French Open 2013

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

va-mos
Banned User
And1: 16

French Open 2013 

Post#1 » by va-mos » Sat May 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Quarters if seeds advance:
(1) Djokovic vs (8) Tipsarevic
(2) Federer vs (6) Tsonga
(3) Nadal vs (7) Gasquet
(4) Ferrer vs (5) Berdych

Semis if seeds advance:
Djokovic vs Nadal
Federer vs Ferrer

Nadal looking to become the first man to win a slam title 8 times.
Nadal looking to become the first man to win at least one slam per year for 9 years in a row.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,056

Re: French Open 2013 

Post#2 » by UGA Hayes » Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 pm

American men's tennis continues its decent into oblivion. Isner probably the only legit player with a chance to win more then one round with Jack Sock being a little bit of a wildcard. Most of the other men are 1 and done journeymen types.

American womens tennis is in an interesting spot though. Sloane has made a major breakthrough this year and is now 17! in the seeding for this tourny. Quite a few others in the 50-100 rankings (Oudin, Mchale, Keys etc) who just haven't quite manage to get it together
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,797

Post#3 » by Rich Rane » Sun May 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Anyone watching the Venus Williams-Urszula Radwanska match? So many breaks.
Em1
Senior
And1: 136

Post#4 » by Em1 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:31 am

I saw a good chunk of it. Good stuff. Watching Venus though she looks so old sometimes. It looks painful.

----------

www.boxingjabs.com
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,665

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Sun Jun 2, 2013 3:34 am

Isner's out.

I wonder what people think of Rafa's rant about the scheduling due to weather, how it's not fair for him? Should he be getting a break because of his history? Did he have a legitimate point? I can see both sides of it...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Sun Jun 2, 2013 3:36 am

Rich Rane wrote:Anyone watching the Venus Williams-Urszula Radwanska match? So many breaks.

There's a new pair of sisters in town!

But Serena still owns everybody. She's scary.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7 » by Rich Rane » Sun Jun 2, 2013 4:57 am

GREY 1769 wrote:Isner's out.

I can't believe he almost pushed it out. The guy's a marathon man.

GREY 1769 wrote:I wonder what people think of Rafa's rant about the scheduling due to weather, how it's not fair for him? Should he be getting a break because of his history? Did he have a legitimate point? I can see both sides of it...

Doesn't Federer get lenient scheduling at Wimbledon. I don't have a problem with Rafa getting angry.

GREY 1769 wrote:But Serena still owns everybody. She's scary.

I sure as hell wouldn't fight her.
va-mos
Banned User

Post#8 » by va-mos » Sun Jun 2, 2013 9:25 am

GREY 1769 wrote:Isner's out.

I wonder what people think of Rafa's rant about the scheduling due to weather, how it's not fair for him? Should he be getting a break because of his history? Did he have a legitimate point? I can see both sides of it...

Its a subjective issue, so no right or wrong. I'm just glad not every tennis player is a Yes Man.

Rich Rane wrote:I can't believe he almost pushed it out. The guy's a marathon man.

Isner is the only player ever to stretch Nadal to 5 sets at Roland Garros (2011, Round One).
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 3, 2013 2:02 am

I think it's Tsonga-Fed next round. Should be a great match.

Serena still rolling...

As for Rafa losing it, Rich Rane & va-mos, I don't necessarily have a problem with it either, it just depends on whether or not he's on point. He was quiet for a long time and I recall he started complaining publicly a lot more once Joker started his run. Maybe that's an unfair connection, and he's not the only one who went public with issues (other players complained about the length of the season iirc), but Rafa seems to be a lot more vocal than I recall in the past.

Anyway, looking forward to the next round!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
va-mos
Banned User

Post#10 » by va-mos » Mon Jun 3, 2013 5:53 am

GREY 1769 wrote:I think it's Tsonga-Fed next round. Should be a great match.

Serena still rolling...

As for Rafa losing it, Rich Rane & va-mos, I don't necessarily have a problem with it either, it just depends on whether or not he's on point. He was quiet for a long time and I recall he started complaining publicly a lot more once Joker started his run. Maybe that's an unfair connection, and he's not the only one who went public with issues (other players complained about the length of the season iirc), but Rafa seems to be a lot more vocal than I recall in the past.

Anyway, looking forward to the next round!

