ImageImageImage

Offseason Thread 7: A Tale Of Two Dragons

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,190

Post#261 » by Sunsdeuce » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:I wouldn't trade anyone because I don't think anyone has enough value to net us good assets in return...not anyone we are talking about trading.

I think there is a chance, but if we are in the playoff race, their isn't a point to trade a guy unless the return improves us. We have enough young guys, especially with two first round picks in one of the next few drafts.

Yeah but your only looking at the short term with this current team. I would completely agree with not trading anyone if we were really close to a championship but were not. We are building towards that goal. Standing pat makes no sense if you have an opportunity to improve (whether it be assets or acquiring a quality player). Tucker and as much as I like green, are short term and are taking up necessary cap space to improve.

I'm not looking for a fun little first round playoff run. Been there done that. I'm looking for championships. This requires improvement on the front line of the suns. And to improve the front line involves trading and having open cap space.

Yes the suns are going to be fun this year and possibly make the playoffs but the goal should be championship or bust!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
TheBledShow
Junior
And1: 39

Re: Offseason Thread 7: A Tale Of Two Dragons 

Post#262 » by TheBledShow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:31 am

I wouldn't even put Ennis on the floor yet, he was overrated because he went to Syraucse and he had "he's just a freshmen excuse" There were guards that went undrafted that produced much better in the Summer league, he should thank ESPN for the way they hyped him up I'm still shocked he was a 1st rounder in this years draft.

Ennis is just so raw, he's got a chance to be good but he left way to early, he won't see the floor at all except in the D league or if we are up a bunch.

Archie will get more minutes this year.

Zoran I don't know how good he is, or even if he's good at all? But he won't be playing more mins than Archie I think he's a 10-12 man on this team.
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant

Post#263 » by Sunsdeuce » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:34 am

TheBledShow wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:
TheBledShow wrote:PJ is not a guy I would trade until the Suns prove they can win with Warren.... Without PJ last year the Suns lost to the terrible cavs, in a game that Cavs controlled from the beginning he's truly the glue guy for this team.

Yeah and tucker cost the suns a few games too. I said it a million times before and I will say it again. Guys like tucker are a dime a dozen. Low skills, hard worker, and hustle guy, quite a few of them in the d league.

Who shoots 40% from the 3 and is the closet thing we have to a lockdown defender. If you can upgrade at SF than great but if you can't there is no point in trading PJ, he's not only a glue guy on the floor but in the locker room, Suns had talent last year but they also had a tight knit chemistry. In this system PJ is exactly what we want.

Your arguing with the wrong guy about tucker. Sorry but not impressed with a so called "40" percent three point shooter who can only shoot three in the corner and only wide open. Have him shoot a three at the top of the key and you have a better chance of winning the Arizona state lottery than tucker has at hitting a three. And don't confuse hustle with "lockdown" defense. Tucker is hustle not lockdown defense.

Oh an don't get me starting at his joke of dribbling and fast break skills. Don't forget the times he thinks he is Charles Barkley only to get the ball swatted back into his face.

If you like low iq, low skill, hustle guys, Tucker's your man. I don't know how many times I nearly broke my tv because tucker did his usual boneheaded plays. I'm done with it.

.....now I can breathe!!

Wish we could go through game threads last year.
Ever game, someone "besides me" says something like..
"Damn it tucker"
"Pass the damn ball tucker"
"What the f$&@ tucker"
"What the hell is tucker doing"

One I specifically remember and I can't remember who said it.
"I cringe everytime tucker has the ball in the open court"

CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#264 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:38 am

Sunsdeuce wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I wouldn't trade anyone because I don't think anyone has enough value to net us good assets in return...not anyone we are talking about trading.

I think there is a chance, but if we are in the playoff race, their isn't a point to trade a guy unless the return improves us. We have enough young guys, especially with two first round picks in one of the next few drafts.

Yeah but your only looking at the short term with this current team. I would completely agree with not trading anyone if we were really close to a championship but were not. We are building towards that goal. Standing pat makes no sense if you have an opportunity to improve (whether it be assets or acquiring a quality player). Tucker and as much as I like green, are short term and are taking up necessary cap space to improve.

I'm not looking for a funny little first round playoff run. Been there done that. I'm looking for championships. This requires improvement on the front line of the suns. And to improve the front line involves trading and having open cap space.

Yes the suns are going to be funny this year and possibly make the playoffs but the goal should be championship or bust!

I agree with your thoughts, but the problem is we don't really have assets at this point that will net us anything other than what I mentioned above. Thomas might be able to net us a decent asset with his contract but I think that would hurt our free agency prospects a bit in the long run if we dealt him this year.

I think in general GMs and fans have felt teams need to tank and/or find a superstar or bust or they cannot contend.

Keep in mind NO OTHER TEAM went after Nash when we did and our team was not good the year before and we quickly became a contender.

