Around the NBA

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,457

Re: Around The NBA: 2014/2015 

Post#1041 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 4, 2015 3:49 pm

letsgosuns wrote:The Spurs versus Clippers series was one of the best first round match ups in the history of the NBA. Almost every game was back and forth the entire time. This was basketball competition at its finest. The Suns organization should take note. Neither one of these teams have any kind of pathetically gimmicky dual point guard lineup or are undersized. The Spurs or Clippers would sweep the Suns in a best of seven series right now. Not even close. In fact, every top team in the league right now does not employ a dual point guard lineup. The only one that resembled a dual point guard lineup was the Mavs with Rondo and Ellis and that failed miserably. Suns gotta wake up already.

I agree it was a phenomenal series, but the reason they are great is because they have superstars and consensus #1 picks leading the teams. In the Clippers case, not only that consensus #1 pick, but a top 5 player in the NBA as well in Chris Paul.

I'm not saying I love the dual pg lineup, but simply saying we would be at their quality if we had a traditional SG is extremely short sighted.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1042 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 4, 2015 3:50 pm

LukasBMW wrote:Wasn't sure who to root for in the LAC/SAS series. The Suns have had a pretty chippy relationship with the Clippers, and Griffin's lucky 3 point shot earlier this season pretty much crushed our team confidence at a crucial time. But we all know the Spurs are the only thing that kept us from having a ring or two in the Nash/Amare/Marion era.

What sealed it for me was the Ginobli full court shot attempt foul. What a horrible call by the ref. The Spurs have always been cheaters and it was great to see them go down and get a taste of their own medicine with the questionable home court timer keeper ringing the buzzer early.

It's in my nature to root against the Spurs. They break my heart a lot, but when they lose a playoff series it's pure bliss for me.
letsgosuns
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#1043 » by letsgosuns » Mon May 4, 2015 8:13 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:The Spurs versus Clippers series was one of the best first round match ups in the history of the NBA. Almost every game was back and forth the entire time. This was basketball competition at its finest. The Suns organization should take note. Neither one of these teams have any kind of pathetically gimmicky dual point guard lineup or are undersized. The Spurs or Clippers would sweep the Suns in a best of seven series right now. Not even close. In fact, every top team in the league right now does not employ a dual point guard lineup. The only one that resembled a dual point guard lineup was the Mavs with Rondo and Ellis and that failed miserably. Suns gotta wake up already.

I agree it was a phenomenal series, but the reason they are great is because they have superstars and consensus #1 picks leading the teams. In the Clippers case, not only that consensus #1 pick, but a top 5 player in the NBA as well in Chris Paul.

I'm not saying I love the dual pg lineup, but simply saying we would be at their quality if we had a traditional SG is extremely short sighted.

I do not mean any random shooting guard brings the Suns up to elite level. I understand the need for stars. I am talking about the philosophy of how the team is utilized. If you took this year's Spurs roster and put those players in Suns uniforms with Hornacek, based on the way the Suns have done things, the team would start Tony Parker and Patty Mills and bring Danny Green off the bench. Their reasoning would be we want two ball handlers to be able to run the break. So instead of having a traditional lineup not at a disadvantage defensively, they would try to justify the pointlessness of having such a small backcourt. That is what I am saying. Hornacek purposefully wants a dual point guard system. He likes it. It makes no sense to me at all.

A big problem with what the Suns have done now by getting Knight is they have acquired another point guard in Knight that is too good to bring off the bench. He is a rising young point guard, just like Bledsoe. So the Suns immediately put themselves in a tough spot again. That situation of this guy is too good to bench, we have to play him. But then that screws over other players like Goodwin and Green who are natural shooting guards and it also messes up Bledsoe's game. Bledsoe will never fully reach his potential if he has to keep deferring to another point guard. Similarly to how Steve Nash requested a trade off the team because he was never going to get any better playing behind Jason Kidd and Kevin Johnson. Nash asked to run his own team and the Suns obliged his request. If that did not happen, he would never have become the player he was. (Btw, I am in no way comparing Bledsoe to Nash. I am only giving an example of what holding back a player's potential can do to stunt his growth.)

The actual structure of how the Suns want to build a team is the problem. They are starting their team off by saying, let's try something else that has never worked before but we want to do it anyway. The players do not like it but too bad. They will learn to adjust. (Hornacek basically said stuff like that throughout the season.) But why try to reinvent the wheel? This is common sense. Assuming talent is about equal, if Team A's players are bigger and stronger than Team B's players, who is going to win in a seven game series? The answer is obvious. Team A with the bigger and stronger players. Yet the Suns continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. They want this gimmicky, dual point guard team because it supposedly helps on the fast break. Since when does a team that solely relies on fast break points win a title. I have never seen it happen. Teams that have all stars and play the best defense in the league win championships. It is proven ever year. That is just the way it is.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1044 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 4, 2015 9:19 pm

letsgosuns wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I do not mean any random shooting guard brings the Suns up to elite level. I understand the need for stars. I am talking about the philosophy of how the team is utilized. If you took this year's Spurs roster and put those players in Suns uniforms with Hornacek, based on the way the Suns have done things, the team would start Tony Parker and Patty Mills and bring Danny Green off the bench. Their reasoning would be we want two ball handlers to be able to run the break. So instead of having a traditional lineup not at a disadvantage defensively, they would try to justify the pointlessness of having such a small backcourt. That is what I am saying. Hornacek purposefully wants a dual point guard system. He likes it. It makes no sense to me at all.

