ImageImageImage

2014 Official FA Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

SunsFan1234
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: 2014 Official FA Thread 

Post#541 » by SunsFan1234 » Wed Apr 2, 2014 7:43 pm

Kaioken wrote:Dragic will be 29 when he declines his Player Option right? The highest I'd offer him would be a frontloaded deal around 44-45 M for 4 Years.

1. Year 12.25 M
2. Year 11.50 M
3. Year 10.75 M
4. Year 10.00 M

That seems fair. If possible Bledsoe should get a similar contract or a slighter higher paid contract.

No player would ever front load their contract like that.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#542 » by NTB » Sun Apr 6, 2014 10:20 am

What is our chance to get Omer Asik with giving Frye + 1st round pick(s). And sign with Bosh.

Bledsoe
Dragic
Tucker
Bosh
Asik

Green
Morrii
Plumlee
Shavlik

Dream team.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#543 » by DRK » Sun Apr 6, 2014 10:47 am

SunsFan1234 wrote:
1UPZ wrote:I'd be fine with Dragic's deal as follows
10 Million base
+1 Million for All-Star
+1 Million for All NBA
+1 Million for All NBA Defensive
+1 Million for top 5 MVP

If he performs at an Super star level, he gets paid like one...

This should be on all contracts... base + rewards, just like most real world jobs.

He would decline that and some other team would offer $12 million + incentives.

I dont think he wants to leave Phoenix for a second time. We got some leverage here
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,197

Post#544 » by King4Day » Mon Apr 7, 2014 3:59 pm

SunsFan1234 wrote:
Kaioken wrote:Dragic will be 29 when he declines his Player Option right? The highest I'd offer him would be a frontloaded deal around 44-45 M for 4 Years.

1. Year 12.25 M
2. Year 11.50 M
3. Year 10.75 M
4. Year 10.00 M

That seems fair. If possible Bledsoe should get a similar contract or a slighter higher paid contract.

No player would ever front load their contract like that.

Is that allowed? I thought, even if you do this, the cap is still divided evenly over the years.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#545 » by Frank Lee » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:33 pm

Nic Collison did something like that, but I think it was with a hefty signing bonus. It was a front loaded deal though.

We need to pull off a trade or sign a FA to really improve this team. The draft isn't going to make us that much better next yr. You just don't find many impact rookies from the teens on. Relying on Goodwin and Len improve considerably is a long shot. Even If we retain both Tucker and Bled, we still need another talented piece. Pickens are slim. McDo has some work to do.

What ? Me Worry ?
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#546 » by JDLAW » Tue Apr 8, 2014 6:52 pm

NTB wrote:What is our chance to get Omer Asik with giving Frye + 1st round pick(s). And sign with Bosh.

Bledsoe
Dragic
Tucker
Bosh
Asik

Green
Morrii
Plumlee
Shavlik

Dream team.

Chances are very low; particularly trading Frye for Asik. The Suns are not going to pay Asik $15M for 2014-15 and give up assets also. I doubt the Suns will take Asik's contract regardless of other compensation. They are invested in Plumlee and Len as their future centers and $15M for Asik puts a huge dent in the finances!
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#547 » by NTB » Tue Apr 8, 2014 7:01 pm

JDLAW wrote:
NTB wrote:What is our chance to get Omer Asik with giving Frye + 1st round pick(s). And sign with Bosh.

Bledsoe
Dragic
Tucker
Bosh
Asik

Green
Morrii
Plumlee
Shavlik

Dream team.

Chances are very low; particularly trading Frye for Asik. The Suns are not going to pay Asik $15M for 2014-15 and give up assets also. I doubt the Suns will take Asik's contract regardless of other compensation. They are invested in Plumlee and Len as their future centers and $15M for Asik puts a huge dent in the finances!

But it is only 8m for team. +7m is for Sarver.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
JDLAW

Post#548 » by JDLAW » Tue Apr 8, 2014 7:15 pm

Nonsense. Sarver is not the only owner/investor in the Suns. it is $8M on that cap which is an artificial number. It is $15M from the Suns to Asik.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,357

Post#549 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 12:08 am

I can understand investors not wanting to pay $15 million. I don't know if I would trade Frye for him (it makes some sense for both teams, particularly for Houston) but we need a stretch four too.

