Post#1 » by bigfoot » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:02 am

Carry on with crazy azz ideas about trading for a meaningful PF or C
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Re: Official Trade Thread: Two drink minimum 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:42 am

Well since I don't think a premier center or Horford will be available (Horford might be if he continues to be injury prone or just doesn't return as nearly the player he once was, but I don't see why they'd trade him if he comes back as the top notch player he is), I will go with what I posted earlier.

IF Kief doesn't work well as a starter with the slash bros because of the inability to stretch the floor effectively and IF, Horford and Antic are effective starting together, I could see the Hawks trading Millsap since they will potentially lose him in free agency anyway.

So in this case, or even if they are worried about continuing to stretch the floor enough with the Horford/Antic frontcourt, I could see a Green and Tolliver plus pick or young player (Ennis or Goodwin?) for Millsap.

I think with Millsap starting and stretching the floor like he proved last year is actually an upgrade from Frye because besides shooting a similar % as Frye did from deep he does a lot of other things better and that really makes our bench the strength it was last year with the twins coming off it together. It also unclogs our swing rotation a bit and allows us to not have to play Green at the three allowing Warren more time and eventually possibly turning PJ into a trade asset if we feel Warren and Marcus deserve all the minutes at the 3.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#3 » by LukasBMW » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:47 am

With or core locked up, maybe the plan is to tank this year?

We get a top 3 pick (ours) and we force the Lakers out of the top 5.

We pick 1-3, and we get the Lakers pick (6-9).

Then we just hope Minnesota finishes 12th and we get 3 lottery picks.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#4 » by Zelaznyrules » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:59 am

Send Ennis and our 1st round pick to Atlanta for Payne. Use Keef down low instead of the current experiment. Adreian might not be ready for prime time but he'll just have to learn on the fly.
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#5 » by Flying Colors » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:14 am

LukasBMW wrote:With or core locked up, maybe the plan is to tank this year?

makes me wonder what we do with those picks, we have to package two of them in a trade to get a stud player i imagine
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#6 » by bigfoot » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:06 am

LukasBMW wrote:With or core locked up, maybe the plan is to tank this year?

:jawdrop:Premature tankulation !!! :jawdrop:
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#7 » by DirtyDez » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:18 am

Lakers don't even look average so I'm legitimately worried about that protection. Luckily it eases up top-3 the next year. Last summer we had #14 and #18 and it wasn't enough to trade up. If we get lucky and it ends up in the 6-9 range we could pair them and easily move up IMO.

With Dragic's cap hit being significant I think the draft-route to improve the team is more realistic than FA.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#8 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:48 am

Yeah I'm hoping we see some vintage Kobe carrying the "team"
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#9 » by gaspar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:57 am

This board would be so much better without this thread for a month or two. Just let our guys play and prove what they are worth.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,406

Post#10 » by Revived » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:39 am

Boy do I wish we pulled the trade for Asik was he was available this summer. He was also killing it out there.

14 pts, 17 rebounds and 5 blocks in 34 mins in his debut with the Pelicans.

I really wish we send Plumlee to Houston for him. I know Asik is gonna be a FA but I don't see him leaving/them letting him leave New Orleans. Had we traded for him, we could have probably kept him here cause he would have have perhaps like the system, players and coaches.

One of the best defensive and rebounding Cs in the NBA and that's exactly what the Suns weakness is also.
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#11 » by SideSwipe » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:30 am

Zelaznyrules wrote:Send Ennis and our 1st round pick to Atlanta for Payne. Use Keef down low instead of the current experiment. Adreian might not be ready for prime time but he'll just have to learn on the fly.

I do like Payne, though your offer may be a tad rich for me. If we are a 7 or 8 seed, that would be 2 #18 picks for Payne. It would seem there could be a deal in there somewhere, but not sure what pieces would be good, fair value.
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#12 » by JDLAW » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:33 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Well since I don't think a premier center or Horford will be available (Horford might be if he continues to be injury prone or just doesn't return as nearly the player he once was, but I don't see why they'd trade him if he comes back as the top notch player he is), I will go with what I posted earlier.

IF Kief doesn't work well as a starter with the slash bros because of the inability to stretch the floor effectively and IF, Horford and Antic are effective starting together, I could see the Hawks trading Millsap since they will potentially lose him in free agency anyway.

So in this case, or even if they are worried about continuing to stretch the floor enough with the Horford/Antic frontcourt, I could see a Green and Tolliver plus pick or young player (Ennis or Goodwin?) for Millsap.

I think with Millsap starting and stretching the floor like he proved last year is actually an upgrade from Frye because besides shooting a similar % as Frye did from deep he does a lot of other things better and that really makes our bench the strength it was last year with the twins coming off it together. It also unclogs our swing rotation a bit and allows us to not have to play Green at the three allowing Warren more time and eventually possibly turning PJ into a trade asset if we feel Warren and Marcus deserve all the minutes at the 3.

I respect that you are a big Milsap advocate, but I do not see the Hawks trading him nor do I see the Suns trading for him. As for comparing him with Frye, I do not think he brings any of Frye's defensive presence to the post. This is one aspect of Frye's game that the coaches talk about missing with Frye's absence. Milsap is basically a 6'7"power forward who will struggle defensively in the WC, which is full of long, athletic power forwards. In the EC, he will not have as many defensive problems going up against the smaller less athletic players that populate the #4 position. Although I know Tolliver is not as good an overall player as Milsap, he is like Milsap in that he is also significantly undersized to play the 4 for long stretches and will struggle defensively in the post.

