Official Free Agent Thread: What to do with our cap space

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

letsgosuns
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Re: Official Free Agent Thread: What to do with our cap space 

Post#1021 » by letsgosuns » Sat May 2, 2015 6:03 am

bwgood77 wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:I do not care that much about a power forward who can stretch the floor as much as I do about a power forward being able to play defense. I would rather have a strong, bruising power forward that plays inside and rebounds instead of a guy that stands around the three point line most of the time. Robert Horry was the best at being able to stretch the floor and also play defense. But he played with Olajuwon, O'Neal, and Duncan. Those are arguably three of the top five big men in NBA history. He perfectly complemented them. So without a big man like that, you do not have to have a power forward that stretches the floor.

Gasol and Bynum did not stretch the floor. Garnett and Perkins did not stretch the floor. Jordan's Bulls team's with Horace Grant, Scott Williams, Bill Cartwright, Bill Wennington, and Dennis Rodman did not stretch the floor. All of those players could play inside. Sure a couple of them could knock down mid-range shots but not one of them was ever camped at three point line during a game just waiting to take a three.

I am not against the Suns getting a player who has the ability to stretch the floor but I am absolutely against the Suns getting a player who cannot play defense and rebound and play inside too. The Suns are so soft. SO SOFT. Only Alex Len has some muscle inside. They have no physicality at the power forward spot at all. The Morris brothers? Please. Those guys are soft as a feather when it comes to inside play. I always see the ball get ripped out of their hands. Half the time they are not even inside to get a rebound. Markieff can stretch the floor but he plays no defense and cannot rebound. Exactly what I mean. Unless the power forward who stretches the floor can also play defense and rebound and score inside, you are never going to win a championship with him.

I somewhat agree with what you say but also disagree. The teams and players you mention played in a different era where advanced stats were not used and spreading the floor big time was not used as much. If we don't have two guards who are elite from range or even better, two guards and a SF spreading the floor, it won't work well. I do agree in the fact I want a guy who plays defense and rebounds but I also want him to have the capability to stretch, particularly with our current guys at 1-3. Memphis plays the style you talk about, and I pull for them, but it will be interesting to see how they do against the Warriors. Generally, if you go old school traditional, you have to have two guys inside who are near all stars, like the Clips and Grizzlies have. But both of those teams either have premier players or defenders at the guards or both, so you need to be stacked to get away with it.

Honestly if the Suns can get a stretch four that can play defense, rebound, and score inside as well ala Robert Horry or Rasheed Wallace, I am all for it. Especially with Alex Len in the middle. I said that a few posts ago in this thread. You are mentioning though that if you have two inside players like the Clippers or Grizzlies do, you need to have great guard play too. That is correct really for any team that wins a championship. When you think about it, every team that has ever won a championship in professional sports is one of the greatest teams of all time in their respective sport. That is why it is so hard to win a championship. The team that wins is usually filled with superstars and hall of famers, like the 2001 Diamondbacks. It took a team fronted by Johnson and Schilling and a plethora of all star players to win the world series. That is what it takes to win a championship.

Looking back at every NBA champion and the runner up, you can pick out at least one player on all those teams that is, will be, or should be in the hall of fame. The year the Suns made the finals in 1993, their team was so good that their bench players would have started on most other teams. That is how good you have to be to just be in the finals. Think of the the Spurs last year. Diaw, Bellinelli, and Mills. Those guys could start on several other teams. It is so hard to build a title team.

To even be a title contender, you must have at least a couple of players in the top five of their respective positions. Many Western teams have that. The Rockets with Harden and Howard. The Clippers with Paul, Griffin, and Jordan. The Grizzlies with Randolph and Gasol. The Warriors with Curry and Thompson. And of course the Spurs have top players everywhere. The only Eastern team that has that I believe is the Cavaliers with James, Irving, and possibly Love if you consider him a top five power forward in the league. Sadly I do not see any way the Suns are going to acquire even one top five player for his position anytime soon. Their best chance is to hope that one or more of their young players turns into that. And no I am not talking about the Morris brothers haha.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,469

Post#1022 » by bwgood77 » Sat May 2, 2015 6:20 am

Spoiler:
letsgosuns wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:I do not care that much about a power forward who can stretch the floor as much as I do about a power forward being able to play defense. I would rather have a strong, bruising power forward that plays inside and rebounds instead of a guy that stands around the three point line most of the time. Robert Horry was the best at being able to stretch the floor and also play defense. But he played with Olajuwon, O'Neal, and Duncan. Those are arguably three of the top five big men in NBA history. He perfectly complemented them. So without a big man like that, you do not have to have a power forward that stretches the floor.

