2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (AFC)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (AFC) 

Post#21 » by Matty » Sat Sep 3, 2016 8:58 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:
Foye wrote:
Arda K wrote:israel was expelled from afc, uefa is the next logical choice. i believe they were trying to qualify from ocenia federation at some point.

kazakhstan is the one that makes no sense, i bet lot of money exchanged behind the scenes during their move.

Turkey makes no sense either. Nobody minds because they can not field a relevant squad, though.

Turkey has part of their territory in europe.
Not to mention deep links into european history, they had a lot of territory in romania and etc not to mention for a good while they were half the capital for the freakin Roman empire.........

True that Erdogan is making it difficult to relate to them as european........but yet.

If the Euros was about a connected history then North Africans would also be apart of it as they relate more to Euro-Mediterraneans than the rest of Africa, but they don't. You play in the continent you're in. Turkey makes sense. Armenia and Azerbaijan on the other hand don't.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#22 » by Foye » Sat Sep 3, 2016 9:18 pm

Matty wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:
Foye wrote:
Turkey makes no sense either. Nobody minds because they can not field a relevant squad, though.

Not to mention deep links into european history, they had a lot of territory in romania and etc not to mention for a good while they were half the capital for the freakin Roman empire.........

True that Erdogan is making it difficult to relate to them as european........but yet.

If the Euros was about a connected history then North Africans would also be apart of it as they relate more to Euro-Mediterraneans than the rest of Africa, but they don't. You play in the continent you're in. Turkey makes sense. Armenia and Azerbaijan on the other hand don't.

About 3% of Turkey's landmass are considered to be on the European continent by geographers. Not sure how that implies it makes sense to include them into UEFA.
Might as well include Armenia, Israel, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan or - like they do in Eurovision Song Contest - Australia. Not much of a difference.
Matty
General Manager

Post#23 » by Matty » Sat Sep 3, 2016 9:59 pm

Foye wrote:
Matty wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:

About 3% of Turkey's landmass are considered to be on the European continent by geographers. Not sure how that implies it makes sense to include them into UEFA.
Might as well include Armenia, Israel, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan or - like they do in Eurovision Song Contest - Australia. Not much of a difference.

If it was about landmass Russia wouldn't be in the Euros either. Turkey, Israel, and Kazakhstan all make sense because they actually have large Slavic populations which by Euro standards, would make them European. And of course they border European nations too so that helps.

Armenia doesn't share a border with anybody from Europe and aren't ethnically Slavic to begin with. I don't even think they use the Latin script. Nothing remotely European there.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: AW: RE: Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (AFC) 

Post#24 » by HIF » Mon Sep 5, 2016 1:29 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:
Foye wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:i always wondered how they decide wich teams go in in uefa and wich teams go on afc.
On what basis
Why georgia on uefa and uzbekistan in afc.

Why israel in uefa and Jordan in afc.

I think the main reason why Israel play in Uefa is that nobody from middle east likes them and the games could enhance political conflicts. Kinda like Russia/Ukraine who are not allowed to play against each other.

Well
Nobody likes the French but they dont go play in african qualyfiers
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Most of the African footballers are French. :wink:
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#25 » by HIF » Mon Sep 5, 2016 1:32 pm

Matty wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:
Foye wrote:

Nearly every African country was part of a European Superpower at sometime.

And the whole of the Americas and Australasia

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#26 » by El Turco » Mon Sep 5, 2016 3:48 pm

HIF wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:
Foye wrote:
I think the main reason why Israel play in Uefa is that nobody from middle east likes them and the games could enhance political conflicts. Kinda like Russia/Ukraine who are not allowed to play against each other.

Well

other way around, most of the french national team are african
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
HIF
RealGM

Post#27 » by HIF » Mon Sep 5, 2016 3:55 pm

Arda K wrote:
HIF wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:

Well

other way around, most of the french national team are african

I think if you check nearly all of the French first team were born in France. It's their parents or grandparents who were born in old colonial countries.

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#28 » by El Turco » Mon Sep 5, 2016 4:00 pm

Yeah they didnt get their impeccable athleticism eating baguettes
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Matty
General Manager

Post#29 » by Matty » Mon Sep 5, 2016 9:43 pm

And half of them are originally from Senegal. One of those West African countries would have been a world cup winner by now if they had the money to retain all their players.

Imagine if Ghana had both Boetangs, Welbeck, Wijnaldum, Balotelli, etc. on top of Muntari, the Ayews, etc. That wouldn't be world beaters but they'd certainly make some noise.
HIF
RealGM

Post#30 » by HIF » Tue Sep 6, 2016 7:21 am

Algeria next world cup.

metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,714

Post#31 » by metafisical » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Building on my post from the first page, the most important and successful football federation in the world, AFC (even more important and succcessful than UEFA and CONMEBOL), just had their next series of matches for its 3rd round.

Japan beat Saudi Arabia, South Korea beat Uzbekistan, China and Qatar tied, Thailand and Australia tied, Syria and Iran tied, and UAE beat Iraq.

Group A
Iran - 11 pts
South Korea - 10 pts
Uzbekistan - 9 pts
Syria - 5 pts
Qatar - 4 pts
China - 2 pts

Group B
Saudi Arabia - 10 pts
Japan - 10 pts
Australia - 9 pts
UAE - 9 pts
Iraq - 3 pts
Thailand - 1 pt

The next series of matches is next March.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
metafisical
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by metafisical » Tue Sep 5, 2017 7:31 pm

The most important and successful football federation, AFC, just had its final series of matches.

Iran and Japan have already booked their tickets to the World Cup. South Korea and now Saudi Arabia joins them.

Syria and Australia will have a playoff to see who faces the fourth place CONCACAF team.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
metafisical
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by metafisical » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Australia beats Honduras 3-1. Australia advances to the World Cup.

Return to The General Soccer Board