Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Re: 2015 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#21 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:55 pm

TASTIC wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:I am gonna bet $10 that we draft a PG...

Is the lesser Harrison twin a PG?

If he is, $50 on him.

Or if there are any more Plumlees or Zellers, we're in!

The lesser one is the shooting guard, so we'll pass.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#22 » by No-Man » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:00 am

Okay, I got my first Mock, still too early I think, but I was bored, out, in case any of you is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1346018

I give you the Lakers pick, the 10th, plus yours, the 13th, with Cliff Alexander, big physical PF with rebounding skills and good passer, aggresive demeanor on offense, plus Caris LeVert, skilled swingmen that can pass, create, run the floor and defend, pretty long arms, as the elections.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#23 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:03 pm

Fischella wrote:Okay, I got my first Mock, still too early I think, but I was bored, out, in case any of you is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1346018

I give you the Lakers pick, the 10th, plus yours, the 13th, with Cliff Alexander, big physical PF with rebounding skills and good passer, aggresive demeanor on offense, plus Caris LeVert, skilled swingmen that can pass, create, run the floor and defend, pretty long arms, as the elections.

Hard to know how I feel about who the Suns take without watching the college season. Interesting to see you think the Knicks will be better than the Raptors, that the Hawks will miss the playoffs and that the Mavs finish so high. I think the Mavs will be better than most expect too though...will be a little surprised if the Clips finish with the best record, but things will be really tight 1-8 or more in the west so the order will probably largely depend on injuries.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#24 » by No-Man » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30 pm

The Hawks got the right to swap their pick with Brooklyn, is Brooklyn the one that is out.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#25 » by nevetsov » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:38 am

There has to be an Archie Griffin in this draft for us to pick, surely...
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#26 » by gaspar » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:21 pm

This is pretty cool:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NylonCalculus/status/519896089731006464[/tweet]
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,102

Post#27 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:35 pm

gaspar wrote:This is pretty cool:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NylonCalculus/status/519896089731006464[/tweet]

Can you explain how this works?
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#28 » by gaspar » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:51 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:Can you explain how this works?

You can find best comparisons statistically for college players. For example here is top 10 best comps for Tyler Ennis last year:

MrMiyagi

Post#29 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Oct 8, 2014 7:30 pm

gaspar wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:Can you explain how this works?

You can find best comparisons statistically for college players. For example here is top 10 best comps for Tyler Ennis last year:

I get the purpose of it, but I'm not quite sure how their sliders work.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
MrMiyagi

Post#30 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Oct 8, 2014 7:39 pm

If I understand their equations correctly, it's basically just comparing the stat sheets, but you can pick and choose what stats are important and therefore skew your comparison. So basically it's the same problem as looking at the numbers of two players and pointing out the similarities.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#31 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:44 pm

Wow, Stanley Johnson looking awesome as a freshman in this first Maui tourney game. He is such a huge wing, and is just all over the place. He looks much more nba ready immediately than Aaron Gordon did early last year (or for that matter, than Aaron Gordon did at any time last year).
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Post#32 » by NavLDO » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Assuming we pick in the area of 13-14, that the LAL stink enough to where we don't get their pick this year, and the fact that Flip recently made a statement that Minny is now "rebuilding" vice "retooling", so we can kiss that pick goodbye as well, who are you all tracking as a good pick for us this next year? I know the draft board will change dramatically between now and when we pick, at least it will outside the top 5. But if we actually keep the pick and don't trade it away prior to the trade deadline, during FA, or during the draft itself, who should we be targeting?

Making the assumption we do ZERO between now and then, I think we need to target a PF. We likely wouldn't expect the player to start right away, so someone to play behind Kieff for now. And I would also expect that said prospect won't be much better than Kieff, if at all, so having 2 players at Kieff's level wouldn't be a bad thing. Do we target a guy that will be more of a "stretch 4", or a bruiser down low?