But Asik does make us better and he's exactly the type of player we need. I guess it depends on what is more important to the owners. Being more competitive or making a bigger profit.
JDLAW

Post#550 » by JDLAW » Wed Apr 9, 2014 1:51 am

bwgood77 wrote:I can understand investors not wanting to pay $15 million. I don't know if I would trade Frye for him (it makes some sense for both teams, particularly for Houston) but we need a stretch four too.

But Asik does make us better and he's exactly the type of player we need. I guess it depends on what is more important to the owners. Being more competitive or making a bigger profit.

What if the $7M means breaking even as opposed to operating in the red? What if the $7M spent on him means the team does not have enough cash to acquire a more useful free agent without losing money?

The Suns are winning over 70% of their games when Bledsoe and Dragic start. That translates to 56-58 wins. When healthy, the team is very competitive - near elite status.

They could use some front court help, but I seriously doubt they want to bring in a $15M 28 year old role player (Asik) who is offensively challenged and has just 30 blocked shots for the year. He averages remarkably few blocks considering his reputation as a rim protector. Everyone is getting excited because he has had an excellent 5 game run where he has averaged 12 ppg and 17rpg, but his body of work this year and last does not warrant a $15M expenditure even if it is just for a year. I do not see the Suns taking this on and giving up assets to Houston for the "privilege" of doing so unless he is good enough to deliver a championship (he is not).

The Suns have two centers in Plumlee and Len who are developing and should be better able to make significant contributions next year. They are far less expensive (1/4 the cost of Asik) and because of their relative youth they should have an longer impact on the Suns than Asik. Acquiring Asik, who would be a free agent at the end of the year delays the development of Dragic an Len for at least a year - maybe longer. That is not something I wish to see.

I happen to be optimistic about the development of Len and Plumlee and do not see the need to spend $15M on Asik much less send Houston draft choices and/or players for the 'privilege' of doing so.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,150

Post#551 » by Revived » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:24 am

JDLAW wrote:Nonsense. Sarver is not the only owner/investor in the Suns. it is $8M on that cap which is an artificial number. It is $15M from the Suns to Asik.

The cap hit is what matters. Do you really feel bad for a millionare giving up $7 million more to make the team more competitive which in return will bring more people to games.

And Frye makes $7M so technically Sarver and his investors ould only be paying $8M more for Asik.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#552 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:34 am

I've been fairly high on Asik before the last five games, and thought as opposed to getting Gasol, Asik might be more helpful this year.

As for trading for him at this point, I would hesitate trading Frye or anyone for him. So I am not necessarily advocating doing so. I don't want to give up picks either. I do think he would be a good player to have though.

As far as operating in the red as opposed to breaking even, that's hard to project next year, if he helps propel the team into 6-8 home playoff games as opposed to maybe finishing 9th again. But whether it is making $3 million vs $10 million or breaking even vs losing $7 million, it still comes down to what is important. Breaking even or making your team better.

We are not the only team that has dealt with injuries either. Golden State missed Iguodala for a long time and now Lee and Bogut, LAC missed Paul and Redick, SA missed Leonard and Parker, OKC missed Westbrook and Thabo, Houston is missing Beverly, and Memphis missed Gasol. All of these teams could have much better records, particularly Memphis.

Personally, I don't know if it's worth it to get Asik at this point. Before the trade deadline I talked about taking him on when he was making $5 million with a bigger cap hit to propel us into the playoffs and thought he might be tradeable in the final year of a contract, particularly to a team that didn't care about money as much. At this point I don't really care, but I think he makes the team much better defensively. I'd be fine either way, but I do think he makes the team better for a year, and would have been worth it this year where we could have traded for him and saved money because the outgoing cash was less than the cap hit.

I have no idea how much Plumlee and/or Len will develop in the future. They should get that opportunity, but like Goodwin, they should earn it before they automatically get playing time. I want them to develop, but this team wants to compete now and I think most of the fans do by this point.
JDLAW

Post#553 » by JDLAW » Wed Apr 9, 2014 4:14 am

SF88 wrote:
JDLAW wrote:Nonsense. Sarver is not the only owner/investor in the Suns. it is $8M on that cap which is an artificial number. It is $15M from the Suns to Asik.

The cap hit is what matters. Do you really feel bad for a millionare giving up $7 million more to make the team more competitive which in return will bring more people to games.

