ImageImageImage

Offseason Thread 6: The Not So Mexican Stand-off Continues

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,289

Re: Offseason Thread 6: The Not So Mexican Stand-off Continu 

Post#1801 » by Calvin Klein » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:31 pm

BurningHeart wrote:Al Horford is really, really, really overrated. My goodness. Really damn good player, no doubt, but you'd think the guy is Tim Duncan the way people carry on about him.

Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris, Alex Len, AND the Lakers pick? AND that's only if Markieff takes "another step"?!

Hooooooooooooly mackerel, dude.

Markieff Morris is fine. More than fine. We need depth behind the bigs and for Alex Len to continue improving. That's all.

I wouldn't trade that lakers pick but I'd definitely pull the trigger for the rest.
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,189

Post#1802 » by Sunsdeuce » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:09 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:Per 36 paints about 1/3 the actual picture.

Tim Duncan only averaged 15 pts and about 9.5 rebounds a game. At first glance, those numbers look very comparable to markieff. But it does not even begin to tell a story of how much better, effective, and important Duncan is than markeiff. Duncan even at his age effects the game in countless ways markeiff will never begin to be able to do. Duncan still requires double teams and he makes the game so much easier for Parker and Manu thus making them so much more effective.

Comparing Horford to markieff is comparing apples and oranges. They have totally different effect on the game.

What people are saying when they say they want a stud PF is they want someone who can control the pace, flow, and alter the game with their ability down low. Markieff does affect the game, he is more of a compliment to the game than actual game changer.

Bottomline is markieff is a very good complimentary piece at PF for the suns but he isn't a game changer.

In the last 7/8 years, I have really gotten into football big time. Football has made me understand that stats don't tell everything(in fact they are only a little piece to understanding what makes players important or not). You have to break down game tape. Quick example. Dan Williams of the az cards, puts up tiny numbers but his ability to clog lanes is a huge reason the cards are elite at stopping the run. Yes, football is not basketball but it teaches you to look beyond the numbers.

Look beyond the numbers and you will understand how much more of effect on the game Horford had than markieff.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Good post. I agree fully. Same can be said about PJ Tucker :D

Lol, you had to go there with tucker (my fault for making it very well known how much I dislike tucker).

“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,517

Post#1803 » by Jdiddy701 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:19 pm

I am pumped for this season! Was kinda down before Bledsoe and Zoran signed but gonna be a good one now.

One player in particular that matters the most this upcoming season - Markieff Morris.
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant

Offseason Thread 6: The Not So Mexican Stand-off Continues 

Post#1804 » by Sunsdeuce » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:15 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:I am pumped for this season! Was kinda down before Bledsoe and Zoran signed but gonna be a good one now.

One player in particular that matters the most this upcoming season - Markieff Morris.

Have to totally agree. If he jumps and performs at an all-star level and require double team, we will be a playoff team. Since there is almost no depth behind him. I see him playing a lot of minutes. If he disappears in games, like in the past, I don't see playoffs. Hopefully, he plays like a beast more often than disappearing.

My big worry is besides plumlee and markieff, there is NOBODY to bang and get rebounds in he paint. There is a lot of guys who can get the long rebounds but only plum and keiff for the in the paint rebounds (sorry but tucker isn't getting rebounds over guys like Horford, Duncan, gasols, etc. and dont even get me started on tollivers candya$$). And keiff if the only player right now with the capability to post up. That's scary. Keiff goes down for a long stretch, it may get ugly.

CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,934

Post#1805 » by carey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:42 am

Y'all are still underestimating how much Tolliver is going to play for us. There's a reason we went after him as soon as we knew Frye was gone. He won't start unless Kieff wets the bed, but he's going to play. A lot.
Jdiddy701
RealGM

Post#1806 » by Jdiddy701 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:46 am

When I think of Anthony Tolliver.. I think of..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqc1MNA3GZ0
SunsFanSSOL
Sixth Man
And1: 884

Post#1807 » by SunsFanSSOL » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:46 am

NaturalBuns wrote:
SF88 wrote:There's an idiot named "Shem" on the GB in the Bledsoe thread and he has to be one of the dumbest motha*** on the planet. And I don't mean dumb by just basketball standards, but everything.

Kerrsed schooled him at math and he threatened to report him to the admin because apparently, you can't point out the idiocy in someone if you are a mod.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1346523&start=220

Even a fellow Blazers fan went and put him on blast.

He loves lillard

His passive aggressive winky faces are annoying.
Blackification
Head Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#1808 » by Blackification » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:54 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Goran_Dragic/status/515951398438309888[/tweet]

:D
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#1809 » by DRK » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:59 am

Shem is the same tool that I argued with about Dragic being more deserving than Lillard to make the ASG.
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
carey
Assistant Coach

Post#1810 » by carey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:03 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:When I think of Anthony Tolliver.. I think of..