A big problem with what the Suns have done now by getting Knight is they have acquired another point guard in Knight that is too good to bring off the bench. He is a rising young point guard, just like Bledsoe. So the Suns immediately put themselves in a tough spot again. That situation of this guy is too good to bench, we have to play him. But then that screws over other players like Goodwin and Green who are natural shooting guards and it also messes up Bledsoe's game. Bledsoe will never fully reach his potential if he has to keep deferring to another point guard. Similarly to how Steve Nash requested a trade off the team because he was never going to get any better playing behind Jason Kidd and Kevin Johnson. Nash asked to run his own team and the Suns obliged his request. If that did not happen, he would never have become the player he was. (Btw, I am in no way comparing Bledsoe to Nash. I am only giving an example of what holding back a player's potential can do to stunt his growth.)

The actual structure of how the Suns want to build a team is the problem. They are starting their team off by saying, let's try something else that has never worked before but we want to do it anyway. The players do not like it but too bad. They will learn to adjust. (Hornacek basically said stuff like that throughout the season.) But why try to reinvent the wheel? This is common sense. Assuming talent is about equal, if Team A's players are bigger and stronger than Team B's players, who is going to win in a seven game series? The answer is obvious. Team A with the bigger and stronger players. Yet the Suns continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. They want this gimmicky, dual point guard team because it supposedly helps on the fast break. Since when does a team that solely relies on fast break points win a title. I have never seen it happen. Teams that have all stars and play the best defense in the league win championships. It is proven ever year. That is just the way it is.

Well it is kind of odd that McD did wanted to stick with the dual pg thing. Hornacek originally went with it due to the strengths of the roster he was given, and knowing it can work. I think it CAN IF they both can be elite shooters.

It worked with KJ and Hornacek because they were elite shooters. KJ not from 3, but his midrange pullup was money. Stockton and Hornacek too.

Many very good teams play with multiple ballhandlers though as the Suns did with Nash/Diaw, the Spurs with Parker, Manu, Diaw, the Heat with Wade and LeBron (AND another PG) and with Irving and LeBron. Harden is a SG who basically plays the PG position alongside another PG.

It really just boils down to the quality of the roster and how good the players are. The more guys that can handle the ball, the better, in my opinion, that way I don't cringe as often when someone brings it down the floor. But they need to be able to shoot, and size would be nice, but the 89-92 Suns were contenders and had two ballhandling guards that were 6'1 and 6'3. They ended up trading Hornacek for Barkley but really didn't fair any better (made one finals appearance but fewer WCF appearances than KJ with Hornacek). Many of the teams that knocked them out of the playoffs had more size, but it mainly boiled down, again, to more stars (Magic, Worthy, etc)...but of course they beat the Lakers in 5 in 90. http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... O-LAL.html
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,410

Post#1045 » by Revived » Tue May 5, 2015 7:15 am

There's only one team in the NBA that has two elite shooters starting in the backcourt and that's Golden State. And Klay is not a PG in any sense. LAC probably next closest and again, Redick isn't close to being a PG.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1046 » by Revived » Tue May 5, 2015 8:28 am

Man, the Bulls have such a toxic FO. Seriously, it's gotten this bad?

When a visiting scout visited the Bulls practice facility in the past year or so, he had the opportunity to watch the awkward, strange interplay between Bulls general manager Gar Forman and Thibodeau.

Eventually, the man walked into the office of an assistant coach and asked: "What the hell is the deal here?"

Before answering, the coach turned his fan on full blast. For the visitor, everything was becoming even stranger. He gave the assistant a befuddled look, as though to say, 'What are you doing?"

"I'm not taking any chances," the coach said, refusing to risk the possibility of those walls being bugged.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tom-thibodeau-makes-his-last-stand-with-the-bulls-072125079.html
Revived
RealGM

Post#1047 » by Revived » Sat May 9, 2015 9:00 am

LeBron moves past Steve Nash for #5 all time in assists.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1048 » by bwgood77 » Sat May 9, 2015 4:17 pm

SF88 wrote:LeBron moves past Steve Nash for #5 all time in assists.

Playoff assists, that is.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1049 » by Revived » Sat May 9, 2015 7:39 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
SF88 wrote:LeBron moves past Steve Nash for #5 all time in assists.

