2016–17 UEFA Europa League

Moderators: kdawg32086, LittleOzzy, Baphomet

The_Brecht
Junior
Posts: 395
And1: 96
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
 

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#141 » by The_Brecht » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 am

I want Shalke, Ajax or Celta.
In that order.
West-Flemish for behinners:

    - Dust means thirsty.
User avatar
HIF
RealGM
Posts: 11,850
And1: 3,824
Joined: Mar 31, 2004
Location: France
         

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#142 » by HIF » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 am

Losing Pogba to injury will probably help Manchester.
No more talk about Family Riles. Just do you job! :noway:

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
User avatar
magik9113
General Manager
Posts: 8,460
And1: 602
Joined: Feb 03, 2006
       

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#143 » by magik9113 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Anderlecht (Bel)-Manchester United (Ing)
Celta Vigo (Spa)-Genk (Bel)
Ajax (Ola)-Schalke (Ger)
Lione (Fra)-Besiktas (Tur)

United's tournament for the taking
Image
User avatar
Baphomet
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,374
And1: 2,737
Joined: Dec 03, 2008
Location: UK
Contact:
   

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#144 » by Baphomet » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Yeah, I would be astonished if United blow this from here. They were very poor against Rostov, though.

Of course, there's a ways to go yet, but would this season be considered a successful season for Mourinho if they win 2 trophies (League Cup and Europa League), finish 5th, but still qualify for the CL?
User avatar
HIF
RealGM
Posts: 11,850
And1: 3,824
Joined: Mar 31, 2004
Location: France
         

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#145 » by HIF » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:16 pm

Baphomet wrote:Yeah, I would be astonished if United blow this from here. They were very poor against Rostov, though.

Of course, there's a ways to go yet, but would this season be considered a successful season for Mourinho if they win 2 trophies (League Cup and Europa League), finish 5th, but still qualify for the CL?


Who knows?

United are an up and down team. Surely our Spanish friends are sure that Celta Vigo will win. The Germans think Shalke can do it, the French Lyon and the Turks will be sure this is Besiktas' year.
No more talk about Family Riles. Just do you job! :noway:

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 11,312
And1: 613
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#146 » by cgf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:27 pm

HIF wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Yeah, I would be astonished if United blow this from here. They were very poor against Rostov, though.

Of course, there's a ways to go yet, but would this season be considered a successful season for Mourinho if they win 2 trophies (League Cup and Europa League), finish 5th, but still qualify for the CL?


Who knows?

United are an up and down team. Surely our Spanish friends are sure that Celta Vigo will win. The Germans think Shalke can do it, the French Lyon and the Turks will be sure this is Besiktas' year.


No germans think Schalke can do it other than schalke homers. They needed a lot of luck & refereeing help to score any goals against BMG...last week a foul that wasn't called lead directly to lone schalke's goal, and in this past match they needed a terrible penalty call as well as a lucky bounce on their first goal. Plus they are terribly structured in possession.

In this german's opinion Lyon is the favorite with United a close second.
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
User avatar
HIF
RealGM
Posts: 11,850
And1: 3,824
Joined: Mar 31, 2004
Location: France
         

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#147 » by HIF » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:43 pm

cgf wrote:
HIF wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Yeah, I would be astonished if United blow this from here. They were very poor against Rostov, though.

Of course, there's a ways to go yet, but would this season be considered a successful season for Mourinho if they win 2 trophies (League Cup and Europa League), finish 5th, but still qualify for the CL?


Who knows?

United are an up and down team. Surely our Spanish friends are sure that Celta Vigo will win. The Germans think Shalke can do it, the French Lyon and the Turks will be sure this is Besiktas' year.


No germans think Schalke can do it other than schalke homers. They needed a lot of luck & refereeing help to score any goals against BMG...last week a foul that wasn't called lead directly to lone schalke's goal, and in this past match they needed a terrible penalty call as well as a lucky bounce on their first goal. Plus they are terribly structured in possession.

In this german's opinion Lyon is the favorite with United a close second.


I know you do.

Living in France I can say that Lyon haven't been that good in the league but they have the potential to do okay in the Europa league.

Monaco have been the outstanding surprise, Nice lack of depth is just starting to hurt them, PSG have been disappointing and most of the rest of the league has been meh!
No more talk about Family Riles. Just do you job! :noway:

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 11,312
And1: 613
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#148 » by cgf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:43 pm

HIF wrote:
cgf wrote:
HIF wrote:
Who knows?

United are an up and down team. Surely our Spanish friends are sure that Celta Vigo will win. The Germans think Shalke can do it, the French Lyon and the Turks will be sure this is Besiktas' year.


No germans think Schalke can do it other than schalke homers. They needed a lot of luck & refereeing help to score any goals against BMG...last week a foul that wasn't called lead directly to lone schalke's goal, and in this past match they needed a terrible penalty call as well as a lucky bounce on their first goal. Plus they are terribly structured in possession.

