Roger Federer sucks... VERY SPECIFICALLY

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 546
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Roger Federer sucks... VERY SPECIFICALLY 

Post#1 » by rrravenred » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:44 pm

Interesting article puts the case that the Fed has a really poor record in matches where the loser wins more points than the winner.

However, more to it than that. Tennis has a very nonlinear scoring system, and the article hypothesises that this particular record is due to opponents gaming playstyles in order to upset a clearly superior player (which Fed has been to pretty much everyone else in the Tennis world)...
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,440

Re: Roger Federer sucks... VERY SPECIFICALLY 

Post#2 » by Slava » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:19 am

This is a nice article. Thanks for sharing.

From that article they linked to this publication on scoring strategies for the under dog opponents:

http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jqas.20 ... 0.1364.xml
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,405

Post#3 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:14 am

The article fails to mention anything about choking which is interesting given that that would explain the phenomenon and it's been alleged against Federer ever since people started looking to lay blame for his losses to the "inferior" talent of Rafa. I personally object to such criticisms, although I will say that I think Rafa's the mentally toughest player I've ever seen.

I'd really like to know who Federer's losses like this have been to. If it's a random mix of his losses, that's one thing. If it's something that happens disproportionately after Rafa and maybe a couple others, that's another.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#4 » by therealbig3 » Sun Mar 2, 2014 4:14 am

Doctor MJ wrote:The article fails to mention anything about choking which is interesting given that that would explain the phenomenon and it's been alleged against Federer ever since people started looking to lay blame for his losses to the "inferior" talent of Rafa.

Because the people that assert that the guy with 17 Grand Slams is a choker look silly.

Return to General Other Sports Talk