Here are a list of guys that are projected currently to go mid-to-late 1st Rd based on a couple of different sites. what are your thoughts for each? (Where ranked on NBADraft.net and DraftExpress, respectively, in parenthesis)

Montezl Harrell, Lou., Jr, 20 -- 6'8" 240 (6th, 17th)
Bobby Portis, Ark, Soph, 19 -- 6'10", 240 (13th, 22nd)
Kristaps Porzingas, Latvia, 19 -- 7', 220 (10th, 9th)
Chris McCullough, Syr, Frosh, 19 -- 6'9", 220 (7th, 24th)
Kevon Looney, UCLA, Frosh, 18, -- 6'9.5" 220 (9th, 8th)
Cliff Alexander, Kansas, Frosh, 19, -- 6'9" 250 (14th, 15th)
Trey Lyles, Kentucky, Frosh, 19, -- 6'10", 250 (17th, 50th) :o --holy dichotomy, Batman!!
Christian Wood, UNLV, Soph, 19, -- 6'11" 220 (20th, 35th)

I don't watch any College BB, so have no clue as to which of the rankings is more accurate. Size is, of course, a concern, and some of these kids will put on some muscle/weight once in the NBA, but personally, I'd like to see a guy that's 6'10" or taller, with a Wingspan of at least 7'2", and weighs at least 240 (or has the frame to add the weight), So I tried to add the guys that have at least 2 of the 3, with the exception of Chris McCullough, who has the Wingspan, just not the weight or height.

Which direction do you think we go? I know what we do at the trade deadline will go a long way in providing insight to which direction we go during the draft, so as mentioned, PF seems logical based on what we are today. I could also see us going SG or C, but hopefully our log jam at SF and PG will keep us away from those positions, unless some unbelievable talent falls to our draft slot, but even then, it better not be PG!!
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#33 » by kennydorglas » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:06 pm

I would target Bobby Portis with our pick.
If Ilimane Diop declares, i'd jump on him too.

If we're lucky enough to get that Lakers pick, i'd cry if KTJr somehow slipped to us.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
MrMiyagi

Post#34 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:46 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Wow, Stanley Johnson looking awesome as a freshman in this first Maui tourney game. He is such a huge wing, and is just all over the place. He looks much more nba ready immediately than Aaron Gordon did early last year (or for that matter, than Aaron Gordon did at any time last year).

Stanimal is looking good, but how about Rondae. HE CAN HIT THREES NOW!!!!!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#35 » by bwgood77 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:47 am

NavLDO wrote:Assuming we pick in the area of 13-14, that the LAL stink enough to where we don't get their pick this year, and the fact that Flip recently made a statement that Minny is now "rebuilding" vice "retooling", so we can kiss that pick goodbye as well, who are you all tracking as a good pick for us this next year? I know the draft board will change dramatically between now and when we pick, at least it will outside the top 5. But if we actually keep the pick and don't trade it away prior to the trade deadline, during FA, or during the draft itself, who should we be targeting?

Making the assumption we do ZERO between now and then, I think we need to target a PF. We likely wouldn't expect the player to start right away, so someone to play behind Kieff for now. And I would also expect that said prospect won't be much better than Kieff, if at all, so having 2 players at Kieff's level wouldn't be a bad thing. Do we target a guy that will be more of a "stretch 4", or a bruiser down low?

Here are a list of guys that are projected currently to go mid-to-late 1st Rd based on a couple of different sites. what are your thoughts for each? (Where ranked on NBADraft.net and DraftExpress, respectively, in parenthesis)

Montezl Harrell, Lou., Jr, 20 -- 6'8" 240 (6th, 17th)
Bobby Portis, Ark, Soph, 19 -- 6'10", 240 (13th, 22nd)
Kristaps Porzingas, Latvia, 19 -- 7', 220 (10th, 9th)
Chris McCullough, Syr, Frosh, 19 -- 6'9", 220 (7th, 24th)
Kevon Looney, UCLA, Frosh, 18, -- 6'9.5" 220 (9th, 8th)
Cliff Alexander, Kansas, Frosh, 19, -- 6'9" 250 (14th, 15th)
Trey Lyles, Kentucky, Frosh, 19, -- 6'10", 250 (17th, 50th) :o --holy dichotomy, Batman!!
Christian Wood, UNLV, Soph, 19, -- 6'11" 220 (20th, 35th)

I don't watch any College BB, so have no clue as to which of the rankings is more accurate. Size is, of course, a concern, and some of these kids will put on some muscle/weight once in the NBA, but personally, I'd like to see a guy that's 6'10" or taller, with a Wingspan of at least 7'2", and weighs at least 240 (or has the frame to add the weight), So I tried to add the guys that have at least 2 of the 3, with the exception of Chris McCullough, who has the Wingspan, just not the weight or height.

