2015-16 UEFA Europa League

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Re: 2015-16 UEFA Europa League 

Post#101 » by El Turco » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:39 am

i don't think last year is indicative of his quality either, he was very lucky at times last year. he is somewhere in between, not as bad as he has been this year but not as good as he was last year.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,619

Post#102 » by Baphomet » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:48 am

El Turco wrote:i don't think last year is indicative of his quality either, he was very lucky at times last year. he is somewhere in between, not as bad as he has been this year but not as good as he was last year.

I agree with this assessment. To be fair to Kane, it's not exactly his fault that he scored 31 goals last season, but it probably set the bar too high, too soon.

I've watched every game Kane's ever played for Spurs, and some from his loan spells. He's always been a hard working player with good hold-up ability, and I defended him and his ability when he was a running joke even among Spurs fans. What he needs right now is some striking competition up top and a fire to be lit underneath him. Right now it doesn't matter how badly he plays, he won't be dropped. I have no faith in us signing anyone in January, either. Could be a long season for him.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,523

Post#103 » by Andi Obst » Thu Nov 5, 2015 8:11 pm

Schalke :lol:
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,727

Post#104 » by cgf » Thu Nov 5, 2015 8:24 pm

Pretty ball from Ayhan to LeGo, but that shouldn't be a penalty.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by Baphomet » Thu Nov 5, 2015 8:35 pm

Brilliant goal from Kane. So glad to see him regain his confidence.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#106 » by Baphomet » Thu Nov 5, 2015 9:41 pm

Anderlecht look a good side to me. Good pace on the flanks, a fairly solid defence.

It's been a fun open game.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,092

Post#107 » by magik9113 » Thu Nov 5, 2015 9:48 pm

great goal by Tottenham
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by Baphomet » Thu Nov 5, 2015 9:51 pm

Moussa Dembele, he scores when he wants
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#109 » by DD12 » Thu Nov 5, 2015 9:59 pm

what a horrible player son is. Another fluke from Bundesliga where average attacking players can have high statistics.

As soon as he came into the game, Anderlecht took the game over. He probably has minus football iq. Not even 0. It must be minus.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Baphomet » Thu Nov 5, 2015 10:06 pm

DD12 wrote:what a horrible player son is. Another fluke from Bundesliga where average attacking players can have high statistics.

As soon as he came into the game, Anderlecht took the game over. He probably has minus football iq. Not even 0. It must be minus.

What on earth are you even talking about? He started the move, and then set up the goal that won us the game.

I guess it's also Son's fault that Vertonghen completely misread the Anderlecht cross.
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#111 » by DD12 » Thu Nov 5, 2015 10:12 pm

Baphomet wrote:
DD12 wrote:what a horrible player son is. Another fluke from Bundesliga where average attacking players can have high statistics.

What on earth are you even talking about? He started the move, and then set up the goal that won us the game.

I guess it's also Son's fault that Vertonghen completely misread the Anderlecht cross.

Set up the goal? What? he just push the ball that's it. It's not like he made a wonderful assist on the goal.

As soon as he got into the game, Anderlecht started playing much better. It was obvious that the goal was coming because after Son, the game turned into an one sided game. Even after 1-1, Anderlecht were a better side but Tottenham won the game luckily by Dembele's shot.

Son has son football iq problems for sure. He is horrible at making decisions, he is not fast, he is not a great dribbler, he can't get past the defenders. I have no idea why and how Spurs paid 30 mil for this awful player.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Baphomet » Thu Nov 5, 2015 10:26 pm

DD12 wrote:Set up the goal? What? he just push the ball that's it. It's not like he made a wonderful assist on the goal.

As soon as he got into the game, Anderlecht started playing much better. It was obvious that the goal was coming because after Son, the game turned into an one sided game. Even after 1-1, Anderlecht were a better side but Tottenham won the game luckily by Dembele's shot.

Son has son football iq problems for sure. He is horrible at making decisions, he is not fast, he is not a great dribbler, he can't get past the defenders. I have no idea why and how Spurs paid 30 mil for this awful player.

I don't know where to start with this. I'm not sure how you can say in earnest that an attacking player was responsible for Anderlecht getting back into the game. He lost possession of the ball once or twice, but as far as I can remember, neither resulted in a clear Anderlecht chance. I can say for certain that Anderlecht would've had that same pressure regardless of whether Son was brought on or not. The inability to close out a tight game is one of Spurs' biggest weaknesses, and it's happened all season.

