ImageImageImage

A critical Eric Bledsoe thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Re: Things I don't like about Bledsoe... 

Post#81 » by Revived » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:17 am

His turnovers and outside shooting ability are what bother me most about him.

"Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe is learning to play through his turnover moments, thanks to some advice from former Clippers teammate Chauncey Billups. After making three first-quarter turnovers Monday, Bledsoe made two turnovers over his final 38 minutes and finished with his first career triple-double (27 points, career-high 16 assists and career-high tying 11 rebounds). "I beat myself up more than anybody for my turnovers and the way I play," Bledsoe said. "Chauncey told me the way I play, I'll get those back. I had two steals tonight so that's a plus. I always try to get the ball back. I got a block at the end. I get the ball back to X them out."

Rather than thinking about ways to "x them out" how about not turning the ball over so much in the first place?

Averaging 3 turnovers and 31% 3pt shooter.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#82 » by Kerrsed » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:46 am

SF88 wrote:His turnovers and outside shooting ability are what bother me most about him.

"Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe is learning to play through his turnover moments, thanks to some advice from former Clippers teammate Chauncey Billups. After making three first-quarter turnovers Monday, Bledsoe made two turnovers over his final 38 minutes and finished with his first career triple-double (27 points, career-high 16 assists and career-high tying 11 rebounds). "I beat myself up more than anybody for my turnovers and the way I play," Bledsoe said. "Chauncey told me the way I play, I'll get those back. I had two steals tonight so that's a plus. I always try to get the ball back. I got a block at the end. I get the ball back to X them out."

Rather than thinking about ways to "x them out" how about not turning the ball over so much in the first place?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your Bledsoe beef just doesnt end does it? 3 turnovers is alot? Really? Take a look at the best Starting PG's in the league! Since i doubt you would take the time to do so, i did it for you!

Wall: 3.8
Curry: 3.2
CP3: 2
Rose: 3.2
Rondo: 3.3
Lawson: 3
Rubio: 3
Westbrook: 4
Lillard: 2.8
Parker: 2.7
Lowery: 2.7

So Bledsoe is smack dab in the middle of the best PG's in the league when it comes to turnovers.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Revived
RealGM

Post#83 » by Revived » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:01 am

Kerrsed wrote:
SF88 wrote:His turnovers and outside shooting ability are what bother me most about him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your Bledsoe beef just doesnt end does it? 3 turnovers is alot? Really? Take a look at the best Starting PG's in the league! Since i doubt you would take the time to do so, i did it for you!

Wall: 3.8
Curry: 3.2
CP3: 2
Rose: 3.2
Rondo: 3.3
Lawson: 3
Rubio: 3
Westbrook: 4
Lillard: 2.8
Parker: 2.7
Lowery: 2.7

So Bledsoe is smack dab in the middle of the best PG's in the league when it comes to turnovers.

I also think every single one or most of those PGs you mentioned average more assists than him.

I don't think Bledsoe's assist/turnover ratio is better than man on that list you provided.

As for my "beef", I just want to see him get better seeing as whether I like it or not, he's stuck with us for another 5 years and Suns have showed no indication that they will move him. So because of that, I want to see him improve at these things.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,181

Post#84 » by Frank Lee » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:44 pm

at least it has appeared he is having more fun. The sullen one was cracking smiles
What ? Me Worry ?
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#85 » by DirtyDez » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:12 pm

Bledsoe is not a max caliber player but that's not his fault. Rich Paul just took us to the woodshed.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,181

Post#86 » by Frank Lee » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:18 pm

we helped him with the hype
What ? Me Worry ?
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#87 » by MathiasPW » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:45 pm

What a bad thread. Pure negativity without any facts to actually base them upon.

I could swear that this thread was created by an anti-Suns fan or someone willing to get Bledsoe negotiated for cheap.
Revived
RealGM

Post#88 » by Revived » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:32 am

Is there a reason why Bledsoe tries to draw fouls so damn much instead of just focusing on finishing the layup?

He blows layups and easy shots because he's too concerned about trying to get to the FT line.
JTrain
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#89 » by JTrain » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:27 am

Out of 55 guards with significant starts this season (at least 25), Bledsoe is #11 in turnovers per 100 possessions. Knight is #9. Those are both very bad.