Gasol and Bynum did not stretch the floor. Garnett and Perkins did not stretch the floor. Jordan's Bulls team's with Horace Grant, Scott Williams, Bill Cartwright, Bill Wennington, and Dennis Rodman did not stretch the floor. All of those players could play inside. Sure a couple of them could knock down mid-range shots but not one of them was ever camped at three point line during a game just waiting to take a three.

I am not against the Suns getting a player who has the ability to stretch the floor but I am absolutely against the Suns getting a player who cannot play defense and rebound and play inside too. The Suns are so soft. SO SOFT. Only Alex Len has some muscle inside. They have no physicality at the power forward spot at all. The Morris brothers? Please. Those guys are soft as a feather when it comes to inside play. I always see the ball get ripped out of their hands. Half the time they are not even inside to get a rebound. Markieff can stretch the floor but he plays no defense and cannot rebound. Exactly what I mean. Unless the power forward who stretches the floor can also play defense and rebound and score inside, you are never going to win a championship with him.

I somewhat agree with what you say but also disagree. The teams and players you mention played in a different era where advanced stats were not used and spreading the floor big time was not used as much. If we don't have two guards who are elite from range or even better, two guards and a SF spreading the floor, it won't work well. I do agree in the fact I want a guy who plays defense and rebounds but I also want him to have the capability to stretch, particularly with our current guys at 1-3. Memphis plays the style you talk about, and I pull for them, but it will be interesting to see how they do against the Warriors. Generally, if you go old school traditional, you have to have two guys inside who are near all stars, like the Clips and Grizzlies have. But both of those teams either have premier players or defenders at the guards or both, so you need to be stacked to get away with it.

Honestly if the Suns can get a stretch four that can play defense, rebound, and score inside as well ala Robert Horry or Rasheed Wallace, I am all for it. Especially with Alex Len in the middle. I said that a few posts ago in this thread. You are mentioning though that if you have two inside players like the Clippers or Grizzlies do, you need to have great guard play too. That is correct really for any team that wins a championship. When you think about it, every team that has ever won a championship in professional sports is one of the greatest teams of all time in their respective sport. That is why it is so hard to win a championship. The team that wins is usually filled with superstars and hall of famers, like the 2001 Diamondbacks. It took a team fronted by Johnson and Schilling and a plethora of all star players to win the world series. That is what it takes to win a championship.

Looking back at every NBA champion and the runner up, you can pick out at least one player on all those teams that is, will be, or should be in the hall of fame. The year the Suns made the finals in 1993, their team was so good that their bench players would have started on most other teams. That is how good you have to be to just be in the finals. Think of the the Spurs last year. Diaw, Bellinelli, and Mills. Those guys could start on several other teams. It is so hard to build a title team.

To even be a title contender, you must have at least a couple of players in the top five of their respective positions. Many Western teams have that. The Rockets with Harden and Howard. The Clippers with Paul, Griffin, and Jordan. The Grizzlies with Randolph and Gasol. The Warriors with Curry and Thompson. And of course the Spurs have top players everywhere. The only Eastern team that has that I believe is the Cavaliers with James, Irving, and possibly Love if you consider him a top five power forward in the league. Sadly I do not see any way the Suns are going to acquire even one top five player for his position anytime soon. Their best chance is to hope that one or more of their young players turns into that. And no I am not talking about the Morris brothers haha.

I agree, but some of my favorite seasons were when we took the league by storm after disappointing seasons. 88 and 04-05....everyone always points back at having elite players, but no one thought that 88 team had near elite players. KJ was a second year guy playing with Hornacek and Chambers, and although they got swept by the Lakers in year one, they beat them in 5 or maybe swept them in year two, and were championship caliber...in the games they won against the Blazers they killed them and their losses were all very close....that was likely due to experience.

Then in the 04-05 season, no one thought Nash was a premier player or we wouldn't have signed him for the reasonable contract we did, and JJ was decent but young as was our frontcourt, but we took the league by storm. Again, that year, we lost to the Spurs because of experience....and of course the JJ injury, but I figure we lose to them anyway.

