French Open 2013

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Jugs
RealGM
And1: 6,488

Re: French Open 2013 

Post#61 » by Jugs » Sun Jun 9, 2013 2:51 pm

Spuds protesting lol. 54 minutes for a 6-2 set shows that ferrer is trying his hardest to compete but Nadal is clay king
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#62 » by Hero » Sun Jun 9, 2013 3:59 pm

Rafa could win 20 grand slams if he stays healthy.
va-mos
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#63 » by va-mos » Sun Jun 9, 2013 5:21 pm

va-mos
Banned User

Post#64 » by va-mos » Sun Jun 9, 2013 5:22 pm

Hero wrote:Rafa could win 20 grand slams if he stays healthy.

I don't think Nadal needs to be healthy to win slams :lol:

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#65 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jun 9, 2013 6:35 pm

va-mos wrote:Nadal literally broke Djokovic's heart today. Djokovic was trying to keep his promise to his deceased coach/surrogate grandmother, but Nadal would have none of it. It was the biggest body-blow I've ever seen one man give another man on a tennis court. Don't expect much from Djokovic at Wimbledon. This one cuts deep.

It's hard for me to understand your fandom dude. You're constantly making statements about how now Rafa has finally figured everything out and will dominate on all surface all opponents, and it keeps being proven wrong with no effect on your enthusiasm.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#66 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jun 9, 2013 6:36 pm

What makes you say that? Are you expecting him to start winning 3 slams in a year again, or are you thinking he's going to keep winning the French each year into his 30s?

va-mos
Banned User

Post#67 » by va-mos » Sun Jun 9, 2013 6:39 pm

Look out, the doctor is angry!
Talk to me when someone else has won 3 slams in a Calendar Year on clay, grass and hardcourt (Nadal is the only man in world history to have done it, and the only man capable of doing it again).
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#68 » by Hero » Sun Jun 9, 2013 8:40 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

What makes you say that? Are you expecting him to start winning 3 slams in a year again, or are you thinking he's going to keep winning the French each year into his 30s?

Latter. French Open is vastly different to the other grand slams. I suppose you could argue Novak has gotten a lot closer to Rafa on clay so next year he can top him.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#69 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jun 9, 2013 9:00 pm

Hero wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Latter. French Open is vastly different to the other grand slams. I suppose you could argue Novak has gotten a lot closer to Rafa on clay so next year he can top him.

When you say it's different from the other slams, while I agree in principle, there's an important distinction. Do you mean:

A) Simply that it's difference is what allows a player to be vastly superior/inferior on clay than they are on any other surface? (Which is true)

or

B) That clay courts encourage great longevity among the world's very best.

Because 20 for Rafa only seems like a likely possibility if (B) is true to a drastic degree, and I'm not aware of any historical precedence for this. If anything it would seem to be the opposite. While clay is softer and thus less likely to cause injury than hard court, it is the surface which is most dependent on classical forms of athleticism.

When Rafa stops being able to outlast his opponents in rallies because he's not as fast, agile, and durable, he's going to lose on clay. For any normal player past the age of 25 it would be a given that the downward fall was already beginning. What reason do we have to think Rafa's curve will be so different from the rest?

EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,945

Post#70 » by EH15 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:40 am

I see Rafa's decline to be sharp, and rather soon, unlike the graceful decline that Federer has shown the past 5 years. Federer never had to grind out points the way Rafa has, and I think it's helped extend his prime.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#71 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:47 am

va-mos wrote:Look out, the doctor is angry!

Talk to me when someone else has won 3 slams in a Calendar Year on clay, grass and hardcourt (Nadal is the only man in world history to have done it, and the only man capable of doing it again).

Don't know what that has to do with anything.

Rafa's great. Starting to get to the point where a legit #2 all-time spot is in debate.

Rafa's also so great on clay that he distorts others records on clay. If it were a question of whose the GOAT player on their surface of choice it's Rafa. That's awesome. That's also a reason why any made up comparison related to clay can be very misleading.

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,666

Post#72 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:48 am

Congratulations to Serena and Rafa! :clap: :clap:

It was great to see them both come back to win at the French Open, Serena from her long drought here and Rafa from his injuries.

While those two idiots didn't hurt anyone, how in the world did they get past security with incendiary devices?!

About Rafa's knees, I know he said he won't talk about it anymore, but posters here and media people do still wonder out loud about how long Rafa can keep playing such a hard style, particularly when the knees, I think, are the weakest joints to begin with? It remains to be seen how many more GSs he will win, but at the end of his career, should he not break Fed's record, people cannot make the 'he'd beat it if only he were healthy' claim. Part of reaching great heights is staying healthy. Fed has had a blessed streak where that is concerned, but it also is by design as his style of play if far more fluid and less intense on the joints.

Anyway, I enjoyed both finals. I'm happy Serena won over that screecher (SO annoying!), and while I had a sentimental pull for Ferrer as it was a once in a lifetime shot in the final, it was still great to see Rafa win.

Two great champions' legendary talents on full display.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,798

Post#73 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:46 am

GREY 1769 wrote:Anyway, I enjoyed both finals. I'm happy Serena won over that screecher (SO annoying!),

Hey, Serena is a bit of a screamer as well.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,666

Post#74 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:43 am

Rich Rane wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Anyway, I enjoyed both finals. I'm happy Serena won over that screecher (SO annoying!),

Hey, Serena is a bit of a screamer as well.

True, but it's the high pitch that bugs me the most. I'm happy for Serena because she won after so long, and it seems the crowd is warming up to her more than before, so it's a positive transition.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
va-mos
Banned User

Post#75 » by va-mos » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:48 am

NeverGoingToWin
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#76 » by NeverGoingToWin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:14 pm

This guy is one of the reasons I cheer against Nadal. How do people become so bias in favour of somebody?
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#77 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:22 pm

NeverGoingToWin wrote:This guy is one of the reasons I cheer against Nadal. How do people become so bias in favour of somebody?

He bothers me as well and I'm a huge Nadal fan. I do think its weird to base who you like and dislike based on a random internet poster though.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.

Return to General Other Sports Talk