Watch the goal again. Son made the initial long ball towards Onomah on the left flank to start the attack, then busted a gut to get forward into the box to eventually set up Dembele. The assist itself wasn't spectacular but it was good play to be in position to make that assist. He's not fast? Pace is easily one of his best assets. But of course you'd know that if you weren't just blindly hating on Bundesliga players as you always do.

We also paid 18m, not 30.
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#113 » by DD12 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 12:51 am

No. Spurs paid 30 million euro for this awful player. Plain simple. His worth might be somewhere around 6-7 million, I get that. But Spurs paid 30 million to this dude. I guess you guys don't know what kinda players go for 30 mil.
cgf
RealGM

Post#114 » by cgf » Fri Nov 6, 2015 1:18 am

Baphomet wrote:Moussa Dembele, he scores when he wants

I'm glad that he's gotten back into form for you, such an odd but entertaining player.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM

Post#115 » by cgf » Fri Nov 6, 2015 1:26 am

Son can be an absolute idiot, but his pace is far from a weakness; plus he works hard, is a strong dribbler when he has space on the counter, and can put the ball into the net.

That fee is too high for him, but he's a marketting superstar in Korea and brings those Korean investors. So that fee is more like ~20M for a comparable player without the korean-superstar factor, which isn't bad at all. A tick to high for my liking, but reasonable given where the market is.

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,453

Re: AW: RE: Re: 2015-16 UEFA Europa League 

Post#116 » by Foye » Fri Nov 6, 2015 12:01 pm

Baphomet wrote:
DD12 wrote:Set up the goal? What? he just push the ball that's it. It's not like he made a wonderful assist on the goal.

I don't know where to start with this. I'm not sure how you can say in earnest that an attacking player was responsible for Anderlecht getting back into the game. He lost possession of the ball once or twice, but as far as I can remember, neither resulted in a clear Anderlecht chance. I can say for certain that Anderlecht would've had that same pressure regardless of whether Son was brought on or not. The inability to close out a tight game is one of Spurs' biggest weaknesses, and it's happened all season.

Watch the goal again. Son made the initial long ball towards Onomah on the left flank to start the attack, then busted a gut to get forward into the box to eventually set up Dembele. The assist itself wasn't spectacular but it was good play to be in position to make that assist. He's not fast? Pace is easily one of his best assets. But of course you'd know that if you weren't just blindly hating on Bundesliga players as you always do.

We also paid 18m, not 30.

LMAO so true. He just blindly hates every Bundesliga player except for Calhanoglu. He is the GOAT despite set pieces and long shots being his only top skills.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using RealGM Forums mobile app
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#117 » by DD12 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 12:51 pm

Calhanoglu is the best #10 in the world. He'll probably play for Barca or something soon.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by Baphomet » Fri Nov 6, 2015 1:40 pm

DD12 wrote:No. Spurs paid 30 million euro for this awful player. Plain simple. His worth might be somewhere around 6-7 million, I get that. But Spurs paid 30 million to this dude. I guess you guys don't know what kinda players go for 30 mil.

I'm used to dealing with transfer fees in pounds sterling rather than dirty commie Euros. Forgive my transgression. :D

This is the EPL we're talking about, by the way. Players like Jordan Henderson and Callum Chambers go for as much as £18m because our market is so ****. Son has proven a lot more than players like that ever did. I don't exactly approve of the fee inflation, but you have to play the hand you're dealt.
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#119 » by DD12 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 2:52 pm

That's right if you are getting a player from EPL. However, in this case, you are buying someone from Bundesliga. When Spurs was interested in him, he had already left the team and said he doesn't want to play for the club anymore. 30 mil was extremely unnecessary given the fact that the player already burned the bridges to get out. Spurs should have used this on their favour and get him a lot cheaper. In addition to that Spurs really did not need someone like him in fact if they needed someone like him, there are tons of them out there much cheaper than what Spurs paid him.

Overall, his worth is nowhere 30 mil. He is not a good player. Spurs could have found someone much better than him at a reasonable price.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by Baphomet » Fri Nov 6, 2015 3:02 pm

The effect is more pronounced when it's clubs within the EPL dealing with each other, but foreign clubs also hike up the asking price when EPL clubs make enquiries. They're well aware of how the TV deals have financially strengthened the Premier League. It makes sense for them to get the maximum profit for their asset.

For what it's worth I also think Son's been quite good from what he's shown in limited appearances so far (due to injury). We've also won all but one game he's played in.

Return to The General Soccer Board