But these years were great for me as a fan. I am not a championship or bust guy. If a team can entertain me and make me feel they have a chance, and have me watching them in three playoff series rooting my heart out, and they lose, it is heartbreaking, but it was a fantastic fun season for me. A championship is gravy, but when it is done, all you think about is winning another one, and every year is a disappointment if you don't. Enjoyment is my key factor. I want two playoff series every year, and if you can do that, you always have a chance. This year, the Clips, Spurs, Warriors, Grizz, Cavs and maybe Bulls have that shot....and for most of those teams, especially the first five I named, it comes down to a crazy call, bad play, unfortunate injury, etc, and that doesn't make me think later "they just were not good enough to win it all" if it simply came down to luck...like with us and the suspensions, Donaghy game, Nash bloody nose that all altered games in one series....all losses.

You've got to be lucky in the draft and lucky in the season and stay injury free, have bounces go your way and everything to win it all....it's not some simple formula that people seem to think. A superstar is usually pretty important obviously, as they have been involved in most of them, so if you don't have them, giving your team that chance is fun to watch it play out, and I'd rather win one as that team that was the underdog without that legendary player than one that relies on it....it would be more fun.

But of course I'd love to have that legendary player that gave us a chance year in and out, but we have a slim chance at that, so for people concocting trades giving another team a couple of avg or above avg players for a potential star is a fools game. We need to luck out in the lottery or make a killer draft pick....with the 13th pick, the Utah Jazz select Karl Malone....with the 13th pick, the Charlotte Hornets select Kobe Bryant. You get the idea.
letsgosuns
Veteran

Post#1023 » by letsgosuns » Sat May 2, 2015 6:47 am

^Yes I am holding out hope that Ryan McDonough can turn it around and maybe do something magical along the lines of those two years you mentioned. The most disappointing thing about the NBA is how hard it is to sign superstars. It happens so rarely. I actually did think Nash was a true star player though when the Suns signed him and freaked out the day I read on the ESPN ticker that he agreed to sign with the Suns. I remember I jumped up and yelled haha because he was the player I wanted the most if the Suns could not get Kobe Bryant. However the Suns have not signed a big time player since then.

In a sport like baseball, it is so much easier to sign a superstar because you can be the highest bidder regardless of whether the free agent is your own or not. First guy that comes to my mind recently is Max Scherzer. Turned down that 6 year/144 million dollar offer from the Tigers and went to the Nationals for 7 years/210 million. In the NBA, that offer the Nationals made would not even be possible because no team is allowed to outbid a player's current team. So when I see how so many teams are supposedly going to go after Durant I just laugh. He does not need to leave Oklahoma. He will get the most money if he stays there. Plus he is already a world famous athlete and is on many commercials so he does not need to go to a big market. He is the market. Just like Lebron.

I am willing to give the Bledsoe/Knight combination a chance because honestly I do not see what else is out there they could get this year that would be better than that. I would definitely like to see Goodwin become the sixth man and have a Jamal Crawford type role and hopefully he progresses enough to become a starter. There are quite a few big time frontcourt players available this year and I would be ecstatic if the Suns could sign one. I expect the Suns to make some moves on draft night to free up the needed cap space to offer a max salary to someone. There are teams out there that would probably take the Morris brothers contracts without the Suns getting anything other than a pick in return.
NoKneeBledsoe
Junior
And1: 92

Post#1024 » by NoKneeBledsoe » Sat May 2, 2015 8:20 am

I crack up how everyone keeps bringing up that we need a STRETCH 4

When the heck did we have a good team with a STRETCH 4? Channing Frye sucked and is not good! Please do not say that.

We need a dominate PF like AMARE whose offensive game was off the charts! The one thing we missed on that team was putting AMARE next to a defensive minded CENTER to make up for his lack of defense.

AMARE was such a threat that he would be double teams and we had a good flow where someone would be open for a good shot!

ALSO we will not get Aldridge or Love so do not mention them and quit mentioning them

My ideal thought for Free Agency would be sign Greg Monroe and put him next to Len. He is a good passer and a big with some good offensive skills. Len needs to stay healthy for sure though.

Another PF I would put next to Len with good offensive skills would be Kanter. I remember I said we should of traded for him and everyone laughed me off the board! He would be a good fit next to LEN.