I think good coaching and team chemistry is underrated in this league and most all players that get drafted in the top 15 are worthy of being impact players in the league in the right environment. I think keeping a team together and building from within is a bit underrated.

Remember OKC lost in the first round 2-3 years before making the finals.

Sure we may not have the superstars they do, but can Bledsoe turn into something close to Westbrook and is our team as deep as the Spurs where our backups could possibly beat a good team? Yes. Don't underestimate depth either. Many good teams in this league suffer big time when they have to rest their starters. Our 2010 team is a great example of that. Were Grant Hill, Robin Lopez and JRich stars at that point? Was anyone on our bench a star? We had two all star caliber players plus a bunch of role players, and we have that now. Are Dragic and Bledsoe as good as Nash and Amare? No, but chemistry seems similar and I am not talking about going to the WCF this year.....can we get there in a few years, especially if a guy like TJ Warren turns into a stud we could be really close. I imagine we draft a big next year, and maybe two bigs, so who knows?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#265 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:41 am

TheBledShow wrote:I wouldn't even put Ennis on the floor yet, he was overrated because he went to Syraucse and he had "he's just a freshmen excuse" There were guards that went undrafted that produced much better in the Summer league, he should thank ESPN for the way they hyped him up I'm still shocked he was a 1st rounder in this years draft.

Ennis is just so raw, he's got a chance to be good but he left way to early, he won't see the floor at all except in the D league or if we are up a bunch.

Archie will get more minutes this year.

Zoran I don't know how good he is, or even if he's good at all? But he won't be playing more mins than Archie I think he's a 10-12 man on this team.

None of those guys get minutes at all if we are in the playoff race. Same with Randolph. That solves the minute problem posted on the breakdown. Why would you not give those guys' minutes to others if we are competitive? Unless they prove to be studs, which is doubtful. Keep in mind these guys are still extremely young and likely are just going to be overwhelmed playing against NBA talent. Many people don't realize the discrepancy between NBA talent and the talent these guys have faced in the past.
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant

Post#266 » by Sunsdeuce » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:41 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:

I'm not looking for a funny little first round playoff run. Been there done that. I'm looking for championships. This requires improvement on the front line of the suns. And to improve the front line involves trading and having open cap space.

Yes the suns are going to be funny this year and possibly make the playoffs but the goal should be championship or bust!

I agree with your thoughts, but the problem is we don't really have assets at this point that will net us anything other than what I mentioned above. Thomas might be able to net us a decent asset with his contract but I think that would hurt our free agency prospects a bit in the long run if we dealt him this year.

I think in general GMs and fans have felt teams need to tank and/or find a superstar or bust or they cannot contend.

Keep in mind NO OTHER TEAM went after Nash when we did and our team was not good the year before and we quickly became a contender.

I think good coaching and team chemistry is underrated in this league and most all players that get drafted in the top 15 are worthy of being impact players in the league in the right environment. I think keeping a team together and building from within is a bit underrated.

Remember OKC lost in the first round 2-3 years before making the finals.

Sure we may not have the superstars they do, but can Bledsoe turn into something close to Westbrook and is our team as deep as the Spurs where our backups could possibly beat a good team? Yes. Don't underestimate depth either. Many good teams in this league suffer big time when they have to rest their starters. Our 2010 team is a great example of that. Were Grant Hill, Robin Lopez and JRich stars at that point? Was anyone on our bench a star? We had two all star caliber players plus a bunch of role players, and we have that now. Are Dragic and Bledsoe as good as Nash and Amare? No, but chemistry seems similar and I am not talking about going to the WCF this year.....can we get there in a few years, especially if a guy like TJ Warren turns into a stud we could be really close. I imagine we draft a big next year, and maybe two bigs, so who knows?

And you bring up great points. I'll end it with a simple quote. "You can't teach size."

Btw, you have great posts. Love reading them, may not always agree but good posts.

Here's to a win in Denver! Go cards!! And it's looking like Palmer may not be ready to go. But we shall see.

You need to tweet more during the cards games.

CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#267 » by Jdiddy701 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:48 am

Quoting long posts is the worst thing you can do on forums.

Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant

Post#268 » by Sunsdeuce » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:49 am

Someone's using hair plugs.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sportscomedy_/status/516773172780089344[/tweet]

Going with the Clyde drexler look.

CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant

Post#269 » by Sunsdeuce » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:50 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:Quoting long posts is the worst thing you can do on forums.

Sorry, I'll cut them down. It's harder on the realgm mobile app.

CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#270 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:52 am

Sunsdeuce wrote:And you bring up great points. I'll end it with a simple quote. "You can't teach size."

Btw, you have great posts. Love reading them, may not always agree but good posts.

Here's to a win in Denver! Go cards!! And it's looking like Palmer may not be ready to go. But we shall see.

You need to tweet more during the cards games.

Thanks.

