2015 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

2015 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:55 pm

I know it's obviously early, but this board has gotten a little stale and has less activity, so I thought this could at least add some different discussion.

I was just looking at Draft Express' top 25 which lists 9 centers or pf/c in their top 25. Clearly a few of these are projected more of power forwards, and some are not prototypical centers (Frank Kaminsky, for example, who is the last center listed).

So if Len doesn't develop as planned, there might be quite a few more centers than usual among the first round to choose from and some guys who will have 2-3 years of college experience.

Also, it's nice that some teams that will not be good (Philly) or will probably not be good (Sacramento) and others that might be ok and could pick near us (Detroit) are pretty set at center.

Is there anyone you have your eye on for next summer? What do you think our biggest needs will be? Here are the current mocks.

http://www.draftexpress.com/

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft
Suns Court 23
Sophomore
And1: 16

Re: 2015 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by Suns Court 23 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:24 am

I personally feel that we need to somehow find our power forward of the future if it isn't Markief Morris. I'm not sold on Markief being our future at the 4 unless he takes another huge step like last year. So I think we should be targeting a 4 in the draft.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,156

Post#3 » by Revived » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:05 am

I think we still need a C. I expect the Suns to still get dominated inside by guys like Kaman.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#4 » by MathiasPW » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:29 pm

I am gonna bet $10 that we draft a PG...
aIvin adams
Analyst
And1: 1,978

Post#5 » by aIvin adams » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:33 pm

top 25 prospects?

i think we should be focusing on prospects in the 26-30 range, amirite??

aIvin adams
Analyst

Post#6 » by aIvin adams » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:34 pm

SF88 wrote:I think we still need a C. I expect the Suns to still get dominated inside by guys like Kaman.

Kaman is keeping our front office up late at night, i'm sure
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#7 » by kennydorglas » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:58 am

That's another loaded draft class
For now, i'll throw just one name to look up: Ilimane Diop
this guy will be a beast

looking for Delon Wright/Andrew Harrison (both will rank higher at the end of season) just in case too
nice insurance package for Bledsoe
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#8 » by DRK » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:05 am

Tank for Ben Simmons
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,051

Post#9 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:40 am

Suns Court 23 wrote:I personally feel that we need to somehow find our power forward of the future if it isn't Markief Morris. I'm not sold on Markief being our future at the 4 unless he takes another huge step like last year. So I think we should be targeting a 4 in the draft.

Markieff has been making improvements every year he has been with us.

Last year he was better than frye imo. He could have started last year.

He finally will get to start this year and show everyone how good of a player he is.

Id rather have markieff than most of the PFs in the league because he keeps improving every year.

Im glad our FO didnt go after PFS like Monroe on Boozer. I would much rather have Markieff.
Ryu
Bench Warmer
And1: 552

Post#10 » by Ryu » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:05 am

Early prediction: Montrezl Harrell will look good in Suns` uni.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#11 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:21 pm

aIvin adams wrote:top 25 prospects?

i think we should be focusing on prospects in the 26-30 range, amirite??

I don't follow the NFL but is there a story behind this? Hazing or something?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Suns Court 23
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#12 » by Suns Court 23 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:43 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:
Suns Court 23 wrote:I personally feel that we need to somehow find our power forward of the future if it isn't Markief Morris. I'm not sold on Markief being our future at the 4 unless he takes another huge step like last year. So I think we should be targeting a 4 in the draft.

He finally will get to start this year and show everyone how good of a player he is.

Id rather have markieff than most of the PFs in the league because he keeps improving every year.

Im glad our FO didnt go after PFS like Monroe on Boozer. I would much rather have Markieff.

Well I feel that if we are ever going to have contending for a championship status, then we need a star power forward or center. I feel Alex Len may not be a star but will be a top 8 center if healthy. So we need a 20 point per game power forward that is a good rebounder. They won't have to be great defensively because that's Lens biggest strength. I don't know if there is such a power forward in this draft or if we need to go through free agency or trade to get a power forward. If Aldridge isn't signed to a max or just wants to leave if Portland underperforms this year, then we need to make a huge push for him. He is the perfect power forward. I'm just not sure Markief can reach this high of a level but I could be wrong.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:41 pm

Suns Court 23 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:

Well I feel that if we are ever going to have contending for a championship status, then we need a star power forward or center. I feel Alex Len may not be a star but will be a top 8 center if healthy. So we need a 20 point per game power forward that is a good rebounder. They won't have to be great defensively because that's Lens biggest strength. I don't know if there is such a power forward in this draft or if we need to go through free agency or trade to get a power forward. If Aldridge isn't signed to a max or just wants to leave if Portland underperforms this year, then we need to make a huge push for him. He is the perfect power forward. I'm just not sure Markief can reach this high of a level but I could be wrong.