If we are trading valuable assets for a big man, I would like for it to be a true big man - not a power forward with the height of a small forward. I would also like the player to be contracted for more than this season.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#13 » by MathiasPW » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:35 pm

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:44 pm

JDLAW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Well since I don't think a premier center or Horford will be available (Horford might be if he continues to be injury prone or just doesn't return as nearly the player he once was, but I don't see why they'd trade him if he comes back as the top notch player he is), I will go with what I posted earlier.

I respect that you are a big Milsap advocate, but I do not see the Hawks trading him nor do I see the Suns trading for him. As for comparing him with Frye, I do not think he brings any of Frye's defensive presence to the post. This is one aspect of Frye's game that the coaches talk about missing with Frye's absence. Milsap is basically a 6'7"power forward who will struggle defensively in the WC, which is full of long, athletic power forwards. In the EC, he will not have as many defensive problems going up against the smaller less athletic players that populate the #4 position. Although I know Tolliver is not as good an overall player as Milsap, he is like Milsap in that he is also significantly undersized to play the 4 for long stretches and will struggle defensively in the post.

If we are trading valuable assets for a big man, I would like for it to be a true big man - not a power forward with the height of a small forward. I would also like the player to be contracted for more than this season.

Well, once again he's listed at 6'8 and I'm not advocating getting him because of his defense. It is only in the event Dragic struggles without a starting quality four who can stretch the floor. He would make our offense run much better.

But I don't think we are going to find a solution to stop the big strong power forwards in the west, which is why I wasn't advocating trading quality assets. They are all assets that likely would earn little to no playing time now and possibly in the future (and of course Green we only have under contract this year anyway and are full of guards and wings). But what a guy like Millsap would provide is the mismatch for the big power forwards in the west and would fit our system like a glove.

Where Frye has a little more size (or at least height), Millsap is much more active on the boards, getting steals and even averaged more blocks last year. Many guys can be extremely effective rebounders and active players despite not having ideal size (eg, Barkley, who was actually quite a bit shorter than Millsap).

But obviously we've had this discussion before and I understand you are not a fan of Millsap.

I probably wouldn't trade him if I was Atlanta though unless I didn't want to invest in him long term after the season. Will they want to if Horford comes back and is a stud but also more effective playing the 4 alongside Antic? I don't know.

Hopefully Kieff proves to be a good starter though so we don't need to worry about a 4 and can just focus on getting a five at some point or hoping Plumlee or Len turn into anything resembling a starter for a solid playoff team.
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#15 » by JDLAW » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:06 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
JDLAW wrote:

Well, once again he's listed at 6'8 and I'm not advocating getting him because of his defense. It is only in the event Dragic struggles without a starting quality four who can stretch the floor. He would make our offense run much better.

But I don't think we are going to find a solution to stop the big strong power forwards in the west, which is why I wasn't advocating trading quality assets. They are all assets that likely would earn little to no playing time now and possibly in the future (and of course Green we only have under contract this year anyway and are full of guards and wings). But what a guy like Millsap would provide is the mismatch for the big power forwards in the west and would fit our system like a glove.

Where Frye has a little more size (or at least height), Millsap is much more active on the boards, getting steals and even averaged more blocks last year. Many guys can be extremely effective rebounders and active players despite not having ideal size (eg, Barkley, who was actually quite a bit shorter than Millsap).

But obviously we've had this discussion before and I understand you are not a fan of Millsap.

I probably wouldn't trade him if I was Atlanta though unless I didn't want to invest in him long term after the season. Will they want to if Horford comes back and is a stud but also more effective playing the 4 alongside Antic? I don't know.

Hopefully Kieff proves to be a good starter though so we don't need to worry about a 4 and can just focus on getting a five at some point or hoping Plumlee or Len turn into anything resembling a starter for a solid playoff team.

I do not dislike Milsap, but I do not see a place for him on the Suns. Milsap has always been an opportunistic weak side shot blocker, but longer players shoot right over the top of him. He literally cannot defend in the post against the longer players. He is listed at 6'8" but that is generous. He seems to fit well in the Eastern Conference and he should stay there. I would not trade Green, Tolliver, and either Ennis or Goodwin for him. Price is too high for a one year rental.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,175

Post#16 » by Frank Lee » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Milsap is who we want KeifMo to become.

The real challenge is not finding the player... it is acquiring him with the limited(expendable) assets we have.
Perhaps this thread should should be named to 'Whaddaya Got for a Big Man ? ' When you approach the equation from that side, it becomes rather challenging.
What ? Me Worry ?
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,190

Post#17 » by Sunsdeuce » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:27 am

@chadfordinsider: With Randle out, what are the Lakers options? Tank like Philly, trade Nash for a vet, or trade Kobe? http://t.co/bTdEy7Os2k (in)

chadfordinsider: Or this version: RT @ESPNNBA: GM on Lakers: “…I don't think they have the [expletive] to trade Kobe.” http://t.co/bTdEy7Os2k

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,934

Post#18 » by carey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:09 am

I couldn't read the article but which team can absorb Kobe at $25 Mil? Did they list even one? That Time Warner deal is tied to ratings. They can't trade him & tank.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#19 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:15 am

carey wrote:I couldn't read the article but which team can absorb Kobe at $25 Mil? Did they list even one? That Time Warner deal is tied to ratings. They can't trade him & tank.

NY still has Stoudemire's deal in their books.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,687

Post#20 » by Qwigglez » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Gerald Green for Greg Monroe. It makes the most sense for both teams.

Return to Phoenix Suns