ImageImageImage

Why is Beasley not playing?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Re: Why is Beasley not playing? 

Post#61 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:57 pm

I've been saying all year, we need to run plays for guys. Trying to fit these guys into whatever offense Gentry is trying, has been terrible all season. We have guys with skills, but one on one iso plays is not one of them. Unless either Brown or Beasley can't miss, they both are completely useless in this offense.

I wouldn't mind reinserting Beasley into the starting lineup (as long as Brown gets moved to the bench as part of the move) and have the plays for him be run by Scola. If Brown stays while Dudley is out, then we need to run a few plays for him using Tucker as a screener. That one back door cut Brown made the other night is one of them. The pass was from Goran, but it also could easily be made by Scola. The key to the play will be movement, which many here have wanted if they were the coach in that thread. The other play for Brown is coming off the screen with a jumpshot around the elbow. Those are Brown's best plays. Once he tries to iso, it's over, unless he can't miss, which is quite rare.

It seems pretty simple. Run plays for the current roster, and have continual movement, with tons of off the ball screens to free guys up.
phrazbit
Sixth Man
And1: 649

Post#62 » by phrazbit » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:24 pm

RunDogGun wrote:I've been saying all year, we need to run plays for guys. Trying to fit these guys into whatever offense Gentry is trying, has been terrible all season. We have guys with skills, but one on one iso plays is not one of them. Unless either Brown or Beasley can't miss, they both are completely useless in this offense.

I wouldn't mind reinserting Beasley into the starting lineup (as long as Brown gets moved to the bench as part of the move) and have the plays for him be run by Scola. If Brown stays while Dudley is out, then we need to run a few plays for him using Tucker as a screener. That one back door cut Brown made the other night is one of them. The pass was from Goran, but it also could easily be made by Scola. The key to the play will be movement, which many here have wanted if they were the coach in that thread. The other play for Brown is coming off the screen with a jumpshot around the elbow. Those are Brown's best plays. Once he tries to iso, it's over, unless he can't miss, which is quite rare.

It seems pretty simple. Run plays for the current roster, and have continual movement, with tons of off the ball screens to free guys up.

You cant play that way with Beasley in the game. He will not ever be the type of player to get the ball and get rid of it quickly and keep the flow going as it should, he gets, holds... holds... holds... and destroys the any type of rhythm a motion offense has.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#63 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:07 pm

phrazbit wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:I've been saying all year, we need to run plays for guys. Trying to fit these guys into whatever offense Gentry is trying, has been terrible all season. We have guys with skills, but one on one iso plays is not one of them. Unless either Brown or Beasley can't miss, they both are completely useless in this offense.

You cant play that way with Beasley in the game. He will not ever be the type of player to get the ball and get rid of it quickly and keep the flow going as it should, he gets, holds... holds... holds... and destroys the any type of rhythm a motion offense has.

What? I was going off BSotS's comment on using Beasley as a finisher. Not sure where you based your comment on, other than constantly trying to say the opposite of what I say. :roll:
phrazbit
Sixth Man

Post#64 » by phrazbit » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
What? I was going off BSotS's comment on using Beasley as a finisher. Not sure where you based your comment on, other than constantly trying to say the opposite of what I say. :roll:

I am not ripping you, I am just saying that isnt Beasley, he is not going to play that way. You try to run set plays with Beasley on the court and unless those plays dont involve him touching the ball at any point then his instinct to hold the ball is going to sabotage any motion offense.

We had a similar situation with Vince Carter here, except Carter was a far better one on one player than Beasley. But Carter could not operate in the flow of the offense. The ball hit his hands and froze there, the offensive scheme in place (especially with Nash on the court) went into the tank. Beasley thinks he is Kevin Durant... just in a 5 year slump. When really he is a homeless man's Jason Terry... just in Rashard Lewis' body.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#65 » by phx#7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Yeah, expecting Beasley to suddenly start playing effectively off the ball, something he has never done is an exercise in futility. Beasley is a ball dominant volume scorer with poor efficiency. Granted his efficiency hasn't always been as terrible as it is this year, but that's all he's ever been.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#66 » by Saberestar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 am

Q&A: Phoenix Coach Alvin Gentry on the Suns' Struggles and Michael Beasley

(Extract)

Gentry:"It’s all a process with him. There are just a lot of things — some on-court stuff, some off-court stuff. He’s had a great attitude. It’s just one of those situations where he has to continue to work at it, to continue to explore what does he have to do to be successful — not just on the court, but off the court. He’ll continue to work at it. He’s had a great attitude."

Zach Lowe:
It can mean almost anything when coaches point to “off-court” problems. Can you elaborate at all?

Gentry:"I can’t elaborate on it. I think Michael has a good idea, and most of us have a good idea of some areas he has to work on. But we keep that in-house."

Interesting....

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... el-beasley
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#67 » by DRK » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:40 am

phx#7 wrote:Yeah, expecting Beasley to suddenly start playing effectively off the ball, something he has never done is an exercise in futility. Beasley is a ball dominant volume scorer with poor efficiency. Granted his efficiency hasn't always been as terrible as it is this year, but that's all he's ever been.

