Toronto FC Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Re: Official Toronto FC Thread 

Post#1641 » by Brew666 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:29 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:Sadly, I think it's already too late.

Next season will be like building again from day one to win the fans back. It's going to take a long while I think.

I"m hoping w/ Bradley and potentially Gilberto returning, that there isn't too many moves that need to be made to get into the playoffs next year. Vanney seems to know what he's doing and starting the season with him should be good. If Defoe goes and MLSE uses that money wisely on another DP then playoffs are in the grasp next year. The team was thin from the get go and could be reconfigured a bit better for the MLS game.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#1642 » by LLJ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:41 pm

This was the soccer version of the 2013 Jays. My goodness.

It really did seem to go bad all at once the day it was announced TL was officially leaving. :lol: TL could have held back on his leaving announcement until they made the playoffs at least!
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#1643 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Brew666 wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:Sadly, I think it's already too late.

Next season will be like building again from day one to win the fans back. It's going to take a long while I think.

I"m hoping w/ Bradley and potentially Gilberto returning, that there isn't too many moves that need to be made to get into the playoffs next year. Vanney seems to know what he's doing and starting the season with him should be good. If Defoe goes and MLSE uses that money wisely on another DP then playoffs are in the grasp next year. The team was thin from the get go and could be reconfigured a bit better for the MLS game.

Gilberto will likely be gone. Looking to move back to South America or possibly to Orlando.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1644 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:38 pm

Last game of the season on TSN2 tonight.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,003

Post#1645 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:21 pm

As a casual fan in the past, this was my first full season where I kept up with TFC (yeah, yeah, call me a bandwagoner or whatever). The season was disappointing to say the least, but I hope they keep the team together and try again next year. It's not easy to assemble a new team and expect them to gel in just one season. Plus the World Cup definitely threw things off. If a healthy Defoe can come back next year, I think the playoffs are possible. If Defoe does leave, then signing a new top DP needs to prioritized. Not sure how serious MLSE will take all this with Tim Leiweke leaving though.
TheSamMitchell
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,864

Post#1646 » by TheSamMitchell » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:30 pm

Guys, Defoe and Bradley are not leaving their money. Gilberto..ahhh. He didn't seem to keen on staying in his last interview. But anyways, MLSE already invested in the renovations. They need success to fill those seats. So, I am sure that MLSE will continue to provide financial backing to the team, if they have any common sense.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1647 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:37 pm

TheSamMitchell wrote:Guys, Defoe and Bradley are not leaving their money. Gilberto..ahhh. He didn't seem to keen on staying in his last interview. But anyways, MLSE already invested in the renovations. They need success to fill those seats. So, I am sure that MLSE will continue to provide financial backing to the team, if they have any common sense.

Bradley will remain, but I think Defoe will be sold back to a club in England for him to finish off his career. I really don't think he was happy on this side of the pond.

Gilberto to me is still a question mark, but a smart money bet would be that he will be gone too.

MLSE will bring in two new DP's in hopes to sell seats, and Bradley I think will have a much better season next year.
TheSamMitchell
Bench Warmer

Post#1648 » by TheSamMitchell » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:28 am

LittleOzzy wrote:
TheSamMitchell wrote:Guys, Defoe and Bradley are not leaving their money. Gilberto..ahhh. He didn't seem to keen on staying in his last interview. But anyways, MLSE already invested in the renovations. They need success to fill those seats. So, I am sure that MLSE will continue to provide financial backing to the team, if they have any common sense.

Bradley will remain, but I think Defoe will be sold back to a club in England for him to finish off his career. I really don't think he was happy on this side of the pond.

Gilberto to me is still a question mark, but a smart money bet would be that he will be gone too.

MLSE will bring in two new DP's in hopes to sell seats, and Bradley I think will have a much better season next year.