I'd love for the Cards to take care of Denver because it helps my two favorite teams, SD and AZ. AZ should return the favor of the Chargers taking care of the Seahawks and handing the Cards the win in the first game with a botched snap that took SD out of FG range.

I'm hoping SD can go into the Denver game at 6-1. They have been decimated by injuries though, on their third string RB and Center.

Super impressed by the Cards D after losing Dockett, Washington and Dansby. That coach is crazy good. Also impressed by the Chargers D. Rivers has been extremely impressive, even under pressure which has NEVER been the case. In my opinion he his among the very best QBs in the league if he has time in the pocket, but this year due to injuries he has had less time and still been effective.

If only the Cards could have Rivers and the Chargers could have Ellington. Both teams would be unstoppable, as long as those were doubles and didn't disappear from the other team. :D
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant

Post#271 » by Sunsdeuce » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:58 am

bwgood77 wrote:
I'd love for the Cards to take care of Denver because it helps my two favorite teams, SD and AZ. AZ should return the favor of the Chargers taking care of the Seahawks and handing the Cards the win in the first game with a botched snap that took SD out of FG range.

I'm hoping SD can go into the Denver game at 6-1. They have been decimated by injuries though, on their third string RB and Center.

Super impressed by the Cards D after losing Dockett, Washington and Dansby. That coach is crazy good. Also impressed by the Chargers D. Rivers has been extremely impressive, even under pressure which has NEVER been the case. In my opinion he his among the very best QBs in the league if he has time in the pocket, but this year due to injuries he has had less time and still been effective.

If only the Cards could have Rivers and the Chargers could have Ellington. Both teams would be unstoppable, as long as those were doubles and didn't disappear from the other team. :D

Best quote I have seen so far was on PFT week 3 power ranking.
"Arians isn't just coach of the year, he's coach of the century!"

CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
sdballer
Senior
And1: 269

Post#272 » by sdballer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:34 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:I have a feeling this year is going to be really special. Maybe not NBA finals special, but 'competing for the division' special. Something about this group of guys. Young, developing, happy, chemistry.
LAC and GSW hasn't done much to improve while we have. Losing Frye will hurt but I forsee big things.

Yep. I love that there are no egos on this team, all team guys.

Not sure I'd call IT a "no ego, team guy".
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#273 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:43 am

sdballer wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:I have a feeling this year is going to be really special. Maybe not NBA finals special, but 'competing for the division' special. Something about this group of guys. Young, developing, happy, chemistry.
LAC and GSW hasn't done much to improve while we have. Losing Frye will hurt but I forsee big things.

Yep. I love that there are no egos on this team, all team guys.

Not sure I'd call IT a "no ego, team guy".

Why is that?
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#274 » by thamadkant » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:55 am

Ideally Tucker and Green should be combined into 1 player.... a player who can score and be streaky and be a stopper in the defensive end.

Green + Tucker for Paul George :-)
lol

Thats what the Suns need badly.
JTrain
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#275 » by JTrain » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:58 am

Sunsdeuce wrote:Have him shoot a three at the top of the key and you have a better chance of winning the Arizona state lottery than tucker has at hitting a three.

http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.ht ... rID=200782

42.86%. Where can I get one of these lottery tickets? :P
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant

Post#276 » by Sunsdeuce » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:08 am

JTrain wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:Have him shoot a three at the top of the key and you have a better chance of winning the Arizona state lottery than tucker has at hitting a three.

7 total shoots attempted. nice try though.

Combined 6 for 23. 26%

So if deandre jordan shoots two three point shots the whole year and makes one (50%). Does that make him a great shooter?

CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
Blackification
Head Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#277 » by Blackification » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:25 am

Didnt know ennis picked number 4 haha our point guards are having fun with their situation
JTrain
Starter

Post#278 » by JTrain » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:31 am

Sunsdeuce wrote:
JTrain wrote:

Combined 6 for 23. 26%

So if deandre jordan shoots two three point shots the whole year and makes one (50%). Does that make him a great shooter?

He hit three out of seven. Small sample size but it's still not bad. Give him 30 shots from there and I guarantee he beats Jordan and the Lottery. Never said he was "a great shooter" from there.
JTrain
Starter

Post#279 » by JTrain » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:58 am

With Bledsoe back, IT is an interesting experiment. If it doesn't work well, we can use him, Archie and draft picks to get a good center.
MilotheSlayer
Senior
And1: 261

Post#280 » by MilotheSlayer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:14 am

JTrain wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:
JTrain wrote:

Combined 6 for 23. 26%

He hit three out of seven. Small sample size but it's still not bad. Give him 30 shots from there and I guarantee he beats Jordan and the Lottery. Never said he was "a great shooter" from there.

That's the beauty of our coach. He puts guys where they can succeed and do well. He puts Tucker in the corner and that is where he stays. Now sometimes he tries to do more and its frustrating but Horny has found his niche and ran with it.

Return to Phoenix Suns