Which direction do you think we go? I know what we do at the trade deadline will go a long way in providing insight to which direction we go during the draft, so as mentioned, PF seems logical based on what we are today. I could also see us going SG or C, but hopefully our log jam at SF and PG will keep us away from those positions, unless some unbelievable talent falls to our draft slot, but even then, it better not be PG!!

There are a ton of bigs, so if there is one we like, we should get him. We have so many guards and wings, I would go for a center or big PF. Montrezl Harrell might be a guy who was there, and if you read Mark Titus on Grantland he has some interesting things to say about him...he could be there...

But it really still depends on how things pan out. I have a REALLY good feeling about Stanley Johnson. The guy is LeBron/Artest size and has extreme confidence and just seems to know how to win.

Myles Turner could be there, but he's a raw freshman.

A guy like Harrell would probably contribute quicker but likely wouldn't have the upside of a guy like Stanley Johnson.

Porzingis, from everything I've read is firmly in the top 4 with Towns, Okafor and Mudiay.

And here is what Mark Titus (ex Ohio St college player who has hilarious articles about college ball) said about Harrell in his ACC preview....

Best College Player: Montrezl Harrell (Louisville)

On March 1, 2014, Louisville played at Memphis, and with 10:42 left in the game and Louisville trailing by two, Harrell was forced to shoot a 3-pointer before the shot clock expired. He made it. It was his second career 3, and it was only the third time that he even attempted one. The interesting thing about that play is that if you showed it to a basketball fan who’d never heard of Harrell, that fan would be convinced that Harrell regularly makes 3s. This may sound crazy, but it’s true: When I look back on a season full of huge shots, great games, and compelling story lines, I’ll never forget Harrell making that 3. It just caught me so off-guard. It felt like I had witnessed the birth of a superstar.

WHOA! You mean to tell me that the big man who destroys opponents on the low block, is a rebounding machine, and looks like he might shatter the backboard when he dunks also has THAT in his arsenal? May God have mercy on the rest of college basketball if he comes back next season.

Memphis won that game by six and Harrell finished with a career-high 25 points and 12 rebounds. Of course, none of that mattered to me. All I cared about was being ahead of the curve. I told myself that one day people would be shocked to see Montrezl Harrell making multiple 3s per game. They would wonder how a guy who had shot 46 percent from the free throw line the previous year suddenly learned how to make it rain from the perimeter. And that’s when I’d smile like a proud parent because I’d known that he had it in him ever since that Memphis game.

Fast-forward nine months to November 14, 2014. The first marquee game of the college basketball season, Louisville versus Minnesota at the Armed Forces Classic, begins with the Cardinals winning the tip. And on the first possession of Louisville’s 2014-15 season, this happened:

(click on link below to go to article with videos)

Harrell finished 3-for-4 from the 3-point line against Minnesota. He scored 30 points, pulled down seven boards, and went 9-of-10 from the free throw line as Louisville won by 13. Montrezl Harrell is about to rip through college basketball like a Sharknado where the sharks have chain saws for arms, the tornado is made of fire, and the sounds of the destruction are washed out by Florida Georgia Line songs.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2014- ... se-orange/

Since you said you don't follow college basketball, I will add that Harrell will probably be more ready to contribute immediately than most rookies because he isn't a one and done. Also, he has played under Pitino. The last center who played under Pitino? Gorgui Dieng, who David Thorpe (who is the espn insider who writes about and ranks rookies and second year players) rates as the best second year player currently from last year's draft. Anyone who has played under Pitino is going to play good defense, have good fundamentals, and likely have a lot of stamina.