If we cannot get one of those I liked someones suggestion if the Knicks get 2nd pick. Trade Bledsoe and #13 for #2. Not sure if that is enough but we can get Okafor if he is available and that would be a good fit next to LEN.

If we can pull off the Bledsoe trade then I recommend the following a contract

Tier 1:

Butler
Middleton

Tier 2:

Mathews
Afflalo

Imagine the team for example with any scenario mentioned.

w/ Greg Monroe

Bledsoe
Knight
Warren/Tucker
Monroe
Len

w/ Kantar

Bledsoe
Knight
Warren/Tucker
Kantar
Len

w/ Bledsoe to Knicks (If Possible) and any of the tiers mentioned

Knight
Butler/Middleton/Mathews/Afflalo
Warren/Tucker
Okafor
Len

Those are good lineups to build around and we would be young!
SSOL
Bench Warmer
And1: 436

Post#1025 » by SSOL » Sat May 2, 2015 2:25 pm

Between Marion and Frye, we had three Western Conference Finals teams with a stretch four. Marion was a 4 and Amare a 5 on the D'Antoni teams. frye was the stretch with Amare once Marion went away. I would say we were pretty successful with a four who was a threat to shoot the three.
Cutter
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1026 » by Cutter » Sat May 2, 2015 5:14 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Mr-Al wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
If Bledsoe can become 75% of the player KJ was, I will be very happy. I haven't witnessed a Sun that had a bigger will to win and stepped up huge in big games. He could score 45 and would still get 12 assists.

He's just trying to suck up to the fans/FO so he doesn't get traded on draft night lol

I don't care if he is traded, if it is for proper value, but I don't think you get proper value for PGs these days given the depth in the league. I think Markieff is by far our best trade asset right now, but that leaves us empty at PF. But personally I'm ok keeping him because he is extremely valuable on his contract, but if we do, we need to deal his bro unless they can become model citizens and work hard without thinking the league is against them, but I don't think this is likely to keep them both and expect them to change their habits. Negative energy feeds and is contagious, and that is not good.
I'm ok keeping Markieff as well, but if we did then Marcus needs to definitely go. I would like to get a starting 4 with PF/C skills and size. New PF/Len/Markieff all play 32 minutes per night while covering both positions. Keef comes off the bench and plays against opposing bench players where he has shown he can be dominant. This phantom PF with both PF/C skills would also be able to stretch the floor, rebound and play high level defense. Not many (as in none) PFs have this all round skill set. Love can stretch and rebound, but atrocious defense. Ibaka can rim protect and block shots, but can't stretch. Markieff is average in stretch, rebounds and defense. Not great, just average. Sometimes average is the best you can get. Keep one twin, Markieff.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#1027 » by Frank Lee » Sat May 2, 2015 11:04 pm

I agree with NoKnee.... why the love affair with the 'stretch four' .... San Ant doesn't have one, Clips don't, Memphis doesn't, I wouldn't consider LMA a stretcher.... it isn't an end all to success.

I just fear that Sarver believes the hype of the run and gun will sell tickets and has surrounded himself with a likeminded chucker loving staff. Sh*tcan this multi PG line up and go traditional with some real two way players. And quit being hypocrites uttering the 'suns character' lines while doing everything they can/could to rugsweep the problems they had with this team.
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1028 » by bwgood77 » Sun May 3, 2015 1:41 am

Cutter wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Mr-Al wrote:
He's just trying to suck up to the fans/FO so he doesn't get traded on draft night lol

I don't care if he is traded, if it is for proper value, but I don't think you get proper value for PGs these days given the depth in the league. I think Markieff is by far our best trade asset right now, but that leaves us empty at PF. But personally I'm ok keeping him because he is extremely valuable on his contract, but if we do, we need to deal his bro unless they can become model citizens and work hard without thinking the league is against them, but I don't think this is likely to keep them both and expect them to change their habits. Negative energy feeds and is contagious, and that is not good.
I'm ok keeping Markieff as well, but if we did then Marcus needs to definitely go. I would like to get a starting 4 with PF/C skills and size. New PF/Len/Markieff all play 32 minutes per night while covering both positions. Keef comes off the bench and plays against opposing bench players where he has shown he can be dominant. This phantom PF with both PF/C skills would also be able to stretch the floor, rebound and play high level defense. Not many (as in none) PFs have this all round skill set. Love can stretch and rebound, but atrocious defense. Ibaka can rim protect and block shots, but can't stretch. Markieff is average in stretch, rebounds and defense. Not great, just average. Sometimes average is the best you can get. Keep one twin, Markieff.

