ImageImageImage

Suns Acquire Isaiah Thomas- 4 years, 27 million

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Re: Suns Acquire Isaiah Thomas- 4 years, 27 million 

Post#221 » by Revived » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:35 am

BurningHeart wrote:Didn't get any notifications for responses in the offseason thread so I'll ask here....

Is Thomas a player I'll like? Meaning, does he flop, whine, or play like an idiot? How's his motor? Is he a punk? Did the idiocy/cancerous culture in Sacramento infect him at all?

I think he's a player you will love. He grew up as a fan of your second favorite team

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... the-kings/

You probably even have the jersey of his favorite player.
Blackification
Head Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#222 » by Blackification » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 am

I like that the Morris twins and Plumlee went to the press conference. The Morris twins are really supportive of their teammates. Plumlee has also been doing a lot of charity events all summer. The good chemistry looks like it will continue into next year.
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#223 » by Jdiddy701 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:02 am

Been saying it... Morris twins are worth more to this organization than anyone knows.
If they ever get traded, I will wonder about the FO.

Marcus & Markieff > Kevin Love
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#224 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:21 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:Been saying it... Morris twins are worth more to this organization than anyone knows.

Really? I don't see MoBros being potential game changer like Kevin Love is, or ever will be.

But that's just my opinion.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,131

Post#225 » by spanishninja » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:26 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:Been saying it... Morris twins are worth more to this organization than anyone knows.

Really? I don't see MoBros being potential game changer like Kevin Love is, or ever will be.

But that's just my opinion.

They're certainly not game changers but if they can improve to the point where they outplay their cheap contracts, they could become lucrative trade chips before they hit the restricted FA market com 15-16. That's probably the one scenario where they end up being valuable.
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#226 » by Jdiddy701 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:29 am

I would say their performance together are enough for Love's. Better teammates and cheaper.
I hope they both have long careers in Phoenix. I would extend ASAP.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#227 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:58 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:I would say their performance together are enough for Love's. Better teammates and cheaper.

I don't think their performance together is enough for Love. Unless they make massive improvements over the next few seasons, I don't think they would even touch Love's production. Love's TWolves suck but I really can't see them being even close to being as competitive if they had MoBros.

If you look at their offensive skill sets, they are very similar. Both face up players with mid-range games and prefer to use speed and finesse over power. Their defense is nothing to write home about but rebounding is obviously largely in Love's favor. I mean, put this on the GB and it would be a landslide. I think you may have your orange-goggles on.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#228 » by jcsunsfan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:I would say their performance together are enough for Love's. Better teammates and cheaper.

I don't think their performance together is enough for Love. Unless they make massive improvements over the next few seasons, I don't think they would even touch Love's production. Love's TWolves suck but I really can't see them being even close to being as competitive if they had MoBros.

If you look at their offensive skill sets, they are very similar. Both face up players with mid-range games and prefer to use speed and finesse over power. Their defense is nothing to write home about but rebounding is obviously largely in Love's favor. I mean, put this on the GB and it would be a landslide. I think you may have your orange-goggles on.

The fact that you talk about both their games as if they play the same damages your credibility. What you just described is Marcus. Markieff is a very good defender and seems to enjoy bulling through contact on offense.

No. The two are not better than Love primarily because they are two players not one. You have to combine Love with another player to get a fair comparison. Love plus any other competent forward is better than the Morri.

But in the argument, don't undervalue them either.
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#229 » by Sun Scorched » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:18 pm

Just watched some of the media re: Thomas on Suns.com - granted, they're all promotional pieces, but I live this kid. His contract is fantastic. He'll be an instant fan favorite (almost, already is).

But perhaps what I'm most impressed with is the way in which we went about this. McD is brilliant. Per Thomas, we did our research, knew where his favorite places to visit were, favorite places to eat, had jerseys with his kids' names on them, etc.

That's next level ****.

Well done FO.
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#230 » by Zelaznyrules » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Sun Scorched wrote:Just watched some of the media re: Thomas on Suns.com - granted, they're all promotional pieces, but I live this kid. His contract is fantastic. He'll be an instant fan favorite (almost, already is).

But perhaps what I'm most impressed with is the way in which we went about this. McD is brilliant. Per Thomas, we did our research, knew where his favorite places to visit were, favorite places to eat, had jerseys with his kids' names on them, etc.

That's next level ****.

Well done FO.

There's a fine line between stalking and research I guess. But I'm with you. I love that we are that focused on our targets.
aIvin adams
Analyst
And1: 1,978

Post#231 » by aIvin adams » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 am

ETA - looooooooooouu
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#232 » by JDLAW » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:34 am

To get off topic just a little

If you want a retrospective look at how F'd up the basketball media is and how far they jump to conclusions, look back at the comments in the media from such guys as Chad Ford and others. Ford in particular just before the draft commented on how the Suns were looking at point guards and other "executives" were commenting on this. Ford came on the radio in PHX to discuss how this likely meant that the Suns were going to let Bledsoe walk … blah, blah…. or they were going to trade Dragic….

Similar commentary was made when they selected Ennis - completely ignoring the statement by McDonough that the Suns were going to pick players with the idea they would be contributors down the road. Ennis is a prime example of that. Got the same rank speculation with the signing of Thomas. It is nothing more than McDonough's comment the Suns play 2 guards with playmaking ability and Thomas fits in that rotation. Still the media ignores the comments from Suns Mgt and continues to speculate. The next one will be after Bledsoe signs and the focus will be on Dragic - can't keep him because … [fill in the blanks].