True, Defoe was probably unaware that the majority of people in Toronto don't really care about soccer. So he's not gonna have the same "status" here, like he had in England. I could see him being upset with that, but I really don't think he's gonna leave his money. Unless TFC is tired of him, I really think he'll be back next season. But TFC really needs a new high-profile DP if they want to sell seats for next season. Bringing everyone back won't really stimulate much excitement. They'll actually have to win to get some excitement going.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1649 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:39 am

TheSamMitchell wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:

True, Defoe was probably unaware that the majority of people in Toronto don't really care about soccer. So he's not gonna have the same "status" here, like he had in England. I could see him being upset with that, but I really don't think he's gonna leave his money. Unless TFC is tired of him, I really think he'll be back next season. But TFC really needs a new high-profile DP if they want to sell seats for next season. Bringing everyone back won't really stimulate much excitement. They'll actually have to win to get some excitement going.

I actually think Defoe likely enjoyed the anonymity being in Toronto would bring. Being able to walk the streets, and go to the mall without being hassled must have felt great.

What I think he hated was the upper management change over, the lack of team direction, and the MLS travel schedule that takes you all over the US. Those flights must be brutal sometimes.

I just hope we don't see a mass change over at all positions. I would rather tinker with this lineup instead of mass changes.
Brew666
Junior

Post#1650 » by Brew666 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:38 pm

I hope they only tweak also. This team has had no consistency w/ it's mgmt or players over the years. The season was a huge disappointment b/c there were expectations of competing not only for a playoff spot but for the cup too. Regardless of the expectations, it was the franchises's best season in it's history and they shouldn't tear it all down.

I'm expecting Defoe to head back to England and been hearing about the rumours of Gilberto but hope he stays. If both split, I hope mgmt goes after quality DPs instead of a name that puts people in the seats. Like any major Toronto sports team, all they have to do is win to get people to show up for the games/support the club.
TheSamMitchell
Bench Warmer

Post#1651 » by TheSamMitchell » Wed Nov 5, 2014 6:14 pm

So, Defoe is pretty much gone. Who takes his DP slot?
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1652 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:35 pm

Vancouver Whitecaps set to complete Matias Laba's permanent transfer from Toronto FC

A busy offseason for Vancouver Whitecaps head coach Carl Robinson is already underway. As he continues to ponder his personnel options for next year, one player that is all but assured to be coming back for the next campaign is Matias Laba.

Laba joined the Whitecaps at the end of February, acquired in a trade from Canadian rivals Toronto FC for "future considerations." After an impressive first season in Vancouver, speculation arose that Toronto might be looking for a lot in return for the defensive midfielder.

Robinson would not confirm exactly what those considerations are, but he did reveal that the terms of the deal had already been agreed by both clubs prior to the trade taking place – and it's a price that Vancouver will happily pay to retain the midfielder in 2015.

"There’s a fee agreed [with TFC] to take Matias Laba," Robinson told reporters. "We will be doing that because Mati's been fantastic for us and a big part of this club moving forward.

"That fee will be settled between the two ownership groups. It's nothing to do with me, although I do know what it is. It will be settled and Mati will be coming back with us next year."

TFC should have plenty of money to spend over the off season now. At least hopefully.
Brew666
Junior

Post#1653 » by Brew666 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:36 pm

It's a shame w/ the whole dp shuffle last year that Labas found himself on the outside looking in. I know Bradley didn't have a good season last year but I'm still a fan of him and his game.

W/ all that money, I hope they spend it wisely. Reading the Red Patch Boys forum, there seems to be unsubstantial rumours of Gerrard and Sneijder possibly coming to Toronto. Big names but would rather go the route of quality that's around for the long term.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#1654 » by dagger » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:22 pm

Here's a video on the stadium expansion plan. This will make BMO Field a terrific venue. All we need now is a terrific local team playing on the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJfXwBx ... e=youtu.be
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1655 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:40 pm

dagger wrote:Here's a video on the stadium expansion plan. This will make BMO Field a terrific venue. All we need now is a terrific local team playing on the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJfXwBx ... e=youtu.be

Looks impressive, but I think a lot of fans will not be returning next season.

I fear a older big name signing in hopes of drawing some of them back. MLSE has no idea how to build a winning football club.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1656 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Jan 2, 2015 5:20 pm

Toronto FC Tidbits

Defoe

Toronto FC owns a player top-flight Premier League clubs can’t afford.

At least that’s the sentiment currently echoing throughout the UK.