Yeah, me too. We probably need to think 41% from 3 for now though.
carey
Assistant Coach

Post#1811 » by carey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:07 am

SunsFanSSOL wrote:His passive aggressive winky faces are annoying.

You can't argue with a guy that doesn't understand basic logic. We came up $2M a year, he came down $2M a year. Everyone wins, or loses. It's so basic that someone that doesn't understand it isn't worth arguing with. I was going to reply in that thread myself and it just seemed pointless.
Krush32
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#1812 » by Krush32 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:31 am

I remember that whole game. Amare was unstoppable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJQm04yD7E
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,048

Post#1813 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:48 am

NaturalBuns wrote:
SF88 wrote:There's an idiot named "Shem" on the GB in the Bledsoe thread and he has to be one of the dumbest motha*** on the planet. And I don't mean dumb by just basketball standards, but everything.

Kerrsed schooled him at math and he threatened to report him to the admin because apparently, you can't point out the idiocy in someone if you are a mod.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1346523&start=220

Even a fellow Blazers fan went and put him on blast.

He loves lillard

Looks like a guy not even worth arguing with. If people can't understand math, negotiations, and meeting in the middle, what can you do? The reason I said all along the Suns shouldn't just come out publicly and up their offer was because they would lose leverage. They never came off it, regardless of all the dumb posturing and manufactured stories coming from the other side. So eventually Bledsoe and Paul negotiated and had to meet in the middle which is what happened.

And it's funny, everyone killed the TWolves for not giving Love 5 years when they were able to, but with the Suns people are saying they lost by giving the extra year. Makes no sense when our training staff obviously feels ok about him medically. Bledsoe isn't as good as Love, but any potential all star talent you lock up for as long as possible. Knowing about the tv deal now makes it even more imperative than when Love signed his deal.

Some of the people in that thread amaze we with their stupidity, especially that guy that you mentioned.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#1814 » by RunDogGun » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:51 am

This is the Tolliver you should think of now, although he was dunked on by Amare, Tolliver had good games against us that year.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t5jtORAorcc
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant

Post#1815 » by Sunsdeuce » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:51 am

carey wrote:Y'all are still underestimating how much Tolliver is going to play for us. There's a reason we went after him as soon as we knew Frye was gone. He won't start unless Kieff wets the bed, but he's going to play. A lot.

If tolliver plays "a lot" were in big trouble.

CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
Split T
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#1816 » by Split T » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:02 am

BurningHeart wrote:Al Horford is really, really, really overrated. My goodness. Really damn good player, no doubt, but you'd think the guy is Tim Duncan the way people carry on about him.

Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris, Alex Len, AND the Lakers pick? AND that's only if Markieff takes "another step"?!

Hooooooooooooly mackerel, dude.

Markieff Morris is fine. More than fine. We need depth behind the bigs and for Alex Len to continue improving. That's all.

We've got depth, what we need is a difference maker that can start and give us 30-35 minutes of all-star level play. I don't see markieff ever becoming that. Horford is that. And Len is a mystery, who knows what he turns into. I'd turn the Morri, Len and the lakers pick into horford in a heart beat. And Atlanta would shoot it down in a heart beat too.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#1817 » by Revived » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:02 am

Blackification wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Goran_Dragic/status/515951398438309888[/tweet]

Suns should have a "Buy one brother's jersey and get the other brother's half off" promotion :D
Jdiddy701
RealGM

Post#1818 » by Jdiddy701 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:18 am

Sunsdeuce wrote:
carey wrote:Y'all are still underestimating how much Tolliver is going to play for us. There's a reason we went after him as soon as we knew Frye was gone. He won't start unless Kieff wets the bed, but he's going to play. A lot.

If tolliver plays "a lot" were in big trouble.

Lol

kingstyyyle
Senior
And1: 179

Post#1819 » by kingstyyyle » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:21 am

SF88 wrote:
Blackification wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Goran_Dragic/status/515951398438309888[/tweet]

Suns should have a "Buy one brother's jersey and get the other brother's half off" promotion :D

LOL I love this idea!
i505
Junior
And1: 237

Post#1820 » by i505 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:23 am

HurricaneKid wrote:I keep seeing mention of a 5th year. The only way a team can offer a 5 year deal it to pay the supermax. Which would be 5/90. Given that no one here wants to pay 4/64 its really not even a consideration. You CANNOT pay him say 5/75 next offseason. Its either 4 years or 5/90.

Oops.

Return to Phoenix Suns