The Official Alec Brown Thread!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,466

Re: The Official Alec Brown Thread! 

Post#21 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 7:23 pm

It's pretty crazy that a 7 footer who can hit 40% from 3 isn't at least valuable as a role player. Especially if he was dropping 40 in a game in college.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#22 » by RunDogGun » Wed Jul 2, 2014 7:24 am

Smaller school less attention. Sometimes guys just fall through the cracks. I really hope this kid is a keeper.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#23 » by rsavaj » Wed Jul 2, 2014 2:56 pm

RunDogGun wrote:Bummer, I didn't know he was going to Europe. I thought he could take the Frye role, just from the bench.

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EAFFVs6A19w[/youtube]

Can't rebound, can't defend, pretty weak and unathletic...he's all the things people hate about Frye x 10. Let him go to Europe and hopefully we'll actually have a real player on our hands in a few years.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#24 » by Revived » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:53 pm

rsavaj wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:Bummer, I didn't know he was going to Europe. I thought he could take the Frye role, just from the bench.

Can't rebound, can't defend, pretty weak and unathletic...he's all the things people hate about Frye x 10. Let him go to Europe and hopefully we'll actually have a real player on our hands in a few years.

And yet Suns are still trying hard to bring Frye back. I would rather have this kid at 1/10th the cost than overpay Frye.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#25 » by rsavaj » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:05 pm

SF88 wrote:
rsavaj wrote:

And yet Suns are still trying hard to bring Frye back. I would rather have this kid at 1/10th the cost than overpay Frye.

Despite your protestations, Frye actually has value as a rotation player, and NBA execs know that.

Alec Brown is just a tall guy who can shoot in an empty gym.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#26 » by Zelaznyrules » Wed Jul 2, 2014 5:10 pm

SF88 wrote:
rsavaj wrote:

And I would rather win so I'll take Frye.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#27 » by gaspar » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Coro:
It seems meant to be that the best basketball player for the Wisconsin-Green Bay Phoenix would wind up with Phoenix.

Alec Brown was not sure he would even be drafted last month, watching privately with family in his hometown of Winona, Minn., before being taken 50th overall by the Suns.

Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough initially said the likely plan was for Brown to play in Europe this season but added that was before Channing Frye agreed to a four-year, $32 million contract with Orlando.

Brown, an even taller stretch power forward at 7 feet 1, is not ruling out finding his way onto this season's Suns roster as he goes through two-a-days in Phoenix this week. The Suns' summer team opens play in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Brown has a backup plan with an interested Spanish club but knows his skill set fits the Suns' system well.

"My main thought right when they picked me was, 'That's perfect for me,'" Brown said. "How they play, running the court, spacing the floor, utilizing the fours for picks-and-pops, I was really excited."

Brown, who turns 22 on July 23, averaged 15.3 points, 5.7 rebounds and 3.1 blocks as a Green Bay senior. He is the first player to be drafted from Green Bay since Jeff Nordgaard, a second-round pick who lasted 13 games with Milwaukee.

Brown made 42 percent of his 3s as a senior and took 100 3s among his 347 shots. He is a pick-and-pop player with agility but has been a subpar rebounder and needs more strength.

Adding bulk has been a struggle for Brown, who grew 6 inches as a high school sophomore and has gained about 10 pounds a year to catch up. He now weighs 231 pounds.

Brown never dreamed of the NBA until he was heading into his college sophomore season. He helped his stock at the NBA draft combine, where he tied for the best 3-point shooting (18 for 25) of any prospect. He then worked out for 10 NBA teams, including Phoenix.

"If they need me here, I'll be ready to play here," Brown said. "If not, if they need me to go overseas for a year, I'm ready to do that, too."
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#28 » by TASTIC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:34 pm

I like that combo of 40% on 3s and over 3blks a game.

Might be an end of the bench guy who can give us 8-12mins per while opening the paint for Kieff and Goodwin...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#29 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:56 pm

I think Alec will find it hard to stay on the court. He had good block stats but he looks like a guy who'll get pushed around. Frye learnt how to use his quickness and length to both guys and was a good enough team defender. I think Alec needs a lot of work defensively and I'm not sure he'll find any consistent minutes this season, if he makes it to the roster at all.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Gorilla Warfare
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,323

Post#30 » by Gorilla Warfare » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:56 am

If he puts up a 20 point game or two (I honestly think he could in Summer League) he will make the team as an 11th-12th man. He definitely needs a lot of work, but a 7 footer who shoots 42% from the 3-point line couldn't be in a better system for him to be successful.
SunsFanSSOL
Sixth Man
And1: 884

Post#31 » by SunsFanSSOL » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:51 am

He is awful.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#32 » by NTB » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:41 am

Good start :(
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#33 » by Fo-Real » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:21 pm

Could be jitters.... first time against competition like this... give him a chance. Did show he ain't friggin shy, he kept putting it up witch to me means he was as surprised as we were that it wasn't going in... that is confidence and it goes a long way. If a few of those fall yesterday we are all Raving about how long athletic and smooth his shot is. I hope he keeps shooting!!!
JTrain
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#34 » by JTrain » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:13 am

What now, haters?

SunsFanSSOL
Sixth Man
And1: 884

Post#35 » by SunsFanSSOL » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:18 am

JTrain wrote:What now, haters?