A day after TFC general manager Tim Bezbatchenko addressed claims from Queens Park Rangers bench boss Harry Redknapp concerning the London-based club’s pursuit of Jermain Defoe, Hull City’s Steve Bruce confirmed his interest in going after the former England international.

“Whether we can do it financially is a problem,” Bruce said, according to Richard Sutcliffe of the Yorkshire Post. “But if he’s available, which I believe he is, then we’d love to do something.”

So would QPR, reportedly.

And Leicester City. And, well, a few others.

They all have said the same thing publicly: A deal for Defoe might be too rich.

“We signed a player that’s wanted by other teams,” Bezbatchenko told the Sun this week. “We operate in that arena now.”

Toronto’s young GM added Defoe, who the Reds paid Tottenham $10 million for this time last year, is nearing 100% fitness after struggling with a groin issue much of last year.

Bradley

Since crutching his way into a packed press conference room in November, Toronto FC’s Michael Bradley has been taking steps to recover from off-season foot surgery.

“He’s at the training ground pretty much every day,” Bezbatchenko said. “He’ll be ready for preseason if not before. He’s healing very well. He’s on track. He’s on schedule.

Bradley had a nerve between the metatarsal heads in his left foot removed following an exhaustive 2014

DeRo

The Reds are discussing “next steps” with MLS great Dwayne De Rosario.

In an exclusive chit-chat with the Toronto Sun this week, Bezbatchenko confirmed the Reds continue to talk to De Rosario’s representatives but are currently “focused on other areas of the roster.

“We made a difficult decision not to exercise his option,” Bezbatchenko said. “We’re trying to explore other opportunities for Dwayne to continue with the club in another capacity. We want to respect Dwayne and everything he has done for the club.”

While nothing is solidified in terms of the Canadian international’s future, Toronto FC is exploring other options for its all-time leading goal-scorer.

Team Sponsor

The Reds continue to search for a new jersey sponsor following the expiration of BMO’s $4-million per season deal with the team. “We’re making progress,” Bezbatchenko said. “It’s a matter of making sure we partner with someone like-minded. Our deal before was among the top jersey deals in the league. We don’t expect that to go down”.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/01/wh ... -for-defoe

Also if you are interested in seeing a Premier League & Major League Soccer forum added to RealGM, please leave your thoughts here: viewtopic.php?f=437&t=1364073 If we get enough of a positive response, both will likely be added.

Thanks!
Shimso
Starter
And1: 2,703

Post#1657 » by Shimso » Fri Jan 2, 2015 5:31 pm

At least we won't share sponsors with one of our biggest rivals....
nahom1319
Veteran
And1: 707

Post#1658 » by nahom1319 » Fri Jan 2, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm genuinely interested to see what happens with this squad. I'm in my final semester of class and should have actual disposable income soon so getting season tickets or even a pack might be in the cards for me.
Dr Mufasa wrote: I wouldn't bet any of my personal money on Valanciunas being in the NBA after his rookie contract.
<--- May 22 2012
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx14 ... -THG-1.gif
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1659 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Jan 2, 2015 8:53 pm

Shimso wrote:At least we won't share sponsors with one of our biggest rivals....

Could still happen if we end up with "Bell".

Though my guess is next season Rogers will be our kit sponsor. Or possibly Kia

Also if you are interested in seeing a Premier League & Major League Soccer forum added to RealGM, please leave your thoughts here: viewtopic.php?f=437&t=1364073 If we get enough of a positive response, both will likely be added.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,378

Post#1660 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Jan 2, 2015 9:46 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
Shimso wrote:At least we won't share sponsors with one of our biggest rivals....

Could still happen if we end up with "Bell".

Though my guess is next season Rogers will be our kit sponsor. Or possibly Kia

Not sure about Rogers being such a visible sponsor since TSN owns National rights for the MLS until 2016. However, Rogers does sponsor Toronto FC in some capacity, so that likely means TFC can't work with Bell either.

I think it will either be KIA (they hold the naming rights to the training facility and do a lot of work with TFC) or Canadian Tire with their SprothChek brand that has latched onto the Raptors and may see similar demographics in play. (Canadian Tire owns Sportchek, and also Mark's Work Warehouse which is another TFC sponsor),

Return to Major League Soccer