ImageImageImage

A critical Eric Bledsoe thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Re: Things I don't like about Bledsoe... 

Post#61 » by gaspar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:13 pm

IMO Bledsoe has a much bigger influence on our defense than the eye-test shows.

Bledsoe has by far the best Defensive RPM amongst point guards in the league.

Our defense fell apart when he got injured. We are much better defensively with him on the court.

Suns DRtg:
- before Bledsoe injury 101.8 (30 games)
- during Bledsoe injury 106.3 (33 games)
- post Bledsoe injury 102.1 (15 games).

Drtg:
Bledsoe on court 100.4 (1284 minutes)
Bledsoe off court 105.5 (2475 minutes)
GMATCallahan
Suns Forum History Expert
And1: 749

Post#62 » by GMATCallahan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:00 pm

gaspar wrote:IMO Bledsoe has a much bigger influence on our defense than the eye-test shows.

Our defense fell apart when he got injured. We are much better defensively with him on the court.

Suns DRtg:

Drtg:

... yes, good citations. Even if one accounts for the possibility of 'inflationary static' in the data, there is a clear and significant trend there.

Plus, the idea that the 'eye test' of random fans means anything is pretty absurd.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#63 » by Zelaznyrules » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:33 pm

JDLAW wrote:
Herman4MVP wrote:
JDLAW wrote:Just more juvenile nit picking from the clueless.

No reason for that but if you need to call somebody clueless go ahead.

Question - are you in love with Eric Bledsoe or why can't some of us criticize him without you defending him at all cost?

By the way - tonight he plays like dogpoo. There, I said it. Goran does all the work so far.

If he plays well he WILL GET PRAISED, if he plays like tonight I will call him out.
I WANT him to play well cause I want to see playoff basketball, alright?

To answer your question, no I am not in love with him - I love my wife of 30+ years. No one is defending him at all costs. Your criticism for the most part is pointless and juvenile and just giving occasional feint praise does not make it right.

Except for the part about being in love with your wife I agree with everything you've said here. There are legitimate aspects of Bledsoe's game worthy of critical examination but most of these complaints about him are absurd. And offering up a compliment now and then just rings hollow when stacked against his other comments.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,150

Post#64 » by Revived » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Zelaznyrules wrote:
JDLAW wrote:
Herman4MVP wrote:
No reason for that but if you need to call somebody clueless go ahead.

Question - are you in love with Eric Bledsoe or why can't some of us criticize him without you defending him at all cost?

By the way - tonight he plays like dogpoo. There, I said it. Goran does all the work so far.

If he plays well he WILL GET PRAISED, if he plays like tonight I will call him out.
I WANT him to play well cause I want to see playoff basketball, alright?

To answer your question, no I am not in love with him - I love my wife of 30+ years. No one is defending him at all costs. Your criticism for the most part is pointless and juvenile and just giving occasional feint praise does not make it right.

Except for the part about being in love with your wife I agree with everything you've said here. There are legitimate aspects of Bledsoe's game worthy of critical examination but most of these complaints about him are absurd. And offering up a compliment now and then just rings hollow when stacked against his other comments.

I'm curious, why don't you think he loves his wife?
Revived
RealGM

Post#65 » by Revived » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:22 pm

gaspar wrote:IMO Bledsoe has a much bigger influence on our defense than the eye-test shows.

Suns DRtg:

Drtg:

Damn Dragic's barely top 40 on that ranking.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#66 » by Zelaznyrules » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:25 pm

SF88 wrote:
Zelaznyrules wrote:
JDLAW wrote:

Thirty plus years? I'm sure he loves her. I can't tell if you're yanking my chain or if you really misunderstood my post but I don't think my loving wife of 40+ years would appreciate it if I were in love with someone else.
Revived
RealGM

Post#67 » by Revived » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Zelaznyrules wrote:
SF88 wrote:
Zelaznyrules wrote:

Thirty plus years? I'm sure he loves her. I can't tell if you're yanking my chain or if you really misunderstood my post but I don't think my loving wife of 40+ years would appreciate it if I were in love with someone else.

Nah I was just yanking your chain man :wink:
Herman4MVP
Senior
And1: 34

Post#68 » by Herman4MVP » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Sorry about the "love" remark, that was just to answer you calling me clueless.
Congrats on 30+ years, been married for 10 years and counting myself.

But to get back on topic - you get very hostile pretty quick - why?
I never make pointless topics, I always tell my opinion, granted I am sometimes driven by emotions (after an important game for example) and I am certainly not always right.

But still I don't get why you are so quick to call other poeple "clueless" and "juvenile" just because you don't happen to agree.

I said it before, I say it again - if Bledsoe is playing at a high level I am absolutely fine, if he is not I will point out his smaller flaws aswell as his bigger mistakes. If you don't like it so be it.
After making this thread, Bledsoe proved me wright more often than he proved me wrong.

He STILL is wasting too much time of the shot clock, he STILL tries to draw silly fouls and he STILL does not focus the whole game. His third quarter against NO was great, but in the first half he wasn't there at all and it's the most important time of the season right now.

Psychology, body language, mental strength - these things are important aswell, I just happen to focus a little bit more on them - purely as a viewer and fan. I am NOT an analyst nor am I saying I know it all, I do it for fun and out of curiosity if someone agrees with some of my points.

In general, I'm kinda getting tired of internet message boards, every time there has to be a grumpy mood or hostile remark and it takes the fun away for me so all I can say is "peace" and may Bledsoe show his value tonight against the Spurs.
Prediction for this season: Spurs beat Heat 4:2 in the finals (the revenge of Pop)
I don't like it, but it is highly possible this season with IND and OKC struggling
Herman4MVP
Senior

Post#69 » by Herman4MVP » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:02 pm

These "compliments" were made while the game was on and emotions were running high with the season on the line, I did not post them to show you that I have something good to say about Eric. Besides, I was switching between the game thread and this topic.