Now, there are some great players near or above those levels of turnovers. But in order in make the turnovers "worth it" you have to also be very high in creating points, either by directly scoring or by assisting.

Bledsoe scores 24.9 PPH (points per 100 poss.) and Knight scores 28. Bledsoe has 8.8 APH (assists per 100 poss.) and Knight has 8.5. You'll find that the players having great seasons tend to outweight their turnovers by having significantly higher points and/or assists for every turnover. Westbrook puts in 40.3 PPH and 12.3 APH. Harden 37.3 PPH. John Wall 14.6 AHP. Curry 35.6 PPH and 11.6 APH.

Let's take the league average of roughly 2.25 points per assist to figure the approximate amount of points being contributed by the assists, add that to actual points scored, then divide the total by the turnovers (all of this is per 100 poss.). This will give us a points created per turnover stat and show us how badly these starting guards are affecting their games via turnovers.

Here is the data, sorted from best to worst by points created per turnover:

Here it is in chart form. The two orange dots are our guys:

Turnovers are definitely a problem for both Bledsoe and Knight.
Herman4MVP
Senior
And1: 34

Post#90 » by Herman4MVP » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:38 pm

MathiasPW wrote:What a bad thread. Pure negativity without any facts to actually base them upon.

I could swear that this thread was created by an anti-Suns fan or someone willing to get Bledsoe negotiated for cheap.

This thread was created a year ago - but please tell me how there aren't facts and reasons behind my points I made back then.

- he STILL has limited stamina and seems out of breath constantly
- he STILL commits too many turnovers
- he DID play a big part in Goran's decline and if you ask me, also his departure
- since Goran left he hasn't really stepped up as our leader or floor general
- he WAS paid too much and he STILL is not anywhere near a MAX contract guy
- he still bulldozes into the paint at times, a little out of control
- his jumper is still way too inconsistent

Granted, maybe I was a little bit too critical of his demeanor and body language - sorry about that but my attitude is still the same - if you're losing or missing the playoffs you should NOT be joking with opponents - while the game is still on!

He also DID improve overall and had some impressive games since I started this thread - if only he would show his true skill set and love for the game every night.
He also is our best guard right now, so him showing up is even more important than ever.

People need to let other people discuss players, their strengths AND weaknesses. Stop taking everything so personal - after all Eric is a highly paid, successful NBA player and does not need you to come to his rescue.
In Len We Trust
Banned User
And1: 380

Re: A critical Eric Bledsoe thread 

Post#91 » by In Len We Trust » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:34 pm

It isn't just turnovers, it is his instincts and the way he runs the offense with the ball in his hands. He is very, very talented so he will make a lot of great plays but it is pretty much negated by a lot of dead possessions.

We are spoiled from those Nash years. His instincts and the way the offense just flowed through him was just beautiful to watch. Whenever the ball was in his hands he would make something good happen. Nash turned it over quite a bit like Bledsoe, but it was much different. There's more to it than just turnovers. Nash got turnovers because every now and then a play would quite work and a pass would get stolen or a ball gets lost. For every turnover, there were multiple beautiful plays resulting in easy baskets and open shots. Bledsoe turns the ball over dribbling into 3 people and losing control of the ball, going to fast without knowing where he is going, and throwing risky passes because the defense is pressuring him.

Steve Nash was hanging out at US Airways Center this summer. Hopefully the front office can convince him to come in as an assistant coach next year. He could do wonders for Bledsoe and could help work together with Horny on the offense.
JTrain
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#92 » by JTrain » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:10 am

Revived
RealGM

Post#93 » by Revived » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:24 am

JTrain wrote:Image

Fiiiiine.
In Len We Trust
Banned User
And1: 380

Post#94 » by In Len We Trust » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:34 am

[YouTube][/YouTube]
JTrain wrote:Image

Who wants to go with me?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#95 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:29 am

JTrain wrote:Out of 55 guards with significant starts this season (at least 25), Bledsoe is #11 in turnovers per 100 possessions. Knight is #9. Those are both very bad.

Now, there are some great players near or above those levels of turnovers. But in order in make the turnovers "worth it" you have to also be very high in creating points, either by directly scoring or by assisting.