If Minnesota somehow drops to four, there is a decent chance they take Porzingis there, which could make Adreian Payne available. Not that he was highly sought after by everyone here, but he could probably be a decent stretch four. Of course we all like Vonleh too.

It might be good for McD to focus on guys from the last couple of years that maybe are flying under the radar or not gotten the right opportunity, particularly when so many GMs are focusing on the draft. That seems to be what McD is good at. Well, either that, or Hornacek is such a great coach that he gets every ounce of possible talent out of players making fans think our team is awesome, and then when they regress a bit because they were overachieving, all fans want Horny's head.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1029 » by bwgood77 » Sun May 3, 2015 1:46 am

Frank Lee wrote:I agree with NoKnee.... why the love affair with the 'stretch four' .... San Ant doesn't have one, Clips don't, Memphis doesn't, I wouldn't consider LMA a stretcher.... it isn't an end all to success.

I just fear that Sarver believes the hype of the run and gun will sell tickets and has surrounded himself with a likeminded chucker loving staff. Sh*tcan this multi PG line up and go traditional with some real two way players. And quit being hypocrites uttering the 'suns character' lines while doing everything they can/could to rugsweep the problems they had with this team.

Well to mention again what I posted last night, you can go traditional inside IF you have all stars or near all stars at those positions (Gasol/ZBo, Griffin/Jordan) AND have a great defense....the Spurs traditionally stretch the floor...Diaw hangs out at the 3 pt line all the time, as do others. On occasion they play Splitter and Duncan, but not often unless they are playing teams with two bigs like in this series or vs Memphis.

But for OUR team, if you have two driving PGs, then you can't clog the lane, or you have no offense, especially if they can't shoot from outside very well. I don't understand why people think driving point guards will do fine with two bigs and two defenders hanging around the paint. If you have elite shooters at guards who don't need to drive like GS you have more options.
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#1030 » by Frank Lee » Sun May 3, 2015 2:09 am

Two point guards .... and there lies the rub
What ? Me Worry ?
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#1031 » by Frank Lee » Mon May 4, 2015 12:11 am

and BS on Diaw hanging out at the three line.... he might start there, but unless he is wide open, he drives or moves the ball. If he has a mismatch, he's backing his boy down. Diaw is not a stretch four.

I fear Sarver has his eyes on ticket sales first, and has alined himself with an inexperienced GM (once again) who thinks he can create an exciting form of basketball and actually win. IMO, McDuh just got way ahead of himself with his asset collection

It was a freaking Mess last yr, and there are a few things that still have to be cleaned up.... but if there was a team ripe for a make over, it us.
What ? Me Worry ?
letsgosuns
Veteran

Post#1032 » by letsgosuns » Mon May 4, 2015 12:43 am

The Steve Nash teams are still fresh in everyone's minds and I think the organization is trying to recapture that and it is impossible. Steve Nash was the system. You cannot do that with any other point guard. People said Ricky Rubio was the next Nash and he is not even in the same universe as Nash. Chris Paul is probably the closest thing and is still nothing like Nash. Nobody is. Nash is arguably the best pick and roll point guard ever and he had Amare who is the best finisher on the pick and roll I have ever seen. Yet that team still lost every year. No matter what the reason, whether it was injuries, horrible officiating, or simply losing to a bigger and/or better team, there is no championship banner hanging at U.S. Airways Center.

So if the Suns cannot acquire a time machine and bring back a 30 year old Nash, why do they keep trying to play the way he did? Not to mention, If Nash could not win one championship with several elite teams, why don't the Suns just try something else for once. Why don't they just say to hell with an undersized fast team. Let's get the absolute biggest players we can get and have a height advantage against other teams. Instead they are planning on having a small dual point guard backcourt again. That instantaneously puts them at a disadvantage defensively against virtually every team in basketball. Not the way I would choose to do it but hey, what do I know? I am just some fan.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,486

Post#1033 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon May 4, 2015 2:46 am

Upon reflection, I sure wish we could've gotten john henson back in the Milwaukee deal for knight. Also, the way our team played without much thought or reasoning, I kinda miss having a player like Jared Dudley on the team.