Playoff assists, that is.

Yes.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#1050 » by Damkac » Sun May 10, 2015 9:23 pm

Two amazing game winners in 2 days. First Rose, then Pierce. Mayby East Conference is not so boring after all :D

Oh, and LeBron now
Revived
RealGM

Post#1051 » by Revived » Mon May 11, 2015 2:09 am

Why does Shaq keep saying "Hack-A-Shaq never works"? He gets so oversensitive about it too.

Did he forget the Spurs series in 2008 when Pop kept hackin him and we lost that series mainly because of that? Spurs had no answer for Nash or Amare so they kept foulin Shaq.

The following season, Pop even played a joke on Shaq by intentionally fouling him on the first play next season just to remind how awful a FT shooter he is.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1052 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 11, 2015 3:22 am

SF88 wrote:Why does Shaq keep saying "Hack-A-Shaq never works"? He gets so oversensitive about it too.

Did he forget the Spurs series in 2008 when Pop kept hackin him and we lost that series mainly because of that? Spurs had no answer for Nash or Amare so they kept foulin Shaq.

The following season, Pop even played a joke on Shaq by intentionally fouling him on the first play next season just to remind how awful a FT shooter he is.

They just need to change the rule and allow a team to decline the penalty like in football. The whole reason for a penalty is to penalize a team for their action, not reward them, so if that can be exploited, rules need to change. When people like Pop say "well people need to hit their free throws" it's true, but also BS because he doesn't have any really poor FT shooters.

I can't believe how many games came down to huge banked in shots...Pierce, Rose, Gasol last night to put the game out of reach.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1053 » by Revived » Mon May 11, 2015 3:30 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SF88 wrote:Why does Shaq keep saying "Hack-A-Shaq never works"? He gets so oversensitive about it too.

They just need to change the rule and allow a team to decline the penalty like in football. The whole reason for a penalty is to penalize a team for their action, not reward them, so if that can be exploited, rules need to change. When people like Pop say "well people need to hit their free throws" it's true, but also BS because he doesn't have any really poor FT shooters.

I can't believe how many games came down to huge banked in shots...Pierce, Rose, Gasol last night to put the game out of reach.

Imo they should do it where their allowed to do the "hack-a" until their over the foul limit. Then any foul away from the ball means they can pick who shoots the FTs.

That way we're not completely rewarding bad FT shooting.

Back to my topic though, watch Shaq bag on hack a shaq more saying it doesn't work when it clearly did work vs him in 2008.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1054 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 11, 2015 3:43 am

SF88 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Imo they should do it where their allowed to do the "hack-a" until their over the foul limit. Then any foul away from the ball means they can pick who shoots the FTs.

That way we're not completely rewarding bad FT shooting.

Back to my topic though, watch Shaq bag on hack a shaq more saying it doesn't work when it clearly did work vs him in 2008.

Well I pay zero attention to Shaq. They never should have added him. Webber was 1000x better. Adding Shaq made the show worse.
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Around The NBA: 2014/2015 

Post#1055 » by Jdiddy701 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:17 am

I don't know - I kinda agree what Shaq is saying. It doesn't always work. I think it helped the Clippers vs the Spurs when they were doing it.

I hope they don't change the rule.. Players just need to learn to make freethrows. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#1056 » by Saberestar » Mon May 11, 2015 7:37 am

The rules have to change...it is boring.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#1057 » by Damkac » Mon May 11, 2015 7:58 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GuyHaberman/status/597526016492498944[/tweet]
:lol: :rofl2: :rofl:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1058 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:23 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:I don't know - I kinda agree what Shaq is saying. It doesn't always work. I think it helped the Clippers vs the Spurs when they were doing it.

I hope they don't change the rule.. Players just need to learn to make freethrows. Period.

Don't like this argument. The rule as it stands, and the way it is exploited would be similar to the nfl having a rule where if a team committed a penalty the other team was rewarded a field goal try, taking away their chance at a td. So if they were inside the 1 yard line with first down, the defensive team would take the strategy of committing the penalty, forcing them to kick a field goal.

The whole mentality of "They don't have a higher probability of getting more points if we don't commit a foul/penalty, so lets break a rule to benefit us" is ludicrous.
Cutter
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1059 » by Cutter » Tue May 12, 2015 12:12 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:I don't know - I kinda agree what Shaq is saying. It doesn't always work. I think it helped the Clippers vs the Spurs when they were doing it.

Agree. If DeAndre Jordan comes back next year and can hit at least 60-65% free throw, other teams will quit the hack-a-Shaq on him. Just hit your free throws and this strategy goes away.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1060 » by bwgood77 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:37 am

I never understood why the Clips stopped using Hawes. They had a short lineup and he can stretch it....nailing 3s tonight.

Return to Phoenix Suns