Bledsoe scores 24.9 PPH (points per 100 poss.) and Knight scores 28. Bledsoe has 8.8 APH (assists per 100 poss.) and Knight has 8.5. You'll find that the players having great seasons tend to outweight their turnovers by having significantly higher points and/or assists for every turnover. Westbrook puts in 40.3 PPH and 12.3 APH. Harden 37.3 PPH. John Wall 14.6 AHP. Curry 35.6 PPH and 11.6 APH.

Let's take the league average of roughly 2.25 points per assist to figure the approximate amount of points being contributed by the assists, add that to actual points scored, then divide the total by the turnovers (all of this is per 100 poss.). This will give us a points created per turnover stat and show us how badly these starting guards are affecting their games via turnovers.

Here is the data, sorted from best to worst by points created per turnover:

Here it is in chart form. The two orange dots are our guys:

Turnovers are definitely a problem for both Bledsoe and Knight.

It may become less of a problem once they share, but remember, they are both young. I think players get better with time in this regard. I wonder how many of those 55 guys are in their 5th year or less.

Another consideration is that Bledsoe compensates quite a bit for this because of his steals. Haven't looked at Knight on steals yet, but everyone focuses on A/T ratio, but a steal basically eliminates a turnover. Sure it would be better to get a steal and not turn it over, but this is something Bledsoe is good at.

I am not excusing Bledsoe's turnovers, as it is a problem, but he does compensate in ways with steals, and adds value in other ways like rebounding, defense, etc. Hopefully the higher IQ play will come with time.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: 

Post#96 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:34 am

Herman4MVP wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:What a bad thread. Pure negativity without any facts to actually base them upon.

This thread was created a year ago - but please tell me how there aren't facts and reasons behind my points I made back then.

- he STILL has limited stamina and seems out of breath constantly
- he STILL commits too many turnovers
- he DID play a big part in Goran's decline and if you ask me, also his departure
- since Goran left he hasn't really stepped up as our leader or floor general
- he WAS paid too much and he STILL is not anywhere near a MAX contract guy
- he still bulldozes into the paint at times, a little out of control
- his jumper is still way too inconsistent

Granted, maybe I was a little bit too critical of his demeanor and body language - sorry about that but my attitude is still the same - if you're losing or missing the playoffs you should NOT be joking with opponents - while the game is still on!

He also DID improve overall and had some impressive games since I started this thread - if only he would show his true skill set and love for the game every night.
He also is our best guard right now, so him showing up is even more important than ever.

People need to let other people discuss players, their strengths AND weaknesses. Stop taking everything so personal - after all Eric is a highly paid, successful NBA player and does not need you to come to his rescue.

He has his faults. But everyone does. Our backcourt tandem has different strengths, so hopefully they can compensate for one another.

I try to be an optimist in this current sea of negativity on the board. No, I don't expect to make the playoffs, but I do think we have hope for the future, but I do admit the west is so tough, and even the teams outside of the playoffs other than the Lakers have some impressive talent, so it will be tough.

Sometimes (ok, more than sometimes) people expect too much from this team in the second year of a rebuild and all these young players...lets enjoy the growth and hopefully watch it blossom.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#97 » by LukasBMW » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:16 am

I was not sold on Beldsoe, but he sure played well tonight.
Revived
RealGM

Post#98 » by Revived » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:18 pm

I sure hope that Bledsoe isn't caught up in this

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/588789519199182852[/tweet]

Many suspect LeBron to be a user and Bledsoe works out exclusively with LBJ in the off season so there's that.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#99 » by kennydorglas » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:37 pm

SF88 wrote:I sure hope that Bledsoe isn't caught up in this

Many suspect LeBron to be a user and Bledsoe works out exclusively with LBJ in the off season so there's that.

If he's using with LeBron, he'll be fine.
TOP athletes are always 2 steps ahead in any doping situation.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#100 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:52 am

kennydorglas wrote:
SF88 wrote:I sure hope that Bledsoe isn't caught up in this

If he's using with LeBron, he'll be fine.
TOP athletes are always 2 steps ahead in any doping situation.

Definitely. Lance Armstrong, A Rod, Barry Bonds, Mark Mcgwire....

Honestly though, if he is using, and he stops, it could benefit his coordination and stuff. Not sure he needs that level of bulkiness. It makes him tough, but it could hurt in other areas.

Return to Phoenix Suns