Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Michael Beasley and Jared Dudley must step up or step down 

Post#1 » by rsavaj » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:39 pm

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2012/ ... up-or-step

Spot-on. These two guys are killing us with their lack of production.

Coro's tidbit:

View from press row: Michael Beasley has made 20 of 71 shots in the past five games. If a guy is taking 14 shots per game and shooting 28 percent, he ought to be playing great defense. He is not. But P.J. Tucker is. The Suns once again emerge from the depths of blowout range largely because of what Tucker’s intensity on defense and the boards does contagiously for a team. Paired with Sebastian Telfair, no team’s lead is safe.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Re: Michael Beasley and Jared Dudley must step up or step do 

Post#2 » by Frank Lee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Its not who starts, but who finishes.

You know neither can say anything when they are pining it as the game winds down, and their 'subs' are playing hard and producing. It has to be killing Dudley. Remember the talk of 'building' with him ??? Captain JD ? You have to think his shot will start dropping. But he still lacks the speed to be an effective defender when there is a dynamic scorer to cover. Beasley ? he is used to it, and it likely doesnt bother him at all.

May be Gentry will be able to reach SleepyBeas and find another gear.... but... know one else has. This is where a dude like GHill would come in handy... or use a little more gruffness like Shaq did when he almost made LOWpez cry. Perhaps GAM (grown ass man) ought to get on him.
What ? Me Worry ?
ShawnBronald
Sixth Man
And1: 365

Post#3 » by ShawnBronald » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 pm

I think Beasley and Dudley are both just trying to hard. Dudley seems to think he has to be the new Nash and Hill. Wrong. He just needs to be the same Jared Dudley we've had the past few seasons. If he's playing defense and draining shots, he's doing what we need. Instead, he's trying to be a 'leader' or 'captain'. That's not something you try to be, that's something you become. I thought he did that pretty well over the last few seasons, but now that he's trying, he's failing.

For Beasley, I think he wants to do good and show his new team and fanbase that he was worth the offseason signing. Also, at times, I think he feels left out on offense so when he does get the ball, he thinks he needs to do something spectacular. If he could move better without the ball and be in a better spot when receiving it, I'm positive his numbers would go up. Last night, he had some great dunks when driving right to the rim. Usually, though, he either puts up a terrible shot from long range or tries to do something fancy near the rim which results in a missed bucket or an easy block.

Everyone on this team just needs to play within their own game instead of trying to do more than they're capable of doing. Once they learn that, we'll start seeing better, more consistent results on the court.
EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#4 » by EB2 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Its not who starts, but who finishes.

You know neither can say anything when they are pining it as the game winds down, and their 'subs' are playing hard and producing. It has to be killing Dudley. Remember the talk of 'building' with him ??? Captain JD ? You have to think his shot will start dropping. But he still lacks the speed to be an effective defender when there is a dynamic scorer to cover. Beasley ? he is used to it, and it likely doesnt bother him at all.

May be Gentry will be able to reach SleepyBeas and find another gear.... but... know one else has. This is where a dude like GHill would come in handy... or use a little more gruffness like Shaq did when he almost made LOWpez cry. Perhaps GAM (grown ass man) ought to get on him.

I agree about the Grant Hill part. His defense and shooting would have been more valuable than Beasley has been at all this year.
Biscotti
Junior
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Biscotti » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:46 pm

I think this one has to do with coaching. I beleive our modified D'Antoni system needs spacing (and athletes) to be effective.

Let's discuss spacing first.

