The Official Toronto FC Thread

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: The Official Toronto FC/MLS Thread 

Post#2 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Jul 1, 2008 3:55 pm

Toronto faces Vancouver test

Toronto FC welcome Canadian opposition to BMO Field for the first time when they face Vancouver Whitecaps on Canada Day in the Nutrilite Canadian Championship. The game is being broadcast live on CBC. Kick off is 4:00 p.m.

The Reds won their opening game in the Nutrilite Canadian Championship 1-0 at Montreal Impact in late May. Marco Velez scored the winning goal, heading in a Laurent Robert free kick. Since then, the Impact have beaten Vancouver twice to go three points clear of Toronto at the top of the Nutrilite standings. The winner of the three team round robin tournament goes on to represent Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League.

http://www.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.js ... &team=t280
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Jul 1, 2008 10:26 pm

The Vancouver, Toronto game today was crazy! I can't believe some of the calls that were made but I must admit Vancouver played a very good game.

Jay Nolly had a fantastic game and really was the MVP of the match. TFC on the other hand has a lot of work to do if they want to improve, it should be an embarrassment to them that they won't be representing Canada if they continue to play this was in the Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

Most people felt TFC was easily going to come out on top.
Ia1cdI
Senior
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Ia1cdI » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:02 am

FC has a good chance this year, and if they keep it up will likely be in the playoffs.. If the regular season games are this crazy, I cant wait to see some Playoff ones!
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:27 pm

Late game in Vancouver tonight so I hope it's worth staying up for. We need a win here or else it's going to be pretty easy for Montreal to take the Canadian Championship.

It's going to be a tough game with Danny out.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:23 pm

A tie against Vancouver is not a very good result at all. It's going to make the Montreal game that much tougher knowing it's win or go home.

The Whitecaps have now been eliminated from the Canadian Championship but they at least made things very interesting. They should be a lot tougher to beat next season as well.

Does anyone know if the Montreal TFC game will be on TV?
sideshow
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#7 » by sideshow » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:23 pm

Please let the Hakan Sukur signing be true. Even at 37 years old, I think this guy has the chance to run rufshot over the whole MLS. We desperately need a striker. When you best striker is a 17 year old kid who has played 1 MLS game, you are in trouble.

My fingers are crossed.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:13 pm

I really hope they move the Canadian Championship game with Toronto and Montreal from CBC Bold to their main network. That game should be stellar!

Taking on Independiente of Argentina tonight should mean another loss.
sideshow
Analyst

Post#9 » by sideshow » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:55 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:I really hope they move the Canadian Championship game with Toronto and Montreal from CBC Bold to their main network. That game should be stellar!

Taking on Independiente of Argentina tonight should mean another loss.

That game is on my anniversay. :( So I will have to watch it the next day.

The lineup tonight is mostly the reserve team, which should be interesting.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:53 am

For TFC, it was another disappointing result for a slumping club that has won just one of its last nine matches overall.

I know TFC is still a very young club and I must admit I think we have a better team this year than last year, but this losing is starting to really become the norm.
sideshow
Analyst

Post#11 » by sideshow » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:04 pm

The team really started to stumble when players were called up for the international games. We seemed to fall apart then. Add that to a crazy schedule now, and the dissappearance of any skill at the forward position.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:55 pm

This Montreal TFC game is great.

Tied 1-1 at the half.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#13 » by Geddy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:23 am

Toronto just can't finish great scoring opportunities.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
sideshow
Analyst

Post#14 » by sideshow » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:14 pm

Nice knowing you Jeff Cunnigham. When your coach questions your acheivment throughout your entire career, you probably won't be back with the team anytime soon.
DIEHARD_005
Starter
And1: 902

Post#15 » by DIEHARD_005 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:51 pm

I didn't get to catch the game but when I went on tsn.ca this morning and saw in the headlines that TFC drew with MTL I was devistated. I think losing to a USL club for a chance to represent Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League has to be one of the lowest points for the club this year.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:58 pm

A win tonight against Real Salt Lake would be a great confidence booster.

Pity we are horrible on the road.
sideshow
Analyst

Post#17 » by sideshow » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:50 pm

I just ordered CBC Bold to catch the game. Rogers gave it to me for free till November, which was a nice little treat.

I wonder if Barrett will play tonight. Hopefully.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:00 pm

Well we almost came away with one point.

TFC finds it hard to score on the road, so at least getting one in the back on the net is a step forward despite the loss.

I just need to keep reminding myself that this is TFC's second season and we are already getting better. Making the playoffs wasn't going to happen overnight.
NeverGoingToWin
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#19 » by NeverGoingToWin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:50 pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/07/30/barrett_mcbride_deal_done/

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that they have acquired forward Chad Barrett, a 2009 1st round MLS SuperDraft pick, and conditional future considerations for forward Brian McBride. Toronto used the top slot in the allocation ranking to acquire McBride.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Aug 1, 2008 12:37 am

MLS EXPANSION DESTINATION RANKINGS

1. Montreal. The transition into MLS would be relatively seamless and the Impact have shown that there is already an appetite for soccer in the city. Chances: 70 percent.

2. St. Louis. It lacks the wealth of backing enjoyed by some other bids but has a brand new stadium to look forward to and an impressive figurehead in Jeff Cooper. Chances: 60 percent.

3. Vancouver. Would leap to the front of the pack if stadium issues could be resolved. Nash adds some star power and profile. Chances: 35 percent.

4. Portland The Portland group is going about its business quietly but can not be discounted. A ready-made local rivalry with Seattle is a potential plus. Chances: 15 percent.

5. Atlanta. Well-backed in the form of Arthur Blank, owner of the National Football League’s Atlanta Falcons, but little progress has been made on a new stadium. Chances: 10 percent.

6. Las Vegas. Rumors of a $500 million stadium with a retractable roof and a cash-laden ownership group are still around, but no public announcement equals no momentum – and probably no chance. Chances: 5 percent.

7. New York. It is hard to see the logic in a second N.Y. franchise until the Red Bulls start pulling in big crowds. Chances: 4 percent.

8. Ottawa. Not a soccer market and little reason to be on the list except for the millions of Eugene Melnyk, owner of the National Hockey League’s Ottawa Senators. Chances: 1 percent.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_yl ... &type=lgns

Return to Major League Soccer