Nadal resigned from the ATP Players Council over a year ago because Federer refused to honor the wishes of majority of players. At the time Federer was President (as elected in 2010) and Nadal was Vice-President. Prior to Nadal leaving the Players Council, Davydenko offered some insight- http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/131392.html
Davydenko next in line to slam 'perfect' Federer

Roger Federer appears to be losing friends by the day after Nikolay Davydenko joined Rafael Nadal in attacking the Swiss maestro.

Federer, as ATP Player Council president, has been accused of being non-interventionist when it comes to supporting the complaints of his peers. After a year that saw many of the game's top names break down towards the end of the season, there appears to be a collective belief that the ATP Tour diary needs to be lightened.

Nadal was first to take issue with Federer, insisting the former world No. 1 is failing to use his status as arguably the game's greatest player in order to improve conditions for those around him.

"His [position] is easy: do not say anything, all positive, I am a 'gentleman', others get burned. We each have our opinion and maybe he likes the circuit. Me too, I like it, and I think it's better than most sports. That does not mean you cannot be better and that you should change things that are bad," Nadal said.

Now Davydenko - who lost in his Australian Open first round match on Monday - has supported Nadal's stance, insisting Federer only looks after himself in order to pursue the easy life. As a Council president, that is not what Davydenko craves from the Swiss.

"I don't know why Roger is not supporting the players," Davydenko, who was not happy about playing on one of the outside courts in Melbourne, said.

"He doesn't want ... any problems. He's a nice guy. He's winning grand slams. He's from Switzerland. He's perfect. He doesn't want to do anything; he just tries to be an outsider from this one.

"It is very easy [for Federer] to say, 'I am not going to say anything, everything is positive' and come off as a gentleman and burn the rest."

Federer chose to ignore Nadal's comments on Monday, saying, "We can't always agree on everything." And Nadal seemed to retract his complaints at a post-match press-conference, offering his apologies for speaking out.

© ESPN EMEA Ltd
va-mos
Banned User

Post#11 » by va-mos » Mon Jun 3, 2013 9:55 am

I find this French Open particularly interesting.

Djokovic is playing for his first coach from when he was 6 years old (she passed away 3 days ago and his team refused to tell Djokovic about it until after his 3rd Round Dimitrov match). Apparently before she died she told Djokovic to bring her the Roland Garros trophy.

And Nadal is playing for the people of Madrid who had to tolerate Djokovic's behavior at the Madrid Open a few weeks ago. Djokovic told the Madrid spectators "You can suck my d..." and in 2011 he told Indian Wells spectators "I will f... your mothers".
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 3, 2013 10:32 am

va-mos wrote:I find this French Open particularly interesting.

Djokovic is playing for his first coach from when he was 6 years old (she passed away 3 days ago and his team refused to tell Djokovic about it until after his 3rd Round Dimitrov match). Apparently before she died she told Djokovic to bring her the Roland Garros trophy.

And Nadal is playing for the people of Madrid who had to tolerate Djokovic's behavior at the Madrid Open a few weeks ago. Djokovic told the Madrid spectators "I will f... your mothers" and also yelled "You can suck my d...".

Thanks for the link above, va-mos. I do recall it had something to do with the length of the tour or the grind of defending ranking, and that Fed didn't see a problem, but I didn't realize he was not heeding the pleas from fellow players which, as elected president, he ought to have been doing.

And is that part about Joker for real (2nd paragraph)? Disgusting. Not the first time he or his camp has been disrespectful. I recall Fed got upset at his camp yelling unpleasantries before. That kind of explicit language has nothing to do with competition. Did he get fined or something?
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
va-mos
Banned User

Post#13 » by va-mos » Mon Jun 3, 2013 10:52 am

GREY 1769 wrote:

And Nadal is playing for the people of Madrid who had to tolerate Djokovic's behavior at the Madrid Open a few weeks ago. Djokovic told the Madrid spectators "I will f... your mothers" and also yelled "You can suck my d...".

Thanks for the link above, va-mos. I do recall it had something to do with the length of the tour or the grind of defending ranking, and that Fed didn't see a problem, but I didn't realize he was not heeding the pleas from fellow players which, as elected president, he ought to have been doing.

And is that part about Joker for real (2nd paragraph)? Disgusting. Not the first time he or his camp has been disrespectful. I recall Fed got upset at his camp yelling unpleasantries before. That kind of explicit language has nothing to do with competition. Did he get fined or something?

