2013 US Open

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,428

Re: 2013 US Open 

Post#101 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:24 am

I do think the age to age comparison is worth noting.

When Roger Federer was Nadal's current age, he's won 13 majors as well. So it's worth asking whether we expect to Nadal to age better than Federer did. Until this hard court season, this would have seemed rather unlikely. Now, Nadal's stock is certainly higher than Federer's was at this age...but the New Nadal has only been playing like this for a month+. Easy to get overexcited, and also easy to forget that Federer only got his extra 4 because of a Nadal injury. He got lucky, can't bet on that happening for Nadal here.

Of course Nadal's ace in the whole is the French where he's better than anyone has ever been on a surface...but how far do we really expect this to go? If you've got a long memory for tennis, you know how guys go from rolling to major wins to just falling short repeatedly or worse. It seems entirely plausible that that happens to Nadal as he's nearing 30. Is it a given he'll fall like that? No, but there's a reason why before Nadal, no one had ever won 7 of a single major. Betting on a dozen for Nadal seems optimistic.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Re: 2013 US Open 

Post#102 » by Slava » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:27 am

My bad I had Sampras career slams in mind and forgot that Roger had 17. Silly mistake. I can see nadal posting 2 more dominant seasons and Djokovic has a legit chance of throwing a spanner in the works for nadal.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to General Other Sports Talk