Nadal playing 3 events in February

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

va-mos
Banned User
And1: 16

Nadal playing 3 events in February 

Post#1 » by va-mos » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:58 pm

http://www.vtropen.cl/destacados/rafael ... -atp-chile

Nadal has confirmed he is playing 3 events in February:

-Chile (Feb 4)
-Brazil (Feb 11)
-Mexico (Feb 25)
-Monte Carlo
-Barcelona
-Rome
-Madrid
-Roland Garros

No surprise, Nadal announced late last year that he would be focusing more on clay in 2013. Almagro is the defending champion of Brazil. Ferrer is the defending champion of Mexico.
va-mos
Banned User

Re: Nadal playing 3 events in February 

Post#2 » by va-mos » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:08 am

Chile
R2: Nadal defeated Del Bonis 6-3, 6-2.
QF: Nadal defeated Gimeno-Traver 6-1, 6-4.
SF: Nadal defeated Chardy 6-2, 6-2.
F: Zeballos defeated Nadal 6-7 (7-2), 7-6 (6-8), 6-4.

Brazil (Indoor)
R2: Nadal defeated Souza 6-3, 6-4.
QF: Nadal defeated Berlocq 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
SF: Nadal defeated Alund 6-3, 6-7 (2-7), 6-1.
F: Nadal defeated Nalbandian 6-2, 6-3.

Footage from Brazil final:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 3dIw#t=38s

Mexico awaits, with 4000 security guards on hand....
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/mass-security- ... --spt.html
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#3 » by SharoneWright » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Rumour he's gonna pull out of Indian Wells now...
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
va-mos
Banned User

Post#4 » by va-mos » Fri Mar 1, 2013 3:04 pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/2013/03/ ... emifinals/

March 1, 2013, 2:23 am

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ACAPULCO, Mexico -- Rafael Nadal beat Leonardo Mayer in straight sets on Thursday to reach the semifinals of the Mexican Open, setting up a meeting with Spanish compatriot Nicolas Almagro.

The second-seeded Nadal won 6-1, 7-5 as the former top-ranked player continues his comeback from a long-term knee injury and builds toward the French Open.

Third-seeded Almagro also had a straight-sets win, defeating Horacio Zeballos 6-3, 6-4.

Top-seeded David Ferrer remained on track for a fourth straight Mexican Open title by breezing past Paolo Lorenzi 6-3, 6-1, notching his 18th consecutive win in this tournament.

Ferrer's semifinal opponent will be Italy's Fabio Fognini, who beat Santiago Giraldo 7-5, 6-4.

Nadal is making a comeback after being away from the tour for more than seven months with a left knee injury. He made the final of the VTR Open earlier this month in Chile before losing to Argentine Horacio Zeballos and a week later beat David Nalbandian to claim the Brazil Open title.

"So far I've played in three semifinals and that's fantastic news and it's even better because my three best games have been here," Nadal said.

"Now I feel like I have nothing to lose no matter what happens tomorrow. Either I will go on to play the final or I will go happy to play in another tournament knowing that the knee is responding better."

Nadal has good reason to be confident of beating Almagro, as he boasts an 8-0 record against his fellow Spaniard, yet the former No. 1 said his long absence from the tour must be taken into account.

"I don't feel as the favourite for tomorrow, it's been seven months without competing and I will be facing a great clay player," Nadal said. "I will do my best to play a great match to reach the final, it*s that clear."

On Tuesday, Nadal said he may pull out of next week's Indian Wells Masters in California to spare his fragile knees from the hard courts and save himself for the European clay season.

He didn't say whether he would also compete in the hardcourt Key Biscayne Masters, where he's reached the final three times, and which follows Indian Wells.

Poor Djokovic will never win Roland Garros.

Credit to Nadal's doctors. They called it to perfection. A month ago, Nadal was correctly told his pain would disappear by late February-

Q: What’s the predominant feeling today? Relieved to have been able to put an end to the forced stop, joy to be able to play again, stressed out of fear of not going to do well or fear of still hurting…?

Rafa: Fear? No. Stress, yes. That’s normal. I feel relieved and joyful, that’s certain. In fact, the theme of the moment is patience. I need to take it step by step and accept that I’m not going to be at my maximum level right away. I haven’t played in seven months. If I’m not humble, it’s not going to work. I’m not afraid because I know in what state my knee is in. Since three weeks, all the tests I have undergone have shown perfect results. The truth is that my left knee is in fantastic shape compared with the other one (laughs). I know now that if I run, I won’t risk torn tendons. That’s “importantissime”. The doctors have promised me that. So, it’s alright, no anxiety. Even if the tendon still gives me pain...

Q: Is that pain normal. Did the doctors warn you about it beforehand?

Rafa: Yes, they told me that it would disappear gradually. Normally, it should be gone by the end of February. I will regain my normal mobility on court. I just need to give my patellar tendon time to get used to intense efforts.
va-mos
Banned User

Post#5 » by va-mos » Sun Mar 3, 2013 4:46 am

Mexico
R1: Nadal defeated Schwartzman 6-2, 6-2.
R2: Nadal defeated Alund 6-0, 6-4.
QF: Nadal defeated Mayer 6-1, 7-5.
SF: Nadal defeated Almagro 7-5, 6-4.
F: Nadal defeated Ferrer 6-0, 6-2.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#6 » by SharoneWright » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Guess it's good Nadal decided to play at IW... :dontknow: :D
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
va-mos
Banned User

Post#7 » by va-mos » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:51 am

Indian Wells
R2: Nadal defeated Harrison 7-6 (7-3), 6-2.
R3: Nadal defeated Mayer
R4: Nadal defeated Gulbis 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
QF: Nadal defeated Federer 6-4, 6-2.
SF: Nadal defeated Berdych 6-4, 7-5.
F: Nadal defeated Del Potro 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Return to General Other Sports Talk