Actually, here is the video from that article and the highlights from Harrell's 30 pt game to open the season.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHnAKaNPMJ8#t=15[/youtube]
NavLDO

Post#36 » by NavLDO » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:00 am

bwgood77 wrote:Since you said you don't follow college basketball, I will add that Harrell will probably be more ready to contribute immediately than most rookies because he isn't a one and done. Also, he has played under Pitino. The last center who played under Pitino? Gorgui Dieng, who David Thorpe (who is the espn insider who writes about and ranks rookies and second year players) rates as the best second year player currently from last year's draft. Anyone who has played under Pitino is going to play good defense, have good fundamentals, and likely have a lot of stamina.

Actually, here is the video from that article and the highlights from Harrell's 30 pt game to open the season.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHnAKaNPMJ8#t=15[/youtube]

Thanks, man! Yeah, he looks like a man among boys, and obviously not due to his height. He looks and plays strong. Would be nice to get a rookie that could contribute fairly early, and since he's a junior, better chance of that happening with him than a lot of the other kids likely to go in the lottery.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#37 » by bwgood77 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:24 pm

NavLDO wrote:Thanks, man! Yeah, he looks like a man among boys, and obviously not due to his height. He looks and plays strong. Would be nice to get a rookie that could contribute fairly early, and since he's a junior, better chance of that happening with him than a lot of the other kids likely to go in the lottery.

Interesting that in Ford's recently updated mock draft, he has us taking Harrell at 18

The Morris twins have been largely holding down the power forward spot for the Suns, but adding Harrell would make it even stronger. Harrell is a more explosive athlete, a better rebounder and shot blocker. He lacks the Morris' ability to drain 3s, but adds some toughness to a Suns front line that can be a little on the soft side.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/moc ... fresh=true
NavLDO

Post#38 » by NavLDO » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:37 am

bwgood77 wrote:
NavLDO wrote:Thanks, man! Yeah, he looks like a man among boys, and obviously not due to his height. He looks and plays strong. Would be nice to get a rookie that could contribute fairly early, and since he's a junior, better chance of that happening with him than a lot of the other kids likely to go in the lottery.

Interesting that in Ford's recently updated mock draft, he has us taking Harrell at 18

The Morris twins have been largely holding down the power forward spot for the Suns, but adding Harrell would make it even stronger. Harrell is a more explosive athlete, a better rebounder and shot blocker. He lacks the Morris' ability to drain 3s, but adds some toughness to a Suns front line that can be a little on the soft side.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/moc ... fresh=true

Which means he just jinx'd us! Thanks, Chad Ford...for nothing! :wink: Ah well, I'm sure who ever else we get will be just fine.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#39 » by Bogyo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:50 pm

I liked him last year as well, think we could have had him with our second pick. Seems like a hard worker, and smart enough to stay in school for one more year to work on the problem areas of his game under Pitino.
Would be nice to get him, but if he keeps this up he might go around (below?) 10, which is too high for us.
NavLDO

Post#40 » by NavLDO » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:38 pm

So as I mentioned above, I think they target a PF. Does anyone here think they go in another direction, like SG? Or if we draft (somehow magically, we make the Playoffs) in the 18-20 range, does position go out the window and we just select the best player on our board?

I know most GMs/HCs will claim that is the way they draft regardless, but honestly, they surely at least narrow it down to two positions, right? I mean, if you are Cleveland and stink to high heaven this year and somehow get lucky in the lottery and draft #1, AND they retain Kevin Love and LeBron, they aren't drafting a PF or SF, right?

Anyway, let's pretend we draft #1 overall, and Len starts the rest of the year and finishes with a season 14/9/1.5(blks)--do we take Mudiay over Okafor? Do we take Towns, Jr. as a PF? How would our draft strategy be affected if we had All-NBA players at PG and Center?

Just curious how you guys think they would draft. Also, if magically, we get the Laker's pick and it's #6 overall, and Mudiay, Towns, Hezonja, Okafor, and heck, Porzingis are all gone. Would they grab Oubre, Justice Winslow or Stanley Johnson at the SF position, knowing we just drafted Warren? Or would they "reach" for Kevon Looney or Cliff Alexander at PF, or D'Angelo Russell at SG and claim he was the highest on our board?

Return to Phoenix Suns