I'd say take BPA, and preferably a big. A rim protector would be ideal, but maybe Len can turn into one. They may take a PF if they don't extend Markieff as insurance though in case he gets offered too much in FA.

I assume he will want to stay and play with his brother, but there could be another team out there willing to give them both contracts. Otherwise playing with his bro seems to be a higher priority than as much money as possible if they would have to split up.

If Kieff, Len and Plumlee continue to develop and become solid starters AND if we end up trading Bledsoe, then I could see us going for the best shooter at the 2, especially with Green possibly getting a big deal and leaving next summer.
aIvin adams
Analyst

Post#14 » by aIvin adams » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:40 pm

I appreciate the effort to talk about somethign besides Rich Paul's psychological profile, but i think talking about the team's 2015 draft strategy is a bit of a stretch even for me.

i'd rather see posts froom you guys who keep track of amateur ball. show us cool youtube clips so we can start overhyping the guy we're gonna pick witht he SIXTH PICK (!!!!) this year.
aIvin adams
Analyst

Post#15 » by aIvin adams » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:41 pm

*i am assuming for the sake of prophecy that Lin is going to heroically lead the Lakers to the 5th worst record in the league (but they are bumped to 6 by Minnesota who wins the lotto)
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#16 » by bwgood77 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:25 pm

aIvin adams wrote:I appreciate the effort to talk about somethign besides Rich Paul's psychological profile, but i think talking about the team's 2015 draft strategy is a bit of a stretch even for me.

i'd rather see posts froom you guys who keep track of amateur ball. show us cool youtube clips so we can start overhyping the guy we're gonna pick witht he SIXTH PICK (!!!!) this year.

Yeah, I'm not so interested in their draft strategy yet. That will be determined based on what happens in the season.

This is more for people showing prospects they have seen and maybe clips. For example, mid season last year I pointed out how good TJ Warren was looking when he kind of came out of nowhere.

The college season will be underway in a couple of months, but perhaps people know about some interesting about foreign prospects who might enter the draft next year. This is just more for people to get educated on various prospects throughout the season.

Early predictions at this point as to how good prospects will be as pros is a little ridiculous, though we will always have people saying VERY early that they REALLY want Shabazz Muhammad, etc.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#17 » by No-Man » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:41 am

The Suns most likely will have a pick in the 10-20 range, I dont see them making the PO since the West is really top heavy and the teams that went in last year are clear favourites to repeat, plus Denver, NOLA and LA becoming more competitive, it'll be though to get in.

Assuming that, you are looking probably at a pick in the 10-14 range, from Phoenix, and another one in the 7-10 range from the Lakers.

Those are two pretty good picks, that can be used to go up in the Draft, probably not in the top3, but maybe you can get in the top5, if you want a determined player, or trade the picks for a proven guy, or just pick with both of them, getting a draft&stash talent.

just as a flashforward, lets say the Suns are able to retain Dragic, and the Morris, and that Bledsoe leaves next summer after playing for the QO this year, that will leave you with,

Dragic-Thomas-Ennis
Goodwin
Tucker-Warren
Morris-Morris
Plumlee-Len

And a choice with Green, you can re-sign him, or let him go, depending on the offseason opp., I will let him go, and bring Bogdanovic over probably.
Around, 50m$ in that roster, the cap will probably be at 65-67, so you have space too and there are some nices names there.

Let's say you end up with the 8th pick from LA and the 12th from the Suns, plus the 42nd, if you dont trade up, assuming you pick an stash guy, that leaves you with two more rookies, plus Bogdan, 3 (maybe Alec Brown?) and a team with already 13 players, probably around 12m$ in capspace after that, depending on the new cap limit.