But I think what you are seeing now is a signal that conventional wisdom be damned, the Suns are committed to having 2 playmakers on the court (call them point guards if you want), but I am going to call them guards and until the scheme fails, they are going to remain committed.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Post#233 » by Revived » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:39 am

I just watched the Thomas-Tolliver presser and was laughing extremely hard when Hornacek started whispering on the mic "defense, defense, defense" when Thomas was asked about what he will be working on to improve in the off season. Same with the "rebounding, rebounding, rebounding" chant for Tolliver :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#234 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:00 am

JDLAW wrote:To get off topic just a little

If you want a retrospective look at how F'd up the basketball media is and how far they jump to conclusions, look back at the comments in the media from such guys as Chad Ford and others. Ford in particular just before the draft commented on how the Suns were looking at point guards and other "executives" were commenting on this. Ford came on the radio in PHX to discuss how this likely meant that the Suns were going to let Bledsoe walk … blah, blah…. or they were going to trade Dragic….

Similar commentary was made when they selected Ennis - completely ignoring the statement by McDonough that the Suns were going to pick players with the idea they would be contributors down the road. Ennis is a prime example of that. Got the same rank speculation with the signing of Thomas. It is nothing more than McDonough's comment the Suns play 2 guards with playmaking ability and Thomas fits in that rotation. Still the media ignores the comments from Suns Mgt and continues to speculate. The next one will be after Bledsoe signs and the focus will be on Dragic - can't keep him because … [fill in the blanks].

But I think what you are seeing now is a signal that conventional wisdom be damned, the Suns are committed to having 2 playmakers on the court (call them point guards if you want), but I am going to call them guards and until the scheme fails, they are going to remain committed.

And you forgot the part last year when we got Bledsoe Ford and I'm sure others just automatically assumed Dragic was on the block.
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#235 » by JDLAW » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:11 am

bwgood77 wrote:
JDLAW wrote:To get off topic just a little

And you forgot the part last year when we got Bledsoe Ford and I'm sure others just automatically assumed Dragic was on the block.

Yeah. It is one thing, if they give their opinion and clearly state so, but more often than not they throw out something and then it is picked up by someone else and pretty soon "sources" are assigned to the rank speculation. But i guess that is what makes this time of the year so "fun."
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#236 » by RunDogGun » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:54 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

The fact that you talk about both their games as if they play the same damages your credibility. What you just described is Marcus. Markieff is a very good defender and seems to enjoy bulling through contact on offense.

No. The two are not better than Love primarily because they are two players not one. You have to combine Love with another player to get a fair comparison. Love plus any other competent forward is better than the Morri.

His description of their game is pretty spot on, and in no way damages his credibility. They both like to face up their opponent, and both rely on ISOs and midrange shooting. The only real difference is how they were used this last season. Marcus was used more often as a three point threat, while Markieff was used more inside.

But on the other point, I do agree, it's very tough to combine players to equate one player. The rebounding isn't even close. :o
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#237 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:40 am

RunDogGun wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I don't think their performance together is enough for Love. Unless they make massive improvements over the next few seasons, I don't think they would even touch Love's production. Love's TWolves suck but I really can't see them being even close to being as competitive if they had MoBros.

His description of their game is pretty spot on, and in no way damages his credibility. They both like to face up their opponent, and both rely on ISOs and midrange shooting. The only real difference is how they were used this last season. Marcus was used more often as a three point threat, while Markieff was used more inside.

But on the other point, I do agree, it's very tough to combine players to equate one player. The rebounding isn't even close. :o

Thank you
WTFsunsFTW
Veteran
And1: 113

Post#238 » by WTFsunsFTW » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:20 am

Both IT and Dragic are in top 20 in the league for fouls drawn. Bledsoe is close behind. Considering everyone on our team besides plumlee and len space the floor, I see many more slashes and fouls drawn in the future.
MikeXL
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#239 » by MikeXL » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:24 am

That's a great deal for you guys.
aIvin adams
Analyst
And1: 1,978

Post#240 » by aIvin adams » Fri Aug 1, 2014 4:35 pm

interview w Isaiah from Sactown Royalty of sbnation

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2014/7/31 ... From-Kings

What have the Suns told you about how you can fit it in with what they are trying to do there?

If Bledsoe comes back, basically it's a three-guard rotation. They said ‘you're going to have a big role in whatever we do,' and that's what I wanted most, I wanted to be a big part of something. And I know they won 48 games last year, they were one game out of the NBA playoffs, and that's big. And I told them, when it comes to winning, I'll set everything aside because at the end of the day, you're judged by how many wins you have and how far you can take your basketball team. So like I said, if Eric Bledsoe does come back it'll be a three-guard rotation with us playing, they said there will always be two of us on the floor. They didn't really say nothing about starting or coming off the bench and I'm happy with that. They didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, ‘you're going to start from day one,' no, you're going to come in and compete and you're going to have a big role on this team.

How do you see it working? You guys are all three different types of players.

I think it's going to be good because, like you said, we're all three different basketball players. We don't do really nothing the same other than me and Dragic being left handed. We attack very differently, we're very aggressive in our different ways and we go about our games a lot different, so I think it is going to be tough for teams to guard that because you can't really scout three, aggressive, good guards that are proven in the NBA.

some other interesting tidbits about the kings' locker room, boogie's leadership, etc. nothing major but nice interview for those wondering how an above average PG fell into our lap for avg salary.

Return to Phoenix Suns