He said it in Serbian, and no action was taken. I read about it on a couple of tennis forums, because the Serbian tv viewers noted it. I should correct/edit my earlier post, he said "Suck my d..." at Madrid 2013. He said "I will f... your mothers" at Indian Wells 2011. I had originally been told both were said at Madrid 2013, but have since read otherwise.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 3, 2013 11:08 am

va-mos wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

He said it in Serbian, and no action was taken. I read about it on a couple of tennis forums, because the Serbian tv viewers noted it. I should correct/edit my earlier post, he said "Suck my d..." at Madrid 2013. He said "I will f... your mothers" at Indian Wells 2011. I had originally been told both were said at Madrid 2013, but have since read otherwise.

Man, what's his problem? Even if he were struggling and frustrated, saying such things would not be all right, but the guy's #1 and that's how he acts? I never cared for the shirt-ripping, chest pounding celebrations, it's all a bit too caveman bravado, but others like it and he has a right to celebrate how he wants. Those comments, however, are on a level of their own, and the fact that he says it in Serbian points to a part of himself that he keeps under wraps but thinks it's ok to whip out in certain contexts. Makes you want to root for the opponent all the more...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#15 » by Hero » Mon Jun 3, 2013 2:19 pm

This is it. A healthy Rafa may finally lose with no excuses at the French Open.
va-mos
Banned User

Post#16 » by va-mos » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:44 pm

In my opinion Nadal will beat Djokovic (for the 20th time) if they meet in the semi, and win the Roland Garros title for an 8th time, and more on the way.

GREY 1769 wrote:Man, what's his problem? Even if he were struggling and frustrated, saying such things would not be all right, but the guy's #1 and that's how he acts? I never cared for the shirt-ripping, chest pounding celebrations, it's all a bit too caveman bravado, but others like it and he has a right to celebrate how he wants. Those comments, however, are on a level of their own, and the fact that he says it in Serbian points to a part of himself that he keeps under wraps but thinks it's ok to whip out in certain contexts. Makes you want to root for the opponent all the more...

Yeah I especially didn't like the 2012 AO final celebration. Plus when they were waiting to have their speeches Nadal sunk down to the ground with exhaustion and Djokovic saw him in the corner of his eye and copied it. That was a bit fake I think. Here's some opinions from 23rd ranked Jerzy Janowicz-
http://www.tennistonic.com/tennis-news?nid=1799
Apparently in a recent interview at a local newspaper he said (google translation)

"I don't have any idols, I'm not following the examples of anyone. I liked Sampras for style, Safin for character. I like watching Federer, but lately I am missing Nadal because he hasn't playing for 8 months."

Then Jerzy elaborated that he liked Nadal "Because there is no fake, he behaves like in life"

"Djokovic is fake, he shows off and acts. Federer is a guy who wants to be above everything. In this context there might be something unnatural of him, hard to feel he is one of us" said Jerzy

"When lower ranked players were protesting because Slam organizers were paying us only 14% of their income, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic were on our side, though there are millionaires, Federer said that according to him is OK"
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#17 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jun 3, 2013 5:51 pm

Wawrinka-Gasquet was pretty entertaining. Can't wait for Federer-Tsonga though.

American women are dropping like flies: Sloane Stephens is defeated by Sharapova, Bethany Mattek-Sands to Maria Kirienko, and Jamie Hampton is about to fall to Jankovic.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#18 » by Hero » Mon Jun 3, 2013 8:08 pm

In Novak's defense, wasn't his upbringing fairly difficult? I recall his family would eat less so he could have more since he was their hope.
Fed, Nadal and Murray for example from what I understand had it much easier financially.

Could contribute to his personality and attitude.
va-mos
Banned User

Post#19 » by va-mos » Tue Jun 4, 2013 12:17 am

Hero wrote:In Novak's defense, wasn't his upbringing fairly difficult? I recall his family would eat less so he could have more since he was their hope.
Fed, Nadal and Murray for example from what I understand had it much easier financially.

Could contribute to his personality and attitude.

That's true and either way, the more personalities in tennis the better. Apart from Nadal, every elite player is a Yes Man in the interview room, so good that there is some instability on the court at least :D

Rich Rane wrote:Wawrinka-Gasquet was pretty entertaining. Can't wait for Federer-Tsonga though.

American women are dropping like flies: Sloane Stephens is defeated by Sharapova, Bethany Mattek-Sands to Maria Kirienko, and Jamie Hampton is about to fall to Jankovic.

America will dominate the next few years, thanks to Serena :D although I hope Stephens takes over.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#20 » by Rich Rane » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:29 pm

Wow, Tsonga takes down Federer in straight sets.

Return to General Other Sports Talk