Some guys that could be in the range, 8-12, and make sense are,

Mario Hezonja, he can play both SG and SF, good size and athleticism, fantastic offensive tools, explosive around the rim, has a mean demeanor, excels on the open floor, will be a terrific fit, some personality concerns.
Kelly Oubre, SF, all the athletic tools, long and rangy, bouncy, nice shot too, his motor runs hot and cold, still raw, but a lot of potential due to athleticism and length, could be a still that late.
Caris LeVert, SG, long and with playmaking abilities, can shoot it too, maturing physically, plays good D, seems to be a good fit with any system, versatile player.
Terry Rozier, bledsoe-esque, exceptional athlete with a streaky shot but long term potential, needs to improve as a playmaker.
Brice Johnson, long and opportunistic on offense, similr to Brandan Wright, pretty good athlete that needs to keep adding weight, is going to have a breakout season at UNC.
Bobby Portis, another PF, good fundamentals, good size, can score and post, strong legs,
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, swiss-knife type of perimeter player, pretty good defender with a clear role, can use his abilities as a playmaker too, long and athletic.
Justise Winslow, another similar guy, more versatile than Rondae, can play both SG and SF, can defend from 1-4, better shooter than what you can imagine, serious guy, kawhileonard-esque type of demeanor.
Kristaps Porzingis, I doubt that he last that long, all the tools, he needs to add weight since he is thin, but go the length and is a really interesting prospects, likes to play D and is a really good shotblocker, has range on offense, seems to be a mix between sheed wallace and young pau, intriguing.
Isaac Hamilton, another Hamilton brother, Jordan is in Toronto now, after Denver and Houston, his older brother is playing overseas, and Daniel the younger is a 5 star recruit for UConn, he should get a lot of burn since UCLA needs playmaker, pay attention to Norman Powell too, pretty good scorer, with a shot first mentality, intriguing athlete too.
Myles Turner, face up Center with shooting skills, long and pretty good at defending using that, shot blocker, will play a ton of PF at Texas next to Cam Ridley (another interesting guy, more for the second half of the 1st round, big and mean Center/perkins-esque), will probably declare if he stays healthy, got some injuries, could be from growing pains, could still get bigger, is already around 7-0/7-1.

I can see the Suns going after a PF in the FA, and drafting the best pieces available using all the picks like last year, I, personally, will go after Kanter, Utah might be to compromise to re-sign himif you offer something around 40m$ for 3 years, the other options, like Millsap, are safer but not as sexy and the potential is more limited.

Personally I will draft an interior guy and a perimeter player, leaving the 2nd round pick for an euro, or for drafting somebody and sending them overseas/dleague, even selling or trading the pick, if you need it to go up for somebody or w/e.
Porzingis for me is the best you can get with the 8th pick from LA, with Hezonja and Oubre being close.
With the 12th, or in the 12-14 range, I love the defensive prospects like Winslow or RHJ, giving the nod to the dukie since he is a little bit more versatile and could play SG, and I also like the LeVert fit.
It's just that the bigs, other than the latvian, dont have as much potential as some of the late lotto wings, at least that seems to be the case right now, so you can gamble later with a wing, more than with a big.
If you love Oubre or Hezonja, that can make sense too, drafting Brice Johnson or Portis in the latelotto is notbad either.

Dragic-Thomas-Ennis
Goodwin-Winslow or LeVert-Bogdanovic
Tucker-Warren-Morris
Kanter or Millsap-Morris-Porzingis
Plumlee-Len-Brown

That's a good offseason and a realistic scenario.

You never know with the draft though, is possible that all of the Porzingis, Hezonja, Oubre, and LeVert go top7, along with Mudiay, Towns, and Okafor, for example.
I'm not that sold on Alexander, and I don't see him as a good fit with Plumlee, Len and TJ Warren, plus Dragic.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#18 » by No-Man » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:49 am

bwgood77 wrote: For example, mid season last year I pointed out how good TJ Warren was looking when he kind of came out of nowhere.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry what? mcdonalds all american, 5 star and one of the top20 players of his class? clearly an offensive juggernaut at college level, since he was kind of the best bench scorer in the nation as a freshmen? clearly going to get a huge role at NCSt. with the departures of Wood, Leslie and Howell?

out of nowhere? :crazy:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#19 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Fischella wrote:
bwgood77 wrote: For example, mid season last year I pointed out how good TJ Warren was looking when he kind of came out of nowhere.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry what? mcdonalds all american, 5 star and one of the top20 players of his class? clearly an offensive juggernaut at college level, since he was kind of the best bench scorer in the nation as a freshmen? clearly going to get a huge role at NCSt. with the departures of Wood, Leslie and Howell?

out of nowhere? :crazy:

Yeah, he didn't have nearly the hype as many others after his freshman year and was quite under the radar with the incoming class. I don't think many predicted him as a lottery pick before the year or expected him to outplay everyone in the ACC including Jabari Parker to win player of the year and carry and otherwise crap team to the tourney.

I'm sure you, Fischella, self proclaimed draft expert of all draft experts, scouring individual team message boards draft threads on the REAL GM to argue with people knew he'd do all this, but I don't think many people expected it.

About the only college basketball analyst that mentioned him AT ALL in preseason stuff as maybe being an impact type player was Mark Titus.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,329

Post#20 » by TASTIC » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:25 pm

MathiasPW wrote:I am gonna bet $10 that we draft a PG...

Is the lesser Harrison twin a PG?

If he is, $50 on him.

Or if there are any more Plumlees or Zellers, we're in!

Return to Phoenix Suns