But I guess it is what is for now.... I wonder, If we were perhaps willing to take back Roy Hibbert from the pacers, could we get him in line and possibly move len to the 4 spot, also perhaps securing their lotto pick in a trade for bledsoe? I believe they would be around the 11th pick. Now of course this is no major move in the draft, But could possibly put us in a better position to package the 11th and 13th, and perhaps move into the top 6 for possibly winslow or hezonja , or even mudiay?

But most importantly, would be if we can get hibbert into reasonable form, and if len would be versatile enough for the 4 spot. Then get our shooters to help space the floor with knight at the point etc. Finally, just ship off the morri to some desperate, poorly managed east coast teams for picks, or whatever we can get for them.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#1034 » by RunDogGun » Mon May 4, 2015 6:40 pm

So is Lilard, LMA, and Mathews all up for contracts this offseason? How do they afford all three? Or do they let Mathews go, and sign Aflalo?

If we do manage to move Bledsoe for either a pick that could be used on a PF, or maybe another establish PF, would it be wise to go after Mathews, and resign Knight? Both are coming off injuries, so that could be risky, but maybe Mathews could be a vet to help bring this team together.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#1035 » by Revived » Mon May 4, 2015 7:31 pm

A guy that I would reallly like to see us go after assuming we end the 2 PG crap is Danny Green.

He's a veteran player something that Hornacek wanted. Also a very good defender and a very good shooter. He's strictly a 3 & D player but he's maybe the best one at it.

It may take some overpaying to snatch him away from SAS but I think it'd be worth it.
letsgosuns
Veteran

Post#1036 » by letsgosuns » Mon May 4, 2015 8:24 pm

SF88 wrote:A guy that I would reallly like to see us go after assuming we end the 2 PG crap is Danny Green.

He's a veteran player something that Hornacek wanted. Also a very good defender and a very good shooter. He's strictly a 3 & D player but he's maybe the best one at it.

It may take some overpaying to snatch him away from SAS but I think it'd be worth it.

I really like Danny Green but I have said before I would pass on him because he is about to turn 28. However I have changed my stance. I would go after after him even though he does not fit the core of this team's age. The Suns are in desperate need of an experienced player who has won titles. Not to mention but he is an incredible shooter. The team sorely lacks that. Although, I would not go after him to be a bench a guy. I would go after him to be the starter. That means that either Bledsoe will be traded or Knight will be let go or signed and traded. So the starting backcourt is either Bledsoe/Green or Knight/Green.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#1037 » by Revived » Mon May 4, 2015 8:27 pm

letsgosuns wrote:
SF88 wrote:A guy that I would reallly like to see us go after assuming we end the 2 PG crap is Danny Green.

I really like Danny Green but I have said before I would pass on him because he is about to turn 28. However I have changed my stance. I would go after after him even though he does not fit the core of this team's age. The Suns are in desperate need of an experienced player who has won titles. Not to mention but he is an incredible shooter. The team sorely lacks that. Although, I would not go after him to be a bench a guy. I would go after him to be the starter. That means that either Bledsoe will be traded or Knight will be let go or signed and traded. So the starting backcourt is either Bledsoe/Green or Knight/Green.

I think we need some older guys. Having young guys only works if your coach is a vocal leader.

Hornacek isn't. He himself said he doesn't have the balls to stand up to these immature players and that he wants more older players.

I think bringing in guys like Green and hopefully Millsap (after trading Morris twins) would do wonders for this toxic locker room.
letsgosuns
Veteran

Post#1038 » by letsgosuns » Mon May 4, 2015 8:50 pm

SF88 wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:

I think we need some older guys. Having young guys only works if your coach is a vocal leader.

Hornacek isn't. He himself said he doesn't have the balls to stand up to these immature players and that he wants more older players.

I think bringing in guys like Green and hopefully Millsap (after trading Morris twins) would do wonders for this toxic locker room.