Gortat/Scola/Beasley constitutes a logjam on offense. I really wish we had Frye (I never thought I would say such a thing). Gortat/Frye/Beasley, would allow Beasley and Gortat space to operate, and Scola would be one hell of a super-sub. Dudley is not a SG. He is a SF, simply due to lack of athletic ability. He cannot cover athletic 2 guards. Dragic is a great slasher, and a decent 3 point shooter....for him to be most effective he needs another slasher, and 3 point shooter playing with him. He really doesn't in the starting lineup. Beasley is a mismatch 4. For Beas to be most effective on offense, he needs space to operate. Every game I've watch thus far, he has become a spot up jumpshooter....which really isn't his game. On defense, he needs an athletic defensive center (which we have), and a tall athletic 3 point shooting 3. I thought that could be Wes Johnson, but like many of you I have yet to see him play.

Defensive spacing. Beasley is not a defensive 3 (or really defensive anything....did any of us watch Barkley though?). Paired with Gortat, and Scola he become considerbly less effective on defense. He will never be able to cover athletic small forwards. Dudley next to him only makes this problem worse, as Dudley isn't able to stay with his athletic 2. Help D from what I've seen thus far is almost hilarious with this lineup. Gortat, and Drago are the only players that can defend effectively at their position.

This is what I think needs to happen with our current lineup.

Play Drago/Brown/Johnson/Beasley/Gortat to start. Run the hell out of the other team. There are very few teams that would be able to keep pace with that lineup. Then at around the 5 minute mark in the first quarter put in Marshall in at point (or Telfair if you feel like not developing your pick), keep Dragic at 2, sub in Dudley at 3, p and put in Morris at 4. Marshall/Dragic/Dudley/Morris/Gortat. Still run. At the 2 minute mark sub Scola in for Gortat, and Tucker in for Dragic. That gives you Marshall/Dudley/Tucker/Morris/Scola. Generally speaking the back up center for the oposing team should be fresh meat for Scola. Slow it down and run the offense through Scola. Rince and repeat.

We will have a very difficult time beating anyone in the West if we don't try to run them out of the building. Will we win 50 or 60 games. Probably not. Will we be fun to watch. Yes! Will free agents to be take note of that. I think so. As it currently stands, I wouldn't want to play in Phoenix.

I hope Gentry can find some balance with his lineups.....
GrantHill
Veteran
And1: 74

Post#6 » by GrantHill » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Beasley is one of the worst players on the Phoenix Suns in a long time. Can't remember someone having more negative impact on a team than him. Terrible.
Hill on Nash going to the Lakers: “That’s like transferring from Duke and going to Carolina.”
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,356

Post#7 » by sunskerr » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Its not who starts, but who finishes.

Obviously but when you start down ~20 points, then it matters who starts.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#8 » by Saberestar » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

John Gambadoro‏@Gambo620
Trying to decide if Michael 2-for-13 Beasley is the worst signing since Marcus Banks or Terry Porter?

John Gambadoro‏@Gambo620
This game was over the second Scola fouled out and they were forced to put Beasley back in.

I think Gamdo does not like Beasley at all .... :lol:
Jodi
Banned User

Post#9 » by Jodi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 am

Piston fan here, I come in peace...What would it take to get Beasley?? I know he just signed with the Suns this summer, but is there any chance he'll become available during the deadline??
RunSunRun
Veteran
And1: 722

Post#10 » by RunSunRun » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:11 am

Jodi wrote:Piston fan here, I come in peace...What would it take to get Beasley?? I know he just signed with the Suns this summer, but is there any chance he'll become available during the deadline??

What brand of chips and 6-pack of beer are you willing to give us?
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#11 » by Saberestar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:06 am

Beasley for Prince? I would do it in a second.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,630

Post#12 » by Calvin Klein » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 am

Jodi wrote:Piston fan here, I come in peace...What would it take to get Beasley?? I know he just signed with the Suns this summer, but is there any chance he'll become available during the deadline??

I'll take a second rounder.
phrazbit
Sixth Man
And1: 649

Post#13 » by phrazbit » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:54 am

Michael Beasley and one of the Lakers 1sts for a conditional 2nd round pick.

