Blatter to step down 

Post#41 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jun 3, 2015 8:48 pm

Yeah, Russia is fine, even if there were shady dealings behind the scenes. Qatar is in a whole different league when it comes to being unsuitable hosts.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#42 » by Baphomet » Wed Jun 3, 2015 9:19 pm

Russia is far from fine, the only context in which they can be considered as such is in comparison to Qatar. If you cast your minds back to the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014, there were hundreds of worker deaths related to the construction there too. Their human rights record is also incredibly appalling, particularly pertaining to issues such as freedom of expression, sexual orientation and gender identity. It's no place for the world game. It's true that they have a proper football infrastructure to actually host a satisfactory World Cup tournament, but I would much rather see it played elsewhere.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,910

Post#43 » by cgf » Wed Jun 3, 2015 9:28 pm

Baphomet wrote:Russia is far from fine, the only context in which they can be considered as such is in comparison to Qatar. If you cast your minds back to the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014, there were hundreds of worker deaths related to the construction there too. Their human rights record is also incredibly appalling, particularly pertaining to issues such as freedom of expression, sexual orientation and gender identity. It's no place for the world game. It's true that they have a proper football infrastructure to actually host a satisfactory World Cup tournament, but I would rather see it played elsewhere.

Which puts Russia right in line with Brazil and South Africa...and maybe not even in the bottom half for most undemocratic and bigoted hosts.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#44 » by El Turco » Wed Jun 3, 2015 9:44 pm

and america is responsible for more civilian deaths than any other country past 10 years, it is all about perception. you are going to find it hard to find a capable country that has their hands completely clean, and "we are a lesser piece of sh*t" is not exactly glowing case to take away the cup imo.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#45 » by Baphomet » Wed Jun 3, 2015 9:45 pm

I don't disagree at all. I absolutely felt the same way about South Africa hosting the World Cup.

Russia may be reasonable hosts from a purely footballing perspective, but we should not accept it on account of there being equally bad or worse hosts in the past. Football and its governing bodies must be panoptic of surrounding issues to move forward.

In my opinion, both the 2018 and 2022 World Cups should be reallocated, particularly in light of the current revelations. I don't see it happening, but that's my hope.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#46 » by J-Mezzy » Wed Jun 3, 2015 10:23 pm

2018 might be close, but 2022 is definitely doable. I'm down for England or U.S
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#47 » by EArl » Wed Jun 3, 2015 11:19 pm

NEW YORK -- Former FIFA executive committee member Chuck Blazer told a U.S. federal judge that he and others on the governing body's ruling panel agreed to receive bribes in the votes for the hosts of the 1998 and 2010 World Cups.

Prosecutors unsealed a 40-page transcript Wednesday of the hearing in U.S. District Court on Nov. 25, 2013, when Blazer pleaded guilty to racketeering and other charges.

Blazer, in admitting 10 counts of illegal conduct, told the court of his conduct surrounding the vote that made South Africa the first nation on that continent to host football's premier event

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/sto ... ing-bribes
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
EArl
RealGM

Post#48 » by EArl » Mon Jun 8, 2015 11:58 am

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/sto ... ent-report

Looks like Blatter has been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

CAPE TOWN, South Africa -- A 2007 email shows FIFA President Sepp Blatter and then-South African President Thabo Mbeki held "discussions" over $10 million that ultimately went to allegedly corrupt football executives as payback for supporting the country's World Cup bid, a newspaper claimed Sunday.

South Africa's Sunday Times reported that the email from FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke to the South African government asks when the $10 million will be transferred.

The newspaper said that in the email, which was not published, Valcke wrote that the $10 million was "based on discussions between FIFA and the South African government, and also between our President [Blatter] and President Thabo Mbeki."
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,111

Post#49 » by magik9113 » Mon Jun 8, 2015 10:40 pm

I'm still waiting for the WC 2002 news to surface. Sure it sucks that the right to host the tournament has been bought and all that, but FIFA actually fixing the results of WC matches is even worse.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#50 » by Hero » Tue Jun 9, 2015 10:21 pm

Sepp Blatter and Jack Warner are such villains. About time Blatter stepped down. What a mess FIFA has become.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,910

Post#51 » by cgf » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:17 am

FIFA hasn't become anything. This is what FIFA has always been. Long before blaster it was this way, and long after he leaves it'll remain. This is FIFA.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
EArl
RealGM

Post#52 » by EArl » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:08 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:What a world we live in.

They must have something on him, and he knows it.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LittleOzz/status/605778856595701760[/tweet]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXyWCQeLxrc#t=63[/youtube]
EArl
RealGM

Post#53 » by EArl » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:14 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji6pj2PX-Io[/youtube]
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

AW: Sepp Blatter to step down 

Post#54 » by Foye » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:04 pm

He already thinks about retiring from his not yet realized retirement.

Smh.

Return to The General Soccer Board