Yes the Suns definitely need more veterans. If I was going to remake the Suns team, this is an idea of what I would do:

Players going out through trades or being let go: the Morris brothers, Tucker, Green, either Bledsoe or Knight

Players coming in through free agency, trades, or the draft: Greg Monroe, Danny Green, Jared Dudley, Amare Stoudemire and/or a re-signed Brandon Wright, maybe a re-signed Danny Granger, a rookie power forward, a rookie point guard

The Suns new lineup would be:

Bledsoe/rookie pg OR Knight/rookie pg
D. Green/Goodwin
Warren/Dudley/Granger
Monroe/Stoudemire/rookie pf
Len/Wright

That starting lineup is huge. Should be a dominant rebounding team and also have the potential to dominate defensively. Also far better shooting with Green and Warren on the wings instead of Tucker and Marcus Morris like the Suns had when Knight was injured. The bench is filled out with veterans and young players. Internally there is the potential for having all stars with all the young guys.

That is a much more balanced team. Obviously this is just an idea and there are some interchangeable pieces when it comes to the final product but you get the gist. I would love to see a team like that.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1039 » by thamadkant » Mon May 4, 2015 10:50 pm

I really like how Warriors use Draymond Green and Harrison Barnes..

Both are versatile forwards that are dynamic and doesnt rely on ISOLATION plays to contribute offensively.
Barnes can be used as a catch and shoot guy out the arc but when guarded by someone slow, he can take them on and penetrate past them. Which opens up the inside for Bogut...

Warriors have 4 players that OPEN up the paint on every given play, hence they are a nightmare matchup for most teams. I think only Spurs really can match them up in that regard with Diaw's versatility and 3 other guys who can stretch the defense.

Grizzlies can punish them in their series but without Conley... not going to happen.

Anyways for the Suns, I would consider chasing Harrison Barnes...

I think he fits better than Marcus Morris for sure. The main problem with the twins is that both tend to HOLD ON to the ball which kills ball movement and it stops the rest of the Suns team from getting some open looks because the defense has time to establish themselves.. this is one of my greatest hates on the current Suns team...

If Suns can get rid of the twins for a top 10 pick.

Sign Danny Green and Harrison Barnes.
OPTIONAL: Trade Bledsoe for another pick OR a legit Shooting Guard or versatile Shooting Guard.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#1040 » by Damkac » Mon May 4, 2015 10:52 pm

Spoiler:
bwgood77 wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:I agree with NoKnee.... why the love affair with the 'stretch four' .... San Ant doesn't have one, Clips don't, Memphis doesn't, I wouldn't consider LMA a stretcher.... it isn't an end all to success.

Well to mention again what I posted last night, you can go traditional inside IF you have all stars or near all stars at those positions (Gasol/ZBo, Griffin/Jordan) AND have a great defense....the Spurs traditionally stretch the floor...Diaw hangs out at the 3 pt line all the time, as do others. On occasion they play Splitter and Duncan, but not often unless they are playing teams with two bigs like in this series or vs Memphis.

But for OUR team, if you have two driving PGs, then you can't clog the lane, or you have no offense, especially if they can't shoot from outside very well. I don't understand why people think driving point guards will do fine with two bigs and two defenders hanging around the paint. If you have elite shooters at guards who don't need to drive like GS you have more options.

Isn't Knight more shooter than driving pg?

Spoiler:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Upon reflection, I sure wish we could've gotten john henson back in the Milwaukee deal for knight. Also, the way our team played without much thought or reasoning, I kinda miss having a player like Jared Dudley on the team.

But I guess it is what is for now.... I wonder, If we were perhaps willing to take back Roy Hibbert from the pacers, could we get him in line and possibly move len to the 4 spot, also perhaps securing their lotto pick in a trade for bledsoe? I believe they would be around the 11th pick. Now of course this is no major move in the draft, But could possibly put us in a better position to package the 11th and 13th, and perhaps move into the top 6 for possibly winslow or hezonja , or even mudiay?

But most importantly, would be if we can get hibbert into reasonable form, and if len would be versatile enough for the 4 spot. Then get our shooters to help space the floor with knight at the point etc. Finally, just ship off the morri to some desperate, poorly managed east coast teams for picks, or whatever we can get for them.

I understand not liking small ball but having frontcourt of 7-1 and 7-2 centers isn't a good idea imo. Why so many people wants Len to play out of position? He is not consistent shooter yet and I doubt he is quick enought to defend much smaller pf's. I would rather trade for West at least for his relation with TJ.

Noah Vonleh looks like a guy who McD should love. Young, long, reportedly he's hard worker. He would also fit the team needs perfectly. Charlotte barely plays him so mayby they don't value him too much? I wonder what would it take to get him. 13th may be not enought.

Return to Phoenix Suns