And Frye makes $7M so technically Sarver and his investors ould only be paying $8M more for Asik.

The cap hit matters, but so does the total expenditure, perhaps more than the cap hit. I do not feel bad for Sarver, but I also realize it is not incumbent upon him to lose money to entertain you. I am pointing out that this team has been competitive this year and if Bledsoe had played the entire season instead of missing 10 weeks this team would likely have a record that would place in near elite status. The other point is more subtle and might have been lost on you and that is, diminishing returns. This team is likely to win 48-50 games. It might make the playoffs. Are you guaranteeing that a trade of Frye for Asik will get the Suns to the next plateau? I do not think you can do that and I do not think the Suns would be willing to spend $15M for Asik to find out.
MilotheSlayer
Senior
And1: 261

Post#554 » by MilotheSlayer » Wed Apr 9, 2014 5:43 am

The more I think about it the more I like Bosh on the team. He was an animal when he was the guy in the post. I think he'd fit well with both Frye and Plumlee so the starting lineup could be interchanged. I dont like the idea of bringing in 3 more rookies on this team. We just don't have enough playing time to go around. I'd like to see us move some picks and maybe get a pick in the future from a desparate team that needs to do something (Knicks, Lakers, Cavs?) maybe stash someone overseas.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#555 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 4:05 pm

MilotheSlayer wrote:The more I think about it the more I like Bosh on the team. He was an animal when he was the guy in the post. I think he'd fit well with both Frye and Plumlee so the starting lineup could be interchanged. I dont like the idea of bringing in 3 more rookies on this team. We just don't have enough playing time to go around. I'd like to see us move some picks and maybe get a pick in the future from a desparate team that needs to do something (Knicks, Lakers, Cavs?) maybe stash someone overseas.

I think most everyone would like to have Bosh, but there is a 99% chance he is staying in Miami.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,150

Post#556 » by Revived » Wed Apr 9, 2014 5:25 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
MilotheSlayer wrote:The more I think about it the more I like Bosh on the team. He was an animal when he was the guy in the post. I think he'd fit well with both Frye and Plumlee so the starting lineup could be interchanged. I dont like the idea of bringing in 3 more rookies on this team. We just don't have enough playing time to go around. I'd like to see us move some picks and maybe get a pick in the future from a desparate team that needs to do something (Knicks, Lakers, Cavs?) maybe stash someone overseas.

I think most everyone would like to have Bosh, but there is a 99% chance he is staying in Miami.

Dont be so sure, I think he will leave cause he doesn't want to be Wade & 'Bron's shadows anymore.

He got his rings. Now it's time to go be the #1 or #2 somewhere.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#557 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Apr 9, 2014 5:44 pm

He sure is sending signals that he is staying.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/chris-bosh
http://nba.si.com/2014/03/26/lebron-jam ... ee-agency/

Of course, things can change, but it doesn't look good right now.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#558 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 6:26 pm

Also, if we keep everyone and Tucker and Bledsoe get reasonable offers, we won't have the cap space to sign Bosh (if he wants his max) even if he does decide to leave.
JDLAW

Post#559 » by JDLAW » Wed Apr 9, 2014 7:47 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Also, if we keep everyone and Tucker and Bledsoe get reasonable offers, we won't have the cap space to sign Bosh (if he wants his max) even if he does decide to leave.

I think we do have cap space for a max contract, but only if the timing is right. That means Bledsoe and Tucker's new contracts are not completed until after the free agent signing. Their cap holds are low enough ($6.9M and $1.8M) that a max contract or very close to it could be carved out if there is a delay in signing Bledsoe and Tucker. That of course goes out the window if one or both return with a signed offer sheet early in the free agent process. Returning with an unsigned offer sheet could trigger the perfectly legal arrangement in that the Suns tell Bledsoe or Tucker (or both) they will match the terms of the unsigned offer sheet, but they want to try to sign another free agent and ask them to wait. The team extending the offer would likely withdraw it after realize it is being used for leverage, but so what. The player gets the salary and the Suns get a chance to play in the free agent market.
MilotheSlayer
Senior
And1: 261

Post#560 » by MilotheSlayer » Wed Apr 9, 2014 8:14 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

I agree that he's leaning towards staying but if he were to leave I think he'd love to go to phoenix. Warm climate, and a fun fun team. Him and GGreen would be a blast.

Return to Phoenix Suns