Jesus, what is it with some of you? Did I say Bledsoe sucks or did I express my opinion in a more advanced way?
Some of my points were legit, some others I admit were maybe a little bit nitpicky, ok.
Prediction for this season: Spurs beat Heat 4:2 in the finals (the revenge of Pop)
I don't like it, but it is highly possible this season with IND and OKC struggling
phrazbit
Sixth Man
And1: 649

Post#70 » by phrazbit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:40 am

The guy is an absolute monster as a defender. A true game changer on that end. A very good man to man defender and maybe the best help defender among guards in the entire league. Combine that with his very good and improving offensive game... I would not even blink at matching any contract offer he gets as an RFA.

This is not the crazy bloated max of previous CBAs or long serviced veterans. 58 mil... 4 years... thats the most someone else can offer. No question I'd match.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,355

Post#71 » by bwgood77 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:50 am

It's fine to point out his flaws. He has them. But he's also worth keeping around, at whatever cost it is. I came to this thread after seeing him pass up an easy layup for a chance at a 3 (by Frye, who has been extremely cold from 3 as of late) near the end of the game. He doesn't always make the smartest basketball play. But you can say that about a lot of really good players.
Revived
RealGM

Post#72 » by Revived » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:27 am

I don't think his on ball defense is really that great. Its very good but I wouldn't say its "great". It could be because he has to exert more energy offensively but idk.

His athleticism is just so ridiculous. Against the Spurs he that big dunk late and felt like every rebound he got was within the trees.

He makes some stupid ass turnovers though. Like he doesn't care about turning the ball over. He needs to get the playground mentality out of his head and realize that every possession is valuable.
Marz11
Junior
And1: 125

Post#73 » by Marz11 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:07 am

Not a max player for me..

His intensity levels are a worry. He drifts in and out of games and seems uninterested at times. With this comes the casual turnovers and slow pace.. That is NOT a max player.. Sure it is something he can work on but would you really pay someone a max deal based on what might be.. He hasn't proven himself yet..
Herman4MVP
Senior

Post#74 » by Herman4MVP » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:28 am

Thank you. You just summed up my whole point about him.

While some other people around here tend to get hostile and mad about some of my valid points - you (and some others) get it.

Archie at only 19 years of age is showing that hunger and intensity, even if he doesn't get much time and tonight he proved just another point of my original post. Kid needs to play next season!
Marz11
Junior

Post#75 » by Marz11 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:21 pm

I don't think Archie is there yet either. Today he did but other times has been scared.

They get lots of criticism but along with Goran, Ish and Tucker are probably the only guys that have brought it every night no matter how much playing time they have gotten. Always playing with full intensity.. Ish pushes the tempo much better than Bledsoe..
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#76 » by JDLAW » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:52 pm

Marz11 wrote:Not a max player for me..

His intensity levels are a worry. He drifts in and out of games and seems uninterested at times. With this comes the casual turnovers and slow pace.. That is NOT a max player.. Sure it is something he can work on but would you really pay someone a max deal based on what might be.. He hasn't proven himself yet..

The Suns might not have a choice. If another team makes a max offer, the Suns match period. You do not become a slave to ideology about who should and should not be a max player. You do not let talent like this walk for nothing.

And please do not give us the rubbish about sign and trade - that's not happening because the teams that would be interested in signing Bledsoe have nothing to give.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#77 » by DirtyDez » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 pm

McD was on the radio yesterday and said they could work something out before he hits FA. I think 4/48 would be solid for both sides.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#78 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:15 pm

JDLAW wrote:

The Suns might not have a choice. If another team makes a max offer, the Suns match period. You do not become a slave to ideology about who should and should not be a max player. You do not let talent like this walk for nothing.

And please do not give us the rubbish about sign and trade - that's not happening because the teams that would be interested in signing Bledsoe have nothing to give.
dude you and I are on the same wave length. Second post today that I couldn't have said better myself.

No way the Suns should even consider letting him leave. None

Some people act like if they let him walk there's 5-10 guys of his talent level they could sign to replace him. It's simply not true. Guys of his level are hard to aquire and worth "overpaying" a little if you have to.
Sent from my SM-N900V using RealGM Forums mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Marz11
Junior

Post#79 » by Marz11 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:06 pm

JDLAW wrote:

I'm not suggesting he be allowed to walk and yes the Suns might be forced to give him the huge contract, I'm just saying I don't think he is quite worth it in my opinion.
GMATCallahan
Suns Forum History Expert
And1: 749

Post#80 » by GMATCallahan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 pm

JDLAW wrote:

Yes, precisely. If you sit around waiting for a guy who is unquestionably a 'max' player, you could be in the lottery for decades. Now, if we were talking about an import who hadn't played in Phoenix's system, one might hesitate. But the Suns know that Bledsoe fits into their roster and system successfully. Phoenix went 28-15 when he played, 26-13 when he started (compared to 20-19 when he didn't play, 22-21 when he didn't start). So one can't just examine Bledsoe in the abstract; one needs to see how much better he makes this particular team.

Additionally, today's NBA—with the contemporary rules and spatial concepts—is built for players like Bledsoe. Most likely, he is significantly more valuable than he would have been fifteen or twenty years ago, and people need to adjust to that prism. It's not the NBA where Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, and Rasheed Wallace often matched up at small forward ...

Return to Phoenix Suns