And trust me... the Pistons will be getting screwed.
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#14 » by DRK » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:10 am

I do agree that both of them need to lift their game, but I'm willing to give Beasley the benefit of the doubt here. The coaching staff has told him he has the green light to shoot swhenever he wants to. So he does just that and it just so happens that he is in a shooting slump.I am confident that he will break out of it.

10 games into the season, on a new team, with new teammates, and a new environment, it's going to take some time for Beasley to carve out himself a niche here. We must be patient with him. Ultimately, I have every confidence that he will become a great player for our Phoenix Suns. Quite frankly, I find the calls for trading him quite ridiculous. But this is a discussion board, and I'll respect your opinion, no matter how preposterous it may be.

Dudley however, is a player I am not patient with. At all. How long has it been since our trip to the Western Conference Finals? A few years? Since then, Dudley has done absolutely NOTHING to show me that he: A: has improved on his game****, and B: deserves to get the starting role. Based on his production now, and last season, he hasnt shown me anything that warrants him even getting 20minuutes a night of game time. Pull your finger outta your ass Dudley.

**** Dudley learning to cut and drive to the basket does not equate to "improving his game" He is most effective as a spot up shooter
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,356

Post#15 » by sunskerr » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:43 am

I wouldn't mind starting Shannon over Dudley if he keeps attacking the rim. I'm really disappointed that Dudley's hustle has gone down the drain. Shannon is better at finishing in transition and drawing fouls. The downside is that he stops moving the ball a lot just like Beasley. I wish they could just get their offense in the flow of things (excuse me for being vague their) and not have to dribble the ball and isolate.
phrazbit
Sixth Man
And1: 649

Post#16 » by phrazbit » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:45 am

I just dont get how you could not have patience with Dudley but preach that Beasley deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Dudley has been a good player here for the last few years and recovered from a slow start last year. While Beasley has been an awful player for his entire career. Even when he manages to "get his" on offense, it comes at the expense of his own teams offensive flow. And he might as well not run back on defense because at least then his team would know they are 4 on 5 instead of getting caught off guard by Beasley's disappearing act.

Beasley is a bad NBA player. Period. He has never been good, he would have to fundamentally change both on offense and on defense just for him to become usable, because right now every minute he plays he dramatically decreases his teams chances of victory.

Minnesota tried hard to trade Beasley, found no takers. Most of the league knows what he is and any half decent front office wouldnt even take him on a minimum deal. His lazy stupid play is a disease. I know it wouldnt happen but the Suns would literally be better of waiving him tomorrow and eating his entire contract. At least then they are paying him to stay home rather than paying him to make the Suns awful and unwatchable.
schnakenpopanz
General Manager
And1: 2,586

Post#17 » by schnakenpopanz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:43 am

beasley for prince or maggette. pleaaaaaaaaaaaase
free steve nash!
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,346

Post#18 » by Revived » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:52 am

phrazbit wrote:

Michael Beasley and one of the Lakers 1sts for a conditional 2nd round pick.

Thank god your not the GM :lol:
Jodi
Banned User

Post#19 » by Jodi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:18 am

schnakenpopanz wrote:beasley for prince or maggette. pleaaaaaaaaaaaase

phrazbit wrote:Michael Beasley and one of the Lakers 1sts for a conditional 2nd round pick.

Calvin Klein wrote:I'll take a second rounder.

Saberestar wrote:Beasley for Prince? I would do it in a second.

RunSunRun wrote:What brand of chips and 6-pack of beer are you willing to give us?

:rofl2: :rofl2: The Pistons could probably work something out if all we need to offer is Budweiser, Sour Cream & Onion chips, injury prone Maggette, or a 2nd rounder...
EB2
Rookie

Post#20 » by EB2 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:09 am

Jodi wrote:
:rofl2: :rofl2: The Pistons could probably work something out if all we need to offer is Budweiser, Sour Cream & Onion chips, injury prone Maggette, or a 2nd rounder...

I'll take your damn garbage if you take Beasley from us.

Return to Phoenix Suns