In this german's opinion Lyon is the favorite with United a close second.


I know you do.

Living in France I can say that Lyon haven't been that good in the league but they have the potential to do okay in the Europa league.

Monaco have been the outstanding surprise, Nice lack of depth is just starting to hurt them, PSG have been disappointing and most of the rest of the league has been meh!


Saying Lyon haven't been that good in the league is a bit of an under-statement lol. But the way they thoroughly handled Roma, who were my favorites before then, has impressed me a lot more than what we've seen from Mourinho's boys in europe this season. Neither are really convincing...though they are a step above the rest...but Lyon is coming off the more impressive victory and so should have the momentum.
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
User avatar
Baphomet
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,374
And1: 2,737
Joined: Dec 03, 2008
Location: UK
Contact:
   

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#149 » by Baphomet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:48 pm

First leg scores:

Anderlecht 1 - 1 Manchester United
Lyon 2 - 1 Besiktas
Celta Vigo 3 - 2 Genk
Ajax 2 - 0 Schalke
Det the Threat
Head Coach
Posts: 6,178
And1: 282
Joined: Aug 29, 2004
Location: Germany
     

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#150 » by Det the Threat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:28 am

Baphomet wrote:First leg scores:

Anderlecht 1 - 1 Manchester United
Lyon 2 - 1 Besiktas
Celta Vigo 3 - 2 Genk
Ajax 2 - 0 Schalke


Well, Ajax - Schalke should've been 5-0, but Fährmann had the game of his life.
I'm pretty sure those lucky bastards will still get somehow through, with another pen and crappy goals...
No_20
Veteran
Posts: 2,542
And1: 315
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#151 » by No_20 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:26 pm

Man Utd
Lyon
Ajax
Celta Vigo

Dont think there's much between them. Man Utd got the experience though compared to the very young Lyon and Ajax teams.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Hellcrooner
Senior
Posts: 740
And1: 368
Joined: Aug 04, 2014
         

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#152 » by Hellcrooner » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:06 am

Odds of winning this thing

MUFC 75%
Lyon 15%
Ajax 8%
Celta 2%

Its mourinhos trophy to lose.

Win? means nothing.
Lose? ashaming.
User avatar
Baphomet
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,374
And1: 2,737
Joined: Dec 03, 2008
Location: UK
Contact:
   

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#153 » by Baphomet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:00 pm

How does a win for United mean nothing? It gets them in the CL, which is especially important given that their odds of making the top four aren't too hot at the moment with Liverpool & City in solid form, and a fairly tough remaining schedule.

I agree that they should be winning the tournament comfortably, though.
User avatar
TurboTitan
Rookie
Posts: 1,212
And1: 789
Joined: Jul 12, 2013
Location: Windsor, ON
   

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#154 » by TurboTitan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:Odds of winning this thing

MUFC 75%
Lyon 15%
Ajax 8%
Celta 2%

Its mourinhos trophy to lose.

Win? means nothing.
Lose? ashaming.

win? means a ticket to the fkn champions league
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
Kyle_Connor
Ballboy
Posts: 38
And1: 5
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
   

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#155 » by Kyle_Connor » Wed May 3, 2017 1:20 pm

United look clear favorites. Last year Liverpool had all tough opponents like United, Dortmund, Villareal, and defending champs Sevilla. United are cruising away with easy fixtures.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 8,773
And1: 4,101
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
   

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#156 » by Cactus Jack » Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 pm

United almost blew it lol damn
Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY
User avatar
Baphomet
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,374
And1: 2,737
Joined: Dec 03, 2008
Location: UK
Contact:
   

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#157 » by Baphomet » Thu May 11, 2017 9:01 pm

INSANE semi-final second legs in the end. So tense in both matches.
The_Brecht
Junior
Posts: 395
And1: 96
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
 

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#158 » by The_Brecht » Thu May 11, 2017 9:03 pm

The luck of Man U has to run out someday, isn't it?
West-Flemish for behinners:

    - Dust means thirsty.
mas1977
Freshman
Posts: 77
And1: 3
Joined: Jun 12, 2013

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#159 » by mas1977 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Ajax went through after a tense match against Lyon. We should have finished them last game already but we let them live by only scoring four.

First half we were so much better, should have scored 3. Great goal from Dolberg.

Ref was a disgrace. The penalty kick was nothing and he should have sent off fekir with two yellow and that centreback with a red.

Luckily in the end we made it
No_20
Veteran
Posts: 2,542
And1: 315
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: 2016–17 UEFA Europa League 

Post#160 » by No_20 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Think Man Utd will have too much experience for Ajax in the final.

Ajax almost got knocked out against Copenhagen, Schalke and Lyon even though they had 100 chances in those ties.

Expect Mourinho to make it a physical match like he usually does in finals.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.

Return to The General Soccer Board