Champions League Coverage

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Champions League Coverage 

Post#1 » by britblazerdude » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Looks like TNT, TBS and the Turner Gang have kicked out Fox. Happy days! Fox's coverage is just awful, especially when juxtaposed to the NBC Premier League coverage. And they have all the hated names in American soccer: Eric Wynalda, Alexi Lalas,Gus Johnson. You'd think Wynalda and Lalas were Messi and Ronaldo from how their patronizing commentary style.

I'm interested to see how Turner covers the tournament, as they have not covered soccer since 1990.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Re: Champions League Coverage 

Post#2 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Would be good if there is continued partnership with ESPN, if not then there would be less games available than now.
britblazerdude
RealGM

Post#3 » by britblazerdude » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:15 pm

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Would be good if there is continued partnership with ESPN, if not then there would be less games available than now.

How do you know that until the Turner announces how they show the games? That makes no sense. It could be like NBC Premier League coverage with complete access. TNT may provide a Watch ESPN-like interface for the matches.

Also, ESPN's combined coverage of the Champions League in tandem with Fox is minimal. Major clubs are still hidden away on Fox Sports 2 and Fox Sports Go every match-day cycle. And Turner would likely show games on TNT, TBS, and TruTV, just like March Madness.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:02 pm

I wish Turner/Espn would cover La Liga games as well. BeIN sports is garbage.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#5 » by Bernman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:05 pm

I think a benefit of it is Turner has really no competition at that time. Either they're showing dated movies, tv show reruns, or this. They can fully commit. Fox Sports had a lot of other sport commitments. So it became Sophie's Choice at times.

And also they don't have a subscription service they are trying to sell so they hide the games there.

In addition the limited sporting involvement means this is more special to them so they may have good production value. Can't complain about the job they do with basketball from a production standpoint.

Just a question of who they get to announce and analyze. They'll probably now have to do some poaching or get creative because football commentating is very specific. It's hard to crossover. They could make a deal with ESPN to rent some of the talent when they have few games to do. Ian Darke, Max Bretos, Ale Moreno, and Craig Burley I'm thinking of. ESPNFC cycles their talent in and out. Never a shortage of bodies then.

From TNT's perspective, 20 million per seems like a real bargain for them. Football just isn't the easiest thing to monetize in the American market. They know commercial sports. Show wall-to-wall adverts during March Madness. That's a concern - they might do commercial interruption and breakaway. I mean the grass is not always greener on the other side. This could go badly as a new foray. But I understand why people believe FSN were leaving plenty to be desired.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#6 » by Foye » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:29 pm

What is horrible about multi match 90 is that they will show literally every free kick possible and thus the flow of the game is completely lost.

Gesendet von iPhone mit RealGM Forums
nick p
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#7 » by nick p » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Rob Stone is unlikely to move to Turner as he has a critical role in college football and basketball coverage at Fox Sports It will be critical for Turner to hire a studio host with Stone’s knowledge of soccer
britblazerdude
RealGM

Post#8 » by britblazerdude » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:52 pm

Bernman wrote: That's a concern - they might do commercial interruption and breakaway. I mean the grass is not always greener on the other side. This could go badly as a new foray. But I understand why people believe FSN were leaving plenty to be desired.

No American channel has done that since the 90s though.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#9 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Mar 1, 2017 3:07 pm

britblazerdude wrote:Looks like TNT, TBS and the Turner Gang have kicked out Fox. Happy days! Fox's coverage is just awful, especially when juxtaposed to the NBC Premier League coverage. And they have all the hated names in American soccer: Eric Wynalda, Alexi Lalas,Gus Johnson. You'd think Wynalda and Lalas were Messi and Ronaldo from how their patronizing commentary style.

I'm interested to see how Turner covers the tournament, as they have not covered soccer since 1990.

but how do we know if TNT, TBS are better? LOL
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#10 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Mar 1, 2017 3:09 pm

they better not put in commercials at all....
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
britblazerdude
RealGM

Post#11 » by britblazerdude » Thu Mar 9, 2017 11:38 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
britblazerdude wrote:Looks like TNT, TBS and the Turner Gang have kicked out Fox. Happy days! Fox's coverage is just awful, especially when juxtaposed to the NBC Premier League coverage. And they have all the hated names in American soccer: Eric Wynalda, Alexi Lalas,Gus Johnson. You'd think Wynalda and Lalas were Messi and Ronaldo from how their patronizing commentary style.

but how do we know if TNT, TBS are better? LOL

We don't . . . . I don't understand the point of this comment.
lipstickonface
Junior
And1: 153

Post#12 » by lipstickonface » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:59 am

Interesting, was not aware of this. Turner kinda seems to have its plate full but so long to NASCAR post game on Fox

Return to The General Soccer Board