There's nothing hard about running him off screens and finding him on cuts. If you run the play for him, he will deliver.

The reason why he holds the ball so damn long is because all year, I can't recall ONE play run for him, except for isolations and catch and shoot threes.

Like RDG said, and I stated in OP, run him off screens and he will finish for you. He's too talented not to.
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
phrazbit
Sixth Man

Post#68 » by phrazbit » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:14 am

DRK wrote:
phx#7 wrote:Yeah, expecting Beasley to suddenly start playing effectively off the ball, something he has never done is an exercise in futility. Beasley is a ball dominant volume scorer with poor efficiency. Granted his efficiency hasn't always been as terrible as it is this year, but that's all he's ever been.

There's nothing hard about running him off screens and finding him on cuts. If you run the play for him, he will deliver.

The reason why he holds the ball so damn long is because all year, I can't recall ONE play run for him, except for isolations and catch and shoot threes.

Like RDG said, and I stated in OP, run him off screens and he will finish for you. He's too talented not to.

He wont deliever though. Its not that simple. We have ran a ton of screens for Beasley, if you think he does not get screens then you're blind. The problem is he runs the screen he has the ball... and he stops. He does not catch and shoot, he catches and holds. You cant run set plays for a guy that once the ball gets in his hands he stops, its hard to run set plays for ANYONE while a player like that is on the court.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#69 » by rsavaj » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:39 am

DRK wrote:

I think it's a little absurd to say that we've never seen any plays run for Beasley. Just because you haven't seen him FINISH any plays doesn't mean we haven't run them.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#70 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:10 am

Perhaps we need to dumb down the plays even more. I've seen us trying to free him up with screens, he gets the ball, hesitates and goes back to his natural instincts of playing 1v1.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#71 » by RunDogGun » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:53 am

It really all depends on where that play gets him the ball. Yes in our terrible offense, getting the ball twenty-two feet from the basket isn't good for either Beasley or Brown, except for when they can't miss. Our offense śucks.

However, from what I saw in Chi, the more movement from the team, the better we played. I don't know if that was a coaching move, or guys just deciding to move more. I don't think any of us are thinking a twenty point a night guy in Beasley. But if the team is going to continue to play him, he could be used better.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#72 » by Frank Lee » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:33 am

Gentry:"I can’t elaborate on it. I think Michael has a good idea, and most of us have a good idea of some areas he has to work on. But we keep that in-house."

The direct response to 'off the court' adjustments.... You think the Beas is still a mad puffer ? Is he not doing his homework ? Do we have a full blown Spicoli on our hands ?
What ? Me Worry ?
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,077

Post#73 » by RaisingArizona » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:21 pm

1 game of efficiency followed by 10 games of chucking and amare-esque defense.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#74 » by Fo-Real » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 pm

ginobiliflops wrote:1 game of efficiency followed by 10 games of chucking and amare-esque defense.

Thats the kind of thinking that is seeping into the players too, Scola said its like even when things are going right, it seems like they all just expect it will go south and are kind of waiting for the let down. That is a prime example of a looser attitude, you nailed it. Typical guy in the corner who is constantly yelling at everyone else that you shouldnt have hope, its going to fail anyway, like you actually hope your own team sucks, like it makes you feel better. I choose to hope it is the start of him adjusting to our system and players, and vise versa (them adjusting to him), and if not fine... but I HOPE it is. He also threw a few nice passes yesterday, a couple that butterfinger Gortat couldnt handle. Beasly has played with more confidence and faster the last couple games, I HOPE it continues.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#75 » by Fo-Real » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Frank Lee wrote:

The direct response to 'off the court' adjustments.... You think the Beas is still a mad puffer ? Is he not doing his homework ? Do we have a full blown Spicoli on our hands ?

Yes he still smokes weed.... No he isnt watching film, and if he is he should focus more on his own film than the competitors.... He is playing faster and more aggressive more confidence and if he watches the recent film and learns from them he will get better. THAT WORD WAS IF!!!
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#76 » by rsavaj » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Suns.com rolled out a new "player section" today....look which three players are presented as the "faces" of the franchise

http://www.nba.com/suns/2012-13-suns-player-section
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,077

Post#77 » by RaisingArizona » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:27 am

poor, Kieff :(
phrazbit
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by phrazbit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:26 pm

rsavaj wrote:Suns.com rolled out a new "player section" today....look which three players are presented as the "faces" of the franchise

http://www.nba.com/suns/2012-13-suns-player-section

Its insulting the way the keep pushing him on the fan base. Have you noticed in the awful "All for Orange" adds he is the only player to get mentioned by name?

At least FoxAZ wised up and has dumped him entirely from their "winning formula" commercials.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#79 » by Saberestar » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Suns forward Michael Beasley, after missing two of his first free-throw attempts off the side of the rim, walked down the lane, stared up at the iron and shook his head. “I had to scare the gremlins away,” he said. “Those gremlins are always messing with me.” :o :roll:
http://www.nba.com/games/20130114/OKCPH ... ef:nbahpgt[0021200562]
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#80 » by ash_k » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Good for B-Easy , Alvin is finally gone!
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.

Return to Phoenix Suns